watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Final Run In

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, February 15, 2017, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Ward-Smith

Blimey, just looking at our final run in and the last 4 away games are all against play-off contenders. How bigger games they all could be and are likely to be! Win a few of those along with the expected wins and we have a big chance of closing the gap and maybe sneaking into the top 6. I believe!

Woolly Mammoth

It's in our hands if we can win every match.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

If we're to sneak into the top 6, as you say, we'd need to have closed the gap before that final run-in of away games against the play-off contenders.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Bill2

Have said this before but with our excellent football this season none of those teams will want to play us especially at that point in the season, even more so if they have not secured promotion/play of places. if we are outside the places we will have nothing to lose so can really have a go at them, if we are in the top 6 and they are not they will have to play an attacking style which will suit us.

So all in all we are not the pushover we were previously so I think the opposition will settle for a point and play accordingly.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Bill2 on February 15, 2017, 03:53:56 PM
Have said this before but with our excellent football this season none of those teams will want to play us especially at that point in the season, even more so if they have not secured promotion/play of places. if we are outside the places we will have nothing to lose so can really have a go at them, if we are in the top 6 and they are not they will have to play an attacking style which will suit us.

So all in all we are not the pushover we were previously so I think the opposition will settle for a point and play accordingly.
While I really enjoy watching some of the stuff we play, it's not necessarily about excellent football.  Take Brighton - they are doing well but not necessarily playing well. They've won a number of games through sheer determination and energy.  (And Sheff Weds aren't exactly footballing purists)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

St Eve

Quote from: Toby Ward-Smith on February 15, 2017, 01:37:29 PM
Blimey, just looking at our final run in and the last 4 away games are all against play-off contenders. How bigger games they all could be and are likely to be! Win a few of those along with the expected wins and we have a big chance of closing the gap and maybe sneaking into the top 6. I believe!
Yes but it is in our hands. My biggest concern is the distraction of the FA Cup final. 5 massive games for us

nose

as the old timers say, don't worry about the run in, the last four games home or away, ..... take each game as it comes.

the last two we were in danger of throwing away points but came back from the brink... 

I do also look at our fixtures and the contenders fixtures, but in the end, let's just beat spurs then worry about bristol city where i fully expect our dreams to crash and burn through lack of squad depth.

Robbie

Personally I hope we (gracefully) lose on Sunday.

Also, I think the intensity of the CS this season will see quite a lot of changes in the last ten or so matches. The Playoffs are easily do-able for FFC.

COYWs !

Riversider

Wonder how many other clubs have got fans forums that are currently discussing this very same subject ? I'm guessing 8 or 9 !
I wonder how many consider Fulham a threat to their ambitions ? I'm guessing 7 !

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: St Eve on February 15, 2017, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: Toby Ward-Smith on February 15, 2017, 01:37:29 PM
Yes but it is in our hands. My biggest concern is the distraction of the FA Cup final. 5 massive games for us

No sweat, we can pick up the FA Cup on the way to our other Wembley appearance in the play off Final.
The next match is the most important, every match between now and the end of the season is massive.
They are all Cup Finals.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Robbie on February 15, 2017, 04:36:55 PM

Also, I think the intensity of the CS this season will see quite a lot of changes in the last ten or so matches. The Playoffs are easily do-able for FFC.

COYWs !

Defeat is not an option, not even glorious defeat, winning becomes a habit, you cannot pick and choose when to win. A competitor competes to win every match, that's why it's called a competition. The players will want to win the toss let alone the match. They can win on adrenaline alone.

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

COYWs !
I understand why but it is so wrong to hope your team lose.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Riversider

Out of interest how many people would rather draw than lose ?
Not me !
A draw is not an option, would rather lose in stoppage time than have another match, and I've bought 7 tickets for Sunday !!!

Last season Brighton finished third and conveniently went out of both cups at the first opportunity, thereby reducing the amount of games played to the absolute minimum.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riversider on February 15, 2017, 05:56:56 PM
Out of interest how many people would rather draw than lose ?
Not me !
A draw is not an option, would rather lose in stoppage time than have another match, and I've bought 7 tickets for Sunday !!!

Last season Brighton finished third and conveniently went out of both cups at the first opportunity, thereby reducing the amount of games played to the absolute minimum.

and despite going out of the cups early, they still couldn't get promoted.

Never forget your Roots.

Riversider

Qualified for the play offs thereby giving themselves a ticket in the lottery.

Woolly Mammoth

But no cigar. Beaten by the team that lost in the Final. Apart from the experiance gained in losing, they didn't even win a coconut. So I don't recommend it as a qualification or a stepping stone to promotion, there is no evidence. Whereas if your winning, and trying to win every game, there is no fear of losing, because you haven't narrowed down your options. Players cannot wait to run out on to the pitch, they want to play, and not even a sore leg will stop them, they thrive on adrenaline, they play without fear.
It's like a Marathon runner training for a 26 mile Marathon, he will train for 20 miles only. Because he knows the Andrenilin will carry him over the line.
That's what sportsmen thrive on, classics example are Bryan Robson and Kevin Keegan, but there were many many others. Players would rather play than train. But also I appreciate you need depth in strength, which is another issue the Board have let Jok down on. But what's new.

Never forget your Roots.

Jem

Quote from: alfie on February 15, 2017, 05:17:44 PM

COYWs !
I understand why but it is so wrong to hope your team lose.

I don't know the answer to that but it is something I have never been able to do.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

toshes mate

You can say at as often as you like - it's music to my ears.

It's a funny game when we play less well than we can and win, and play really well and drop points, with commensurate commentary from supporters.  I haven't seen a Fulham team as convincing as the ten minute first half period when we dominated Forest and tore them apart time after time.  Of course we were not quite so pleasing elsewhere in the game, but surely we have a right to believe we can turn on the good stuff for seventy to eighty percent of a game and become solid and disciplined for the other twenty to thirty percent.  We may not win every game but I fancy we can win by far the majority and that makes play off places a very real possibility. 

We have been a revelation under SJ after so many seasons of being under achievers.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on February 15, 2017, 08:24:16 PM

You can say at as often as you like - it's music to my ears.

It's a funny game when we play less well than we can and win, and play really well and drop points, with commensurate commentary from supporters.  I haven't seen a Fulham team as convincing as the ten minute first half period when we dominated Forest and tore them apart time after time.  Of course we were not quite so pleasing elsewhere in the game, but surely we have a right to believe we can turn on the good stuff for seventy to eighty percent of a game and become solid and disciplined for the other twenty to thirty percent.  We may not win every game but I fancy we can win by far the majority and that makes play off places a very real possibility. 

We have been a revelation under SJ after so many seasons of being under achievers.

Let's hope the Board share your observations and offer Jok a contract he cannot refuse.

Never forget your Roots.