watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spurs were good but we really are going to regret the striker situation

Started by dannyboi-ffc, February 19, 2017, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Martin can't play anymore. The damage is done.

Kebano looked very isolated and leading the line is different to being an impact sub which is what I think he is. Maybe Piazon needs to play up there. He's a good technical player with an eye for goal.

Thing is, I don't actually know the answer after today's result  But we never seem to change our style. Championship teams aren't as good or as quick so I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking today is the end of the world. Spurs are a very good side. But I thought we were too and we showed little desire.

I came away thinking I'd rather lose today like that and move on than get to Wembley, face painting, big day out to see us bottle it. We seem to lack the mental strength to cope with an opposition who isn't scared of us and isn't going to respect us. 

We need to mix it up. Maybe go two up top and play the percentage game from time to time. The midfield trio never get a rest and we don't have any like for like changes. Maybe one needs to come out for a system change just to make us a bit less predictable.

Don't ask me who, I don't have the answers. Even coming away from Wigan and Forest I felt we papered over cracks that our system is beginning to come to the end of its tenure. We need something different and hopefully Frederick's comes back fresh and motivated for starters.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

FPT

Spurs absolutely manipulated us today. They were simply superior; better, quicker, stronger, technically higher footballers that are coached at a very high level.

I have rarely seen us fire channel passes this season, today it happened multiple times because we couldn't play from the back. We tried to play our stuff, but they were simply a different league both on and off the ball.

Also, if we're 100% honest, top six Championship vs. top six Premier League is more than just a division in reality. If we were to get promoted, our "division" would consist of the bottom half at least initially - drawing Bournemouth would have been playing a division above. Playing Tottenham is playing one of the countries elite - and they played like it with phenomenal concentration and professionalism.

This is still a new group; this was an excellent learning curve. We'll forget about this come Saturday and we'll thank the experience come the end of the season.

I don't think there's anything to regret - on top of that - I don't think we have the players to dig in and counter. We've built an exciting, attacking, possession based team that dominates a large majority of its matches and will frequently play how it has been designed.

We have signed 16 new players since the summer transfer window, in reality, this was a year of establishing ourselves as competitors. We, like Brighton did this season, Middlesbrough the season before, Bournemouth the year before that; have an opportunity to put that final bit of seasoning on top of a side that just missed out on its goal. Bournemouth played very similar style of football to us in the Championship and finished 10th and 6 points behind the final play off spot, before adding four quality players (Gosling, Stanislas, Surman and Wilson) in the summer window which fuelled their successful promotion charge.

We have the core of a promotion squad and success or not this season, today (nor moments this year) should not stop us from playing our football. The only other alternative is a 352 because the midfield trio is so vital to our game.

I'm happy with where we are and where we are going - as I say - if we are not promoted this season and Slavisa Jokanovic remains in charge: I will be putting money on automatic promotion for us.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Luka on February 19, 2017, 07:27:37 PM
Cyriac maybe?

Why not. He looked like he had a great spring today when hanging for a couple of headers

F(f)CUK

We need someone who can hold up the ball. Martin is the only player that we have that can play that role. Sadly I think we have to play him.

HeinekenFFC

Quote from: F(f)CUK on February 19, 2017, 08:19:16 PM
We need someone who can hold up the ball. Martin is the only player that we have that can play that role. Sadly I think we have to play him.

Precisely. Just because us fans don't like him doesn't mean he shouldn't play. He would have at least been more physical with Vertonghen and Alderweireld today. He's our best striker by far and fits perfectly into what we try and do.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on February 19, 2017, 06:42:28 PM

Kebano looked very isolated and leading the line is different to being an impact sub which is what I think he is. Maybe Piazon needs to play up there. He's a good technical player with an eye for goal.

Thing is, I don't actually know the answer after today's result  But we never seem to change our style. Championship teams aren't as good or as quick so I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking today is the end of the world. Spurs are a very good side. But I thought we were too and we showed little desire.

I came away thinking I'd rather lose today like that and move on than get to Wembley, face painting, big day out to see us bottle it. We seem to lack the mental strength to cope with an opposition who isn't scared of us and isn't going to respect us. 

We need to mix it up. Maybe go two up top and play the percentage game from time to time. The midfield trio never get a rest and we don't have any like for like changes. Maybe one needs to come out for a system change just to make us a bit less predictable.

Don't ask me who, I don't have the answers. Even coming away from Wigan and Forest I felt we papered over cracks that our system is beginning to come to the end of its tenure. We need something different and hopefully Frederick's comes back fresh and motivated for starters.
I must admit I wondered when Martin didnt even make a sub's appearance as to whether Joka really is done with him. I agree 100% that Kebano was not the answer and after Tuesday would have preferred Piazon. I also wonder whether as you say we are a little too one dimensional and if we come against someone who presses us high like Spurs, like Wednesday did we run out of options to do our recycle pass and move and we have no route one option.
I think thats a coaching and set up issue, as much as we are dependent on players to do as asked by the manager and sometimes its obvious they dont, he sets us up in the same way every game. Occasional minor tweaks but I hope after today he relents on Martin and forgives the lackluster effort against Birmingham.
Quark, strangeness and charm

hopper

Surprised why Martin is first mention. Thought it was noticable how he could have been a useful player in a game like this actually where the ball was being played forward long a few times.

Agree on much of the rest. No real regrets, not a lack of effort - but quality of spurs far too much for us.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Statto on February 19, 2017, 09:37:03 PM
Cyriac looked excellent again so there's the solution right there

Martin can still play but has been relegated to third or fourth choice after Kebano and ayite.

Kebano and ayite are looking better each week. Kebano looked isolated today because our midfield was overwhelmed by wanyama, Alli and eriksen. Personally not worried at all about us going forward unless the likes of Cardiff and Bristol city also have wanyama, Alli and Eriksen playing for them
Agree
I did think that Ayite want at the races today though
I think Cyriac should be our striker and personally don't want to see Martin in the line up. Just me!

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: hopper on February 19, 2017, 09:35:34 PM

Surprised why Martin is first mention. Thought it was noticable how he could have been a useful player in a game like this actually where the ball was being played forward long a few times.

Agree on much of the rest. No real regrets, not a lack of effort - but quality of spurs far too much for us.

First mention because we needed him today but IMO he shouldn't play for us again. Meaning the system has to be tweaked not to have an out and out striker. Today proved we have no alternative to Martin.

But as quite rightly pointed out, no one in our league has a midfield as good as spurs. And normally we don't play long anyway so we need to find a way that fits either Cyriac, Piazon, Ayite or Kebano.

As much as he should be, I don't think it's right for Martin to play for us again. I'm just happy he can't for Derby either.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Twig

I agree we are light on strikers, that's a no brainer but I think we are discussing the wrong point.  Danny says in his OP that we never seem to change our style. However, I thought that was just what we did last night, we hit long balls to a loan striker far more often than I have seen in the league this year.  In those circumstances neither Kebano nor Cyriac would be right but that is not how we normally play.  For those reasons I think the jury remains out on Kebano and Cyriac until we see each of them enjoy a few starts in the league.
BTW I am not sure that the change of style I refer to was planned, it seemed to me that Spurs pressing style forced us into it.  Championship level players panicked into a reaction against a team that were technically much more gifted and who seemed on the day to have far greater desire.

Slaphead in Qatar

Before Spurs game we scored 3 times in each of last 2 games without Martin. We don't have a problem scoring. Yesterday lack of striker was not a problem. Our midfield was non existent and we played one of the best teams in the country who were trying their best.

hovewhite

No matter ho was up front v spurs as our midfield was not at the races and the long hopeful balls down the channels.i would start cyriac myself v bristol.

Riverside

When did we last have have less than 40% of the possession ? (when did we have less than 50% even ?)

We are set up to dominate and we outclassed and fought across the pitch yesterday .

Against Bristol we should be back to the possession game and in the last 1.5 without Martin we have scored 5 goals so I don't think we have a problem up front .

Defence has been the weaklink and with Kalas and Fredricks back we should be stronger .

Lets not be dispirited losing to one of the big 6 .

Lighthouse

Martin may have been a better option to try and hold the ball up to bring in our midfield. But I doubt it would have made much difference. We do play a certain way and seem to have to change things a little without Martin playing but have trouble defending and seem to lose shape very easily. 7 goals conceded in three games and the Spuds result flattered us.

But the point about the striker situation will be repeated and repeated and is the main reason we are going nowhere. All Summer, all January, selling or loaning out strikers and we are left with a new loanee who looks eager and a loanee who has stated he doesn't want to be here. However much I doubt the over praise about some of our players or the genius of our manager. I do agree that the club will have had a year to bring in a striker who wants to be here and failed to do so. I really doubt they can do the job next Summer. That will be why we will be in also runs this season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

toshes mate

Quote from: FPT on February 19, 2017, 08:01:50 PM
I'm happy with where we are and where we are going - as I say - if we are not promoted this season and Slavisa Jokanovic remains in charge: I will be putting money on automatic promotion for us.

An excellent post that I have clipped but would encourage others to read in its entirety.  Some really profound and thoughtful comments on our performance.  I wholeheartedly agree with what you say and echo your last sentence which I quote above.