watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just back from the game

Started by NorthernWhite, August 28, 2010, 08:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

and a top day out. Good to be back at Blackpool again although when the rain started chucking it down and we were 2 - 1 down, it was dejavous again from the last time I was there in '98. The stadium has changed beyond all recognition and is a nice little ground although it's a shame they couldn't keep any of the original character as it's another Ikea, flat pack, idenitkit stadium. A few teething problems getting in and I can't remember the last time I had to queue for a Fulham away game in the North! A good atmosphere from both sets of fans and we took a good number which was good to see.

I guess some will be moaning about the draw but that was always going to be a really tough game, a newly promoted team on the home debut. Remember Hull and Utd at Burnley last year? I'd like to see Blackpool stay up for a couple of reasons:-

1/ It's always a good away day in Blackpool
2/ Their fans will give it their all
3/ They're trying to play good football without hoofing it up field at every opportunity. Yes, they could take a battering away against some teams but at home, they'll definately cause problems to a lot of teams. Good to see

The positives for me today?
Zamora led the line very well again but we did lose shape and purpose after he went off.
Dembele, great to see a player go for it and dribble the ball. He looks an exciting prospect and put some good balls in for the goals, especially the 2nd. He had a great run into the box late in the game and should have scored but away from home, it's nice to see someone going for it.
What a finish by Etuhu! He's going forward well and when he was put through, I couldn't believe his composure with that lovely dinked finish, great to see!
Overall, we're definitely attacking more which will lead to more goals against but I'm actually looking forward to away games again to see us go for it. Another late goal for us as well so the spirit is still very strong and shows a refusal to give in.

Negatives. After Bobby went off, we lost shape up front and gave them far too much space without closing them down. This will take Hughes some time to get them doing it his way but I believe this will change.

We missed Konch today and I'm looking forward to seeing Salcido play on the left. Kelly filled in admirably but we had some great breaks down the left that petered out as Kelly wasn't confident with his left peg. Just before their equaliser he was in the box and should have blasted it with his left peg but tried to get it on his right, the move broke down and they went straight up and scored.

Pantsil, not looking good this season, looked a liability and he needs some competition for that spot which should see him up his game or lose his spot.

Murphy. From towards the end of last season I've not seen him give the ball away so much and today looked very leggy. We really need to upgrade here. He's still got the great football brain but the legs aren't following.

Duff. Not really at the races today going forwards altough did make some good tackles. Holloway made sure the defence knew not to let him cut in on his left foot on the edge of the box which nullified him. Hopefully he'll be better in the next game.

Striker. We need options up front but I'm sure this will be rectified in the coming days.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyable day out and good luck to Blackpool, I hope you stay up.

Andy Crysell

Great post, NW.

I caught most of it online, and a point each looked fair.

Dembele looks top class.  Great dribbler and an incredible ball for our 2nd goal.  Genius signing, young Sparky!!

COYW!!   :045:

Fernhurst

Can't beat a report from somone actually at the game....... thank you NW ...... very fair and enjoyable read.

Oakeshott

re Murphy, I was rather surprised that he was played on Wednesday - three games in six days, albeit quite early in the season - is quite a lot.

Jimpav

Good report mate. I enjoyed that.

Just watching football first but it's always better to hear it from a live perspective.

Travers Barney

Dembele's a prospect alright...very pleasing on the eye.

Dickson was my MOM.

Good turnout and hospitable reception received by the Blackpool fans in the nearby social club....how it should be.

Top day out

We are the whites
We are the whites

LRCN

thanks for the report mate. you also mentioned a possible transfer with given?

NorthernWhite

Quote from: Lork on August 29, 2010, 12:59:14 AM
thanks for the report mate. you also mentioned a possible transfer with given?

Cheers Lork.

Nothing much on Given. He was in front of me in a coffee shop looking at the football pages in the paper so I thought too good a chance to turn down to ask him if he's coming to us. Said it's a possibility but not sure yet. Did say that Schwarzer was on his way.

Nice guy but not as tall as I thought he'd be for a keeper! Looked on stats and they say he's 6 or 6.1. I'd be happy to see him arrive and said that too him (not you're shorter than I thought!) and he said thanks.

White Noise

Thanks for that Northern White - sounds like an excellent day. I was surprised how tall Given was up close - I had always thought he was 5'9 or something. The other thing that struck me is how powerfully built he is. His upper body is like that of a boxer or wrestler. He has always looked good at making himself big and has never been short of physical courage. I agree with Lork he is probably not in the top 10 of Prem keepers at present but I think he may be top 12. I think we got lucky with Schwarzer and can't expect to find a ready and affordable replacement just like that. Keepers are also paid a lot more these days and most will probably be on more than Marks reported £28k a week.

How did Simon Davies and Damian Duff do out of interest? Any signs as to why they are not as effective as last season yet?

epsomraver

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 28, 2010, 09:46:07 PM
Can't beat a report from somone actually at the game....... thank you NW ...... very fair and enjoyable read.

Good report, you cannot beat a report from someone there.

NorthernWhite

How did Simon Davies and Damian Duff do out of interest? Any signs as to why they are not as effective as last season yet?
[/quote]

Davies had a good game and was full of running again. I think it will take a little time for him to get an understanding with where Dembele will be positioned. Looks like he's carried on from last years form.

Duff looked off the pace yesterday even though he's positioned on the right again. Hopefully only a temporary blip.

finnster01

Thanks for that report Mr NW, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that from across the pond :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Tom

Great report NorthernWhite! :54:  I love reading people's reports who go to the game. Gives you a good perspective if you are not there.
Fulham for life!

EdenRob

I'm also just back from Blackpool having spent the w/e there. Read your report NW, You weren't the guy I spoke to on the way out were you, said you only lived an hour away?
Your report was much as I would have done it myself. I was especially impressed with Dembele; he has clever feet, looked for team mates and will link well with Bobby. Good to hear the fans chanting his name already. Disappointed with Clint who looked off colour today, and with JP who was at fault with both goals.
My biggest disappointment though was not getting a ride on "The Big One" at the Pleasure beach coz of high winds  :006:

NorthernWhite

Quote from: EdenRob on August 29, 2010, 07:02:25 PM
I'm also just back from Blackpool having spent the w/e there. Read your report NW, You weren't the guy I spoke to on the way out were you, said you only lived an hour away?

It was me, did you enjoy the rest of your stay? I took the lad for fish and chips on the pier after the game. Shame you couldn't get on the big one, it was bloody windy though!

NogoodBoyo

Eee, ecky thump that boy Northern can sure write misterful pen strokes.  Were almost like he were there it was.
Nogoood "oooh scratch my back" Boyo