watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Slav v Kahn v Klein

Started by NogoodBoyo, February 24, 2017, 09:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NogoodBoyo

Alright, I'm going to throw my hat into the gaudy ring of the new management factions at Fulham and opinions on statistical analysis.
I just don't agree with the anti-stats brigade.  Here's a reason why and it hurts to say it:
I watched the Welsh rugby players perform like lions in the recent game against England in Cardiff.  They were moving inexorably towards a famous victory when a small number of bad decisions or actions (none of them huge) let England in for a brilliant try which sealed an unlikely victory in the dying embers of the game.
The general consensus was that Wales had outplayed England but contrived to lose.  Why?  How?  In amongst all the post match guff spewed by both sides, the English management let loose one little tidbit of information which explained it all:
They spend a lot of time in training and at games measuring the fitness and performance rates of players in the last quarter of tough physical battles.  What struck me was an admission that they even measure the time it takes players to get back on their feet after hitting the ground in that period.
Ladies and gentlemen, that is modern day sports management, that is what statistical analysis  in sports is all about, that attention to detail is what it takes to win at the top level.  And that is why England won on that day (as well as many more) and that is why Slavisa needs to embrace, even own the statistical analysis rather than fighting it.
If he does that, we will go far.  If he doesn't he will go.
Nogood "diawl but that did hurt too, see" Boyo

ToodlesMcToot

No doubt in my mind that Fulham have seen the last of the days where managers manage without analytic impacting their decisions. And I imagine that Slavisa has been completely happy to have that input and insight.

The only things he's ever expressed a bit of disgust about are the amount of time that transfers are taking and the notion that someone other than him could say no to a player he rated. I think he's got his mind round the latter. I hope he's continuing to provide his opinions on the former. Can't see how anyone at the club could argue that getting transfer business done sooner rather than later would serve us all well.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude