watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

our crowd

Started by nose, March 07, 2017, 11:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

i love fukham and the fans and the atmosphere but just occasionally our middle class good humour costs us.
the atmosphere should have been toxic towards the man in black and his one sided approach to being a ref, if that would have been at leeds and he would have done the same the crowd would have been so ugly toward him they surely would have had at least one penalty and possibly two sendings off for the other team.

as it is he got a mild bit of jeering for as blantant a bit of cheating as you could ever wish to see. i hope we never have him at one of our games again, he rivals halsey and d'urso for his lack of integrity.

Woolly Mammoth

The worrying aspect is that the standard of refereeing is at an all time low, as are the lino's. As you say, they pretend they do not see the incident, and or, just lay an egg and bottle it, which is the same as cheating.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

nose

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 07, 2017, 11:40:19 PM
The worrying aspect is that the standard of refereeing is at an all time low, as are the lino's. As you say, they pretend they do not see the incident, and or, just lay an egg and bottle it, which is the same as cheating.

call it what you like, as soon as i saw who the ref was i knew there would be massive irregularities....  halsey and d'urso the same. it doesn't even out with these guys, it is relentless.    and mr poll, to be fair was just as bad and i recall him telling a supporter how much he hated the cottage because the referees changing room was small and olde worlde.

mrmicawbers

Talking about our crowd.Twice as many as many as our friends down the road. 064.gif

bobbo

I thought he was extremely poor but he wasn't bias I'm pretty confident saying that refs never are, but some are just not up to it and yes , as already stated they take the easy option when they are not sure. I also hope we never get probert again , too card happy and too inconsistent.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: mrmicawbers on March 07, 2017, 11:49:31 PM
Talking about our crowd.Twice as many as many as our friends down the road. 064.gif
[/quote

We probably welcomed 5 times more away fans though.. .

The Enclosurite

We had this discussion last night.

If the role had been reversed and the decisions were made against Leeds at Elland Road they would've been baying for blood.

I wouldn't want our fans to be totally mental like some support we see but we do need to get a bit more vocal at times when we are feeling wronged.
¡COYW!

BedsFFC

I disagree. I think many of our fans have sent some very strong worded letters to the Daily Mail overnight. No punches have been pulled.

toshes mate

Sadly the FA have a major problem with refereeing the whole way down to the bottom.  There was a strike by referees last Sunday because of the abuse they receive from players which is not adequately investigated and punished by the FA borne out by independent investigators.  Likewise at the higher levels of officialdom the standard of refereeing is often so poor matches would often appear to be better off without them.  And so if the younger, better referees leave the game through lack of support from the FA before they have a chance to officiate at more senior levels then we will continue to see the rubbish rise up through the ranks and the standards fall to rock bottom.  The football authorities are coming under greater and greater pressure from government to be more positive, and fair, in controlling the game, honouring the rules, and dispensing their justice and not just be there for the money, privilege and status and little else.    The FA needs major reform.

BedsFFC

Quote from: toshes mate on March 08, 2017, 10:25:57 AM

Sadly the FA have a major problem with refereeing the whole way down to the bottom.  There was a strike by referees last Sunday because of the abuse they receive from players which is not adequately investigated and punished by the FA borne out by independent investigators.  Likewise at the higher levels of officialdom the standard of refereeing is often so poor matches would often appear to be better off without them.  And so if the younger, better referees leave the game through lack of support from the FA before they have a chance to officiate at more senior levels then we will continue to see the rubbish rise up through the ranks and the standards fall to rock bottom.  The football authorities are coming under greater and greater pressure from government to be more positive, and fair, in controlling the game, honouring the rules, and dispensing their justice and not just be there for the money, privilege and status and little else.    The FA needs major reform.

I got quite annoyed last Sunday. Patrick Barclay was a guest on a radio show. "Paddy" is an esteemed football journalist. He was a guest and they then had the boxer that beat Haye and his manager on the show. Barclay was pretty hard on them about all the pre-fight shenanigans. He quoted a few lines that mainly Haye had been involved in.
The things said were pretty low but I my feeling is that these are modern day gladiators. Their job is to hurt each other. I imagine that if any of us on here had to stand in that ring for 3 minutes against one of them, I imagine there is a good chance that we would never stand again.

Many Professional footballers week-in and week-out will snarl obscenities at both the ref and his assistants. Much of it, far nastier than the stuff before the fight. This is shown most days into living rooms across the country watched by impressionable kids. I'm no prude. I play football. This stuff goes down the line all the way to under 7's football.

I just felt that if Barclay is so aggrieved by this, he should start a campaign closer to home.

We had a ref last season and before the game he said to us. "If you swear at yourself because you've made a mistake. Fine. No problem. If you swear at me, I'm going to send you off."

Everyone looked at each other and just nodded. Yeh, fair enough ref.

As you may realise, it winds me up.

filham

Quote from: nose on March 07, 2017, 11:33:02 PM
i love fukham and the fans and the atmosphere but just occasionally our middle class good humour costs us.
the atmosphere should have been toxic towards the man in black and his one sided approach to being a ref, if that would have been at leeds and he would have done the same the crowd would have been so ugly toward him they surely would have had at least one penalty and possibly two sendings off for the other team.

as it is he got a mild bit of jeering for as blantant a bit of cheating as you could ever wish to see. i hope we never have him at one of our games again, he rivals halsey and d'urso for his lack of integrity.
Sorry Nose but this post is out of order.
The referee last night made some mistakes, he missed a good Fulham goal, he let a lot of time wasting and bad tackling by Leeds players go unpunished and he also missed one or two misdemeanours by our players.
The ref had a bad game but it is totally wrong to accuse him of cheating, there is no evidence to that effect and it is about the most offensive accusation you can make about a referee.
I thought our fans were good last night and reacted well to a good team performance.
We really don't want to see crowd behavior bordering on violence as you suggest.

dhowells21

Quote from: BedsFFC on March 08, 2017, 11:34:44 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on March 08, 2017, 10:25:57 AM

I got quite annoyed last Sunday. Patrick Barclay was a guest on a radio show. "Paddy" is an esteemed football journalist. He was a guest and they then had the boxer that beat Haye and his manager on the show. Barclay was pretty hard on them about all the pre-fight shenanigans. He quoted a few lines that mainly Haye had been involved in.
The things said were pretty low but I my feeling is that these are modern day gladiators. Their job is to hurt each other. I imagine that if any of us on here had to stand in that ring for 3 minutes against one of them, I imagine there is a good chance that we would never stand again.

Many Professional footballers week-in and week-out will snarl obscenities at both the ref and his assistants. Much of it, far nastier than the stuff before the fight. This is shown most days into living rooms across the country watched by impressionable kids. I'm no prude. I play football. This stuff goes down the line all the way to under 7's football.

I just felt that if Barclay is so aggrieved by this, he should start a campaign closer to home.

We had a ref last season and before the game he said to us. "If you swear at yourself because you've made a mistake. Fine. No problem. If you swear at me, I'm going to send you off."

Everyone looked at each other and just nodded. Yeh, fair enough ref.

As you may realise, it winds me up.

Smart words.

What I don't truly understand, is that referee you mentioned wasn't exactly being revolutionary either. But if every grassroots ref did that, you would foster a different environment towards referees. (A similar environment to what rugby refs have). And it would snowball. I would never ever dream of refereeing because of the levels of vile abuse you receive. But if you take that out of the game, I would genuinely consider doing it. And I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

You're not asking the FA to provide 3/4 extra officials per match, or get video analysis for Sunday League. It's simple. Foul or aggressive language towards officials, regardless of level should not be tolerated. Better atmosphere, better environment = better refs.

Why the referees do it now is beyond me. It sure as hell isn't for the money, and I honestly can't see what part of that is enjoyable.

Lighthouse

I really don't see how hurling abuse at referees when they make mistake actually helps. I do agree that they need help from their assistants and technology in a few cases. Overall the standard is not improving because the game itself continues to improve, speed up and make life hard to referee.

I was always against technology but realise that for goals and now certain penalty decisions the referees need help. How these things can be achieved right across the game is hard to say. But with the Championship improving all the time it is hard not to insist the refs have help. However I am not convinced they are deliberately against any team or player. They are just inconsistent and a bit thick at times.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

kdjr100

I used to referee, it's an impossible job, but 90% of the mistakes come from a lack of concentration. Additionally at the lower levels emphasis is put less on making the correct calls than on successfully controlling the game.
"and there's a tidal wave on the Thames!"