watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would we win the playoffs?

Started by Matty389, March 09, 2017, 11:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty389

Hypothetical question - but if we were to make it to the playoffs (which I strongly believe we will based on the other nights performance against Leeds) would we be able to win them? I think that based on a Huddersfield, Leeds, reading fulham finish we have proven that we can THRASH Huddersfield and then it would be Leeds or reading in the finals - we absolutely dominated Leeds and I would argue that reading are a weaker opponent than Leeds - all we need is this last push and a good run of form and I really think we could do it... just looked up the odds too and Fulhams odds to win the playoffs are more likely than reading which I thought was quite insightful...

on another note - Martin needs to be dropped he was shockingly lethargic on Tuesday night and cyriac looked hungry and energised!! 

Holders

There's no guarantee that getting to the play-offs means anything more than a few more matches. Not the best team will necessarily go up, luck plays a major part.

Remember Grimsby and take nothing for granted - IF we get there.

But just getting there would be success in itself and put down a marker for next year.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

I suspect that our run in over the next eleven games will determine how well we do in the play-offs if we get there.  Judging by the respect given to us by Leeds on Tuesday night we would be considered a threat to any of the other three contenders. The home and away basis of the first part of the play-offs does favour tactics rather than simply the best team wins.  They are generally nervy, tight and stressful matches to play in and watch with so much riding on the results.  Getting to Wembley would be a feat in itself and that final match more like a cup final than anything else.   With so many young, energetic and skillful players in the squad we could do a lot better than may be expected.  I think SJ and his coaching staff will have the team well prepared however things pan out, and I don't think they'll be too worried about who we play.

Holders

IF we make the play-offs we'd be the form team of the four just to have put the run together to get there.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Quote from: Holders on March 09, 2017, 12:48:49 PM
IF we make the play-offs we'd be the form team of the four just to have put the run together to get there.
Agreed, but form is determined already among the top six by results rather than performance. Points win play-off places and our problem has been the lack of them rather than playing football  better than almost any other team.  To get to the play-offs we would be both getting points and playing football better than anyone else the conundrum that SJ has been trying to crack piece by piece for the whole eight months of this season so far. 

Bassey the warrior

If we get there let's just hope it doesn't go to penalties. :p

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Absolutely.
We can beat anyone one the day, but it is a bit of a lottery

eg: Zamora's goal for QPR
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

We Are Premier League

To get to (and win) the playoff, Cairney, Johansen, Kalas and McD need to remain fit and on form for more or less all of the remaining 14 games. I unfortunately think an injury or slight fatigue will break our dream...

Black and White Town

We'd have a decent shot at it, as would the other 3 teams. I don't think there's a team that we couldn't beat on our good days, but equally any team can beat us on our bad ones!

dannyboi-ffc

I think we would. In fact I feel the hard part for us is closing the gap and getting in the top 6. If we can manage that we would be the team everyone will be scared of.

We would have momentum on our side
Huddersfield or Brighton will hopefully push each other close for promotion leaving the other deflated going into the playoffs.
The only one to be wary of is probably Wednesday because they have plenty of match winners. But let's be honest we are the best side out of the 5 and over 2 legs I think we would be too strong. And out of the 5 Wembley would suit us best. Big pitch, quick players, smooth surface for our passing.

I know it's all in my head but I've done a very good job of convincing myself. And I think with the bookies we would be the favourites.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

WoodyFFC73

Yes we can, why not? If we make The play offs that suggests our form has been excellent as only excellent form will get us there, barring a team above us completely imploding. That form alone would give me confidence that we could do it. And as others have said, not many teams want to play us at the moment. I haven't given up hope yet, even if we lose on Saturday. We can do this.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

We can, and have beat, any of the teams in the play offs. I hate the say it, but I'm not totally sure we are ready for the next level just yet. The experience of that sort of match would do the younger players wonders, but I think we should concentrate on finishing as high as possible this season, with the view of attracting better players in the summer, and dominating next year from the start.

Just my opinion.....
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on March 09, 2017, 03:20:48 PM
I agree that theoretically our superiority over the other teams should show over two legs and the big Wembley pitch should suit us as well.

My concern is we'll likely finish 5th or 6th and be home first leg, where I can see a team coming to CC and playing for a draw, timewasting, fouling etc like Wednesday did when we played them. Then if someone gets a score draw at CC that gives us a very challenging second leg.
Agreed. 2nd leg home is a big advantage. Also, Huddersfield don't look like the team we beat 5-0 any more. Although still in the same position, they are playing better football now.

But as said in other posts, we can beat anyone .. or lose to anyone ... on our day. We would have a good chance.

Woolly Mammoth

You cannot choose when you think your ready to challenge to go up. You have to grab any opportunity when it presents itself, as it may not present itself again any sooner.
I think the hard part is achieving a top six place. But once there, and it would certainly make every player feel 7ft tall. Over two legs may suit us better, with our style and system of play. As for the final at Wembley, the wide open spaces should suit us as well as anyone.
Then it's all on the day, and we deserve the rub of the green more than most.
But it feels great just talking about it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 09, 2017, 04:03:38 PM
You cannot choose when you think your ready to challenge to go up. You have to grab any opportunity when it presents itself, as it may not present itself again any sooner.
I think the hard part is achieving a top six place. But once there, and it would certainly make every player feel 7ft tall. Over two legs may suit us better, with our style and system of play. As for the final at Wembley, the wide open spaces should suit us as well as anyone.

Absolutely right. Whether we'd survive or not right now is irrelevant - if we get a chance to go up then I absolutely expect everyone at the club to do everything to take it.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

andyk

We would bottle it, guaranteed. Remember Bristol Rovers, thrashed 4-0 at the Cottage, Walker sent off, classic fail.i

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 09, 2017, 04:03:38 PM
Every player 7ft tall, that would be good for defending corners!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: andyk on March 09, 2017, 08:07:02 PM
We would bottle it, guaranteed. Remember Bristol Rovers, thrashed 4-0 at the Cottage, Walker sent off, classic fail.i
Don't bring back that memory please, the only game I ever left early in 60 years and half way down Finlay Street I heard the roar that they had scored again.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

andyk

Quote from: davew on March 09, 2017, 08:16:57 PM
Quote from: andyk on March 09, 2017, 08:07:02 PM
Don't bring back that memory please, the only game I ever left early in 60 years and half way down Finlay Street I heard the roar that they had scored again.

Sorry Dave, I will revert to my usual irrational optimism.

Huddersfield are the best of the teams in the play off places and we took them to the cleaners.
If we make the play offs we will walk into the Premier League.