Main Menu

If we get a penalty tomorrow

Started by The Swan, March 17, 2017, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Quote from: davew on March 17, 2017, 11:00:10 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on March 17, 2017, 09:59:53 PM
Cyriac has by far the best penalty record so him for me
Correct for Fulham, taken none and missed none (lol)!

but he hasnt scored one either

Holders

Quote from: Newry FFC on March 17, 2017, 11:06:42 PM
At worst we should aim to hit the crossbar , for it to come outside the box THEN cairney can have a crack.

If it hits the crossbar it'll bounce down behind the line and be disallowed. Better to aim to miss then it stands a chance of going in.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

AlexW132

Quote from: Nero on March 18, 2017, 12:01:58 AM

I'm talking about his record at previous clubs. Scored 9 Missed 0

Jem

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 17, 2017, 11:27:25 PM
Quote from: Newry FFC on March 17, 2017, 11:06:42 PM
At worst we should aim to hit the crossbar , for it to come outside the box THEN cairney can have a crack.

A good idea as Wolves will not be expecting that. So the plan is, and it has to be restricted and confidential information. The plan is, Ream takes the penalty and aims for the crossbar, when the ball rebounds off the bar, unknown to the opponents, Button has crept up on the blindside unmarked, chests the ball down and after signing the ball with a Parker Fountain Pen, he hits it on the half volley, firing into the back of the net with such venom, the Wolves goalkeeper catches pneumonia with the draft of it as it sails passed. ⚽️
Only to be disallowed for handball :(
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

simplyfulham

We should probably just not bother.. Just roll it back to the keeper and start again I say. Let's not keep up this pretence of 'trying' to score from penalties.

Holders

Perhaps if we're awarded a penalty we could appeal for an indirect free kick. Anyway, what do we dread most - a penalty to us or a penalty to them?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Cyriac or McDonald for me, but, as an alternative and in the interests of fair play, could we not insist that Wolves do not have a goalkeeper, as it would slightly reduce the odds in our favour? 

valdeingruo

Quote from: Statto on March 18, 2017, 10:01:22 AM
Quote from: cmg on March 17, 2017, 11:19:16 PM
As far as I can ascertain Kevin McDonald has never taken a penalty at any time in his professional career.
I would be happy to be corrected on this point.

He played 126 times for Wolves and scored 8 goals. None of them were penalties as far as I can make out.

During this time he took part in 3 matches which went to penalty shoot outs (including one against us) - he did not take a penalty in any of them!

If he has any talent (or inclination) in this area he has been keeping it very, very quiet.

Thought it sounded strange that our most accomplished penalty taker hadn't been given a chance. Well done for clarifying.

So In that case it's Cyriac for me

I'm not one for YouTube usually but with penalties it's pretty easy to tell, he can hit a penalty and on top of that half of them were pretty cheeky, which to me means confidence.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Grumpy Worthing White

If we get a penalty I will have to go down the beach and bury my head in the sand.......if the tides out.

Twig

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AlexW132 on March 18, 2017, 08:01:23 AM
Quote from: Nero on March 18, 2017, 12:01:58 AM

I'm talking about his record at previous clubs. Scored 9 Missed 0

If he has converted 9 out of 9 then he is due to miss one.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on March 18, 2017, 09:49:05 AM
Cyriac or McDonald for me, but, as an alternative and in the interests of fair play, could we not insist that Wolves do not have a goalkeeper, as it would slightly reduce the odds in our favour? 

Only slightly though I fear, as the goal is only 8 feet high and 8 yards wide.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Robbie

BTW - The FT has one of the best pieces today on penalty taking and game theory.

"How to save a penalty: the truth about football's toughest shot"  interviewing Diego Alves .. one of the best penalty stoppers ever.

I hope someone at FFC has a subscription to the FT ... it is all there ... all the psychology, tactics, stats on which side a striker will hit the ball.

ONE FACT - "On average, 60-70 per cent of penalties are still scored after the keeper dives the right way".