https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mid season sackings

Started by aaronmcguigan, March 21, 2017, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on March 22, 2017, 06:59:39 PM
agree with you toshes mate

i think we are conflating multiple different issues. transfer windows don't limit player power or prevent situation's like martin's, which actually started before the window opened and he's still not getting in the team now, two months since it closed

my understanding is the old transfer deadline around April was to stop clubs dramatically changing their teams in the late stages of a season to alter its outcome, which seems reasonable

i honeslty don't know what the current two-window system is designed to achieve, except to justify the existence of some anonymous bent slimeballs in switzerland (aka FIFA) and/or to create the media circus mentioned

We are on the same page, Statto.  We both know what FIFA is good for and it isn't pleasant reading.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: toshes mate on March 22, 2017, 05:44:24 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on March 22, 2017, 03:32:15 PM
I don't accept arguments about restraint of trade or freedom of movement. What about honouring contracts freely entered into? Players shouldn be careful about what contracts they sign and put in a buyout clause if they think that they might want to move onwards before the end of their contract.

A transfer window also dampens down players throwing a wobbly and downing tools because they can't move until the next window. It is just like a 3-4 month notice period.

Mmm, how does a transfer window resolve the issue of what is in a player's contract?  The answer is it doesn't.  It simply creates the expectation of two periods a year when a lot of horse trading will be done which is great for the media.   Football needs to toughen up what happens when contracts are flagrantly breached.

Why would you think I was linking contracts with transfer windows?

As my post clearly states I was commenting on points raised by earlier posters.

westcliff white

I don't accept arguments about restraint of trade or freedom of movement. What about honouring contracts freely entered into? Players shouldn be careful about what contracts they sign and put in a buyout clause if they think that they might want to move onwards before the end of their contract.

A transfer window also dampens down players throwing a wobbly and downing tools because they can't move until the next window. It is just like a 3-4 month notice period.
Thats a valid point, but on the other side clubs should then honour them too rather than accepting a bid for the player.

Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on March 23, 2017, 02:02:11 PM

Mmm, how does a transfer window resolve the issue of what is in a player's contract?  The answer is it doesn't.  It simply creates the expectation of two periods a year when a lot of horse trading will be done which is great for the media.   Football needs to toughen up what happens when contracts are flagrantly breached.

You said 'A transfer window also dampens down players throwing a wobbly and downing tools' which links the subjects together.  But if that is not what you meant then so be it.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: toshes mate on March 23, 2017, 04:40:52 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on March 23, 2017, 02:02:11 PM

You said 'A transfer window also dampens down players throwing a wobbly and downing tools' which links the subjects together.  But if that is not what you meant then so be it.

Tenuous as a link at best and clearly not what I was saying.

Maybe we can agree on somethings: if it is as most think the loan arrangements were set up then Martin, McClaren and Derby should have been punished for their behaviour over his possible return to Derby.