Main Menu

RYAN SESSEGNON | Fulham | Goals, Skills, Assists

Started by WhiteJC, March 27, 2017, 02:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Barrett487

Three Signs As To Why Ryan Sessegnon Could Be The Next Gareth Bale

Having broken into the Fulham team last season as a 16-year-old without a professional contract, Ryan Sessegnon has been busy setting the Championship alight and moves have been afoot to get him to the Premier League, mainly by Tottenham and Liverpool.

Those clubs can see serious potential, enough to pay crazy money perhaps, and in Spurs' case they are clearly reminded of a certain Gareth Bale. Here are three striking signs which show that he is fast becoming 'the next Gareth Bale':

His Pace
Sessegnon is a lightning and not just in a straight line. His change of direction is frightening and has dazzled defenders at Championship level already. Bale did the same thing for Southampton and to this day, he uses his pace as his main strength.

His Change Of Position
Bale started out as an attacking left-back before moving up the pitch as his career progressed. Sessegnon too is listed as a left-back and can indeed play in that position. But, much earlier perhaps than Bale, he has been moved right up into the attacking three behind Fulham's striker, given that he has the talent to do so much damage there.

I do hope he is kept in that position. I remember watching Gareth Bale as a young left-back at St Mary's and had never before seen a player run a game from that position. His real rise came in the Champions League games for Tottenham against Inter Milan, especially scoring a hat-trick at the San Siro in the first leg, which by then meant that people saw him as a winger.

Harry Redknapp held him back a wee bit in my opinion, insisting time and again that his real position is as an attacking full-back, something which looks a little silly now.

His Potential
Bale had such natural talent that you could envisage his rise all the way to the top, long before it happened and it's the same here with Sessegnon. There's no doubt that he'll be a very young England international, though I can only hope they hold back just a little to protect him. Qatar 2022 could be an excellent stretch target for him.

Other than injury, the thing that has let Gareth Bale down is his poor attitude, manifesting itself as a rather cowardly attitude in terms of criticising England time and again and its people, once leaving for Spain, despite having been made as a footballer by its clubs and its leagues. Clearly, he will have no option but to return in due course and will no doubt have a miraculous change of opinion.

Hopefully, Sessegnon keeps a better attitude toward sthe wider football world and decides to play at a club where it is going to be best for him in the long-term.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=post2

Jonaldiniho 88

I think he will be a PL striker. Hard with our style of play and how deep teams defend against to see how effective he could be. It's as clear as day he isn't a defender. All our wingers have more skill/trickery than him but can't finish half as well as him. Leave him on the last shoulder as he will terrify any defence.

Barrett487

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 22, 2017, 11:55:36 PM
I think he will be a PL striker. Hard with our style of play and how deep teams defend against to see how effective he could be. It's as clear as day he isn't a defender. All our wingers have more skill/trickery than him but can't finish half as well as him. Leave him on the last shoulder as he will terrify any defence.

I agree with what you say and he can develop his trickery i'm sure. I reckon the comparison with Bale is fair because left back's where Bale started. Ryan isn't small, so his power should also increase.

ChesterTheTabby

This young man is absolutely immense. A genuine pleasure to watch.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

VicHalomsLovechild

Hopefully he's half of a pair. The romantic in me would love to see the both of them on a pitch together ripping a Premiership Club apart in a cup game.

bog

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on July 23, 2017, 08:38:36 AM
Hopefully he's half of a pair. The romantic in me would love to see the both of them on a pitch together ripping a Premiership Club apart in a cup game.

:plus one:

Mince n Tatties

Ryan Sessegnon is Ryan Sessegnon not Gareth Bale. 049:gif

filham

I am not sure that Ryan's best position is left back and that playing him in that position is best either for Fulham or for Ryan.
Essential therefore that we sign a replacement for Malone without delay.

It is just wonderful to have such a talented young man from our own academy on the fringe of a regular first team place. I am looking forward so much to seeing him play.
He is the most promising youngster we have produced since Sean Davies

JackHFFC1990

Unbelievably talented have a feeling quality players like Kebano will be put on the bench by Sessegnons success this season

Barrett487

I think you're right, especially as Ryan's maturing well and has big game experience (sort of). Although Kebano was impressive last year, i think he and Ayite will share any opportunities afforded by injuries/resting Ryan and Sone.

cmg

It's an interesting conundrum. The kind of problem it's good to have, brought about by the versatility of a highly talented young player.
England play him as a winger (wide, up front) but then they have the immensely talented Jay DaSilva at LB. It might be argued, and to some extent we saw this in Georgia, that he is easier to mark when played up front.
At Fulham it is slightly different and it's maybe a 'chicken and egg' question. Did we decide to offload Malone because we had decided to play Ryan at LB, or did some other factor precipitate the decision and we now have to make a further decision regarding Ryan? It might be argued, slightly counter-intuitively, that playing him at LB is actually a better way of using his attacking potential.
This again could hinge on how confident we are about our CB situation.

filham

Quote from: cmg on July 23, 2017, 11:46:16 AM
It's an interesting conundrum. The kind of problem it's good to have, brought about by the versatility of a highly talented young player.
England play him as a winger (wide, up front) but then they have the immensely talented Jay DaSilva at LB. It might be argued, and to some extent we saw this in Georgia, that he is easier to mark when played up front.
At Fulham it is slightly different and it's maybe a 'chicken and egg' question. Did we decide to offload Malone because we had decided to play Ryan at LB, or did some other factor precipitate the decision and we now have to make a further decision regarding Ryan? It might be argued, slightly counter-intuitively, that playing him at LB is actually a better way of using his attacking potential.
This again could hinge on how confident we are about our CB situation.

I suspect Malone left because he did not want to miss the opportunity of Premiership football and Fulham were pleased to accept the very good price offered. All very sensible and acceptable but we needed to spend the money wisely on a replacement and we have seen no sign of that yet.

VancouverWhite

Joka made perfect use of him this last season. 

Although I was just a lurker, I remember reading a lot of concerns over playing him too soon. The concern was that it would expose him too much to other teams who would try and poach him.

But here we are, about to watch him rise even higher in our uniform this year  082.gif