watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (31/03/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 31, 2017, 07:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen believes every game is a "cup final" ahead of Championship run-in
The new Norway captain isn't worried about who Fulham could face should they make the play-offs as he believes they can 'beat anybody' in the division

tefan Johansen reckons that every game is a "cup final" for Fulham as they approach the final eight games of the season.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side sit a point off the play-offs having squandered two chances to break into the top six after drawing 2-2 against Blackburn before losing 3-1 to Wolves at Craven Cottage.

That said, confidence is high in the camp having recorded big wins over their promotion rivals, including the impressive 3-1 victory over Newcastle at St James' Park earlier in the month.

The 26-year-old, who was recently named as the Norway captain before their 2-0 defeat to Northern Ireland, knows how good his side is ahead of the Championship run-in and he believes they can beat anyone in the division.

"The last two games were disappointing for us but we are still aiming to get into the top six," Johansen said.

"Who it is in place of doesn't matter, we just need to focus on ourselves and get in the Play-offs and then try to win them.

"We know we're a good team and when we're at our best we can beat anyone in the league.

"But we need to focus and take it one game at a time – every game now is going to be a Cup Final so we just need to push on and see where it takes us."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-midfielder-stefan-johansen-believes-12817994

WhiteJC

TC: Do The Business

Tom Cairney wants Fulham to hit the ground running when the Sky Bet Championship recommences on Saturday.

The Whites were beaten for the first time in nine league fixtures last time out, but the 26-year-old is optimistic as we enter the business end of the season.

"It was a little bit disappointing just before the international break," Cairney admitted. "But with the period we've got coming up, we've got to take a huge amount of belief and courage into these eight games.

"It could go to the wire, it might not, but I believe we've got enough in the squad to get us into the Play-Off spots."

Fulham's first test comes at Rotherham United on Saturday. Sitting 24 points from safety, the Millers are effectively down, but Cairney won't be taking anything for granted at the New York Stadium.

"As you know, any team in this league is capable of beating anyone," he explained. "We'll be favourites going into the game, and an early goal would be massive I think to settle things down, but we've got to be seriously at it if we want three points.

"We can't just expect to turn up and turn them over because everyone's a professional footballer at the end of the day, and it's XI v XI, so we've got to do the business.

"I remember saying a while ago after Leeds that we'd go to Newcastle looking to win, and we managed to do that. Now we've got another week where we've got to go away and win.
"We'll be going to both Rotherham and Derby aiming to win. We've got to be looking to pick up some serious points now."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/30/tom-cairney-do-the-business

WhiteJC

Fulham can't afford slip-up against Rotherham and must improve against strugglers, says Denis Odoi

A trip to rock-bottom Rotherham may appear a good opportunity for Fulham to get their play-off bid back on track — but things might not be that straightforward.

Fulham have a good record against the teams chasing promotion in the Championship but have struggled against sides lower down the table.

They dropped points against Blackburn and Wolves — two teams battling relegation — before the international break and have frequently slipped up against teams in the bottom half.

Fulham are third in the table against sides in the top half, averaging 1.82 points per game, but 15th against sides in the bottom half, with a return of 1.5 points per match.

Defender Denis Odoi thinks he can explain why there is a contrast in that record and knows Fulham must beat Rotherham, who will be relegated if they fail to win on Saturday.

Fulham are a point behind Sheffield Wednesday in seventh place and Odoi said: "The top teams try to play football and they suit us better than the teams at the bottom of the table who are fighting, playing long balls and defending.

"They do not care about playing with us. It is more difficult for us to play our game against those teams compared to teams who want to try and play football with us.

"Rotherham are down the bottom, like Blackburn and Wolves. Obviously, they are still fighting to stay in the Championship, so it will be a test. But if we want to be in the top six then we need to show that we can win those games.

"We are in a good position but we could have been in a better one. If you are in the top six then it is all up to you. Now we need other guys to drop some points. Hopefully we can take care of business in the last eight games."

After Fulham play Rotherham, five of their remaining seven fixtures are against teams in the top half. They still have to play Norwich and Huddersfield away and travel to Sheffield Wednesday in what could be a decisive match on the final day of the season.

It is a tough run-in but Odoi is confident Fulham will finish in the play-off places given their record in the big games.

"I think we are a top-three team but we are where we are and there is a reason for that," he said. "We need to concede fewer goals. Wednesday have dropped points in their last two games. They were lucky enough that we also dropped points. We are chasing them and every step they miss we will try to take advantage."

Odoi says teams will not want to play Fulham if they reach the play-offs because "we are not easy to compete with".

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-cant-afford-slipup-against-rotherham-and-must-improve-against-strugglers-says-denis-odoi-a3503086.html

WhiteJC

Fulham target takes step closer to Fenerbahce exit

Fulham target Emmanuel Emenike takes step closer to Fenerbahce exit

Fulham target Emmanuel Emenike has taken a step closer to a Fenerbahce exit after missing training this week.

The Nigeria international was hit with a fine from the Istanbul giants following his absence, according to AMK.

Per the source, Emenike is unhappy at Fenerbahce and is actively seeking a move away from the club.

Meanwhile, the Turkish outlet Fotomac have reported that Fulham are plotting a move for the Fenerbahce striker this summer.

The Nigeria international is no stranger to the English football after spending a season on loan at West Ham United. However, Emenike has not played in the Championship.

Fulham could be playing Premier League football next season. The London based club are just one place off a play-off spot and have been in good form lately.

The 29-year-old has been transfer listed by Fenerbahce after he fell out of favour with manager Dick Advocate.

Emenike has scored seven goals and provided four assists in 21 appearances for Fener in all competitions this season.

http://turkish-football.com/fulham-target-takes-step-closer-to-fenerbahce-exit/

WhiteJC

Jokanović's Rotherham Preview

Slaviša Jokanović is expecting a professional display from his Fulham team when they face bottom side Rotherham United on Saturday.

The Millers are all but mathematically relegated having won just four matches all season, but the Whites Head Coach is not taking anything for granted.

"Okay, Rotherham have not had the best season," he admitted. "We are favourites in this game, but this is the Championship and you never know what's going to happen.

"We have experience of playing against them at home when we played a very hard game and we came back to win. We know we're going to find some long balls, we know we're going to find some people who are going to attack the second phase.

"I am sure we're going to dominate the game. They're going to try and organise the counter-attack, and we must be ready and not expect any presents.

"We have to be 100 per cent focused. We expect to come back with three points, but we need to show a great level of effort, solidarity, concentration and desire to win the game."

Fulham's previous two fixtures yielded a disappointing one point, but Jokanović has faith that his team will return to the form necessary to claim a Play-Off spot.

"The last two games we didn't offer our best performance and we thought we were going to win more points than we did," he stated. "I am thinking in a positive way.

"If someone offered me this situation at the beginning of the season where we're one point behind the teams in the top-six, I would have signed this deal.

"Now is a very important and crucial part of the Championship. We must show optimism and desire, and we must find our best performance. We need to make less mistakes, be fully concentrated, and fight for the top-six.

"Fighting for the top-six means fighting to be in the Premier League next season. In one month and a half we can make this job. If not, we must wait until next year. We believe in ourselves. We must be fighters, we must be optimists."

He continued: "This international break arrived at a good moment for us. After so many games, we used this period to recover the team and do some physical work.

"I believe we used this period well. People arrived safely back at Fulham from their internationals without any physical problems, and I expect we're going to be ready for the challenge that's in front of us."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/30/jokanovics-rotherham-preview

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic believes Fulham must start showing desire if they want to finish in the play-off places
The Fulham boss has called on his players to find their best performances ahead of an important final eight games of the Championship season

Slavisa Jokanovic believes now is the time where Fulham must show their desire in order to finish in the top six of the Championship.

The Cottagers are a point off the play-off places at the moment ahead of their trip to Rotherham on Saturday and with only eight games left in the season April is an extremely important month for the side.

Sheffield Wednesday await Fulham on the last day of the season in what could be a play-off place decider, but Jokanovic is calling on his side to be fighters as they look to haul themselves into the top six in the coming month.

And the boss insists if he was offered this situation at the start of the season he would've taken it, but he has challenged his side to show their best performances to get themselves in the Premier League next season.

He said: "If someone offered me this situation at the beginning of the season where we're one point behind the teams in the top-six, I would have signed this deal.

"Now is a very important and crucial part of the Championship. We must show optimism and desire, and we must find our best performance. We need to make less mistakes, be fully concentrated, and fight for the top-six.

"Fighting for the top-six means fighting to be in the Premier League next season. In one month and a half we can make this job. If not, we must wait until next year. We believe in ourselves. We must be fighters, we must be optimists."

Fulham travel to the New York Stadium to face bottom side Rotherham who are facing relegation dead in the face, and Jokanovic believes his side will dominate the game but must show effort and commitment to come home with the three points.

"Okay, Rotherham have not had the best season," he added.

"We are favourites in this game, but this is the Championship and you never know what's going to happen.

"We have experience of playing against them at home when we played a very hard game and we came back to win. We know we're going to find some long balls, we know we're going to find some people who are going to attack the second phase.

"I am sure we're going to dominate the game. They're going to try and organise the counter-attack, and we must be ready and not expect any presents.

"We have to be 100 per cent focused. We expect to come back with three points, but we need to show a great level of effort, solidarity, concentration and desire to win the game.

"The last two games we didn't offer our best performance and we thought we were going to win more points than we did but I am thinking in a positive way."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-believes-fulham-must-12821106

WhiteJC

U18s: Unbeaten Target

The Under-18s play Derby County this weekend at Motspur Park in the continuation of the Premier League Merit Group B. The Whites are now second in Group B, and the Rams are one place behind with a game in hand.

"Resilience, I think the teams got a lot of it," said Fulham U18s utility man Dan Martin. "The only thing that's letting us down at the moment is putting away our chances and hanging onto leads.

"We've been putting in some great performances and hopefully we can carry that on."

The Whites have gone nine games without a loss, and won last time out at Goodison Park in a big 3-0 win against Everton.

"10 games unbeaten would be brilliant, but we're not just aiming for the 10th one, we want to do it for the rest of the season."

In that 3-0 victory at Goodison, Martin was forced off with a knee injury. Asked about whether he was back in action he said, "I'm back fit now and hopefully I'll get a good run out on Saturday.

"We can definitely top the group, we've got the ability in the side to do it as long as we keep taking our chances, which we are getting better at, especially at Everton away which is a good three points for us.

"Being in the middle group we've got the potential to win it and hopefully we can go on and do that. I think we can do that to Tottenham, and the rest of the remaining games we've got."

Martin has played all over the pitch for the Under-18s this season, taking on a number of roles.

""I think it shows that the coaches trust me which is good for me," he stated. "I don't mind playing anywhere and I'll play wherever they put me.

"So left-wing, left-back, centre-mid, I enjoy it wherever. Training has been going really well this week, and we're completely focused on Saturday."

Kick off is Saturday 1st April at 1pm at Motspur Park.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/30/u18s-unbeaten-target

WhiteJC

Additional allocation for Fulham away

Villa have received an additional allocation for Easter Monday's trip to Fulham.

An extra 575 tickets have been made available.

They are currently on sale to season ticket holders and they will also be available to Villa Cash members, initially online from 5pm tonight.

Prices are £20 [adults], £15 [O65s/U22s] and £10 [U18s] and have been subsidised by £5.

To buy tickets, head to Villa Park or New Street ticket offices, contact 0333 323 1874 or visit our ONLINE BOX OFFICE.

The game takes place on Monday April 17, kick-off 2.45pm, at Craven Cottage.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/03/30/fulham-away-additional-allocation

WhiteJC

Jokanovic not underestimating Millers

Slavisa Jokanovic insists his Fulham side will not underestimate bottom-placed Rotherham when the two sides meet on Saturday.

The Cottagers could move into the play-off positions if they secure all three points at the New York Stadium, and they will fancy their chances of winning the match as the Millers are 24 points adrift of safety and have only picked up one point from their last 12 matches.
Fulham have also won the last three meetings between the two sides but, despite acknowledging his side are favourites to win the match, Jokanovic is refusing to underestimate Rotherham's credentials.
"Okay, Rotherham have not had the best season," he admitted. "We are favourites in this game, but this is the Championship and you never know what's going to happen."
"We have experience of playing against them at home when we played a very hard game and we came back to win. We know we're going to find some long balls, we know we're going to find some people who are going to attack the second phase."

- See more at: http://www.sportinastorm.com/General-Football/Championship-Story/Jokanovic-refusing-to-underestimate-Rotherham--/X121Y2650Z2254236#sthash.XvBsbI3E.dpuf

WhiteJC

READ | Warne calls for Millers to go toe-to-toe with Cottagers

Paul Warne talks to www.themillers.co.uk...
Rotherham United interim manager Paul Warne says he is hoping his side are able to recreate the performance that saw them run Premier League hopefuls Huddersfield Town close, as they take on a similar calibre of opposition in Fulham on Saturday.

The Millers' caretaker drew comparisons between the Cottagers and the Terriers, both of whom are challenging at the top end of the second tier, and insists his side will need to produce a showing of a similar ilk if they are to stall Slavisa Jokanovic's side's progress in the Sky Bet Championship.

"I need a performance similar to the Huddersfield game where we go toe-to-toe with them and give our fans something to cheer about," Warne told www.themillers.co.uk.

"I think they are the in-form passing team in the league. Them and Huddersfield are probably the two best at it."

Warne continued to explain that he has been very impressed by what he has seen from the Craven Cottage-club in recent weeks but believes the Millers can take heart from their showing in the early stages at the reverse fixture in the capital.

"I thought we played well at their place," he explained.

"We played a 4-4-1-1, and Izzy Brown was excellent for us in the hole. The game changed when he had to come off regrettably.

"I've been hugely impressed with Fulham. They love to pass the ball. They love to come through the centre of the pitch, and they are ridiculously quick."

With last week's international break providing a break in the fixtures for the Millers' first team, Warne found time in his calendar to spend time in the company of a manager of another sport, as he looked to glean some gems of wisdom from Sheffield Steelers head coach Paul Thompson.

"I went and met Paul yesterday," he continued.

"A mutual friend kindly arranged it for us and I followed him around like a lap dog. I got to be in the team meetings with Hammy, watched them in the stretching room, and sat having breakfast with them.

"I liked their attention to detail and he was kind enough to chat with me for a couple of hours after training.

"He's been in sport management for 25 years, so I was just picking his brains. He was really good and I really enjoyed his company, and I'll take on board what he said."

Read more at http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/rotherham-united-paul-warne-fulham-3649979.aspx#EuuUxjrJZdv8DhyS.99

WhiteJC

Relegation looms for Rotherham

Rotherham have several players returning for the game against Fulham where Sky Bet Championship relegation is likely to be confirmed.

The Millers' drop to League One will be sealed if they fail to beat the Cottagers or if Burton, Nottingham Forest and Bristol City pick up a point.
Defenders Darnell Fisher (hamstring), Richard Wood (ankle) and Stephen Kelly (Achilles) are all available, giving interim boss Paul Warne some depth.
Joe Mattock completes his two-match ban but there should be a home debut for on-loan striker Carlton Morris.
Scott Parker's back problem could keep the former England midfielder out for Fulham.
Chelsea loanee Lucas Piazon is still on the road to recovery after breaking his jaw last month.
Tom Cairney, Chris Martin, Tomas Kalas, Neeskens Kebano and Stefan Johansen have all returned unscathed from international duty.
Dennis Odoi may have earned a start after scoring moments after coming on as a substitute in the 3-1 defeat at Wolves a fortnight ago.

- See more at: http://www.sportinastorm.com/Championship/Fulham/Relegation-looms-for-Rotherham/X2Y32Z2254306#sthash.WcMHEYBK.dpuf

WhiteJC

Championship's Best Attacking Midfielder: Tom Cairney

It seems surprising that at 26, Tom Cairney has played only 11 Premier League games. The issue is clearly not technical ability, of which he has shown once again this season to have plenty.

What the creative midfielder needed to show it was tactical freedom in a system which suited him. In the top flight, clubs outside the elite like players with defensive discipline, with a willingness to move the ball forward quickly. Cairney has never been the best tackler and his game is largely about retaining the ball in good areas, before picking the killer pass.

At Fulham, he has found a team that plays to his strengths. Stefan Johansen offers tenacity out of possession while Kevin McDonald provides a reliable base. No Championship player has played more key passes per game than Cairney (2.6 WhoScored), who also has the league's best pass completion ratio. In most cases, the players with the best ball retention statistics are not the most creative, because they do not have the audacity to play a defence-splitting pass when the moment arises.

Not only does Cairney keep the ball, he also uses it to help Fulham become one of the most creative sides in the division.

http://www.thefootballab.co.uk/2017/championships-best-attacking-midfielder-tom-cairney/

WhiteJC

The race for Premier League football is hotting up... Sportsmail takes a look at the Championship contenders hunting for promotion with 10 games to go

Promotion to Premier League is one of the most lucrative prizes in football
    The Championship has been as hard-fought as ever with numerous contenders
    Newcastle and Brighton lead way but teams are snapping at their heels 
    Sportsmail guides you through main sides the chasing Premier League dream

With fewer than 10 games to go, the Championship returns on Friday as Derby take on QPR. As the race to reach the Premier League hots up, there is plenty still up for grabs.

Newcastle and Brighton have led the charge but will they be able to keep up their form as the finish line comes into sight?

David Wagner has transformed Huddersfield who would love to get their first taste of Premier League football, especially if it meant denying rivals Leeds a return to the top flight for the first time since 2004. Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and Fulham are all in the hunt, too. Here Sportsmail runs the rule over the main contenders.

NEWCASTLE

FORM: DLDWW

TOP GOALSCORER: Dwight Gayle (21)

MOST ASSISTS: Matt Ritchie, Jonjo Shelvey (7)

SUPER STAT: Gayle's career-best 21 goals so far is Newcastle's best return since Alan Shearer scored 22 in the 2003-04 season. Andy Cole holds the club record with 41 in 1993-94.

BRIGHTON

FORM: LWWLL

TOP GOALSCORER: Glenn Murray (18)

MOST ASSISTS: Anthony Knockaert (7)

SUPER STAT: 17 clean sheets for David Stockdale this season — the highest in the Championship — and two more than Chelsea's Thibaut Courtois with 15 in the Premier League.

HUDDERSFIELD

FORM: LWWLD

TOP GOALSCORER: Elias Kachunga (10)

MOST ASSISTS: Tommy Smith (9)

SUPER STAT: If Huddersfield finish above sixth, it will be their highest placing in the second tier since 1969-70 when they won the title thanks to 18 Frank Worthington goals.

LEEDS

FORM: WDDWD

TOP GOALSCORER: Chris Wood (24)

MOST ASSISTS: Pablo Hernandez (8)

SUPER STAT: Across Europe's big five leagues and their respective second divisions, only Edinson Cavani (27) and Lionel Messi (25) have scored more than Leeds' Chris Wood.

READING

FORM: WLDWL

TOP GOALSCORER: Yann Kermorgant (10)

MOST ASSISTS: Garath McCleary (7)

SUPER STAT: Wales international Chris Gunter has featured in every Championship game for Jaap Stam's side. He has racked up 3,411 minutes of action so far.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

FORM: LLDWL

TOP GOALSCORER: Fernando Forestieri (11)

MOST ASSISTS: Barry Bannan (7)

SUPER STAT: Only three teams (Reading 5, Huddersfield 6 and Brighton 7) have dropped fewer points from leading positions than Sheffield Wednesday this season (9).

FULHAM

FORM: LDWDW

TOP GOALSCORER: Chris Martin (10)

MOST ASSISTS: Tom Cairney, Sone Aluko (9)

SUPER STAT: Slavisa Jokanovic's win ratio of 40.98 per cent is the highest for any Fulham boss since Jean Tigana (44.81 per cent) who guided Fulham to their last promotion in 2000-01.

Ryan Sessegnon has been one of the break-through young stars of the Championship

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4365692/Race-promotion-Premier-League-hotting-up.html#ixzz4cstwcJI6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Sevilla make enquiry for Liverpool transfer target: Club want to keep star in London

SEVILLA are reportedly the latest club to register their interest in Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon.

The 16-year-old has burst on to the scene at Craven Cottage this season, making 24 appearances.

And his performances for the Championship outfit have offered a glimpse of his prodigious talent.

Premier League trio Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester City are said to be keen on Sessegnon.

But it seems news of the left-back's emergence has now spread to the south of Spain too.

According to Bleacher Report, Sevilla have enquired about the his availability.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/601505/Sevilla-Liverpool-Manchester-City-Tottenham-Ryan-Sessegnon-Fulham-Transfer-Gossip-LFC-News

WhiteJC

Fulham with reasonable chance to sign Hull City transfer target

Fulham are being linked to Fenerbahce's Emmanuel Emenike and it's a bit of a mess.

On March 26th Turkey's Fotomac said Emenike was set to fly to London for a trial and for talks with Fulham.

Later that same day Get West London also reported Fulham interest.

Then on March 28th, Fotomac went with it again, crediting Get West, and the ping-pong between the two websites has led to the story spreading out everywhere. The English media are crediting/blaming the Turkish media and vice versa.

Hull City made an approach for the Nigerian during January, with Marco Silva desperately working to add to his squad on a budget. Fenerbahce would only sell on a permanent basis and Hull wanted a loan instead. Silva had to look elsewhere.

Here's the doubt. Fulham attempts to sign a striker during the final days of the January window became almost comical. The club were approaching players whose own mothers would have to turn to Google to find out about their career.

That Fulham didn't make a serious move then either suggests they didn't know Emenike's availability, or that he exists.

menike's career has been up and down to say the least, but he's still only 29 years of age and it could be worth a gamble for Fulham if the price is right. A drop down to the Championship may not be hugely appealing but the London advantage would help.

Hull City may look again in the summer, if Marco Silva is once again asked to replace senior players with bargains and borrows.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-reasonable-chance-sign-hull-city-transfer-target/