watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martin

Started by FFCSteve, April 01, 2017, 04:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

:protest card:It was a poor miss, but no, it wasn't on purpose.
Yes he was trying his hardest.
Yes we need a hold up striker.
Martin does have a good scoring record.

But he is really overweight. He would be a lot quicker and more effective if he lost a stone.

RaySmith

The manager is a professional - and does the best for  Fulham, and it doesn't matter whether or not he likes a player's off pitch behaviour personally.

He obviously thinks Martin also has a professional attitude and  does his best when he plays or he would never  have him in the team.

Misses of 'sitters' happens all the time, even from the best strikers - and the chances usually aren't as easy to put away as they look from the stands. Martin redeemed himself by playing an important part in the goal, which he helped celebrate enthusiastically.

Nero

To the people that thought he missed on purpose all I can say is the easy way to miss is not to get there in the first place.

fulhamben

Quote from: Chesh on April 02, 2017, 08:48:30 AM
Quote from: MJG on April 01, 2017, 06:23:12 PM
Yes bad miss but after that was involved in much we did. Also puts ball back in for goal and after game came over to fans and apologised for miss.
But watch replay you will see he was instrumental in a lot of our play last 25 minutes.
Seems that no matter what he actually does, or no matter what 'in Slav we trust' sees in him, a lot of people's views will always be clouded by the events of December. In their eyes, every miss will be on purpose and Woodrow & Smith were markedly better.

I happen to rate the bloke, and am prepared to forgive his distasteful behaviour a few months ago in the same way that our manager seemingly has.
Woodrow and Smith have both scored more goals than Martin since the window has closed. And that is for teams a lot worse than us.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

toshes mate

I wish the defenders of Martin were playing for the opposition in our next game because we'd all love to beat Derby by a cricket score.....  oh wait a moment perhaps they are

toshes mate

I have not been impressed by Martin, in the way I have been impressed by many in a Fulham shirt this season, once in any Fulham game.  Up until the Derby debacle before the Reading game I just thought I was getting old, nit picking, or being unfair, but as soon as it happened I knew my eyes had not been deceiving me.  He is a poor imitation of all the hype that accompanies him.

toshes mate

Yes bad miss but after that was involved in much we did. Also puts ball back in for goal and after game came over to fans and apologised for miss.
But watch replay you will see he was instrumental in a lot of our play last 25 minutes.
Seems that no matter what he actually does, or no matter what 'in Slav we trust' sees in him, a lot of people's views will always be clouded by the events of December. In their eyes, every miss will be on purpose and Woodrow & Smith were markedly better.

I happen to rate the bloke, and am prepared to forgive his distasteful behaviour a few months ago in the same way that our manager seemingly has.

Of course another way of looking at SJ's situation is that he doesn't have ready made options to compete for Martin's position, and as I have said, all along, he has to go with his best option every time.   SJ would also have been saving legs and surprises for the match against Derby for which Martin will not be figuring.  I have nothing to forgive Martin for, since I have come to accept the level of commitment he will show.  Yesterday was a bad miss and not his first, and I am happy to admit that any and all strikers miss easy chances.  However my assessment is based, just as your's is, on the whole season, and I just don't rate him other than to say 'well who else do you play'.  We can say it worked yesterday because we did the job, but what would the talk have been had just a couple of the Rotherham attacks had a better outcome?   

MaidenheadMick

Quote from: fulhamben on April 02, 2017, 10:37:26 AM

Woodrow and Smith have both scored more goals than Martin since the window has closed. And that is for teams a lot worse than us.

Woodrow and Smith have also played every week, Martin hasn't

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: fulhamben on April 01, 2017, 09:04:14 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on April 01, 2017, 08:36:10 PM
His miss was abysmal, pure and simple!

I don't like him and I would wager he doesn't sign F/time but we need a player similar to him and anyone who can't see it doesn't know football!
we need a player who goes on strike, doesn't bust a gut and misses sitters?  I don't know football then.

Haha! you know what I meant!

fulhamben

Quote from: MaidenheadMick on April 02, 2017, 12:20:31 PM

yes, because he got dropped for poor performances.

callumc513

Yeah, this is spot on.

Chutney

Quote from: fulhamben on April 02, 2017, 01:42:11 PM

Luckily we only have at most 5 or 6 more games with him, Good riddance. He has been awful most of the season and that's not taking in to account his behaviour when he wanted to leave.

Putting everything else aside, Martin is simply not good enough.
C O Y W

MJG

Quote from: Statto on April 04, 2017, 12:04:43 PM
Quote from: Chutney on April 04, 2017, 11:28:36 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on April 02, 2017, 01:42:11 PM

Luckily we only have at most 5 or 6 more games with him, Good riddance. He has been awful most of the season and that's not taking in to account his behaviour when he wanted to leave.

Putting everything else aside, Martin is simply not good enough.

Just out of interest, which of our attackers are good enough in your opinion? Aluko, Piazon, Cyriac, Kebano, Ayite? Bearing in mind Martin has played irregularly and half-arsed and still scored a lot more than any of them.
It is a fact that he still has the best minutes between goals (212) for any player who has 2 or more in the available squad

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: MJG on April 04, 2017, 12:14:01 PM
It is a fact that he still has the best minutes between goals (212) for any player who has 2 or more in the available squad
[/quote]
A goal every 212 minutes? Worse than one every other game.
I know we do not have an out and out Striker doing any better atm, but a goal every 212 minutes is not great.
Chris Wood - Leeds - 125 mins
Dwight Gale - Newcastle - 92 mins
Tammy Abrahams - Bristol C - 148 mins
Glenn Murray - Brighton - 149 mins
even::
Lasse Vibe - Brentford - 176 mins.

Hardly setting the world alight is he!
If he had put away that chance on Saturday and a couple of those Penalties, that would have helped.
Not long to go now.
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on April 04, 2017, 12:28:13 PM
Quote from: MJG on April 04, 2017, 12:14:01 PM
A goal every 212 minutes? Worse than one every other game.
I know we do not have an out and out Striker doing any better atm, but a goal every 212 minutes is not great.
Chris Wood - Leeds - 125 mins
Dwight Gale - Newcastle - 92 mins
Tammy Abrahams - Bristol C - 148 mins
Glenn Murray - Brighton - 149 mins
even::
Lasse Vibe - Brentford - 176 mins.

Hardly setting the world alight is he!
If he had put away that chance on Saturday and a couple of those Penalties, that would have helped.
Not long to go now.
COYW
[/quote]But those players aren't in our squad are they.   He has scored 11 goals in 29 apps (incl sub) for us, by far and away our best strike rate.    Cairney is next best with 9 in 43.  End of story.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

toshes mate

Fact is, if we had scored from all of our 'easier' chances (even excluding penalties), we wouldn't be having a discussion about Martin or anyone else.  We would have been having a discussion about whether or not we will get automatic promotion and who the Club might buy to give us a reasonable chance in the PL.  I accept Martin is the best out-and-out striker we have because he is the only one we have, and he has had enough easy chances to have scotched any chance of any of us saying he isn't committed.  It would, of course, also have made his choices about his future a little less straightforward, and, as you turn that little conundrum around in your head, just consider why it is he isn't up there with the Woods, Gayles, Murrays, and Abrahams of this world.

fulhamben

Here's another little fact sone aluko has scored  more goals from open play, whilst playing in an attacking midfield role than Martin has playing upfront. And to think, quite a few think alukos finishing leaves a lot to be desired, so what does that then say about Martin

toshes mate

To be fair, Statto, Fulham's entire midfield plays 'up front' when on the attack to make up for the fact one of the best out-and-out-strikers in the league cannot take the chances he is given.  I have lost count of the number of times Martin has appeared indecisive in his play.  Now either he isn't very good or he is not trying hard enough.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Still defending Chris Martin to the death -  jesus wept.  After his tantrums we wouldn't mind if he put in a shift and started smashing them in, but that's hardly happened has it ? On top of all that, he is a complete tonsil.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/03/former-fulham-striker-slams-derby-county-loanee-chris-martin/

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on April 04, 2017, 03:58:28 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on April 04, 2017, 01:05:42 PM
Here's another little fact sone aluko has scored  more goals from open play, whilst playing in an attacking midfield role than Martin has playing upfront. And to think, quite a few think alukos finishing leaves a lot to be desired, so what does that then say about Martin

Aluko plays as much "up front" as Martin does. Only difference is Aluko is at least facing the goal generally whereas Martin plays with his back to it. Like him or not, You're literally talking about one of the best finishers in the league in Martin, and one of the worst I've seen in my life, in Aluko. If you'd said Dan Burn was better at finishing than Diego Forlan you'd have sounded substantially more credible
can you tell me how the worst finisher has got more goals than the best one in open play then please.