News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why is there no other side sharing our playing style ?

Started by Riversider, April 06, 2017, 01:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

I've been watching a lot of football recently from the Premier League and can now conclude that no other side has our playing style ,
So my question is why ?
There isn't one other team (that I've seen) that plays out of the back like we do, it frustrates the life out of me (and a hell of a lot of other fans in Block S)
How many times do we see this scenario,
" Button, to Kalas, to Ream, to Kalas, to Button, to Ream , to Button (now under pressure) who tries to kick it long "
There can't be another back 5 in British football that takes as many touches as ours do, it's such a shame that we don't "Pass with Purpose" (as I have advocated before)
Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and Brighton don't choose to play like this so why do we ?
Months ago teams in the Championship Sussed us out by playing three up top and not giving our back 5 any time on the ball to settle, and as we know we look bloody awful when they do this to us,
We're 9 months in to the season now and yet rather worryingly Slavisa Jokanovic hasn't been able to come up with a Plan B to combat a side doing it,
I'm giving Slavisa a free ride this season , but the honeymoon period will be well and truly over for me in four months time when next season starts if we again have to endure the same build up play,
I actually feel really sorry for Button and the back 4 as I can't believe for a moment that they would choose to play like this,
I predicted before the Derby game that we would lose to Derby and that we wouldn't beat either Villa or Brentford at home, my view still hasn't changed our playing style will suit both Villa and Brentford perfectly !

Prediction for 2018, Villa up as Champions.

MJG

F(f)CUK

I must be missing something, but I am really enjoying our football. If we miss out on the playoffs, this has still been a good year.

Twig

I have no problem with playing out from the back, most of the time. Do it every time and it becomes predictable. The opposition set themselves up accordingly.
So, once every four or five times Button should be allowed to mix it up.  That gives the opposition far more to think about.
And that is my frustration. Never be too rigid.

BedsFFC

Sometimes on here is has a real Daily Mail feel about it

FulhamStu

Manchester City, managed by the supposed best manager / coach in the world play exactely like this, they just have better players.  They are taking time to get it right, but don't bet against them winning the league next season.

Horsfield_No9

Seems to me it only works against other teams who are up for playing football. There isn't many of them in this league. It would possibly be more effective in the Prem but we'd need much better players to dare to try it. Imagine some of those mistakes we're making playing out from the back vs Prem strikers!
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on April 06, 2017, 04:01:40 PM
I have no problem with playing out from the back, most of the time. Do it every time and it becomes predictable. The opposition set themselves up accordingly.
So, once every four or five times Button should be allowed to mix it up.  That gives the opposition far more to think about.
And that is my frustration. Never be too rigid.
To my mind you are spot on.  If you are going to play this style of football you do need to have the defensive out ball and front runner movement that keeps opposition defenders guessing.  You can also consider the long diagonal ball at times just to mix it up a little.  Cairney is a master at changing the point of attack at will, but he needs space to be able to work his magic with longer passes, of which Johansen is equally capable of producing.

Baszab

Nothing wrong with it ....except when we push up using the wing backs we are always exposed -  need to play 352

NogoodBoyo

We were doing very well with it in our purple patch up to and including the Newcastle game.
Nogood "selective memory - our strongest point, see" Boyo

bill taylors apprentice

Nothing wrong with the general style of play, the problem is there are too many players who are at the limit of their ability trying to implement it!

Keeping the ball as we do does put the opposition under stress for periods but the possession for possession sake often leads nowhere and ends up making our own team nervous.

It would be more effective if all the team were comfortable with it and there was a plan b to keep the opponents guessing!

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Riversider on April 06, 2017, 01:45:43 PM
I've been watching a lot of football recently from the Premier League and can now conclude that no other side has our playing style ,
So my question is why ?
There isn't one other team (that I've seen) that plays out of the back like we do, it frustrates the life out of me (and a hell of a lot of other fans in Block S)
How many times do we see this scenario,
" Button, to Kalas, to Ream, to Kalas, to Button, to Ream , to Button (now under pressure) who tries to kick it long "
There can't be another back 5 in British football that takes as many touches as ours do, it's such a shame that we don't "Pass with Purpose" (as I have advocated before)
Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and Brighton don't choose to play like this so why do we ?
Months ago teams in the Championship Sussed us out by playing three up top and not giving our back 5 any time on the ball to settle, and as we know we look bloody awful when they do this to us,
We're 9 months in to the season now and yet rather worryingly Slavisa Jokanovic hasn't been able to come up with a Plan B to combat a side doing it,
I'm giving Slavisa a free ride this season , but the honeymoon period will be well and truly over for me in four months time when next season starts if we again have to endure the same build up play,
I actually feel really sorry for Button and the back 4 as I can't believe for a moment that they would choose to play like this,
I predicted before the Derby game that we would lose to Derby and that we wouldn't beat either Villa or Brentford at home, my view still hasn't changed our playing style will suit both Villa and Brentford perfectly !

Prediction for 2018, Villa up as Champions.

Good post Riverside.
I have to agree, when the opponents have us worked out all this sideways passing is not only an accident waiting to happen, but is also not too easy on the eye.

Riversider

Quote from: FulhamStu on April 06, 2017, 05:05:22 PM
Manchester City, managed by the supposed best manager / coach in the world play exactely like this, they just have better players.  They are taking time to get it right, but don't bet against them winning the league next season.

No they don't ! They don't play out anything like us , more often that not Button has been involved 3 times with the ball still within 20 yards of the goal line City don't do that.