watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it right to send players off?

Started by Andy S, April 15, 2017, 10:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

In general having a player sent off should give an advantage to the team that still has 11 on the pitch. It very rarely does as the opposing team adopts a defensive position and aware that they are one short they work harder. It certainly changes the shape of the game

Arthur

Quote from: Andy S on April 15, 2017, 10:59:25 AM
In general having a player sent off should give an advantage to the team that still has 11 on the pitch. It very rarely does...

Though I have no figures to back-up my belief, I would wager that it often does give an advantage - particularly over a time span of 45 minutes.

Lighthouse

I am not sure I can remember the last time Fulham have won a result with only ten men. A 10 man team can defend but usually the 11 players win through. I don't know the stats but I doubt it is even close depending on when the player was sent off.

It also helps if the player sent off is a forward as very little change in the players and formation needs to be done. If a defender is sent off then a forward is usually subbed for a defender anyway.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

f321ffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 15, 2017, 11:09:22 AM
I am not sure I can remember the last time Fulham have won a result with only ten men. A 10 man team can defend but usually the 11 players win through. I don't know the stats but I doubt it is even close depending on when the player was sent off.

It also helps if the player sent off is a forward as very little change in the players and formation needs to be done. If a defender is sent off then a forward is usually subbed for a defender anyway.
Can't think of any others but how about this one 16 years ago almost to the day,  when Martin got his red card I immediately thought of this game could be an omen.
I was at that game and in  54 years supporting Fulham this is one of my favourite memories. COYW

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0f2-xcR7oE

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

bobbo

Yes it's right to send players off, BUT , maybe it may serve better purpose if football adopted in part the rugby sinbin option. I've wondered long about yesterday's send off and not sure it was correct( sadly I wasn't there) refs usually are incensed by the offence and can't wait to get the red card out , this was not the case yesterday he diliberated whilst walking over to Martin,he was some distance away and the Lino didn't appear to give it.
Yes it happens so often the ten man team seem to gain some extra impetus from somewhere. Fulham were quite an exception yesterday scoring two more goals with only 10 men.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Andy S

That Sean Davis vid against Blackburn still brings tears to my eyes

Twig

Quote from: f321ffc on April 15, 2017, 11:31:56 AM

Can't think of any others but how about this one 16 years ago almost to the day,  when Martin got his red card I immediately thought of this game could be an omen.
I was at that game and in  54 years supporting Fulham this is one of my favourite memories. COYW

Fantastic

jarv

Sending off used to be a shameful thing to happen. Yellow cards are given out like confetti and I have thought for a while, perhaps 3 yellows for a red. Too often (trial by tv) has shown 2 soft yellows and one was even debatable whether it was a foul or not. Harsh.
For truly BAD fouls, yes, player gone.

grandad

We have the technology for the ref to view the incident. There is always a break in play for the ref to review it. The 2 rugby codes have used it for years.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Brilliant to see again.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

EastEndWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 15, 2017, 02:46:52 PM

Brilliant to see again.

Maybe someone played the clip to the team at half-time yesterday,

filham

No , a football match should last for 90 minutes with eleven players on each side. Following nasty incidents a cooling off period on the bench for any player thought guilty by the ref. of say 10 minutes would be acceptable.
After the game a full review of any incident should take place with evidence from all officials together with video evidence and if then the player is found guilty he should be hit hard with bans and fines and previous bad behaviour taken into consideration.

Refs can make mistakes and it is possible for a doubtful red card given early in the game to result in a player missing most of a match whereas a dangerous and serious foul committed in the 89th minute has no real effect on the result.

Andy S

I think the original law regarding sending off players offending was ok. However now no team has to play without a recognised full back against a fast winger as they can bring on a sub. So the answer could be to leave the player on and deduct points

bobbo

Quote from: filham on April 15, 2017, 06:10:02 PM
No , a football match should last for 90 minutes with eleven players on each side. Following nasty incidents a cooling off period on the bench for any player thought guilty by the ref. of say 10 minutes would be acceptable.
After the game a full review of any incident should take place with evidence from all officials together with video evidence and if then the player is found guilty he should be hit hard with bans and fines and previous bad behaviour taken into consideration.

Refs can make mistakes and it is possible for a doubtful red card given early in the game to result in a player missing most of a match whereas a dangerous and serious foul committed in the 89th minute has no real effect on the result. 0001.jpeg
1975 just leaving home full of hope

toshes mate

Like any decision a referee makes it is only ever appropriate if consistency is shown.  I noted a couple of things about Friday's referee, Mr Madley.  For the red card incident he never checked upon Dijks condition (apparently injured) before brandishing the card which seemed to me that he carded Martin for intention rather than actually harming the opponent who didn't need medical attention.  In the second half with many Norwich players bickering to him about time wasting he kept saying to them 'I have already told you I am adding time on'. 

Personally speaking, and now having seen the full match replay. Martin's offence is really unclear although he does seem to move his elbow back into the direction of Dijks face/torso, and from the referee's angle of view it would seem deliberate and intentional, and, even if he didn't connect, worthy of a card.  But, red?  Surely not in the context of the game.

And the worse is that Martin is now effectively out until the Hillsborough game, unless the appeal succeeds.  That is what I disagree about red cards, because now all Fulham's opponents benefit from a 'marginal' decision made on a day when a referee decided to call it as he saw it..

Andy S