watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Huddersfield match analysis

Started by abfg, April 24, 2017, 10:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abfg

Now the dust has settled a quick bit of analysis why we won and why Huddersfield lost.

Firstly I have to say it's clear Huddersfield are a decent team - for 10 minutes they were knocking the ball around well and went ahead through a bit of an iffy penalty. I was more than a bit worried. However, the result is much sweeter for that fact, outplaying a decent team is so much more satisfying than the comfortable win against, say, Ipswich, who I thought were completely awful.

On about 10 minutes, we had our first decent bit of possession, a couple of neat triangles and worked the ball up the pitch. From that point on the players seemed to get their mojo back, so I'm only going to talk about the match from that point onwards. For me, one vast improvement over the Derby game (my last away game and a game against decent opposition without Martin) was the front three. Aluko deserves credit for playing generally very high up the pitch in an out and out centre forward role, which I don't think is his natural position. Sess and Ayite were playing what I would call an inside forward role very effectively - they were starting wide but moving central as moves developed. This meant we had players in the box every attack. With TC and Jo-Jo moving up from midfield and then either, or both full backs providing overlaps or getting in the box too, we had so many men forward. There's a reason deflected shots or loose balls break to your team, and it's not entirely luck. Second half Sess and Malone both could have scored through opportunities we created, following the same pattern of play.

Secondly, the defence was very good. Ream, Kalas and McD were generally very solid. It was surprising with Huddersfield playing Quamer up front they didn't go a bit more direct. Bettinelli has clearly been working on dealing with crosses, which Huddersfield put in a few, opting for safety first and punching rather than catching. This is fine as it was an improvement and they were good punches. It is gratifying as a fan to see a player who has clearly been working on the training ground on a weakness. The improved defence was backed up by the fact that Huddersfield barely created a chance for themselves, aside from one chance from a corner and Odoi and McD mistakes in possession, we never really looked like conceding.

Thirdly, while Cairney was very decent, pride of place goes to Johansen. Tireless running and closing, 2 goals, involved in Malone's goal. They say he will be fit for Brentford, I hope so. He has become incredibly important to us. My one concern for getting the next 3 points we need (and beyond?!), more than in any other position, if any of the midfield 3 get injured we could have an issue.

Fourthly, Huddersfield play to our strengths. They knock the ball round and the 'average position' of their players was high up the pitch (sorry, can't think of a better way to put that!). That really allowed us to cut through them like a hot knife through butter on the counter. It is a shame that the highlights both from 5 and Sky clipped the third goal. It started with Malone defending on our corner flag, interplay with Sess and then Aluko's bit of skill to drive into their half. It was, ahem, beautiful, magical from start to finish.

Negatives? There were a couple (apologies but need some balance). There were a couple of errors, from McD and Odoi (as I mentioned above). These were both second half so possibly down to a dip in concentration, but just a reminder, on another day could have been costly. Fredericks had the first half and looked a bit like a red card ready to happen. Good call taking him off. He's been fantastic, especially with his pace, but needs to just calm down a little at times. Aside from those minor things, not much else to chalk as room for improvement. Obviously the second half was lower intensity and TC seemed to go a little bit into showboating mode. But at 4-1 up, if you can't do it then when can you?

Overall very impressive, dangerous going forward, pretty solid at the back. It's interesting with Brentford coming up though. Reliant on a centre forward (Hogan). Sell him, reshuffle and now their form has dramatically improved. Who does that sound like?

Apprentice to the Maestro

toshes mate

Good commentary on the match, abfg.  For my two pennyworth I felt that from when Sess shot narrowly over in a good position the writing was on the wall for Huddersfield and that made them nervy.  And, when you get nervy, things start to go awry.  Malone's goal was sweet, so sweet it stuck in Huddersfield's throats and that was when they started to unravel.  I've seen the same unraveling happen to Fulham this season, when heads start to think too much about failing to this or do that and fear sets in to drive out self belief.   Fulham mustn't get nervy in either of the last two games - they must stay focused on the job, on what they do best and carry on believing that when they do their best it delivers results.

RaySmith

Very good analysis abfg.

I was there with a neutral mate, who hasn't watched us this season, and he kept applauding our defending and play from the back - and some of our football was indeed breath-taking.

It seemed a nightmare scenario when we went  one down so soon into the game, but the way we turned it round was like fantasy football - the  sort of  thing you dream about, then wake up to harsh reality. But this was on a par with Mitch's winner  in the semi-final, and our second half against City in the Great Escape, both games that I was fortunate enough  attend- and also games where you had to pinch yourself to check you weren't dreaming.

This was a truly magnificent Fulham awayday.

FulhamStu

Vinnieffc

Thanks abfg. Great overview. Always useful as am based in Ireland so don't get to the cottage. Good news is have just bought a house in England. Bad news it's in the Somerset//Dorset/Devon borders, so a 4 hour each way trip makes for a long day. And no beer because the transport infrastructure is rubbish. Cheers again Sir.

nose

are you sure you covered all matters?
What about a bit of stuff about the crowd and the amazing atmosphere, the funny songs and the pithy comments from wags in the crowd?
What about the fact in the north the flora and fauna is about two weeks behind us here ad so on a beautiful sunny day we treated to the trees in full blossom and the drive from the motorway to ground was magnificent.
Otherwise well put.