News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

As an enjoyable season comes to a end ...................

Started by bill taylors apprentice, April 25, 2017, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

I have a few questions about how things have turned out!

Was the Malone/Richards swap as inspired as its turned out or just a way to unload the useless Welshman we had lumbered ourselves with?

Considering our problems at CB over recent seasons do you think our keep ball tactics were designed to limit teams opportunities to expose our defence more than designed as an offensive tactic?

As an ex semi pro keeper myself (many years ago) I'm extra critical of keepers and while not overjoyed with Button I saw flaws in Bettinelli previously that made me doubt him.

However, his recent overall game is much improved so maybe the long wait was the wake up call needed to ensure he made the best of his talents, at least at Championship level.
Is this a position we can now tick off as sorted?

Woolly Mammoth

This is not the beginning of the end, just the end of the beginning.
There is still quite a way to go. The season is far from over I feel.  I hope at least 450 minutes of football.
I also wonder who will end up being our top scorer.
As for the Goalkeeper position, time will tell, but for me, Betts is a good keeper that should get better and better. Let's hope he is the answer, I think he could be.
As for the Scott Malone transfer, getting the Englishman in exchange for Richards has to be one of the best pieces of swop deals by Fulham in the history of mankind. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Snibbo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2017, 09:43:43 AM
As for the Scott Malone transfer, getting the Englishman in exchange for Richards has to be one of the best pieces of swop deals by Fulham in the history of mankind.

It's a funny one that, because the Cardiff fans were generally happy to see the back of Malone, from what I could see on their forum.

So does it come down to coaching and systems? Malone fits our style very well i.e. emphasis on attack as the best form of defence, whereas if he was called on to play in a more defensive team, his attacking qualities would be worthless.

Grumpy Worthing White

This is not the beginning of the end, just the end of the beginning.
There is still quite a way to go. The season is far from over I feel.  I hope at least 450 minutes of football.
I also wonder who will end up being our top scorer.
As for the Goalkeeper position, time will tell, but for me, Betts is a good keeper that should get better and better. Let's hope he is the answer, I think he could be.
Yep, I`ll go along with that.

toshes mate

I still recall Malone's early contributions to Fulham's early season games, commenting at the time on here that while his gait appeared clumsy on first appearance he showed ability at control of the ball and positional play that was inspiring and creative.  I am left with a convincing impression that Mr Malone has a much better footballing head on his shoulders than Richards.   

I am a firm believer that our esteemed head coach and his support staff recognise weaknesses in players, the formations and tactics employed, and determine how best they can be reduced or nullified.  All solutions take time since plugging one hole inevitably leads to another flaw developing.  I think our possession style and attacking play is seen both in terms of increasing goal scoring chances and reducing opportunities for opponents.    One thing it is not, and that is perfect, since players are human and mistakes will occur, but in latter parts of this season there has been greater self belief, team trust, character in not giving up, no heavy postmortems when we have failed or slipped, but a greater desire to come back and do better.  I think the switch between Button and Bettinelli is a product of that same philosophy i.e. not a criticism of Button but an encouragement for him to win his place back.

I really like the way SJ has set things up and no matter what the outcome of this season I am really looking forward to reading the next chapter of Slavisa's book.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Snibbo on April 25, 2017, 09:48:11 AM

It's a funny one that, because the Cardiff fans were generally happy to see the back of Malone, from what I could see on their forum.

So does it come down to coaching and systems? Malone fits our style very well i.e. emphasis on attack as the best form of defence, whereas if he was called on to play in a more defensive team, his attacking qualities would be worthless.
Are we forgetting that although we swapped players, we were not swapping like for like?   Richards is/was primarily a RIGHT back and Slavisa obviously preferred Fredericks there. We brought in Dennis Odoi after Richards left.

That said, I think Snibbo makes a valid point.  Malone scored only 2 goals in 54 appearances for Cardiff, 5 in 68 for Millwall and, so far, 6 for us in 38. (Tho' goals are not the be all and end all of his game of course.)  Style of play and getting the right players to fit the coach's preferred system has a huge bearing. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

hovewhite

This season will be one that i have enjoyed so much entertainment with results fantastic,as for malone i know who got better end of the swap,he also a very very good player.
Looking forward to the last games and next season no matter where we are league wise.coyw

filham

The season is now looking really good but in all honesty at Christmas, at the height of Martingate, it did not look as if play offs would be achievable.
Before we finally judge this to be a good season lets just get to the play offs, a win against Brentford on Saturday and the season can be declared a real  success.

jarv

I predicted we would finish 14th. What do I know? :Get Coat gif: