Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (03/09/10)

Started by WhiteJC, September 03, 2010, 07:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6354243,00.html
Hughes hails Bobby dazzler
Cottagers boss full of praise for talismanic frontman

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has been taken aback by just how fine a footballer Bobby Zamora really is.

Hughes took the Cottagers post over the summer, stepping into the void created by Roy Hodgson's departure to Liverpool.

He admits he was entering the unknown, having never worked with the majority of the squad he was inheriting.

He has, however, been impressed by the quality at his disposal, and has singled out Zamora for special praise.

The much-travelled frontman came into his own last season, earning widespread acclaim and England recognition.

He already has three goals to his name this term, having burst out of the blocks, and Hughes believes there is still more to come from a player he describes as 'quite a package'.

Credit
"When you come into a new situation you are not quite sure what you are getting, but Bobby is a top class Premier League striker," Hughes told the club's official website.

"His link-up play has impressed me and is better than people give him credit for.

"Bobby is quite a package and a threat. His link-up play and team work is excellent and he is a big factor in why we have started so brightly.

"He is very confident in his game and he is enjoying his work.

"At the moment he is able to transfer the work on the training ground on to the field of play and is playing really, really well."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=211868
Fulham - A Senderos Query!
One notable absentee from our nominated squad of 25 for the Premier League was our Swiss international defender, Philippe Senderos.

Senderos, the last signing made by Roy Hodgson before he parted for pastures new, is currently sidelined with a serious injury that is likely to see him miss the whole of this season.

Our question to you today (Thursday) relates to whether if Senderos had been fit would Mark Hughes have still signed the two defenders, Rafik Halliche and Carlos Salcido, that recently joined us?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=211868#ixzz0yRd8S6PL

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=211867
Fulham - Zamora`s New Deal
Having survived the best efforts of the poachers on transfer deadline day, the subject of a new contract for the highly valued Bobby Zamora has raised its head again.

The grapevine suggests that Bobby is about to be awarded a new contract that will see his current salary double to circa £50,000 and with a glowing reference form his new boss, who has commented about the transfer deadline day interest,

"I believe there were three substantial bids, but Bobby`s an important player for us."

Too right he is! Let`s hope the contract is too his liking!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=211867#ixzz0yRdQmX9i

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=211871
Fulham - Massive Squad Blunder?
In this day and age of numerous injuries and the stressed importance of having three goalkeepers, I can't help but feel worried about our 25 man squad and the lack of place for the invisible man Pascal Zuberbuhler. You can only look on in envy at Spurs' three keepers all being high class - Gomes, Cudicini and Pletikosa.

The further worry about this situation is that rumours suggest Stockdale is out for two months and Schwarzer's supposed 'minor injury'. Who will sit on the bench if Stockdale is out for that spell, one can only assume Hughes has seen enough in Etheridge to suggest he is good enough.

Furthermore, there are places in the squad for players rumoured to be leaving with a slim chance of first team football, the likes of Eddie Johnson, Fredrik Stoor and Diomansy Kamara. Perhaps, Zuberbuhler could have had one of their places?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=211871#ixzz0yRdfXpZv

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6354535,00.html
Burley glad to keep Speroni
Palace boss admits keeper did attract interest

Crystal Palace manager George Burley has expressed his relief at holding on to Julian Speroni after last interest in the goalkeeper.

Fulham are understood to have made a bid for the Argentine on deadline day as Cottagers No.1 Mark Schwarzer was linked with a switch to Arsenal.

Neither man ended up moving and Burley is delighted the speculation regarding Speroni is at an end, at least until January.

Speroni has earned rave reviews for his performances at Selhurst Park in recent years and Burley is not surprised there was attention from other clubs.

"There was an interest but nothing materialised," Burley told the South London Press.

"We've managed to keep hold of Julian, certainly until January at least, which is great.

"He has proven himself to be a fantastic keeper over a number of years and I'm very pleased he's still at the club."

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/9/2/1665541/final-thoughts-on-mark-schwarzer
Final Thoughts On Mark Schwarzer And Arsenal - Opinion

The Mark Schwarzer speculation took up the entire summer. I thought the transfer rumors last summer regarding Brede Hangeland were bad. The Schwarzer stories were definitely worse, and more prevalent. As a fan it was difficult to see the potential of one of your players going to another team. Arsenal were definitely interested as they made a couple of bids for the Australian goalkeeper. In the end though Schwarzer did not leave this transfer window for Arsenal.   

Let me first say that I don't blame Arsene Wenger and Arsenal for pursuing Schwarzer. They were trying to improve their club. Schwarzer is an excellent goalkeeper, and would have helped the Gunners. Arsene Wenger was doing his job by trying to upgrade his club.

I applaud Mark Hughes for doing his job as manager of Fulham. He could have given into the pressure of selling Schwarzer. Instead, he put his team first, and rejected the offer from Arsenal.

I know Arsenal, and their fans could be disappointed that a deal for Schwarzer was not made. I wouldn't blame the Fulham manager for not making the deal. He was looking out for his club, just like Arsene Wenger was protecting Arsenal when Barcelona came knocking on the door for Cesc Fabregas.

Both managers I think did the right thing for their clubs. Why make a deal if it is not going to be a benefit for your club? Both Mark Schwarzer and Cesc Fabregas are currently under contract with their teams. Both Fulham and Arsenal did not have to sell their players. I think the only way either player should have been sold if it actually improved their clubs.

I will give you an example of a situation that I think could be a benefit to both teams in a deal. Fulham just made a transfer agreement with Liverpool for Paul Konchesky. Fulham got back two young players, Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic plus cash from Liverpool. Fulham gave up a quality left back , but got back a striker and a winger with potential. I think it is a fair deal. Both sides could end up benefiting from this agreement.

Also, Mark Hughes handled this deal with Liverpool correctly. He brought in a replacement left back Carlos Salcido before making the agreement with Liverpool. Now, Fulham could actually have upgraded their club from the way Hughes handled this situation. Fulham now have cover at left back along with 2 young players.

Now, I would have been fine with Fulham letting Schwarzer go to Arsenal if Hughes could have found a replacement. If Arsenal and Fulham put together a deal similar to the Konchesky agreement, I would have been on board. I think the main problem was Hughes could not find a replacement for Schwarzer. Why would you make a deal if it is going to hurt your club?

I think Hughes did try to find a replacement, and was unsuccessful in finding a quality goalkeeper. I think he was using this as an opportunity to improve his club. If he found a replacement for Schwarzer, and got something decent from Arsenal, I think Mark Schwarzer would have been playing his next game for Arsenal.

The potential deal of Mark Schwarzer going to Arsenal did not happen. I don't think you can blame either team in this situation. Both managers were trying to improve their clubs.

Arsenal and their fans can now move on. I think the Gunners are going to have a very successful season. I picked Arsenal to win the League, and I have seen nothing to make me change my mind.     

Fulham and their fans can now move on as well. I think Fulham are definitely going to contend for a spot in Europe next season. In my opinion Mark Hughes has upgraded the team, and the future looks bright.

In concluding, the Mark Schwarzer situation showed me a great deal about two managers and their teams. Arsene Wenger and Mark Hughes are both going to do what is right for their clubs. Even though this deal for Schwarzer did not happen, I think both Fulham and Arsenal have much to look forward to this season.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/02/dickson-etuhu-not-bothered-by-fulham-silence-82029-27189451/?
Dickson Etuhu not bothered by Fulham silence

DICKSON Etuhu reckons he is in a win-win situation when it comes to getting a new Fulham contract – or not.

If the Whites come to him with an offer of a new deal before January, the Nigerian World Cup midfielder is happy to sit down and talk.

If not, the man who netted a point-saving equaliser in the 2-2 draw with Blackpool on Saturday, reckons there will be a 'hotel full of doors' opening when in effect he becomes a free agent in February.

He said: "I'm fairly laid back about it to be honest.

"It's a question of wait and see, and I'm not the only one with only a year left on my contract. There are at least another five of us, and of course, knowing what the future holds is a way of getting security for your family.

"But you say maybe another door would open. Not just one in my opinion, but a hotel full of doors I believe."

Right now, Etuhu's delighted with his start under new boss Mark Hughes – but admitted he had already got a family tip-off he would be Sparky's cup of tea.

Etuhu's younger brother Kelvin was on the phone within hours of Hughes' appointment last month.

Dickson said: "According to my brother who played under the manager at Manchester City, my type of game suits his style – but that still doesn't give me an automatic place."

Etuhu has a new personal website he hopes will keep folks back home in Nigeria informed – and also offers a platform for the community work he wants to do in Peckham where he grew up.

He added: "I got lucky because I was a footballer. But there's still a lot of problems there I'd like to try and help ease a bit."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/schwarzer_may_quit_for_german_move_554694/index.shtml
Schwarzer May Quit For German Move
Mark Schwarzer may quit Fulham in January.

The Mirror report that Schwarzer is understood to be considering his options after being denied Champions League football with Arsenal.

The Gunners were desperate to sign the 37-year-old stopper as a replacement for Manuel Almunia.

But Fulham first could not agree terms with the Gunners, then could not get a replacement in themselves in time.

Schwarzer is believed to be mulling over a move back to Germany where he has played before with Kaiserslautern.

He is also understood to have several other European clubs keen on his services.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/marchetti_interests_fulham__arsenal_554696/index.shtml
Marchetti Interests Fulham & Arsenal
Cagliari coach Pierpaolo Bisoli has confirmed goalkeeper Federico Marchetti will need to be sold in January, with Fulham showing interest.

Bisoli has been ordered not to play Marchetti, who was also a target for Arsenal during the summer.

"Marchetti is a great professional and a nice guy. He will continue to train with us with the same determination as he has always shown," said Bisoli.

Sardinian sources say Cagliari will drop their asking price to £5-6m in January to help Marchetti get his move to England.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/salihamidzic_eyes_premiership_move_554695/index.shtml
Salihamidzic Eyes Premiership Move

Juventus midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic is sounding out Premiership clubs about a January move - if not sooner.

Salihamidzic is being frozen out at Juve and knows he has little future in Turin. The former Bayern Munich would welcome a move to England, where his representatives have been in contact with Birmingham City and Fulham. A release from his contract hasn't been ruled out between transfer windows.

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/09/redemption_and_being_bobby_zee.php?
Redemption - and Being Bobby Zee
Posted by Phil Mison 6 hours, 2 minutes ago
It's been a remarkable 30 days in the life of Bobby Zamora. At the start of August he became the father of twin girls, quickly followed by his first international call-up. Three good goals from four matches at the start of the season, and now a double-your-money pay rise from Fulham.

Even considering the roller-coaster fortunes of a professional footballer, it's remarkable progress for a player not considered first-choice striker a year ago. The 2008-9 season ended with Fulham in 7th place, the highest ever position in the club's history. Bobby's goal tally for the campaign? Two league goals from 32 starts. After an early belter against Bolton Bobby endured a long drought, not broken until the end of February.

At Christmas Dempsey was being tried up front in tandem with AJ, by Spring it was Kamara. Through his personal bleak midwinter Bob was routinely subbed by Roy after half-time. His frustration boiled over when that elusive 2nd arrived at home to West Brom. A close-range unmissable tap in on his favoured left-foot was celebrated with spitting vitriol in the very faces of fans at the Hammy End. Supporters got a repeat dose of disdain when a headed winner finally saw off plucky Swansea in a Cup replay two days later.

If Bobby thought a corner had been turned, it hadn't. No further goals arrived in the final 14 games, and with black humour the crowd continued to sing, "When you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's Zamora." Amore in the style of Dean Martin it certainly wasn't. The big man finished the season on the bench, and that summer when Hull City came in with an offer that would have seen Fulham take a profit on their fee to West Ham for our misfiring front man, most fans - including myself - were only too happy to see it happen.

Bobby turned Hull down. What happened next is the stuff of Boy's Own annuals. Somehow it all came right in year two. A year after that Swansea header Bobby was unrecognisable - bullying Cannavaro at the Cottage and getting us back into the tie with an outstanding strike six minutes after Trezeguet's early dampener. To unnerve a player of Cannavaro's experience that night, and thus contribute to his sending-off, truly was the fulcrum for the most famous result in the club's history.

How to explain the transformation? Was it all down to Roy? Did AJ's absence allow Bobby to blossom? Had the 4-5-1 formation and the tactics evolved for European nights on the road somehow given Bob the freedom to throw off the shackles of doubt? The touch and confidence that flowed back into his play was a miracle to behold.

Bobby reborn. And despite the theories advanced above, it all comes down to the man himself. Consider this from both camps after Saturday's game at Blackpool. First Ian Holloway, who coached Bob at Bristol Rovers. "Fulham are a fantastic club and I can't tell you how impressed I have been by them," said Holloway. "Bobby looks like a proper player now. He is very clever and difficult to mark. I was happy when he went off to be honest."

As for Hughes, he made the following statement this week. "When you come into a new situation you are not quite sure what you are getting, but Bobby is a top class Premier League striker. His link-up play has impressed me and is better than people give him credit for. Bobby is quite a package and a threat. His link-up play and team work is excellent and he is a big factor in why we have started so brightly. He is very confident in his game and he is enjoying his work. At the moment he is able to transfer the work on the training ground on to the field of play and is playing really, really well."

From a man who knows. We now hear that Liverpool made a late enquiry for Zamora this week, offering to double his money. On the day Benjani cites there is no team spirit at Man City and players are 'only motivated by the money,' how heartening is it to hear Bobby turned down the move.

The real credit for such a monumental transformation in form deserves due recognition - achieved through sheer hard work and determination. Mickey Adams, who knew Bobby at Brighton a decade ago, says, "He has matured mentally more than anything. He has always had goal scoring ability, but just needed to believe in himself at the right times."

So, CONGRATULATIONS to Bobby Zamora, and well done to the board for moving swiftly to put our England international on £50,000 a week. That will keep the twins - and mum - happy. Let's hope after the current injury there are many more England caps to come.

The sullen goal celebrations of the past are long buried. Here is a man who makes us proud to wear the shirt.

Keep the faith

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/relief-at-the-cottage-as-mark-schwarzer-stays?
Relief at the Cottage as Mark Schwarzer stays
Fulham correspondent: Sometimes the last day transfers are about who you keep

Fulham attracted plenty of transfer attention during the Tuesday that the window slowly slammed shut.

While most other clubs were generally all aboard the rumour mill, going wild with who was seen at whose training ground or airport or Motorway café, Fulham centred on Mark Hughes' determination to keep what he had.

He had been active much earlier in the window and completed some good deals to strengthen the squad and it appeared he wasn't keen on weakening it on the final day, despite some strong approaches.

Sure Paul Konchesky's move to Anfield went through but that had already been made possible by the arrival of Carlos Salcido in the left back berth.

But it was either Hughes' determination to not let Mark Schwarzer go, despite some strong performances by David Stockdale – or, as some report, the lack of being able to bring in a suitable replacement in time. Shay Given, Doni and a couple of others were all mentioned during the day as being loan and transfer targets.

But as the hours and minutes ticked away, it became clear Hughes wanted an experienced and reliable keeper between the sticks and the best option available was the one he already had.

So Schwarzer stayed and we can all be delighted with that and hopefully he will accept the situation. I have no doubt that the experienced but possibly slightly disappointed Aussie will just get on with the job.

There were also strong rumours and apparent strong overtures to Fulham regarding Bobby Zamora. And it doesn't take a genius to guess that Anfield was one of those asking questions especially as Carlton Cole to Liverpool seemed to be one of the more persistent rumours of the day.

The great delight is that the Zamora-Dembele partnership that has started to look like becoming one of the highlights for the season ahead will remain intact.

There was also the strange one of club skipper Danny Murphy being on his way to Ipswich. And, for a brief hour or so, the one that had Hughes himself on his way to Aston Villa.

But, it is actually a very positive position we find ourselves in that we can actually turn down desperate and firm overtures all day long – well on that last final day.

It shows the solid financial position and where the club is viewed as an established Premier League club with a growing and perhaps, just as importantly, stable reputation.

Now we just need those first three points on the board so Mark Hughes can stop walking round with the thought of draws - déjà vu?

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/OfficialInternationalFulhamMembersClubs.aspx?
Official International Fulham Members' Clubs

The Club is pleased to announce that the first Official International Fulham Members' Clubs have been registered in the form of FFC Sweden, FulhamUSA, and the Fulham Exiles.

All three supporters' clubs have reached the first level of Official International Members' Club membership by registering at least 10 paid members.

In addition to each member receiving the great benefits such as ticketing priority, ticket discounts and an exclusive members' pack, all members in FFC Sweden, FulhamUSA and the Fulham Exiles share the following rewards for becoming official:

• Official status awarded

• Certification of Affiliation

• Details on official club website (contact name, email address, URL and logo)

• Signed Kit (to raffle off)

• One secretary to run scheme on behalf of club and liaise with Fulham FC

• Monthly Prize Draw

FulhamUSA, a group started by several American fans back in 2004, the Fulham Exiles, a website and supporter group made up mainly of English expats in the USA and FFC Sweden, the only official Members Club in Sweden is now available for other current Members to join for free. To find out more or to join any of the Official International Members' Clubs feel free to visit the FulhamUSA group on Cottage Corner, visiting the Fulham Exiles website or visiting FFC Sweden's website.

Start your own Official International Fulham Members' Club

Fans from across the globe can now get closer to the Club they love by setting up their very own Official International Members' Club. There are some fantastic benefits on offer once all paid members have signed up with the Club through the official registration channel.

Cottage Corner is yet another way for fans to be involved in all areas, as our exclusive social networking site, Cottage Corner, now has a fun and interactive Cottage Corner Members Map. This allows other fellow fans to see where other supporters are based around the globe! Sign up today!

Join Fulham Members Club Today

There are four levels of International group membership and just 10 paid Fulham Members are required to meet the Club's official entry level status and receive the first level of Fulham FC benefits.

Every International Members' Club will receive benefits whilst every individual paid member will receive exclusive ticketing access, ticketing discounts, a members' pack and more.

Find out more about the Official International Fulham Members' Club scheme and buy your membership today.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/OfficialInternationalFulhamMembersClubs.aspx?#ixzz0yTtzU1UQ

WhiteJC

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2143935,00.html?
Fulham Cup Date Confirmed
Posted on: Fri 03 Sep 2010

STOKE CITY can announce that the Carling Cup Third Round clash with Fulham will take place on Tuesday 21st September.

The game, taking place at the Britannia Stadium, has a kick off time of 7.45pm, with ticket details to be announced in due course.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/FoundationClinic.aspx?
Foundation Clinic

Following the great success of this summer's holiday courses, the Fulham Football Club Foundation are giving young supporters another opportunity to enjoy some fantastic coaching prior to Fulham v Wolves on Saturday 11th September.

It doesn't matter whether your child is the next Bobby Zamora or even if they have never kicked a football before, our exclusive pre-match skills clinic will cater for everyone from 6 to 14 years of age.

The clinic will be run by the Fulham FC Foundation's qualified, enthusiastic and experienced coaches, so they'll be in excellent hands.

Following the session, take your seats for the big game and watch the Whites put those skills to the test!

Places are available for just £45 and include one Adult and one Junior ticket as well as the pre-match skills clinic.

Bookings are only available by calling the Fulham FC Foundation on 0870 442 5432.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/FoundationClinic.aspx?#ixzz0yU8Fhy1F