watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The "What Ifs" Regarding penalties.

Started by valdeingruo, May 01, 2017, 05:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

We all know that this season has been dreadful regarding penalties, thankfully the football has been excellent and we havent had to rely on them for scoring. I went through our misses and found some interesting things.

Out of the missed penalties, only two have been "meaningless" ie; would not have changed the results. One against Newcastle and one against Rotherham, both wins.

Every other penalty was dropped points for a total of 7 points dropped, which would have put us in third, on 84.

QPR gave us 3 penalties, all missed.

Brentford 1

Newcastle 1

Brighton 1

Rotherham 1

Reading 1

Martin led the way with 3 misses, followed by Cairney with 2. Johansen, Ream and Aluko all had a solitary miss.

I pray we do not need to go to penalties.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

SuffolkWhite

It would be Fulhamish to be in a shoot out and score all we need.!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

valdeingruo

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on May 01, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
It would be Fulhamish to be in a shoot out and score all we need.!

Isnt that the truth.

VB

It's all if's & but's.....but
If we'd turned half of our draws into wins & 2 of our defeats into draws, We'd be top
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

valdeingruo

Quote from: VB on May 01, 2017, 06:06:33 PM
It's all if's & but's.....but
If we'd turned half of our draws into wins & 2 of our defeats into draws, We'd be top

I am well aware of it and more often than not take your stance on things but figured I'd come at this from the statistical stand point.

Woolly Mammoth

The incentive for Fulham is that we will not think about relying on penalties and penalty shoot outs, and win each match in open play, otherwise we could be sunk. On the other hand, it would not surprise me if Fulham went and scored their first five pens, and Betts saves their fifth pen.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ProfficerFFC

Actually it's 9 points dropped (and an EFL cup exit) because of missed penalties.

5 against QPR
2 vs Brentford
1 vs Brighton and Reading

Nothing would change though, in fact we'd be probably disappointed to narrowly miss out on automatic promotion.

F(f)CUK

At least we have lots of people with experience of taking penalties. :Get Coat gif:

Fulham1959

Wembley Final, and, after E.T :

" . . . and it's this kick to clinch Premier League football for Fulham next season"

Can you just imagine it !

F(f)CUK

Only if the opposition has missed 5 penalties by that stage.

SP

I've concluded this penalty missing malarkey was actually a Slav ruse to give us another day at Wembley, this time successfully.

Nurse...

:wine:

filham

So five different players have missed penalties, not sure where you go from there, the confidence level of each one of them must be very low. Perhaps we have to forget a direct shot at goal but put the keeper out of his stride by a good pass from Cairney for Aluko to dribble around the keeper.

Andy S

I don't agree that confidence is low re penalties. Everyone in football knows it is possible to miss a penalty. Then it swings round and we score every penalty. It is a funny old game. However with our Misses this season it would be quite ironic to be promoted on penalties. I think Fulhamish

filham

Quote from: Andy S on May 02, 2017, 09:39:36 PM
I don't agree that confidence is low re penalties. Everyone in football knows it is possible to miss a penalty. Then it swings round and we score every penalty. It is a funny old game. However with our Misses this season it would be quite ironic to be promoted on penalties. I think Fulhamish
Tell that to Lock, Berbatov, Murphy and Saha and they will enjoy a wry smile.
Sure penalties are missed from time to time but not at the rate we have missed them this season.