watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January Transfer Window.

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 01, 2017, 06:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Hasn't worked out for some clubs and their big money signings...
Villa bought Hogan,Houriane and Lansbury spending plenty and all getting the bird from Villa fans,Hogan 1 goal in 11.
Some on here were keen on him for us along with Rhodes who hasn't really sparkled for Wednesday, so maybe we did the right thing in not going after them.
Coyw..

Keynsham

Ha! Good point.

I remember the wailing and crying back then too.  It seems to be forgotten for now though, thankfully.

nose

Quote from: Keynsham on May 01, 2017, 07:15:28 PM
Ha! Good point.

I remember the wailing and crying back then too.  It seems to be forgotten for now though, thankfully.

i haven't forgotten... we have scrapped into the playoffs (or if a miracle occurs will not). we have far too few players in the squad... if we lose our key players we have no back up. we have no center forward, we have nobody except parker to stand up to the bully boy tactics of sheffield wednesday....   even though I am thrilled at how it has worked out, for the lack of a few pounds we could have been walking away with this and probably got top two.

I certainly have not forgotten. the manager is a genius for doing what he has done.

Lighthouse

I thought and still think our lack of January signings was a big mistake. I have since heard the club defend their position and simply don't agree. We have had a remarkable run but it wasn't down to our brilliant lack of signings in January. Buying players doesn't guarantee they will be successful. But not buying them means we really had little chance of making the play offs. We can thanks other clubs poor runs as much as our own remarkable one.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mince n Tatties

I'm not on about our lack of signing a striker,we should have got.
What I'm saying is Rhodes and Hogan for all the hype about them might not have been the answer to our striker problem.

Mokes

Surely after 45 of 46 rounds, having scored the most goals out of any team in the competition people can not still be whining about not having any striking options?? We have the best attacking team in the league...

RaySmith

And we still have Chris Martin as out secret  play-off weapon!

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: RaySmith on May 02, 2017, 03:58:32 AM

I'd forgotten all about him.

Roberty

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 02, 2017, 06:22:31 AM

His 3 match ban as ended - he should be fresh for the last 4 games
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Chutney

Quote from: Roberty on May 02, 2017, 06:55:36 AM

We are a much better team without him. Should be used as a last 10 plan B at most.
C O Y W

toshes mate

I don't think it would be wise of anyone at the Club to forget the January window fiasco no matter how it works out after the last whistle is blown in the Championship.  We have seen the team play on empty at times and we do need strength in depth.  SJ and the other coaches have been miracle workers and they deserve a tad more effort from the other back room boys this summer no matter which league we play our first game in next season.

With Martin available it'll be interesting to see what SJ does for Sunday.

fulhamben

Quote from: Chutney on May 02, 2017, 08:16:01 AM

We are a much better team without him. Should be used as a last 10 plan B at most.
totally agree. and even then kebano has been way more effective coming off the bench. he actually scores goals
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

MikeW

Just a question .... should we need him is Martin around for the play off's?  I have known cases were loans expire on a specific date - say May 7th - and irrespective, the player returns to his own club.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Snibbo

I'd say our transfer activities in the last 12 months have, overall, been shrewd and mostly successful, the best we've had in years. Of course a few more purchases may have helped, but as the OP has pointed out, they may have also gone wrong. Siggurdson was widely acclaimed when we bought him but we've ended up using the vastly improved Ream instead, which has turned out well.

For all the criticism of the use of stats and the "2 yes" approach, the record shows that it has, by and large, worked very well. Not to say it can't be improved and I'm sure management is always looking to improve the way we do things. But credit where it's due in my book.

gang

Quote from: Statto on May 02, 2017, 09:18:12 AM
Quote from: MikeW on May 02, 2017, 08:58:52 AM
Just a question .... should we need him is Martin around for the play off's?  I have known cases were loans expire on a specific date - say May 7th - and irrespective, the player returns to his own club.

It's a strange one really, had Derby got into the playoffs and we failed he could have played for Derby.
My opinion is keep him on the bench.

toshes mate

When I read the rule it clearly states that the 'end of season loan contract' expires after all matches including play-offs (which are an integral part of 'the Season') are completed.  Martin could not have played for anyone else but Fulham unless a) he had obtained an agreed return to Derby in January or b) Fulham opted to purchase him in January and sold him on elsewhere.  He couldn't have figured for Derby unless he returned to them in January.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: nose on May 01, 2017, 09:14:07 PM
Quote from: Keynsham on May 01, 2017, 07:15:28 PM
Ha! Good point.

i haven't forgotten... we have scrapped into the playoffs (or if a miracle occurs will not). we have far too few players in the squad... if we lose our key players we have no back up. we have no center forward, we have nobody except parker to stand up to the bully boy tactics of sheffield wednesday....   even though I am thrilled at how it has worked out, for the lack of a few pounds we could have been walking away with this and probably got top two.

I certainly have not forgotten. the manager is a genius for doing what he has done.
Spot on Nose, you've summed it up so well, I can't even add to it.

davew

He should have been fresh all season after the lack of effort, mixed feelings about him being selected Sunday or in the play offs, don't feel I could trust him to help us get promotion, unless of course he is being offered a secret deal at FFC?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Martin can serve a purpose, but I would place Kebano way ahead of him in the pecking order.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.