more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (07/05/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 07, 2017, 07:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham casting their eye over SPAL defender as they scout Serie B

The west London side are keen to bolster their defensive options ahead of next season and reports have suggested Fulham are keeping a close eye on Serie B

Fulham are reportedly casting their eye over Serie B defender Francesco Vicari.

The 22-year-old centre back has been watched a number of times by the Cottagers scouting department, according to reports from Italy, with the side set to scout him again this weekend.

SPAL currently sit in top in the Italian second division with Vicari playing a staring role in the side, who signed last year from fellow Serie B side Novara.

Vicari is considered as one of the most promising players in Serie B this season, and has attracted attention from Serie A clubs Sassuolo and Chievo as well as the west Londoners.

Slavisa Jokanovic is keen to bolster his defensive options ahead of next season, with signing Tomas Kalas also high on his list of transfer targets for the summer.

(Photo: Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-casting-eye-over-novara-12995520

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon to Liverpool: The one big factor that could help Reds sign Fulham star
RYAN SESSEGNON is a boyhood Liverpool fan - and it is this which could play into Jurgen Klopp's hands in signing him.

The Reds have identified the 16-year-old Fulham left-back as one of the stars of the future.

He burst on to the scene in the Championship this year and is now on the radar of all the top clubs.

Manchester United, City, Arsenal and Tottenham have all been linked with the whizzkid, who is an England Under-19 international.

Ryan Sessegnon is a boyhood Liverpool fan

Express Sport understands that Sessegnon sees his future at Fulham - for now - because he wants to continue to get regular football.

He thinks a move to a big club would leave him banished to the Under-23s.

But the big trump card Liverpool could play is the fact that Sessegnon is a big Reds fan.

He grew up supporting the club as a kid - despite living in London.

Although a summer move is unlikely - regardless of whether Fulham go up in the play-offs or stay in the Championship - his boyhood allegiance could play into Liverpool's hands when Sessegnon does move on.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/801098/Ryan-Sessegnon-Liverpool-Jurgen-Klopp-Fulham-transfer-news-football

WhiteJC

FULHAMERICA: U.S. Players That Have Passed Through Craven Cottage
A look at all the U.S. players that have called Craven Cottage home through the years

While a number of foreign clubs have deployed multiple Americans through the years – Rangers and Everton immediately come to mind – no club outside the U.S. has recognized the value of MNT players as much English side Fulham FC has.

Take a look at the nine players that have helped make up "Fulhamerica" the past two decades:

Marcus Hahnemann (1999-02)

Joining Fulham in June 1999, the goalkeeper holds the distinction of being the first U.S. player to sign with the Cottagers, but was limited to just four competitive appearances in three seasons. While he didn't find much playing time at Fulham, the move did help him get a foothold in the English game, as a loan stint to Reading during the 2001-02 season earned him making a permanent move to the Royals, whom he later helped gain promotion to the Premier League during the 2005-06 season.

Eddie Lewis (2000-02)

The second U.S. player at Fulham, Lewis arrived at Craven Cottage as a regular with the National Team during Bruce Arena's early tenure as MNT head coach. He moved to London in March 2000, but played sparingly as the club earned promotion to the Premier League the following season.

While things weren't meant to be with Lewis and Fulham, like Hahnemann the left winger used his time in west London to establish himself in England and later became a key piece with Preston North End and Leeds United before playing in the Premier League with Derby County during the 2007-08 season.

Carlos Bocanegra (2004-08)

The second wave of American signings began arriving on the shores of the River Thames when defender Carlos Bocanegra signed on a free transfer from Chicago Fire. Just as he often did with the U.S. MNT, Bocanegra showed his versatility at Craven Cottage, moving between center back and left back and even making some spot appearances in defensive midfield when needed.

The future U.S. captain played parts of five seasons for the club and was vital in helping Fulham stay in the Premier League during their 2006-07 and 2007-08 campaigns.

The highest scoring defender in MNT history, Bocanegra registered a goal in every season but his first at Craven Cottage, and during the 2006-07 season his five goals actually placed him second on the team in scoring behind a fellow American teammate...

After the club successfully avoided relegation in 2008, Bocanegra departed for French Ligue 1 side St. Etienne, leaving Craven Cottage having made 133 appearances and adding eight goals across all competitions.

Brian McBride (2004-08)

A week after Bocanegra signed with Fulham, veteran U.S. forward Brian McBride also arrived in west London. Having taken previous loan stints to Preston North End and Everton, McBride was no stranger to the English game and went on to make 19 appearances and score five goals during his first half season with Fulham.

During the next few seasons McBride built upon the workmanlike reputation he developed with Columbus Crew SC and the U.S. MNT, becoming a fan favorite with the Fulham faithful as he scored a minimum of nine competitive goals through three different seasons for the Cottagers.

In 2005-06, McBride's 10 goals made him the first American to reach double digits in the English Premier League. The following season he led the team with 12 goals in 42 competitive appearances as the Cottagers narrowly avoided relegation. In 2007-08, he returned from a broken kneecap suffered early in the season to help Fulham stay up once again. In both seasons, he was named Fulham's Player of the Year.

Having tallied 40 goals in more than 150 matches for the club, McBride departed Fulham following "The Great Escape" of 2008. The U.S. Soccer Hall of Famer sits tied with Steed Malbranque as the club's second all-time leading Premier League goal scorer with 32.

He's still highly regarded around Craven Cottage as well, with the club renaming a lounge inside the stadium as "McBride's" in June 2009.

Clint Dempsey (2007-12; 2014)

Fulham continued to tap the U.S. market, making their biggest splash when they landed the signature of rising U.S. star Clint Dempsey in January 2007. Though the MNT attacker didn't gain a starting spot early, he did write his name in Fulham lore during his initial campaign. In the 49th minute of the club's home finale that season against Liverpool, Dempsey scored the game's only goal – his first in a Fulham shirt – as the Cottagers went on to win 1-0 and confirm their place in the Premier League for another season.

From that point forward, Dempsey was a regular at Craven Cottage for the next five seasons, scoring no less than six league goals per campaign. Aside from his 2007 goal in the shutout of  Liverpool, Dempsey will best be remembered for a stunning chip that served as the series-winning goal in Fulham's 5-4 aggregate win against Italian giants Juventus in the Round of 16 of the 2009-10 UEFA Europa League. Fulham went all the way to the championship match of that year's competition, and Dempsey became the first American to play in a major European final as Fulham fell 2-1 in extra time to Atletico Madrid.

The following season, Dempsey tallied 12 goals to break McBride's scoring record by an American in the Premier League, only to smash it the next season when he bagged 17, tying for fourth in scoring in the league behind only Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Sergio Agüero.

Following that campaign, Dempsey transferred to Tottenham Hotspur and then to his current club Seattle Sounders FC, but he did make a brief loan return to Craven Cottage in January 2014 as he prepared for that year's FIFA World Cup.

With 50 goals, Dempsey holds the distinction as the club's all-time leading goal scorer in the English Premier League goal by some margin over McBride and Steed Malbranque (32 each).

Kasey Keller (2007-08)

Having signed with Millwall in 1992, Keller ended his long stay in Europe by joining McBride, Bocanegra and Dempsey at Craven Cottage before the start of the 2007-08 season.

The four-time World Cup veteran 'keeper split time in goal with Finnish international Antti Niemi that season, but did play in many of Fulham's games down the stretch. On the final day of the season, Keller memorably brought down the curtain on his 16 European campaigns when he earned a clean sheet in a 1-0 win at Portsmouth, which helped the club avoid relegation for a second-straight year.

Eddie Johnson (2008-11)

Eddie Johnson became the fifth American on the books at Fulham when he departed U.S. MNT January Camp to sign at Craven Cottage in early 2008. The 2006 FIFA World Cup veteran played 19 matches during three seasons with the club, spending much of that time out on loan to the likes of Cardiff City, Aris Thessaloniki and Preston North End before returning to M.L.S. with Seattle Sounders FC in 2012.

Emerson Hyndman (2011-16)

After rising through the FC Dallas Academy, Emerson Hyndman moved to London to join the Fulham Academy as a 15-year-old in 2011.

Hyndman rose through the club's development setup and joined the first team ahead of the 2014-15 campaign. He went on to play 30 games during two seasons at Craven Cottage before transferring to Bournemouth last summer.

Tim Ream (2015-present)

After four seasons in England with Bolton Wanderers, center back Tim Ream made the switch to Fulham ahead of the 2015-16 campaign. The U.S. defender has been a solid contributor for the Cottagers ever since, appearing in 29 matches last season and 33 this year, serving as a lynchpin in the heart of the Fulham defense.

Ream recently penned this essay on what it's been like to experience Fulham's chase for promotion to the English Premier League.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/05/06/12/05/20170506-feat-mnt-gallery-fulhamerica-usmnt-players-at-fulham

WhiteJC

Fantasy kits for 2017-18 season
May 6, 2017 by WhiteJC.

These are some electronic scribbles I've made.

With the end of the season approaching, I'm not going to think about the play-offs and a possible visit to Wembley, 1975 seams like yesterday!, I thought it might be fun to design some home and away kits.

I have no idea who the shirt sponsor will be next season so I've kept Visit Florida.

the home shirts will obviously be mainly white, I hope orange will be avoided at all costs

this home shirt has a nod to the early 90's       

this home shirt has a nod to the 2007-08 season shirt

AWAY SHIRTS

the first couple are less traditional Fulham colours

this has a nod to the 1999-2000 season away shirt

this to early 90's 3rd kits

this has a nod to the 2000's black away kits

these are a nod to the 94-96 and 2008-09 away kits

these are a nod to the 93-94, 2001-02 and 2007-08 away kits

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=534

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday: Why Daniel Pudil is not shocked Fulham are promotion contenders

It is no surprise whatsoever to Owls defender Daniel Pudil to see Fulham in the hunt for promotion to the top-flight.

The Cottagers look destined to compete in the end-of-season play-offs after a fine sequence of results.

Slavisa Jokanovic's lie sixth in the table and the Londoners would have to lose tomorrow at Hillsborough and Leeds United would have to beat relegated Wigan Athletic, while overturning a 13-goal swing, for Fulham to miss out.

Wednesday host the Cottagers, having lost just one of their last 19 home league matches against Fulham (W10 D8). Pudil said: "It is always tough to play against Fulham. I knew they would be pushing to be in the play-offs. It is not a big surprise to me they are in this position.

"They have played well all season. They like to play passing football. It will be an interesting game for us. "I think they are the highest scoring team in the Championship. Sometimes they can leave spaces at the back and we have to exploit that.

"I believe we can win this game. We are on a good run so let's try to keep it going."

Full-back Pudil insists it "doesn't matter" who Wednesday face in the play-off semi-finals. "We know we are going to play Reading, Huddersfield or Fulham; we are not thinking about that," he said. "We just want to win the game and we will see what will happen after the 90 minutes and we will then prepare for the semi-finals."

It is the second year in succession the Owls will take part in the play-offs. Carlos Carvalhal's charges made it through to Wembley in 2016 but fell short in the showpiece final, losing 1-0 to Hull City.

Pudil said: "It's great work from everyone at the club to achieve back-to-back play-offs. "Everyone from the chairman, the players and the management staff have done their job over the last two years. "We didn't take that last step last year but everyone is focused on going to the final this year and going to the Premier League."

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-why-daniel-pudil-is-not-shocked-fulham-are-promotion-contenders-1-8530576

WhiteJC

Opinion: FLW Writers predict who will win the Championship playoffs

It has, once again, been an exhilarating Championship season, and while the top two looked set from early on, the matter of the playoffs is anyones guess.

The participants will have come as a surprise to anyone making predictions at the start of the season, as three of the four finished in 17th, 19th and 20th respectively last season.

For Reading, Huddersfield and Fulham, the turn around has been majestic. They same, too, would have been said of Leeds if they had not fallen to an end of season capitulation.

These three clubs will, frankly, be extremely happy to have finished where they have finished, regardless of what happens in the next few weeks. The promise of Premier League football, however, will still keep the fans dreaming.

For Sheffield Wednesday, the season has ended on a high, and Carlos Carvahal has completed the minimum expectation and will hope to finally bring the Owls back to the big time.

With each club looking pretty similar in strength, the play off winner is an extremely hard thing to predict. At FLW, we have tried to have a got at it anyway. Here are our predictions as to who will take that final, coveted place in the Premier League.

Ashley Williams – Sheffield Wednesday
I think they possess one of the strongest squads in the league and deserve to be in the top six for a consecutive year. It's looking likely that they will face Huddersfield Town in the play off semi final and I think they will fancy their chances against the Terriers. The Owls have got a strong spine in the team that should push them across the finish line at Wembley Stadium, with Westwood in goal, who in my opinion should have been playing in the Premier League years ago. Lees and Loovens at the back are very strong and make a great partnership. Bannan has been great in the middle of the park once again, and finally the formidable front force of Jordan Rhodes, Forestieri, Fletcher and Gary Hooper. The Owls were unlucky last season in the playoff final against Hull, they looked the better side throughout and were unpinned by a moment of magic from Mo Diame. Wednesday also come into the pivotal end of the season in fine form – winning six games on the trot. Confidence and morale will be high, which is great platform to go that one step further.

Ryan White – Huddersfield Town
It's been a season full of ups and downs for many supporters across the division, but four sets of fans should be proud of their club for making it into the lucky four to potentially win promotion to the coveted Premier League. I think there's flaws in each team to be honest, but as well they all have their individual strengths which will make it hard to predict who'll be the side to gain promotion to the top-flight.
Honestly, I think it may be Huddersfield Town. Only reason I say that is because the Terriers have been particularly consistent over the last ten months or so and even began the campaign in the top two. David Wagner hasn't got the largest fan base behind him, nor does he have access to a large budget, but what the German does have at his disposal is a strong dressing room and players willing to fight for that badge. They may not be the best footballers compared to the likes of Reading, Sheffield Wednesday or Fulham, however, that pride and passion amongst the squad will get them through to Wembley and defy the odds to gain a place in the top division for the first time in 45 years.

Harry Webster – Fulham
Perhaps surprisingly, I think Fulham will be the team to win this years play-offs. Jokanovic has turned his side into one of the footballing sides in the division and they have shown that they are capable of beating the top sides. Tom Cairney in midfield has been one of the best players in the Championship this season and much of their success has been down to him I feel. The likes of Ryan Sessegnon, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen are also very talented players.
Although Reading are another fantastic footballing side as well as Huddersfield, I just feel that Fulham could be the team to surprise everyone. Sheffield Wednesday have done superbly well to achieve the play offs after their heartbreak last season and they will be another team that have the experience to go all the way in the play offs. Nevertheless, I still believe that Fulham will be playing Premier League football next season.

Charlie Firth – Sheffield Wednesday
As a Reading fan I feel duty bound to justify our case for play off glory – although I'm far too scared to definitively predict a Royals promotion. Reading are extremely strong at home – none of the top six have beaten us at the Madejski Stadium this year – and if we can put in a strong enough home leg there is absolutely no reason why we can't get to the final. That said, the away form is a distinctive worry, and the defence must be solidified with the return of Paul McShane, and the ball must be played a bit quicker. At Wembley, who knows, but there is absolutely no reason why Reading can't win promotion – rule us out at your peril.
Having said that, people regard Fulham as the favourites given their momentum and attacking flair, but I feel this is Sheffield Wednesday's to lose. Looking at the last ten games, Wednesday are actually in better form than Fulham and their form seems to have peaked at exactly the right time, banishing any question of whether they would finish in the top six and cruising into play off contention. I worry that on a number of occasions, Fulham have bottled important fixtures, and I think many may be surprised at how they perform in the next two weeks. Sunday's fixture will be telling. As for Huddersfield, I'd be feeling very uneasy about their recent form if I were a Terrier's fan, especially their trouncing by Fulham – particularly worrying due to their impressive record against the divisions best teams, has the bubble burst in that regard? Who can tell, but what is for sure is that this will be one of the hardest play offs to predict in a long, long time.

Rob Booth – Fulham
I think Fulham are dark horses for the play-offs but in my opinion will overcome the other three. Slavisa Jokanovic's side are entering the play-offs in some good form which will give them a boost. Fulham play good football and have a lot of energy and pace in their side which I think will see them capture promotion to the promised land. The Cottagers have shown real quality this season, quality that will be vital in a big play-off match. For me, Fulham will win the play-offs.

Tom Rawcliffe – Sheffield Wednesday
I backed them at the start of the season and I'm not changing my mind – I think Sheffield Wednesday will finally make it. They've been close before but this could be the season they break through to the Premier League and it wouldn't be a huge surprise to me if they managed to stay up if they do make the big league. The remaining teams have all done themselves proud this season and can all leave with their heads held high.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/opinion-flw-writers-predict-who-will-win-the-championship-playoffs/

WhiteJC

Opinion: Fulham should make a move for this highly rated Liverpool youngster in 2017/18

Fulham have had an excellent season in the Championship this year, with manager Slavisa Jokanovic managing to turn things around following a miserable campaign last season.

Their form has driven them towards a playoff place, and with a bit of luck they could well be playing Premier League football once more in the 2017/18 campaign.

Regardless of what league the Cottagers are playing in, the club will need to strengthen in the summer, and one man the club could look to make a loan move for is Liverpool starlet Ben Woodburn.

The teenager has been highlighted as one of the top talents in the Premier League, and manager Jurgen Klopp has had no qualms about putting Woodburn into the Liverpool team as and when he has needed him.

With Fulham playing such an exciting brand of football and Liverpool looking likely to be playing Champions League football next season, a loan move for Woodburn could be the ideal scenario for all involved, and give the player some crucial experience of being in the first team on more regular occasions.

It could well be an exciting prospect all around should a move like this be completed, and one which would surely be of huge benefit to Woodburn in the long run.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/opinion-fulham-should-make-a-move-for-this-highly-rated-liverpool-youngster-in-201718/

WhiteJC

We asked a fan from every Premier League club which play-off contender they want promoted

Brighton & Hove Albion and Newcastle United have already booked their places in the Premier League for next season but there is still one final promotion place left up for grabs in the Championship.

Once the 46th round of games are done and dusted in the English second tier, attention turns to the play-offs – four teams, four fixtures and one big chance to join the Seagulls and the Magpies in moving up a level in the summer.

Given the prominence enjoyed by clubs with bird-based themed nicknames so far, Sheffield Wednesday – the Owls – might feel they have at least one advantage in the battle to overcome the other three teams ranked third to sixth to follow the top two into the Premier League.

Wednesday have also conceded the fewest goals. Fulham, meanwhile, are the high scorers of the group.

Huddersfield Town and Reading have recorded the fewest draws, with the Terriers praised for their intense, high-pressing style of play while the Royals have sought to defeat their opponents by dominating possession.

Yet which club would fans of the current crop of 20 Premier League teams like to see join the top division next season, and who do they think will be a bigger hit in 2018 – Brighton or Newcastle? To find out, Squawka went and asked them.

Arsenal – David Seager

David is a columnist for Gunners Town and football.london and author of 'Supporting Arsenal Is A Funny Old Game' – out now!

Which of the play-off contenders do you want to see make it into the Premier League for next season and why?

I probably should want a return for Fulham, as the London club, but I actually would like to Sheffield Wednesday back in the big time.

They have huge and vocal support and have retained that as they dropped down the leagues from being an established top-flight team.

Arsenal have had many epic cup battles with them and of course, although tarnished in 1989, Hillsborough is still a wonderful old-school football arena.

There are a couple of Fulham players I admire too and if they don't come up Tom Cairney, the best player in that league in my view, will be on the market.

A worthwhile punt for someone and why not Arsenal. I have no attachment to either Reading of Huddersfield so sorry chaps!

Which club will make a bigger impact next season – Brighton or Newcastle?

Despite their obvious sense of over-entitlement – and because of the money, the size of the fanbase and of course the experience of the manager – I expect Newcastle to do far more than survive next season. They will need to spend what [Mike] Ashley allows them to wisely but Rafa [Benitez] has the network and the contacts to do that.

It will be lovely to see Brighton back in the big time and they have a stadium that merits it and superb fans but their task is tall. [Chris] Hughton is well liked in the game but has failed with the previous two sides he has promoted and unlike his Spanish counterpart, perhaps does not have the same pull in the player market.

Newcastle's aspiration is the first season back will be to make the top half of the Premier League table come May 2018 whereas the Seagulls will be delighted to finish 17th and I hope they do.

Bournemouth – Amit Katwala

Amit is the author of 'The Athletic Brain – How Neuroscience Is Revolutionising Sport' – out now!

Which of the play-off contenders do you want to see make it into the Premier League for next season and why?

From a purely selfish point of view – as a London-based fan who mainly goes to away matches – I'd like Fulham, not least because our 5-1 Friday night win at Craven Cottage in the 2014/15 season was one of the greatest games I've ever seen.

One of the things we were excited about when we got promoted was the chance to go to all these iconic stadiums – so Sheffield Wednesday are probably next on the list.

Reading and Huddersfield's grounds are both relatively new and leave me a bit cold, but you can't deny the history at Hillsborough.

Brighton have been knocking on the door for years but I think their success might depend on what approach they take. As we saw with Middlesbrough this season, continued Championship quality doesn't necessarily translate if teams take a negative approach.

I'd back Newcastle to finish above Brighton this season – you've got an experienced manager in Rafa Benitez (if he stays), and a squad of players that mostly have Premier League experience, plus a seeming will to invest.

Burnley – Bryan Morrissey

I'd definitely prefer to see Sheffield Wednesday or Huddersfield come up.

Sheffield Wednesday because they are a big club with ex-Clarets doing well there, Steven Fletcher and Ross Wallace, or Huddersfield as they are a club similar to Burnley.

They have a good following – you rarely see anyone in the town wearing anything but the team's colours – and are a one-club town and it would mean more to the fans I think than Reading. Also, an easy away day for Clarets – half an hour away!

I think Brighton will have a decent impact next year. Good squad and hungry to get back to former glory. Rubbish fans though – a long way to travel assuming, of course, that Burnley stay up!

Chelsea – Joe Tweeds

Joe is the owner of Chelsea fansite PlainsOfAlmeria.co.uk and a contributor to We Ain't Got No History.

Reading are a perennial yo-yo team who add little to the league. It would be great to see what ex-Academy player John Swift could do in the Premier League, but given Reading might be the most banal away day going they have to miss out.

Fulham could quite plausibly fall into the same bracket, but as they are five minutes down the road from Stamford Bridge, they get a pass.

For someone who grew up with Sheffield Wednesday being a decent team, it has amazed me that it has taken them this long to recover from Premier League relegation. Hillsborough, equally, is an iconic ground with plenty of character and a great venue that represents classic English football.

However, the team I would love to see get promoted is Huddersfield. With Izzy Brown and Kasey Palmer doing so well for them, it feels like a club that Chelsea can send its best youth prospects to and prosper.

Their manager is excellent and his style of play, as well as coaching prowess, should be commended. It ticks the 'haven't been there' box as well as potentially being quite an interesting away day.

It has to be Newcastle. Despite absolutely despising everything about Rafa Benitez's existence, you would have to say he is much better equipped to navigate the perils of Premier League waters. Newcastle are likely to have more of a Premier League-worthy budget when compared to Brighton.

Much is being said about Brighton coming up and doing it the Bournemouth way – smart investment and good management will keep them afloat. Like Bournemouth, you have to wonder whether Brighton's approach works as well at the next level without a serious upgrade in personnel.

Newcastle will have the bigger impact overall and no doubt beat Chelsea in a game where they resemble Barcelona 2008-12 and then get hammered by Hull the next week. Although, if we are all being honest, Brighton away sounds much, much better.

Crystal Palace – Chris Waters

Chris is a Crystal Palace Trust Board member and contributor to the club's matchday programme.

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd like it to be Huddersfield as I have never been to their ground. The Terriers have also been there or thereabouts all year, playing good football, and arguably deserve to go up.

However, most Palace fans would be happy to see Fulham go up; a short journey and a great away day by the Thames!

An easy question for a Palace fan! Newcastle United have the experience, the fanbase, and the manager to make a real impact next year.

No Eagles supporter wants to see their fiercest rivals the Seagulls in the Premier League; now it has finally come to pass we will be looking to do the double over them to send them straight back down again!

On a serious note, they have done things the right way in building a new stadium and investing in their academy, but they will have to spend some serious money to strengthen the team to be able to compete.

Everton – Colin Berry

Colin is a game designer for Lucid Games.

All four of them have things going for them. Jaap Stam has done really well at Reading. Wednesday have been on a great run lately and after dropping so far down it would be nice for their fans to get all the way back up, Fulham have ended the season well – and I've always had a soft spot for Fulham.

Huddersfield haven't been in the premiership so it would be cool if they made it. If I had to pick one, then I'd go with Huddersfield, as it would be all new to them.

I haven't seen much of either – I've seen more of Fulham and Wednesday lately – but I suspect Newcastle's experience will help them massively, plus I expect them to spend and try to get into the top half.

They have a massive fanbase and a good manager. There is every chance for them to establish themselves in the top half properly over the next couple of years, if they make some decent signings and I think they will, or they will try to at least.

Brighton have done well but it's a big step. If they can stay up it will be a great achievement. Anything more than 16th or 17th would be massive. I hope Hughton is given the whole season. Too often clubs come up, have a wobble and the board sack the guy who got them up in the first place.

Hull City – Richard Hinmann

Richard is a football writer for Outside90 and Gentleman Ultra.

I would go for Sheffield Wednesday. They are huge club with a great fan base. Having been to Hillsborough and Wembley for the play-off final last year, I know their support is vocal. I think they would be a great addition to the top-flight.

Being a proud Yorkshire man, I think the more northern sides in the Premier League the better. Huddersfield would be great as well and Fulham away is always a good day out.

I think Newcastle. As long as Benitez stays and he is given some funds to add to the squad I think they will be fine back in the top-flight. They have such a strong side there is no reason why they cant be a solid mid-table side.

Brighton are a well-run club and are getting the benefits of that now. I think they will be competitive in the Premier League but will be fighting against relegation.

Leicester City – Simon Armitage

In terms of the four play-off contenders, I think I'd root for Huddersfield. The other three – Reading, Fulham and Wednesday – have all played in the Premier League before, and it's always nice to see a new face and visit a new ground.

They've been punching above their weight this season, and were leading the pack for a while, so it'd be good to see that rewarded. We always seem to beat them too – we put six past them a few years ago. I think they'll struggle though.

I think Newcastle will outperform Brighton next year. They've got the experience, the financial muscle (providing Ashley backs them sufficiently), and a top quality manager.

I hope Brighton do well, especially with our old boy Anthony Knockaert in the team, but I don't know if they'll be strong enough without substantial investment in the summer. Can Glenn Murray carry a team to safety in the Premier League? They may find themselves going down the Middlesbrough route.

Liverpool – Nina Kauser

Nina is a writer, editor and podcast host for Anfield Index.

Ideally I'd like Huddersfield Town to get promoted to the Premier League. The main reason behind my choice is David Wagner and the link to Jürgen Klopp.

They're both former Dortmund men. He's done a fantastic job getting them into the play-offs given he was only appointed as manager last season.

On another note it would be excellent experience for Liverpool's on loan keeper Danny Ward too as I don't think he's ready to be called back to Anfield and challenge Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius, although Huddersfield getting promoted could mean he stays put to get game-time in the Premier League.

It's only good news for Klopp and Liverpool either way in terms of a future sale or competition for keepers at Anfield.

Newcastle. They're no strangers to the Premier League, neither are the majority of their players and then there's their manager.

Rafa Benitez won't come into the new season with the objective of survival. He'll look to strengthen in the summer and make Newcastle United a resilient defensive team and I genuinely believe that St James Park will become a bit of fortress.

Benitez is a quality manager, he's proven at a top-flight level and I feel he'll be more equipped at dealing with big teams and their managers as opposed to Brighton. However, I do think they will be an exciting team to watch.

Manchester City – Daniel Morehead

Fulham have the momentum at the moment, but I'd love Huddersfield do it. Wagner's reserves held their own against us in the cup and it would be great to have another new face join the league.

It would be interesting to see whether Aaron Mooy stays on loan, which I suspect is dependent on their promotion, or joins up with our first team squad in pre-season. I'm sure the Terriers will also appreciate how much we talk about the 10-1.

I think most of us (Crystal Palace fans aside) are pretty excited to have Brighton join the Premier League. A new ground to visit and an exciting team to watch. The comparisons with Bournemouth are obvious and it wouldn't be surprising for Brighton to establish themselves as one of the neutrals' favourites next season.

I think both teams will stay up, but Newcastle have the capacity to self implode in a 'Typical City' style which few other clubs can replicate – see winning promotion one day and being raided by HMRC the next. Let a City fan tell you that 'Cityitis' is incurable, I'm afraid. It's in the DNA.

Manchester United – Paul Ansorge

Paul is co-host of leading Manchester United podcast United Rant and a writer for Bleacher Report.

It's got to be Fulham. I'm sure there are some United fans who'd say Leeds for the resumption of the rivalry, that neutral stand at Fulham packed with reds is one of the most fun away days to watch play out.

I should also add that I have a weird personal affection for Sheffield Wednesday, but that's neither here nor there.

I haven't watched much (read: any) of them in the Championship but I'd guess Benitez's Newcastle will be more equipped, assuming he can persuade Mike Ashley to part with some money.

Brighton will be a welcome addition. Chris Hughton seems lovely and everyone loves a trip to the seaside.

Middlesbrough – Rory Charles

Aside from the fact that Huddersfield were my grandfather's team, I would absolutely love to see them in the Premier League.

It goes without saying that David Wagner is a fascinating manager, and it will be interesting to see how Huddersfield can adapt to the top-flight.

I fear that, like Boro, a lack of goals could be their undoing. First things first though, the bloody play-offs.

As a Boro fan, I can be forgiven for taking a breather from the Championship for a season, and it looks like it will just be one season.

However, I know that Brighton are an excellent team, who caused me no end of tension at the end of last season as we faced off for promotion.

A huge amount depends on the transfer window – if Ashley gives Benitez decent cash, I expect Newcastle to come out on top. My heart says Brighton, though, and I would like to see them do well.

Southampton – Alex Stewart

Alex is a freelance football writer and owner and editor of Put Niels In Goal.

This is a tough one. My heart says Wednesday, not least because all the Owls fans I know are lovely and one of them even has a Wednesday shirt-wearing gnome in her back garden, but also because they came so close last season.

My brain, however, is split between Huddersfield and Fulham: both have exciting managers, Huddersfield play a style of football that I really admire, while Fulham have been an attacking force this season and have the most enjoyable ground to visit as well.

I think Huddersfield would suffer though, when [Aaron] Mooy returns to City and the Chelsea loanees depart, unless they can sign them permanently or extend, and their style will also bring fatigue issues.

Fulham are probably better equipped than the other contenders, both in terms of experience and playing squad. Having said all that, it'll probably be Reading winning both play-off games on penalties.

Again, so tough. Newcastle have the spending power and Rafa Benitez, and a squad with some Premier League level players in it, while Brighton are helmed by the lovable Chris Hughton and have surprised many (including me) with their consistency and defensive solidity.

I think given that Sunderland are down and Boro could well follow, having Newcastle back to represent the north-east is important, and they will find the transition easier.

Having said that, Brighton could be the new Bournemouth: stylish, well coached, and built on a solid group of pros who clearly like playing there.

But, given the importance of football in the North East and with the experience of Rafa, I would expect Newcastle to finish higher. I wouldn't be surprised if both stayed up, either.

Stoke City – Tim Ward

Tim is a blogger on Stoke City.

I think Sheffield Wednesday would be great for the Premier League. They've got great history, a good classic stadium and have the potential to have an impact, and, from a personal point of view, I live a mile from Hillsborough!

If not Wednesday, either Huddersfield, as they've never been in the Premier League, or Fulham. Not Reading. I can't remember them ever doing anything of note in their previous Premier League campaigns.

If Brighton are backed with transfers I think they could spring a few surprises in the Premier League. If Newcastle keep Benitez, I'm sure they'll stay up but I think Brighton will be more fun.

Sunderland – David Preece

David is a former professional footballer for Sunderland, Darlington, Aberdeen, Silkeborg, Barnsley and other clubs, a goalkeeping coach, writer for The Times and Mundial Magazine, columnist for the Sunderland Echo and Head of Media for Black Type.

I've watched a Reading six times this season and they have never convinced me that they're are a side who could get promoted. When all around have been praising them for their style of play, I haven't seen it to be honest.

Jokanovic has done a great job at Fulham and if they don't go up but can keep hold of the likes of [Ryan] Sessegnon and Cairney, they could be contenders next season. Sheffield Wednesday have found some great form at the right time and I think they could be the ones to go up.

Huddersfield's manager, David Wagner, is their trump card. He has the squad massively over-performing in relation to his budget.

However, I'd like to see them fail purely on the off-chance that, as the forward thinking, 21st century football coach we need, Ellis Short could poach Wagner to manage Sunderland!

Newcastle will be a force next season. Again, I haven't been impressed by them, and the current squad would struggle, but with a rumoured £70m budget at hand, I'd always bet on Rafa Benitez to arm any side with the tools to make them difficult to beat and push for a top half finish.

I actually thought at the start of the season, with the right recruitment, Rafa would have them in Europe by the end of next season and I still wouldn't be surprised.

Swansea City – Declan Terry

However, I'd like to see them fail purely on the off-chance that, as the forward thinking, 21st century football coach we need, Ellis Short could poach Wagner to manage Sunderland!

Newcastle will be a force next season. Again, I haven't been impressed by them, and the current squad would struggle, but with a rumoured £70m budget at hand, I'd always bet on Rafa Benitez to arm any side with the tools to make them difficult to beat and push for a top half finish.

I actually thought at the start of the season, with the right recruitment, Rafa would have them in Europe by the end of next season and I still wouldn't be surprised.
Swansea City – Declan Terry

image: http://www.squawka.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GettyImages-625883382.jpg
SWANSEA, WALES - NOVEMBER 26: A general view of the stadium prior to the Premier League match between Swansea City and Crystal Palace at Liberty Stadium on November 26, 2016 in Swansea, Wales. (Photo by Christopher Lee/Getty Images)

I've been rooting for Leeds United all season long, simply because I'd love to see Swansea legend Garry Monk do well there. However, now they've narrowly missed out on the play-offs, I'd like to see Fulham back in the Premier League.

Fulham is a nice, friendly club with some good players and I'm a big fan of their manager, Slavisa Jokanovic. They've hit form at the right time and they definitely have what it takes to return to the top-flight after a four-year absence.

I'd probably fancy Newcastle to do a little better than Brighton at first glance because of the calibre of players they've got – you could argue that they've got a better squad now than some currently in the Premier League.

Add the fact that Rafa Benitez is at the helm and I think Newcastle could have a pretty impressive campaign.

On the other hand, Brighton also have a strong squad and manager, and with a little investment in the summer, the Seagulls will be on their way to bigger and better things as a club. But all in all, I fancy Newcastle to have the bigger impact.

Tottenham Hotspur – Nikhil Saglani

Nikhil is Press Officer for Wingate and Finchley FC.

I'm a big fan of what David Wagner has done at Huddersfield Town. They weren't a big Championship name before he took over but he's transformed them into a side that play good football and get the results too. Their fall from the top two will have been a concern going into the play-offs, however.

Regardless of this, I'd love to see Fulham back in the Premier League. Despite them being a fellow London club, there's no animosity there and it's a fantastic away day for the fans too!

They were poor when we played them in the FA Cup in January but that was their worst game in a long time – and Harry Kane was on fire! Fulham have former Spurs man Scott Parker in their ranks and I'm also an avid fan of Ryan Sessegnon, who I would love Spurs to sign this summer, so I'm going to say Fulham.

Despite Newcastle being Spurs' bogey team, I'm going to have to say them. Rafa Benitez has years of Premier League and Champions League experience, the club have spent years in the top flight and have the better players – on paper, anyway.

Their budget must be hefty in order to give Benitez a chance of keeping them in the league – and returning to their success of previous years – but a lot of their squad is also Premier League-ready. I like Chris Hughton, though. Every Tottenham fan does. We'd love to see him given the best chance to keep Brighton in the Premier League.

They've got to make smart signings if they want to stay up as their squad seems less fit for the Premier League than Newcastle – and if things don't get off to a great start, I'd hope to see Hughton rewarded with the patience he's more than earned.

Brighton seem like the type of club who are willing to offer him that time, so I wish Hughton all the best!

Watford – Mike Parkin

Co-presenter of the Watford FC podcast From the Rookery End.

I'm torn. As a Watford supporter I have a palpable weakness for Slavisa Jokanovic, the man who guided the Hornets to the top-flight in 2015 so I'd like to see him given the opportunity that he was denied at Vicarage Road – the chance to manage in the Premier League.

However, as a lifelong fan of an unfashionable club, I'd love to see Huddersfield go up. I like David Wagner and what he's achieved this season has been impressive, especially when considering some of the clubs that currently inhabit the Championship.

If they do go up, I suspect they will be unlikely to add to their three League titles, but it's a magnificent away-day and on that basis the Terriers get my vote. Sorry Slav.

While Brighton chairman Tony Bloom has made his fortune from gambling, nothing at the Amex Stadium has been left to chance.

Everything about the setup screams top flight football and I have no doubt work to attract the additional playing staff they will need to make a decent stab of their first season in the Premier League will be well underway.

Momentum is a massive thing and it's been building on the South Coast for some time – I think this will help give the Seagulls a good start and it will be they that make the bigger impact.

Despite making promotion look relatively easy, Newcastle United never quite seem able to de-tangle themselves from controversy. There have been question marks over the future of Rafa Benetiz, high profile visits from HMRC and the owner Mike Ashley remains a deeply divisive character.

Their Premier League experience will mean the Magpies go into the season with not only confidence, but also expectation and I wonder if this may be more of a hindrance than a help.

West Bromwich Albion – Greg Evans

Greg is a freelance writer on sport and film for Little White Lies and other publications and is also co-host of the Wrestling Pictures podcast.

I'm leaning more towards Huddersfield or Fulham. David Wagner's team often play with the confidence and guile of a top flight club, mercilessly cutting open defences and rarely looking flustered.

It would be fascinating to see Wagner face his old friend Jurgen Klopp but I fear what would happen to their loanees should they get promoted.

Aaron Mooy is by far their best player and Pep Guardiola could do a lot worse than give him a chance at the Etihad next season. Danny Ward, Izzy Brown and Kasey Palmer are also likely to return to their parent clubs, depleting the squad.

It's a similar situation at Fulham with loanees like Tomas Kalas, Chris Martin and Lucas Piazon all playing key parts in the club's promotion bid.

Yet Slaviša Jokanović has proved himself to be an intelligent manager, who previously got Watford promoted, and Fulham's more attractive geographical location would help them in terms of recruiting new players.

Plus it would be interesting to see how the burgeoning talent of Ryan Sessegnon would develop in the Premier League and who doesn't enjoy seeing the beautiful Craven Cottage on TV every week? For those reasons, I'm backing Fulham.

Both clubs have been far and away the two best teams in the Championship this season but have tended to slip up on numerous occasions (19 losses between them is an alarming figure).

I think Rafa Benitez will prove the difference between the two clubs. His pedigree as a manager speaks for itself and the Spaniard already has a Premier Leauge quality squad at his disposal, which is only likely to improve over the summer.

It could prove to be a difficult summer in terms of recruitment for Brighton but there is no doubting the spirit and commitment that the Seagulls possess and they will undoubtedly surprise a few of their opponents.

As long as both clubs are maintained in proper fashion then I feel that they will both do well in the Premier League but I feel that little bit of history and expertise will see Newcastle finish marginally higher.

West Ham – Charles Pulling

Definitely not Fulham. The last thing West Ham need is a rival contender for the title of being London's most underwhelming Premier League club. I'd like to see Sheffield Wednesday promoted – great city and a big club with lots of history.

I can see Newcastle being the most comfortable. Again, a huge club with good fan base and stadium, so if they avoid the mismanagement that got them relegated then I think mid-table or even a top half isn't that unrealistic.

Results
Which club do fans want to see join the Premier League?

Results: Huddersfield Town (10), Fulham (six), Sheffield Wednesday (four), Reading (zero)

Who will have a bigger seasons – Brighton or Newcastle?

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/we-asked-a-fan-from-every-premier-league-club-which-play-off-contender-they-want-promoted/943497#eHj6mpgx4l9g56T5.99

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic has a chance to conclude transfer business with Sebastian Bassong

The Cameroonian is available on a free transfer this summer and Fulham were interested a year ago.

Norwich City recently announced the players they will not be keeping on board this summer, with some very big names on the list including John Ruddy and Kyle Lafferty. Another name present was Cameroonian international defender Sebastian Bassong.

The 30-year-old, who joined Norwich in 2012, is available on a free transfer this summer and that will surely spark the interest of Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

The Serbian worked with Bassong during his time in charge at Watford, where the Cameroonian excelled at Vicarage Road.

But the 30-year-old, who was relegated for the sixth time in his career last season, has struggled to get into the Norwich team this season, playing just 13 times for the Canaries.

Last summer it was reported by the Daily Mail that Fulham wanted to sign the player on a reduced salary to his current wage at Carrow Road, but also want him to be released so they can sign the player on a free transfer.

Now they have their chance to do just that, whether they are in the Championship or do make it to the Premier League via the play-offs.

Jokanovic knows what to expect from Bassong and it might be a good move for the experienced defender at this stage of his career.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/06/slavisa-jokanovic-has-a-chance-to-conclude-transfer-business-wit/

WhiteJC

Fulham's last Premier League XI: Where are they now?

We catch up with the last Fulham XI to play Premier League football.

As the Championship play-offs approach, Fulham have an opportunity to end their three-year absence from the Premier League. So let's catch up with the Cottagers' last starting-eleven to play top-flight football as Felix Magath's men drew 2-2 at home to Crystal Palace in 2014.

Goalkeeper David Stockdale looks set to be playing Premier League football next season after winning promotion with Brighton and Hove Albion. The 31-year-old, who kept an impressive 20 league clean sheets this campaign, is being linked with moves to Chelsea and Leeds United, as his Seagulls contract expires in the summer.

Steve Sidwell is part of the same promotion-winning Brighton side. The former Reading and Chelsea man scored the Championship Goal of the Season with his half-way line effort against Bristol City. Like Stockdale, his Seagulls deal runs out at the end of the season.

Defenders Elsad Zverotic and Fernando Amorebieta are both playing their football abroad.

Zverotic joined Swiss outfit FC Sion in February of 2015. The Montenegro international has since notched up over 80 appearances for the 3rd place Super League side. He will likely line up in the Swiss Cup final against FC Basel at the end of May – the winner of which receives a spot in the group stages of the Europa League.

Amorebieta is in danger of suffering relegation from La Liga as part of Sporting de Gijon's struggling squad. The Venezuelan centre-back has only been on the winning side on four occasions since his arrival at the El Molinon stadium in the summer.

Meanwhile, the rest of this Fulham back-four have hung up their playing boots.

John Heitinga returned to boyhood club Ajax for the final season of his illustrious career. The Dutchman is now looking to transition into coaching. Brede Hangeland retired last year following a two-year stint at Crystal Palace.

Alexandre Kacaniklic and Hugo Rodallega are also plying their trade outside of English football.

Kacaniklic, 25, ended his six-year stay at Craven Cottage by joining Ligue 1 club Nantes. He has largely been restricted to substitute appearances for the top-half team but did contribute assists in the recent games against Montpellier and Saint-Etienne.

Rodallega has scored eight goals this season for Turkish top tier side Trabzonspor. The Colombian striker bagged a brace in their 3-0 away victory over Antalyaspor last month. Rodallega captained his team for much of November and December in the absence of Ugur Demirok.

Keiran Richardson is still on the lookout for a new club following his release from Cardiff City in January. He was recently handed a trial at Granada by manager Tony Adams.

Scott Parker and Cauley Woodrow are the only players from this XI to remain at Fulham.

Now 23 years old, Woodrow has spent the second half of the campaign on-loan with Nigel Clough's Burton Albion. In that time, the striker has netted four goals in 18 appearances for the Brewers.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/05/fulhams-last-premier-league-xi-where-are-they-now/

WhiteJC

Is This A Playoff Preview?

So, here we are then on the cusp of the final game of the 'normal' season in the Championship, we've gone through quite a ride SO FAR this campaign already.... It's certainly left us wondering what comes next. We've got over the line in relatively spectacular style in terms of results, six on the bounce is possibly something, which very few would have predicted back in early March, but we're far from complaining of course!

So, a sell out crowd is expected at Hillsborough tomorrow, unless some negative Nigel's have decided to give it a miss as it amounts to a dead rubber to them... Even though a win COULD see us finish third in the table which I certainly want us to.

Fulham, our visitors to Hillsborough could be back in a week's time in the playoffs if results mean they finished 6th and we go 3rd so it could be the first of three games against them in a week or so!!! They've ended their season pipping Leeds to the final playoff spot (barring the most unlikely twist in Championship history), and their manager is apparently still gunning for us.

[size=12]Owls News....[/size]

There could be a raft of changes to the Wednesday side this weekend, we saw what Carlos Carvalhal did at Wolves in the last game of the season in 2016... Will Joe Wildsmith play? Will we see Jordan Rhodes and Sam Winnall up front again? And will Sam Hutchinson get back into the team? Jose Semedo are we saying goodbye or not? Marco Matias... Remember him? There are plenty of options to play a VERY strong team which isn't the regular eleven, the first world problems we have which others would love to have.

Owls Comment....

On the chance of changing things around a bit, it seems the Wednesday head coach may well do that based on his comments to the press on Friday.

"We expect Sam Hutchinson to recover, all the players are involved, and this makes us stronger. A lot of players didn't play part of the season, so our team is very fresh and healthy.

"The play-offs start at zero - so it doesn't matter what we did - but it's important the we finish the season, strong, healthy and winning. All the players are ready.

"I don't know if Sam will play. He is training. With the injury he has, we never know if it will be a problem the next day. So far, he trained Thursday and the reaction is good. He will train today (Friday), and if again the reaction is okay, he will play Sunday. He is an important player for us."

"David Jones is ok. He was sick but has started training this week, so could be involved. Ross Wallace is ok, but we will protect him - and other players - on Sunday, and give a chance to other players."

Fulham News....

Like Wednesday, Fulham may ring the changes for the game with their playoff berth all but sorted. Chris Martin is available after serving a three game ban, it's thought that defender Ragnar Sigurdsson could come back into the side for the Cottagers but will Slavisa Jokanovic save him for the playoffs?

Other than that the visitors have a full complement of players to choose from as the form sides in the playoff spots go head to head.

Fulham Comment....

Fulham's on loan striker Chris Martin is looking to end his temporary spell with the Cottagers on a high as he looks to finish off his time in London with a playoff win.

'My loan spell runs out on May 31 officially, so I'll be eligible for all the play-offs,' he told Fulham's club website.

'I'm looking forward to it, I've had a taste of it before and it's not always been the most successful time for me so hopefully I can put that right this time around.

'I've not been fortunate enough to be promoted via the play-offs but everybody tells me it's the best way to go up.
'I've had a bit of disappointment over the last three or four years during it, so it will be extremely sweet if I do manage to taste success with this set of lads because I think we deserve it. We've played some of the best football I've seen for a long time in this division, so hopefully that can be rewarded with promotion."

Some Stats V Fulham....

Sunday sees the 73rd game between the Wednesday and Fulham and the away side will be hoping to claw back a little of a winning gap on the Owls, 31-25 wins is the lead the home side have ahead of kick off with 16 draws.

There's been quite some time since Fulham won a LEAGUE game on our patch... 1973... (I wasn't born it's that long ago!) And it was the only clean sheet the Cottagers have ever recorded at Hillsborough. So... Of course that means there's never been a goalless game between the sides in Sheffield!!

Last time out (in the league) V Fulham at S6 1SW....

Wednesday played Fulham three times last season, and the Owls won all of them. The league game between them was the first of them and it was quite the game.... Here are the highlights.

Final Thoughts....

I want us to win, none of this oh it doesn't matter malarkey. We've won six on the spin, how good would it be to go into the playoffs STILL winning?
Only recently have a few of the national media started to pick up on us, I don't want us to be the darlings of the media. I want us to win.

Fulham have been quite the swashbuckling side this season at times, but also, they could concede a few. We've been quite solid again and but could do with some of our 'second string' if you want to call them that, turning on the style in front of a big crowd... So... Let's have it.

Prediction...

Wednesday 3 Fulham 1

https://owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1772

WhiteJC

Fulham Exclusive: Floyd Ayite determined to win promotion to Premier League
FLOYD AYITE is a man on a mission to help Fulham make it back to the Premier League - so his dad can watch him on TV.

Floyd Ayite determined to win promotion with Fulham so his dad can watch them on TV

His father, Maximilian, hasn't seen Ayite play since he moved from the French club Bastia to Craven Cottage last year because English Championship football isn't shown on telly back in Togo.

And the 3,000 mile plus journey to London isn't an option for father Ayite either.

But if Fulham go on to win promotion after today's sell-out play off against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough all that is set to change and Mr Ayite Snr should be able to see his son in action virtually every week.

That's one of the major reasons the Bordeaux-born winger who has scored nine goals this season is so desperate for the Cottagers to win a place back in the top flight they were relegated from three years ago.

"Everybody in Africa watches the Premier League on television, so hopefully I will soon be able to play in it and my family can watch me," he says.

"They could do that when I played in Ligue 1 in France, but now they have to come to England to watch me. My father prefers to stay at home, though, so if we get promoted that would be a good thing for everyone."

Because of that Ayite is thinking only of winning promotion.

He says: "That is all I focus on, but we need to win every game now to get promoted to the Premier League - and we are confident we can do that."

In the meantime Ayite's dad isn't the only one keeping an eye on him. Togo's only other major football export, Ade Adebayor, now playing in Turkey, has also been an influence.

"Adebayor was fantastic in England and we talked a lot about it when we were playing in the Africa Cup of Nations. He told me it was beautiful to live here," he added.

"But now My job is to play well for Fulham and  win every game from now on."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/801219/Fulham-Exclusive-Floyd-Ayite-promotion-Sheffield-Wednesday-Championship-News-Gossip

WhiteJC

Fulham's Floyd Ayite reveals family is the driving force behind his charge to Premier League football

The 28-year-old's family are unable to watch as many of his games and he hopes that promotion to the Premier League will allow them to see more in Togo

Floyd Ayite has revealed the opportunity for his family to watch him every week in Africa is spurring him on in Fulham's quest for Premier League football.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side face Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon at Hillsborough in the final game of the season before they embark on the play-offs, with a freak 13 goal swing the only thing that can deny them a place.

Championship football isn't something that you can usually find on TV in Togo, where his family currently call home, with Premier League matches dominating the schedules across the country and the continent of Africa, with people wanting to see Manchester United and Liverpool more than Fulham.

That means Ayite's family can only see him play when they come over the England, something his mother Therese has done three times, while his father Maximillian has not yet had the pleasure of watching his son cause nightmares for fullbacks down the Craven Cottage wings.

If Ayite and Fulham reach Wembley and a play-off final, the 28-year-old will be paying for his mother, father and the rest of his family to come over and watch so he can share the experience, but he is hoping promotion will mean they can watch him every week from the comfort of their home in Togo.

He said: "You can't watch the game in the Championship but every person in Africa watches the Premier League so if one day I play in the Premier League they can watch the game.

International duty: Floyd Ayite with Togo (Photo: ISSOUF SANOGO/AFP/Getty Images)

"My family in Africa watched me when I played in France because I was in the first league in France and they can watch the game over there but at the moment in Championship they cannot watch the game.

"My family have to come to England to watch the game at Fulham but if we get promoted that would be a good thing for them.

"They have come maybe three times, but just my mother, not my father.

"My father prefers to stay there but my mother likes England and for her it is good to come to England

"All my family I think will be there (at Wembley), it's expensive but that is a good moment to share and experience with my family.

"It will be a first visit for my father, he will come and my mother and little brother, all of my family will be there.

"It's a lot of money but I can do this for my family."

Togo's most famous football son is ex-Arsenal man Emmanuel Adebayor, with the people of the African country idolising him for his exploits with club and country in years gone by.

Ayite also looks up to the striker and has said that he speaks regularly with Adebayor about England , with the ex-Arsenal man telling the Fulham forward that the country is a good place for his family to live.

He added: "Every time we played in Africa we talked about England and London because he lived in London and said it's beautiful to live here, that it's good also for your family to live here and speak English, that is a good experience.

"If we get to Wembley I will talk with him to get a feeling for the place."

Fulham will find out today who they face in those play-offs games, with the first match taking place on Saturday May 13, while the second leg will be on Tuesday May 16.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-floyd-ayite-reveals-family-12997122

WhiteJC

Matchday Info

Have a read of all the key matchday details ahead of Fulham's trip to Hillsborough where we'll take on Sheffield Wednesday.

Possible opposition absentees

In his pre-match press conference, Sheffield Wednesday manager Carlos Carvalhal hinted that he will rest a number of his first team players, namely Ross Wallace.

Tickets

Tickets for this match have sold out.

Pre-match

Wednesday have advised us that no pubs will be open to Fulham fans pre-match, but the ground will be opening early to accomodate the travelling supporters.
Weather

It will be a overcast but dry day in Sheffield, with temperatures of around 11 degrees at kick-off.

Coral match odds

Sheff Weds: 5/4

Draw: 5/2

Fulham: 2/1

Form

Sheff Weds: WWWWW

Fulham: WWWWD

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/06/matchday-info-sheffield-wednesday

WhiteJC

Burton Albion team news: Miller and Woodrow in for Brewers' final game of season

Burton Albion have made two changes ahead of today's season finale against Reading at the Pirelli Stadium, with Tom Flanagan and Lasse Vigen Christensen dropping to the bench, making way for Cauley Woodrow and Will Miller.

Miller starts up front for the Brewers and the Tottenham Hotspur loanee is rewarded for his patience after playing a bit-part role in securing Burton's Championship survival.

Stephen Bywater keeps his place in goal after deputising for the injured Jon McLaughlin, with a back-three in front of him made up of John Brayford, Kyle McFadzean and Ben Turner.

Burton boss Nigel Clough has made two changes for today's match against Reading

Marvin Sordell and Michael Kightly occupy the wings, with captain John Mousinho, Luke Murphy and player of the year Jackson Irvine in midfield.

Miller is expected to line up next to fellow loanee Cauley Woodrow in a two-pronged attack, with both forwards given a chance to impress their respective parent clubs after Burton's Championship status was confirmed last weekend.

The substitute's bench is made up of Harry Campbell, Flanagan, Lucas Akins, Lloyd Dyer, Tom Naylor, Luke Varney and Joe Sbarra. Sbarra was named scholar of the year in midweek and could be in line for his first-team debut this afternoon.

Read more at http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/breaking-burton-albion-team-news-revealed-for-today-s-match-against-reading/story-30317478-detail/story.html#b2jbojOHOlK9cL6b.99

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday vs Fulham: Team news as Slavisa Jokanovic makes four changes

It's changes galore at Hillsborugh as both Slavisa Jokanovic and Carlos Carvalhal ring the changes for the final regular game of the season

Fulham have made four changes for today's tie with Sheffield Wednesday, while the hosts have made TEN themselves at Hillsborough.

Both sides are pretty much assured of their play-off places thanks to last weeks' results, with only a 13-goal swing seeing Leeds in ahead of Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

Lucas Piazon comes into the starting XI, as does Chris Martin, Neeskens Kebano and Denis Odoi, with Ryan Fredericks, Ryan Sessegnon, Floyd Ayite and Stefan Johansen dropping to the bench.

Wednesday, meanwhile, have made ten changes to their side with their play-off place secured, although a win today could see them finish the season in third place.

Fulham: Bettinelli, Odoi, Kalas, Ream, Malone, McDonald, Cairney, Aluko, Piazon, Kebano and Martin

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith, Palmer, Sasso, Semedo, Fox, Lee, Jones, Hutchinson, Matias, Rhodes and Winnable

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-vs-fulham-team-12997928