https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Paper Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 07, 2017, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Whitesideup on May 07, 2017, 11:03:40 PM
Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on May 07, 2017, 01:41:38 PM
Out of interest. Does anyone know what Bournemouth spent in their promotion build up and their first season in the Premiership?

It was difficult to put a precise value on the Bournemouth team that won the Championship so impressively, but the best guess was £6.8million. Additions were made, but quite a lot of the players were the same .. and some had played for Bournemouth in League 2, Pugh I think being an example. They have spent money since £8 million for Mings, £10 million for Afobe, and more for Ibe, ($15 million I think)  .. who hasn't been a great success. But players like Artur and King were not expensive. Wilson cost them £3 million from Coventry. Thing is they have a top manager ... so do we! COYW!!

Thanks for that. If promoted I'd like to see the club continueing to work towards sustainability. As mentioned elsewhere Roy moulded the team he inherited with a few additions. We maintained a reasonable position in the Prem and reached a European final along the way. In Slav we have a manager who is equally as savvy.   

Snibbo

Quote from: westcliff white on May 08, 2017, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on May 08, 2017, 09:16:16 AM
Quote from: jarv on May 07, 2017, 11:23:27 PM
Didn't Roy build a fine team with a lot of other clubs rejects, benchwarmers. Zamora, Murphy, Davies, Konchesky to name a few. Can't think of others but it can be done at a reasonable (by today's standards) price.
and quite a few of those were bought by Sorry Lawrie. He had an eye for a bargain, did Lawrie
Zamora and Konch were def Roy singings

Konch was a sanchez signing, also murphy and hughes . Steven Davis, though he didn't work out at fulham was also a sanchez, as was Dio  kamara.  Not a bad bunch (though there were one or two shockers as well)

westcliff white

Quote from: Snibbo on May 08, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
Didn't Roy build a fine team with a lot of other clubs rejects, benchwarmers. Zamora, Murphy, Davies, Konchesky to name a few. Can't think of others but it can be done at a reasonable (by today's standards) price.
and quite a few of those were bought by Sorry Lawrie. He had an eye for a bargain, did Lawrie

Konch was a sanchez signing, also murphy and hughes . Steven Davis, though he didn't work out at fulham was also a sanchez, as was Dio  kamara.  Not a bad bunch (though there were one or two shockers as well)
Never knew Konch was i am surprised, the others i didnt dispute. Davis i was gutted about a decent player, Kamara never really justified the fee and Healy was awful for us, not his fault we went long and it wasnt his game unless he had a target man nect to him and we didnt have one of those.
Every day is a Fulham day

Snibbo

Quote from: westcliff white on May 08, 2017, 02:50:07 PM

Never knew Konch was i am surprised, the others i didnt dispute. Davis i was gutted about a decent player, Kamara never really justified the fee and Healy was awful for us, not his fault we went long and it wasnt his game unless he had a target man nect to him and we didnt have one of those.

Interesting article here:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2008/07/30/sanchez-v-hodgson-comparing-fulham-transfer-signings/

Yes,  Dio was a funny one. Certainly paid to much for him,  but with a few goals,  he became a hero.

Steven Davis has proved his class since he left us.  Problem was that under sanchez we kept booting the ball over his head

westcliff white

Quote from: Snibbo on May 08, 2017, 02:56:43 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on May 08, 2017, 02:50:07 PM

Interesting article here:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2008/07/30/sanchez-v-hodgson-comparing-fulham-transfer-signings/

Yes,  Dio was a funny one. Certainly paid to much for him,  but with a few goals,  he became a hero.

Steven Davis has proved his class since he left us.  Problem was that under sanchez we kept booting the ball over his head
yep and thats what did for healy as we didnt have the target man
Every day is a Fulham day

TC's Sporran

instead of going all out to stay up and flopping big time if we get relegated why not do what a lot of clubs such as burnley hull Watford and Newcastle seem to have done at some stage

strengthen the squad with a view to winning the title in the championship the next season

enjoy the sights whilst in the prem but don't get suicidal - sacking the manager etc when the inevitable relegation occurs

then win the title and strengthen again and after one or two yoyos become established

AlexW132

Quote from: TC's Sporran on May 08, 2017, 07:04:54 PM
instead of going all out to stay up and flopping big time if we get relegated why not do what a lot of clubs such as burnley hull Watford and Newcastle seem to have done at some stage

strengthen the squad with a view to winning the title in the championship the next season

enjoy the sights whilst in the prem but don't get suicidal - sacking the manager etc when the inevitable relegation occurs

then win the title and strengthen again and after one or two yoyos become established
Very risky tactic that.

gerrys

Quote from: Statto on May 08, 2017, 04:21:13 PM
The ease with which Spurs destroyed us showed a very good Championship team can be a bloody dire premiership team.
Yes but they are second in the table, we have proven that we can beat the Hulls and presumably others around them. After all we wouldn't be aiming to win the Premiership in the first year.

fulhamben

Quote from: gerrys on May 08, 2017, 07:51:31 PM
The ease with which Spurs destroyed us showed a very good Championship team can be a bloody dire premiership team.
Yes but they are second in the table, we have proven that we can beat the Hulls and presumably others around them. After all we wouldn't be aiming to win the Premiership in the first year.
spurs have battered pretty much everyone at some point this season. they are a very good team on their day. i dont fear the rest of the prem because of what spurs did to us in one cup game.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

081.gif
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 07, 2017, 11:23:28 AM
Fulham set to hand Slava 30million transfer fund if we go up(is that all..lol)
And Ryan Sessegnon has been tempted to sign up with top agent Will Salthouse's company which will send a chill through the cottage...lol
Wind must be coming off the Thames then.

May i reassure you Mince that I think you will find Ryan isn't going anywhere for the forceable future, he wishes to stay at his beloved Fulham FC, and his parents also want him to stay. ⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

davew

But then why not spend in the first place, not sure why you mention Newcastle though??
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Tonywa

No real comparison in transfer fees between now and when the majority of Sir Roy's team were recruited.  Looking at more statistics I note that Burnley spent just under £28,0000,000 last close season and that was on the top of splashing out approx £10,000,000 on Andre Gray the year before.  Anyway I stick to my guns and am worried about a transfer kitty of £30,000,000 being enough, particularly as the current side includes some loan players who will need to be signed or replaced.  Hopefully Jozabed would find the Prem more to his liking and would be able to return to the Cottage and play a significant part.

Whitesideup

The ease with which Spurs destroyed us showed a very good Championship team can be a bloody dire premiership team. I don't expect us to compete with the likes of Spurs at the top of the table but we can't have those teams beating us week in, week out without breaking sweat or we'll be relegated.

Major squad reconstruction needed if we go up IMO.

As to the amount, £30m sounds modest considering we spent £20m this year just to scrape into the championship play-offs. But I cannot see how it would serve either Joka or the club to have discussed hypothetical budgets at this stage so I'm sure this news story is utter rubbish, entirely made up.
I think you will find Spurs on their day have taken apart Premiership teams as well -  so I would not place too much significance on our game. They dismantled West Brom, Watford, and Bournemouth by four goals or more.  I think Bournemouth and Watford both beaten twice quite heavily.  Look at their positions in the premiership ... not too bad.   

So are they all "bloody dire" as well? Can't we just accept that Spurs on their day are a very good team?

None of these teams mentioned above are under threat of relegation. Teams being promoted have to compete effectively against teams outside the top 7 and grab occasional points in the really tough games. Those points are just a bonus.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 08, 2017, 08:48:49 PM
081.gif
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 07, 2017, 11:23:28 AM
Fulham set to hand Slava 30million transfer fund if we go up(is that all..lol)
And Ryan Sessegnon has been tempted to sign up with top agent Will Salthouse's company which will send a chill through the cottage...lol
Wind must be coming off the Thames then.

May i reassure you Mince that I think you will find Ryan isn't going anywhere for the forceable future, he wishes to stay at his beloved Fulham FC, and his parents also want him to stay. ⚽️

I know...Coyw

nose

Quote from: @jolslover on May 07, 2017, 08:39:32 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on May 07, 2017, 05:36:11 PM
Which Sunday paper is this? If its name is on a red background I'm not interested.

Why mate? Do you remember when the sun broke the news Chris Martin was striking and everyone here said its the sun ignore it.

i thought martin was on strike from the moment he got here.... :-)))
he has hardly set the word alight in a team theat creats so many chances a decent CF would have scored 40

Max Headroom

Losing 3-0 to spurs isn't so bad considering we weren't used to playing sides that good. A few games against better opposition makes you step up a bit yourself. True of any sport.

We have to get there first.... a few coins to toss in the air first and hope they land the right way

Woolly Mammoth

Funnily enough we have accrued 30 points out of a possible 45 pts, since the visit of Spurs. Which consists of 9 wins 3 draws and only 3 defeats. Which is a decent and consistent run in anyone's language.
Scoring 33 goals ⚽️ In the process.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: davew on May 08, 2017, 09:01:34 PM

But then why not spend in the first place, not sure why you mention Newcastle though??

newcastle were admittedly a bad example, west brom and Bolton once were a good yoyo side
the money you have to spend to compete in the prem is far far more than that needed to win the championship, I'm not only talking transfer fees but wages as well
plus if you fail you lose half the team and are having to pay off a manager you've sacked plus the replacement

with the parachute money it becomes almost unfair the next season in the championship

unless you don't spend wisely or use it to pay off the debts

only 5% of income is gate receipts so it doesn't even matter if you cant fill the ground

plus the bonus of not throwing money at it in the summer is that you might get lucky and do ok so in the jan window re-access

plus winning silverware every other season has to be better than a constant battle against relegation winning only a handful of games a season

Keynsham

If we do get there, then this squad is nowhere near good enough to stay up, such is the gulf between Championship and Premier League.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Keynsham on May 09, 2017, 05:07:21 PM
If we do get there, then this squad is nowhere near good enough to stay up, such is the gulf between Championship and Premier League.
Wow hope the lads aren't reading this - real good way of confidence boost before the playoffs!

I personally think that in Slavisa we have the right leadership/coaching to be reasonably successful in the premier without overspending.