watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

just returned from wednesday

Started by nose, May 07, 2017, 10:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

delayed  leaving by a top class sunday lunch in the peak district!!!
Just got back
regarding team selection and the game today... I think slava got it mainly right. fielding a few changes but mainly a strong team and withdrawing two players that looked like they needed to be wrapped up.
What I struggle with is martin. he has skill but is so short of pace and looks a fish out of water in our team, he is a mistake and I do hope our season does not turn on his foolish oinclusion in the next two games.

we have seen that after his sending off and suspension we have been a much better team.  i do think cyriac should have been afforded and an opportunity today.... but slava is a top man and I trust he will do the right thing.

I am glad we played to win, I do not really agree with resting so many players for a variety of reasons.

AlexW132

Quote from: nose on May 07, 2017, 10:37:15 PM
Just got back
regarding team selection and the game today... I think slava got it mainly right. fielding a few changes but mainly a strong team and withdrawing two players that looked like they needed to be wrapped up.
What I struggle with is martin. he has skill but is so short of pace and looks a fish out of water in our team, he is a mistake and I do hope our season does not turn on his foolish oinclusion in the next two games.

we have seen that after his sending off and suspension we have been a much better team.  i do think cyriac should have been afforded and an opportunity today.... but slava is a top man and I trust he will do the right thing.

I am glad we played to win, I do not really agree with resting so many players for a variety of reasons.
Weirdly, I thought Martin, in the first half at least, was actually putting himself about a lot and was actually making runs, yes runs, into the box quite often. Never seen him move so fast.

DevonFFC

Agree with you.

He looked 2 yards off the pace today, he looked fat and sluggish and not really at all bothered.

He was afraid to shoot on two occasions and I think that is down to the fans on his back so he's dammed if he dont and dammed if he does.

Today would have been a good opportunity for cyriac to come on and run at the 10 men.
We won and we go into the play offs full of confidence and on a high.

Roll on next sat, also a big pat on the back to all the travelled it was a great day and great support.

tslyon

Quote from: AlexW132 on May 07, 2017, 10:41:03 PM
Just got back

Weirdly, I thought Martin, in the first half at least, was actually putting himself about a lot and was actually making runs, yes runs, into the box quite often. Never seen him move so fast.

Think he was trying out for a Premier League Fulham side?  Realizing how wrong he got it???

Cheers,

Steve

nose

Just got back

i would agree with what you say. but in the totality of what he did, it wasn't sufficient and we are better without him.

davew

Sorry to put a dampener on here, but it's a forum and all opinions count!!! Martin cannot be trusted so please don't blame the fans for the way he performs or under performs! As for Cyriac, we trust in SJ, I read that so many times on here, so if true the manager clearly doesn't rate him and how many of us do? We have enough quality to gain promotion without either of them, whether we have enough depth and quality in defence, we will know soon!! The lads have done well, very well, beyond most of our expectations, we have 16/17 players who will give 100% to get us promotion! Bring on Reading!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

H4usuallysitting

I'm hoping Cyriac could be our unknown quantity...we already know he can head & hold the ball up - can he take a penalty

AlexW132

Quote from: nose on May 07, 2017, 10:50:35 PM
Just got back

i would agree with what you say. but in the totality of what he did, it wasn't sufficient and we are better without him.
True I thought for the most part he played rubbish.

westcliff white

Didnt have his best game, but been out for 3 games (although not a great reason) and of the pace a little.

I dont htink he is useless and I think he gives us something we odnt have when he is on form, he has had some good games for us this season, without his goals I am not sure we would be in the playoffs.

As for cyriac, he can head, and her can take a decent penalty (I watched him when I lived in Belgium for 3 years) as for holding the ball up I will disgaree it isnt his forte, he can do it but its not great. He much prefers the ball in behind to run on to, quick attacks to catch defenders out.
Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

Who can resist some more Martin bashing?  Well, I will, since he was returning from three game out and was lacking match sharpness in a game against a Wednesday side that was well organised and had the referee playing in midfield for them early on.  I believe SJ went for continuity and momentum but with enough regard to resting Johansen who must consume more energy than almost anyone else on a game by game basis.  I think we may see just a few differences in the approach to the games against Reading and I am expecting some subtlety on Saturday.

westcliff white

Martin may well play against Reading, He bagged 2 against them at home in the league

Carborundum

Hats off to you Nose.  Combining a midday kick-off in Sheffield with a Sunday lunch in the Peak District is an inspired itinerary.  Beautiful part of the world that.

Martin provides something that we don't have.  Some defences go to pieces against him, others manage him comfortably.  Given three games out it made sense to give him a run.  In contrast I find it hard to see what Cyriac brings that Ayite and Kebano don't.  It's not so much that I don't rate him, more about offering variety.

As things stand I'm not really sure whether Martins going to play on Saturday.  Presumably Reading don't either and that's all to the good.

filham

Our concern is in defence if either Kalas or Ream are not available in any remaining game.
Why were neither Madle or Siggurdsson available yesterday.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Not being sharp enough because he was out 3 games is a new one. As Paul Merson said on SS the other day, 'this is the end of the season, players should look and be playing at their absolute prime. They will not get any fitter than they are now'.
IMO a couple of weeks off at this end of the season should have made him fresher and hungrier . The only thing he looked hungrier for on Saturday, was another kebab.

AlexW132

Quote from: filham on May 08, 2017, 10:29:12 AM
Our concern is in defence if either Kalas or Ream are not available in any remaining game.
Why were neither Madle or Siggurdsson available yesterday.
Sigurdsson is injured.

westcliff white

Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on May 08, 2017, 11:17:08 AM
Not being sharp enough because he was out 3 games is a new one. As Paul Merson said on SS the other day, 'this is the end of the season, players should look and be playing at their absolute prime. They will not get any fitter than they are now'.
IMO a couple of weeks off at this end of the season should have made him fresher and hungrier . The only thing he looked hungrier for on Saturday, was another kebab.
I agree it is a lame excuse but players and coaches will use that all the time.

I did say its not a great reason. Personally didnt think he was too bad first half, second half he didnt do much at all

grandad

Just seen the highlights. Great assist by the ref for their goal. Every week GJ asks why the refs are so close to the ball. There is no need for them to be so close thereby shutting off possible passes.
Where there's a will there's a wife

davew

Been watching the 90 minute replay video this afternoon to once again assess the CM contribution, given up after 25 minutes so now watching the Invisible Man, sure I spotted him in that?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on May 08, 2017, 05:40:07 PM
Been watching the 90 minute replay video this afternoon to once again assess the CM contribution, given up after 25 minutes so now watching the Invisible Man, sure I spotted him in that?

He was completely enveloped in bandages.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 08, 2017, 10:57:54 PM
Quote from: davew on May 08, 2017, 05:40:07 PM

He was completely enveloped in bandages.
Not toilet paper??