watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The stats on Mr. Martin

Started by Fulhamerica23, May 08, 2017, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulhamerica23

People love to have a go at Chris over what's transpired over the season, but the stats don't lie. He needs to start in the playoffs. In the last 17 games he's featured, we've lost twice.

Lighthouse

Problem is that when he was suspended we played very well and won. He hasn't played well when he has played recently and so an argument could be made to keep him on the bench.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

nose

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on May 08, 2017, 06:12:00 PM
People love to have a go at Chris over what's transpired over the season, but the stats don't lie. He needs to start in the playoffs. In the last 17 games he's featured, we've lost twice.

that is what as known as inappropriate use of statistical analysis.
it is the worst kind of misuse.
we did well despite him not because of him. in only two matches i have seen him play have i felt he made a remotely positive contribution and that along with the majority of others that have seen him.

fulhamben

the stats dont lie, one goal in 2017. now compare that to everyone else,and i think it ends up with only betts button and kalas as having worse stats
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

love4ffc

As people like to say, in Joka we must trust.  He has brought us this far so if he plays Martin great.  Hope Martin has the game of a lifetime.  If Joka does not play Martin then so be it.  Hopefully either way we get the win with a fair amount of goals for leg two. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Southcoastffc

Fulhamerica and Fulhamben - I think you illustrate how numbers can be presented to reinforce preconceived ideas. Here are some more numbers for you to consider

Chris Martin    32 appearances   11 goals   2.91 games to goals ratio
Stefan Johansen   40 apps   13 goals   3.08 games to goals ratio
Floyd Ayité   32 apps   9 goals   3.56 games to goals ratio
Tom Cairney   49 apps   12 goals   4.08 games to goals ratio
Ryan Sessegnon   29 apps   7 goals   4.14 games to goals ratio
Neeskens Kebano   30 apps    6 goals   5.00 games to goals ratio
Lucas Piazon    32 apps   6 goals   5.33 games to goals ratio
Sone Aluko   48 apps   9 goals    5.33 games to goals ratio
Scott Malone   40 apps   6 goals   6.67 games to goals ratio

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

fulhamben

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 08, 2017, 07:32:02 PM
Fulhamerica and Fulhamben - I think you illustrate how numbers can be presented to reinforce preconceived ideas. Here are some more numbers for you to consider

just goes to show how good he was last year before he went on strike. i wonder why he cant score in a brothel now.

fulhamben

although to be fair, he had a shocking second half of the season for derby last year too. so the strike might not be playing a part of it at all. might just be one of those who goes on holiday at xmas, and doesnt return till the end of summer

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 08, 2017, 07:32:02 PM

Chris Martin    32 appearances   24 sulks,  2 strikes, 1 red card, 28 kebabs .. 1% commitment to the cause ratio
Stefan Johansen   40 apps   13 goals   Incredible engine, donates his shirt every week at away games.. 100% cttcrc
Floyd Ayité   32 apps   9 goals   injured comes back stronger never say die attitude ....100% cttcrc
Tom Cairney   49 apps   12 goals   See his goal and celebration against Leeds ? ....100% cttcrc
Ryan Sessegnon   29 apps   7 goals   Been here forvever, 16 and loved by all....100% cttcrc
Neeskens Kebano   30 apps    6 goals   Brilliant from the bench, never moans, takes his chance ... 100% cttcr
Lucas Piazon    32 apps   6 goals   wants to stay, works his nuts off... 100% cttcr
Sone Aluko   48 apps   9 goals    runs himself into the ground, never gives up... 100% cttcr
Scott Malone   40 apps   6 goals   left back revelation, crucial last minutes goals... 100% cttcr

Southcoastffc

Don't let facts get in the way of prejudice!
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on May 08, 2017, 08:30:27 PM
Stats... facts... reason... pragmatism... none of these things have any place in a discussion about Martin.

He's alleged to have refused to play in a game 4 months ago. Ipso facto he should be left out of the squad, whatever the cost of that
the cost of that was winning lots of games and scoring bucket loads of goals

davew

Quote from: fulhamben on May 08, 2017, 07:45:02 PM
although to be fair, he had a shocking second half of the season for derby last year too. so the strike might not be playing a part of it at all. might just be one of those who goes on holiday at xmas, and doesnt return till the end of summer
Nothing with that Ben except we don't need people like him to play sorry I meant turn out in a Fulham shirt!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 08, 2017, 08:42:01 PM
" There are none so blind, as those who cannot see "
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

nose

the facts are as stated but what you make of numers makes you a proper statistician. some of us are trained and understand numbers and how they work.

here is a fact and a stat for you, ignoring cyriac our most potent goalscorer this season is woodrow.... 7 goals and 185 mins per goal......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/top-scorers
he did well for burton and looked really good against burton, creating at least one goal, one goalscoring oportunity that went close and heading one in himself..... IMO he remains a very good player that has never been given a chance AND the stats prove it.
but as you say some peoples prejudice gets in the way of facts (I actually do not recall your opinion on this woodrow subject) I am merely pointing out despite the facts some people do not agree.

EJL

The stats don't lie mainly because they tell you very little in isolation. I agree that he should start, though.

westcliff white

Quote from: Statto on May 09, 2017, 07:08:53 AM
Quote from: nose on May 08, 2017, 11:33:02 PM

the facts are as stated but what you make of numers makes you a proper statistician. some of us are trained and understand numbers and how they work.

here is a fact and a stat for you, ignoring cyriac our most potent goalscorer this season is woodrow.... 7 goals and 185 mins per goal......
he did well for burton and looked really good against burton, creating at least one goal, one goalscoring oportunity that went close and heading one in himself..... IMO he remains a very good player that has never been given a chance AND the stats prove it.
but as you say some peoples prejudice gets in the way of facts (I actually do not recall your opinion on this woodrow subject) I am merely pointing out despite the facts some people do not agree.

Unlike LVC, Woodrow hasn't even kept his place in their team whilst on loan. Nice guy but it must be clear by now he's a League One player.
Met Cauley when he was on loan at Southend, when they were league 2, Phil Brown signed him on loan, was the year we went down. He is a nice bloke, but I never saw anything in him at League 2 level to suggest he would be a championship or premiership striker, but I liked his effort. However, he was not a regualr for them and thats why we recalled him. McGath then played him and he did ok nothing special. A succession of our managers have loaned him out and not played him, for me thats telling, so as you say stats can be read how you want the to be and a trained eye will pick up on all the surrounding elements.

he is a good lad, he tries very hard but doesnt seem to have what it takes, i really hope he does as I like him.

As for Martin he has done ok for us, his January shanigans hurt all of us, and thats why he is suffering now. Yes one goal since January, but some of the others were very imprortant, not sure how many goals he has contributed too, but would guess its maybe 4 or 5. He gives us an alternative and for reading he is a good option. In the hime game this season he ran them ragged and bullied their centre backs.
Every day is a Fulham day

Southcoastffc

Exactly my point.  I am not particularly for or against Martin (In Joka we trust) but wanted to point out to the OP and Fulhamben that their 'statistics' were meaningless so offered them  alternative numbers to highlight that their posts, in my view, were based on predudice not fact.  BTW as a retired Finance Director I'm reasonably practised in understanding numbers and the stories they do or do not tell.

RaySmith

I think he plays a useful role up front- a focal point, who can hold the ball up, and at least occupy defenders.
On his game, he can be match winning.

He is a good option to have, and I think he could well start against Reading.

bobbo

If he put his hands up admitted what he did and apologised would any of you forgive him.
I'm not normally one for forgiving but if he was honest and came clean I think I'd feel a bit better about him.Having said that I don't exactly hate him now. Been said before we all make mistakes.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

fulhamben

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 09, 2017, 08:41:27 AM

Exactly my point.  I am not particularly for or against Martin (In Joka we trust) but wanted to point out to the OP and Fulhamben that their 'statistics' were meaningless so offered them  alternative numbers to highlight that their posts, in my view, were based on predudice not fact.  BTW as a retired Finance Director I'm reasonably practised in understanding numbers and the stories they do or do not tell.
how can the statistics of current form be meaningless?