watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Accrington Stanley

Started by Andy S, May 10, 2017, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Accrington Stanley chairman Andy Holt has criticised Premier League clubs over the amount of money they spend - prompting a robust response.

Holt told BBC Radio Lancashire the Premier League's actions filter down to adversely affect clubs in the Football League, which he said was "like a starving peasant begging for scraps".

The Premier League responded: "We will be writing to Mr Holt to ask him if he wishes the Premier League to continue the support we currently provide for his and other clubs in the EFL."

Holt then posted on Twitter on Wednesday: "WOW! After all the trouble we have gone to in rescuing @ASFCofficial is the @premierleague really threatening to close us down?"

He had earlier posted a series of messages on Twitter after the Daily Mail revealed reported figures of wages and agent fees paid by Manchester United.

In them, he accused the Premier League of "destroying" the game.

Accrington finished 13th in League Two this season with an average gate of 1,699 - the smallest in the Football League.

I think he has a very valid point

Holt then posted on Twitter on Wednesday: "WOW! After all the trouble we have gone to in rescuing @ASFCofficial is the @premierleague really threatening to close us down?"

He had earlier posted a series of messages on Twitter after the Daily Mail revealed reported figures of wages and agent fees paid by Manchester United.

In them, he accused the Premier League of "destroying" the game.

Accrington finished 13th in League Two this season with an average gate of 1,699 - the smallest in the Football League.

AlexW132

So basically the PL is saying 'Shut up and do as you're told or we'll kill your club' Bloke has a point.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes he has a massive point of Biblical Proportions.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

westcliff white

why do the PL give anything to the EFL, I am guessing its to do with the breakaway 25 odd years ago.

That aside, yes he has a point, but also the PL has a point, if (and I say if) they don't have to give any ash to the EFL and they stop how would 80% of those clubs survive? so in some ways the both have points at the PL know they hold all the cards when it comes to the small clubs.

I don't agree with agents fees, but what clubs pay is up to then I would guess. Would be far easier if the ruling bodies bought in a rule saying for a transfer of this amount the fee any agent can get (based on transfer fee) is x amount and so on, then anything else is down to their client, however I am sure everyone would figure away around it.
Every day is a Fulham day

bog

I don't think that Stanley deserve to be called a crap club. Small yes but not crap. I remember when they went out of business mid season in 1962 (I think!). Somehow they got going again and got back into the league, not as quickly as Wimbledon, but they did it. They have earned their right to be in the league whatever level of support they have.  The fact that they do keep going on such small crowds, to me, speaks volumes for their dedicated set up.

092.gif   

Mince n Tatties

These are the true fans of football, them and others like them who season after season watch them and the likes of Bury,Rochdale, Stockport County,Tranmere when they know deep down the chances of them ever being much higher than they are now or ever win anything.
It would be just as easy for them to support the local big boys Liverpool, Everton and the  Manchester clubs.
So I shouldnt think for one moment that Stanley fans think their a crap club.

SG

In my view clubs like Accrington are far more important than the big 6 or 7 in the Premiership. Community clubs which are at the centre of their town. Many of the Premiership club's have lost touch with their fans and the community. The money they spend on awages for average overseas players and agents fees are obscene. These inflationary pressures feed down to adversely impact the smaller clubs. Years ago the big clubs used to buy from the smaller clubs and give them a big cash boost. That does not occur very often now.

SG

Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2017, 08:50:32 PM
The Premier League is the best league in the world and huge volumes of money come into English football because people and companies around the world want to watch and advertise on it.

When Manchester City spend millions of pounds of that money on a championship player, that player's club in the championship then spends a portion of it on a replacement from someone like Accrington.

Accrington's problem is just that they're a small, crap club even by League Two standards but that's not the Premier League's fault, except insofar as if it wasn't for the Premier League, every club from the middle of the Championship downwards would be equally small and crap
What a load of rollocks, in my opinion of course. When did City last buy a Championship player? Roberts? There are not many. Most of the big spending goes to people outside the UK. £41m to Pogba's agent! Crazy

AlexW132

The thing is the PL desperately wants to be more marketable. They want this 'best league in the world' monkier because they can flog the brand to the foreign markets. That's why Leicester winning the league was both good and bad: good because it makes it all seem magical and fairy tale etc etc which the british consumer loves to see; bad because it actually show how low-standard the prem is in comparison to other major leagues, due to the fact a team that consists of Wes Morgans and Marc Albrightons can beat the likes of clubs who are spending obscene amounts of money both on players and on developing their own brands, often through the players themselves, (see Pogba,) to the title, which as far as the league is concerned is a bit embarrassing when it comes to promoting the PL brand overseas.

gang

When Accrington went out of business their chairman blamed us for employing Jimmy Hill, the PFA chairman who was responsible for the abolition of the maximum wage and for paying Johnny Haynes £ 100 per week.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on May 10, 2017, 09:18:34 PM
I don't think that Stanley deserve to be called a crap club. Small yes but not crap. I remember when they went out of business mid season in 1962 (I think!). Somehow they got going again and got back into the league, not as quickly as Wimbledon, but they did it. They have earned their right to be in the league whatever level of support they have.  The fact that they do keep going on such small crowds, to me, speaks volumes for their dedicated set up.

092.gif   

👍⚽️ I agree, Stanley are not a crap club, just a small club. They deserve to be in the Football League as many other small clubs are. They are somebody's local club.

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Of course the Premier League has all the vision necessary to see it doesn't need the likes of Accrington or anyone else to further its cause but it'll be screaming blue bloody murder the day the media money runs out......  The blinkered idiots in charge of football.   How has it been allowed to happen?

SG

Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2017, 11:17:59 PM
Quote from: SG on May 10, 2017, 10:29:59 PM
When did City last buy a Championship player? Roberts? There are not many. Most of the big spending goes to people outside the UK.

this year's equivalent would be ade lookman from charlton (league 1) to everton for £11m. just look at the players leaving villa and newcastle alone when they came down and that's over £100m flowing from the premiership down into the championship on top of the £00,000,000s in parachute payments those clubs received as well
One player only in an entire season - proves the point. The parachute payments mean that clubs can continue to pay the exorbitant wages to players and it is creating an uneven playing field at our level. Many clubs have their wages bill as high as 90% of their income or more. It is madness - a recipe for disaster at some future point

snarks

He was complaining about the £40 million agents fee paid in the pogba transfer, which he said would be enough to run Accrington for many years. It was in that context he was complaining, which I think is valid.

Mince n Tatties

What you need to sit down and think about is we ourselves and others might be Stanley in 10 years or so when all the big boys of Europe get their way and form their Super league,and it will happen as football is not a sport anymore but big business, and billions of pounds to be made out of it...40 million to an agent,the games gone insane..

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on May 11, 2017, 05:00:34 AM
Of course the Premier League has all the vision necessary to see it doesn't need the likes of Accrington or anyone else to further its cause but it'll be screaming blue bloody murder the day the media money runs out......  The blinkered idiots in charge of football.   How has it been allowed to happen?

But one day in the future the bubble could burst, and if and when it does, it will be Armageddon for many current rich so called big clubs built on sand who will collapse like a pack of cards.
As you say "the blinkered idiots in charge of football, with the pound sign 💷 embedded in their mindset, who have allowed it to happen. "

Never forget your Roots.

Funky Fulham Dave

And there we have it in a nutshell. "I'm alright f**k you".

It gives the lie to the word "competition" don't you think if all the big sides pocket everything and reluctantly throw a few scraps down to the undeserving poor. A mirror image of what's going on in everyday life.

This "greed is good" policy reared its ugly head in the late 80's when the so called big clubs – Man Utd, Everton, Spurs – decided they were not going to share their gate receipts, voting through a self-interested policy of each club keeping their own.

The Premiership (urk, what a horrible word) might be the richest, high-profile football competition in the world but comes a poor second to what is on offer in La Liga and Serie A and I'm talking about football not high finance.

049:gif

Woolly Mammoth

Bring back Fred Kite, from the film " Ime alright Jack ".

Never forget your Roots.

snarks

I disagree on the quality of la liga and serie a, there are some better teams in their leagues but fewer genuine competitive games amongst the teams in the league

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: snarks on May 11, 2017, 12:32:42 PM
I disagree on the quality of la liga and serie a, there are some better teams in their leagues but fewer genuine competitive games amongst the teams in the league

Absolutely!

Never forget your Roots.