watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR King Charles lll

Started by Holders, May 11, 2017, 11:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Who saw this on TV last night? I thought it was outstanding and acted like it were still on the stage - a masterpiece of insight into the workings of The Firm.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Tonywa

Very fine indeed, as it was when I saw it at Wyndham's Theatre about three years ago.

Neil D

How did the serial tax-avoider, Prince Charles, come out of it?

Holders

I wanted to keep this non-political, as there are so many potential issues that arise that one could discuss, my point was that I thought it was the finest piece of television, script and acting style that I can recall.

snarks

Didn't see it, as I saw the play which as Tonywa said was brilliant.

grandad

I refused to watch it as I find it disrespectful to the Queen & Prince Charles who are both very much alive.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Burt

Quote from: Neil D on May 11, 2017, 12:16:22 PM
How did the serial tax-avoider, Prince Charles, come out of it?

***Spoiler alert - look away now if you don't want to know the outcome!***

He was forced to abdicate... He created a constitutional crisis for refusing to sign in to law a bill seeking to restrict press freedoms.

Burt

It was actually compelling viewing, best thing the Beeb have done for a while.

Peabody

I too, found it compelling but also uncomfortable. I found the depiction of William and Harry as being weak and Catherine as being manipulative as being unbelievable. It was, however, very well done

As an aside, I wonder if the BBC had cleared the programme with the Palace?

Holders

It was interesting to see a hypothetical constitutional crisis here and to compare it with the one that's brewing on the other side of the Atlantic. I thought it political drama up there with A Very British Coup and House of Cards/To Play the King. 

I wondered if the principal characters had seen it in any way but what was interesting was how they clubbed together, forsaking all else, when it came down to it, rather like "The Selfish Gene".

Neil D

Quote from: Burt on May 11, 2017, 12:31:27 PM

He was forced to abdicate... He created a constitutional crisis for refusing to sign in to law a bill seeking to restrict press freedoms.
The issue of a constitutional crisis resulting from the refusal of the monarch to give approval to a parliamentary bill is an interesting premise.  However, it's scarcely credible that the man who fought for years to stop the Guardian publishing his 'black spider' memos could be construed as a defender of press freedoms.

Funky Fulham Dave

Rather than join the rest of the plebs watching this love-in I favoured FAMILY GUY which was unlike the WINSOR FAMILY SHOW much funnier and intentionally so.

Holders

Quote from: Neil D on May 11, 2017, 01:18:18 PM

The issue of a constitutional crisis resulting from the refusal of the monarch to give approval to a parliamentary bill is an interesting premise.  However, it's scarcely credible that the man who fought for years to stop the Guardian publishing his 'black spider' memos could be construed as a defender of press freedoms.

It was mooted some years ago that the queen might refuse to sign an Act (can't remember under whom). Rightly, she didn't, of course. 

Burt

Quote from: Holders on May 11, 2017, 01:50:07 PM

It was mooted some years ago that the queen might refuse to sign an Act (can't remember under whom). Rightly, she didn't, of course.

Back in the late 90s - there was a private members bill (I think it related to military action in Iraq) that included in it modifications to the prerogative powers of the monarch. Under such circumstances the consent of the monarch is needed for such a bill to go forward to be debated in parliament and in this instance the Queen refused to give consent so it never went forward.

It didn't cause a constitutional crisis as the government wanted to kill it anyway!!

Funky Fulham Dave

Bloody Germans, coming over here and taking all our "Family" jobs.

Funky Fulham Dave

Holders

Quote from: Burt on May 11, 2017, 02:17:36 PM
Quote from: Holders on May 11, 2017, 01:50:07 PM

Back in the late 90s - there was a private members bill (I think it related to military action in Iraq) that included in it modifications to the prerogative powers of the monarch. Under such circumstances the consent of the monarch is needed for such a bill to go forward to be debated in parliament and in this instance the Queen refused to give consent so it never went forward.

It didn't cause a constitutional crisis as the government wanted to kill it anyway!!

I wasn't aware of that, that's interesting. It was another, more routine, one I was thinking of and a little earlier than that as I recall. .

Holders

Quote from: Funky Fulham Dave on May 11, 2017, 02:19:47 PM

Bloody Germans, coming over here and taking all our "Family" jobs.

Yes, should have left them to the French.

Carborundum

Thoroughly enjoyed it, got better and better as the plot unfurled.  Making the dialogue "Shakespearean" added to the experience, so many resonances with aspects of the bard's plays.

Wonder if the Royal family sat down together last night to rate each other's lookalikes.  That's what my family would have done, but then again we aren't royalty.  All I'll say is that if they did some will have been happier than others.

Lighthouse

Worked well aping the Shakespearian tragedy. The story of a corrupt Government trying to silence the press and having the King trying to go against democracy was interesting to say the least.

Where it fell down a bit was when it went outside of that and forced Harry into the story as a disillusioned kid. But as the BBC has so little worth watching at the moment.  Just a few must see series every now and again. This was a t least well worth watching.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope