Main Menu

The stats on Mr. Martin

Started by Fulhamerica23, May 08, 2017, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 09, 2017, 08:41:27 AM
Quote from: nose on May 08, 2017, 11:33:02 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 08, 2017, 08:42:01 PM
Don't let facts get in the way of prejudice!

the facts are as stated but what you make of numers makes you a proper statistician. some of us are trained and understand numbers and how they work.

here is a fact and a stat for you, ignoring cyriac our most potent goalscorer this season is woodrow.... 7 goals and 185 mins per goal......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/top-scorers
he did well for burton and looked really good against burton, creating at least one goal, one goalscoring oportunity that went close and heading one in himself..... IMO he remains a very good player that has never been given a chance AND the stats prove it.
but as you say some peoples prejudice gets in the way of facts (I actually do not recall your opinion on this woodrow subject) I am merely pointing out despite the facts some people do not agree.
Exactly my point.  I am not particularly for or against Martin (In Joka we trust) but wanted to point out to the OP and Fulhamben that their 'statistics' were meaningless so offered them  alternative numbers to highlight that their posts, in my view, were based on predudice not fact.  BTW as a retired Finance Director I'm reasonably practised in understanding numbers and the stories they do or do not tell.

as a finance director I feel sure you can make numbers sing a verdi opera if you wisd.... :-))))
i agree people mis-use numbers or rather maybe they manipulate them to prove a point rather than see what they actually really mean and whether they  are relevant. There is a brilliant programme on radio 4 analysing such data, we listened on the way back from sheffield, I think everyone should be made to do the same.

nose

Quote from: fulhamben on May 09, 2017, 10:04:14 AM

the facts are as stated but what you make of numers makes you a proper statistician. some of us are trained and understand numbers and how they work.

here is a fact and a stat for you, ignoring cyriac our most potent goalscorer this season is woodrow.... 7 goals and 185 mins per goal......
he did well for burton and looked really good against burton, creating at least one goal, one goalscoring oportunity that went close and heading one in himself..... IMO he remains a very good player that has never been given a chance AND the stats prove it.
but as you say some peoples prejudice gets in the way of facts (I actually do not recall your opinion on this woodrow subject) I am merely pointing out despite the facts some people do not agree.
Exactly my point.  I am not particularly for or against Martin (In Joka we trust) but wanted to point out to the OP and Fulhamben that their 'statistics' were meaningless so offered them  alternative numbers to highlight that their posts, in my view, were based on predudice not fact.  BTW as a retired Finance Director I'm reasonably practised in understanding numbers and the stories they do or do not tell.
how can the statistics of current form be meaningless?

The numbers are meaningless if applied incorrectly or are misappropriated. For instance player a makes 100 passes, succesfully and none misplaced, therefore is the statement 'he is good at passing the ball' true or false?
The answer is without more data it is impossible to say because there is no context.
The martin stat in the OP gives no context. In the team I played for we won far more points when i played than when I didn't... that is a fact but it is also a fact I  was not one of our best players, yet it reamins the case we won more often with me in (this is a fact). 
IMO we are usually miles better when martin doesn't play but there are instances when he would be an asset.

fulhamben

Quote from: nose on May 09, 2017, 11:59:32 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on May 09, 2017, 10:04:14 AM

how can the statistics of current form be meaningless?

The numbers are meaningless if applied incorrectly or are misappropriated. For instance player a makes 100 passes, succesfully and none misplaced, therefore is the statement 'he is good at passing the ball' true or false?
The answer is without more data it is impossible to say because there is no context.
The martin stat in the OP gives no context. In the team I played for we won far more points when i played than when I didn't... that is a fact but it is also a fact I  was not one of our best players, yet it reamins the case we won more often with me in (this is a fact). 
IMO we are usually miles better when martin doesn't play but there are instances when he would be an asset.
there probably are some instances that he could be an asset for, but we are in a cup competition now. Goals win games, and Martin on current for is the least likely of our attackers to give us one
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Artful Dodger

The only reason Martin should play against Reading is so we have someone to blame if it goes wrong. He is useless and was again on Sunday. I get that SJ may like him but we don't play in a style that needs a big 'hold up' man up front so why play him. If SJ wants someone like that, i would rather get Woodrow back - i don't think he has what it takes to be a premiership player but on his day can do a job in the Championship which is more than Martin is doing at the moment.

Let's hope Martin gets a hattrick on Saturday after all that.....
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

westcliff white

Martin got 2 against them in the 5-0 win, so have an incling that he will start.
Every day is a Fulham day

nose

martin IMO will not start
the team that started V brentford will start, i think

Southcoastffc

Quote from: nose on May 09, 2017, 06:05:59 PM
martin IMO will not start
the team that started V brentford will start, i think
I suspect, and hope, you are right.  Kebano or Piazon to come on if Sessegnon doesn't make enough impact.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

NogoodBoyo

The level of intelligence on this board is amazing - truly without sarcasm or American irony.
CFO's rule - except when the CEO trumps them!  I used to be a CEO.  Even though he is not a CEO (because ours is useless) I would back the man who knows it all, who has produced above expectations and whose balls are on the line much more than anybody's on this board of weird opinions - I back Joca to make the decision - even if it doesn't work out.
Nogood "because he knows better, 57.5% better than anybody else on this board, isit" Boyo

Snibbo

Despite the disappointment at the lack of activity in January, we still have a range of combinations up front:

Perm any three from:
Aluko, Ayite, Sess, Martin, Kebano

with more than capable subs coming on from the unused 2 above and from Cyriac and Piazon

Aluko and Ayite are key for me, and I would have reasonable confidence in any of the others for the 3rd spot.

And Slav of course, can play with combinations according to the opposition and the state of the match.

FulhamKC

Quote from: westcliff white on May 09, 2017, 02:16:05 PM
Martin got 2 against them in the 5-0 win, so have an incling that he will start.

The only game I have seen this year (I live in the US) was the 5-0 smackdown of Reading. I thought Martin played really well. I was there with my Chelsea season ticket holder friend (I know, but he really is a nice guy) and his comment that the "big number 25 is pretty useful."

In Joka we trust.