watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

white hart lane???

Started by nose, May 15, 2017, 03:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

What is the rubbish about white hart lane.
Leaving their home? where are they going, gillingham, Coventry, Newcastle?
No none of those, the new stadium is moving a few feet in the same place. They will never know the difference. What a load of pointless hours of coverage and words written for something that is genuinely FAKE NEWS.....   they aren't moving at all except for a season whilst an extension is built on their existing home.

cmg

It is important, for the money-men, that the new place does not get known as White Hart Lane despite it being a bit nearer to the actual road called White Hart Lane than the old place. Scrapping traditional names and replacing them with something snappy like 'Kentucky Fried Chicken Wonderdrome' is worth megabucks.

Holders

You're so right, Nose. It would be no different to if the Mo-Bowl had been built at Craven Cottage. Even though there would have been no cottage it'd have been the same site.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

nose

Quote from: cmg on May 15, 2017, 03:17:21 PM
It is important, for the money-men, that the new place does not get known as White Hart Lane despite it being a bit nearer to the actual road called White Hart Lane than the old place. Scrapping traditional names and replacing them with something snappy like 'Kentucky Fried Chicken Wonderdrome' is worth megabucks.

I like the idea of the 'Kentucky Fried Chicken Wonderdrome' and it is appropriate for spurs because of their emblem (was the idea intentional?).

For a man with such a sharp mind as mine I am amazed it didn't click that the reason for the party was so that a new stadium on the same site would be called something else , just for money! Talk aboput even bigger fake news than I had realised.

dannyboi-ffc

Are you telling me if we moved from the Cottage into a new stadium in Bishops Park you wouldn't expect a big send off for all the history and memories?

No different to West Ham moving to Stratford. Your home is your home and I hope ours always will be
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

nose

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on May 15, 2017, 04:24:24 PM
Are you telling me if we moved from the Cottage into a new stadium in Bishops Park you wouldn't expect a big send off for all the history and memories?

No different to West Ham moving to Stratford. Your home is your home and I hope ours always will be

but they aren't moving, and if we moved say to the piece of land immediately adjacent to the current stadium it is hardly the same as moving a few miles away to a totally new place like at QPR or the bridge

aaronmcguigan

It doesn't really matter if they move or dont. Any chance a club gets to celebrate its history and reflect on whats been achieved so far with a look to the future shouldn't be ignored.

If craven cottage got bulldozed and rebuilt in the same spot, I'd love the club to celebrate the history created so far , inviting former players etc and fans together to celebrate.

The media have gone OTT with it but that's part of modern society but fairplay to the club for marking the occasion

rweller86

Quote from: nose on May 15, 2017, 04:29:47 PM

but they aren't moving, and if we moved say to the piece of land immediately adjacent to the current stadium it is hardly the same as moving a few miles away to a totally new place like at QPR or the bridge
Completely different argument moving to a rival ground. The new Spurs ground is a move next door effectively, but I think I'd still be celebrating the years at the ground as it would never be the same.
@rweller

Funky Fulham Dave

It's just one more example of an overly sentimental fluff story that has been hyped to the enth degree by the powerful media loving Spurs contingent of Lineker and company. I bet their North London mates are crying their eyes out.

cmg

Quote from: nose on May 15, 2017, 04:00:37 PM

I like the idea of the 'Kentucky Fried Chicken Wonderdrome' and it is appropriate for spurs because of their emblem (was the idea intentional?).

Haha! Unfortunately, no. I just put in something suitably tacky...But I'll be claiming it as an inspired piece of irony in the not too far distant future.

Mince n Tatties

Agree,doesn't matter if its 6ft or 60 miles they want
be playing in that Stadium again.

Logicalman

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 15, 2017, 07:33:14 PM

Yep, go to agree with these for this thread.

If we played a season elsewhere whilst the cottage was torn down and replaced by some plastic modular stadium, however 'better' it was in facilities or capacity, it wouldn't be Craven Cottage in any way, shape or form.

White Hart Lane, as the Cottage is, and the old Highbury was, is not just a piece of land, a point on a map, it's THE place on that land, THAT point on the map, it's THE home of the team.
Replace the Cottage in totality with something else and you might as well move 60 miles away, wouldn't be the same place as where I grew up watching Fulham play.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

G_Gribby

A bigger question is when/if the Cottage gets it new Riverstand. is it possible to use CC when/if they built if or do we need to move to QPR land again?

:023:
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Andy S

It is all sentimental rubbish when the powers that be could not care less. The fans like what they had and none of us like change but we all get used to it. The problem with spuds is they arn't leading the way, they are only playing catch up

nose

Quote from: rweller86 on May 15, 2017, 04:44:23 PM
Quote from: nose on May 15, 2017, 04:29:47 PM

Completely different argument moving to a rival ground. The new Spurs ground is a move next door effectively, but I think I'd still be celebrating the years at the ground as it would never be the same.

Yea and I absolutely agree with you it is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the past and all that. And I am pleased they are making something of it.

What i am struggling with is from the media coverage, you could be forgiven for thinking they were moving miles and miles away and losing their connection to the past. That just isn't so they are staying essentially at White Hart Lane, the new ground as I see it embraces much of the old stadium, so when they say they are leaving White Hart Lane they are not....  I actually had to find the plans on line to make sure I hadn't got it wrong.

nose

Quote from: Logicalman on May 16, 2017, 05:54:10 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 15, 2017, 07:33:14 PM

Yep, go to agree with these for this thread.

If we played a season elsewhere whilst the cottage was torn down and replaced by some plastic modular stadium, however 'better' it was in facilities or capacity, it wouldn't be Craven Cottage in any way, shape or form.

White Hart Lane, as the Cottage is, and the old Highbury was, is not just a piece of land, a point on a map, it's THE place on that land, THAT point on the map, it's THE home of the team.
Replace the Cottage in totality with something else and you might as well move 60 miles away, wouldn't be the same place as where I grew up watching Fulham play.

all that you say is true, except they are not leaving white hart lane, they are staying there. With all the stuff about nostalgia I do have to say the ground nothing like the first time I went to white hart lane in the 1960s, the genuine glory years for spurs, it was completely different. last time I went I didn't recognise the place.

I didn't actually expect this thread to have such legs. I am also a bit surprised at the difference of views but I think fulham fans are certainly very good at independent thought I am pleased to say, makes it far more interesting.

Holders

In the same way as the Cottage is different now it's all-seated.

nose

Quote from: Holders on May 16, 2017, 11:30:56 AM
well it is a bit different but essentially retains the same feel due to JH stand being as vt is and the corners of the ground open. White hart lane is truely a completely different animal. In actual fact my prinipal issue is they are not leaving white hart lane and all the hype said they were.

Holders

Quote from: nose on May 16, 2017, 11:36:54 AM
well it is a bit different but essentially retains the same feel due to JH stand being as vt is and the corners of the ground open. White hart lane is truely a completely different animal. In actual fact my prinipal issue is they are not leaving white hart lane and all the hype said they were.

I was agreeing with you really. As you say, they're not leaving WHL (as we wouldn't have left CC if the Mo-bowl had been built). I also agree  that WHL now is quite unlike it was in their "glory-days"; I was just saying that CC feels different now as well - but it still has more atmosphere than the new WHL will have.

nose

Quote from: Holders on May 16, 2017, 11:41:27 AM
Quote from: nose on May 16, 2017, 11:36:54 AM

I was agreeing with you really. As you say, they're not leaving WHL (as we wouldn't have left CC if the Mo-bowl had been built). I also agree  that WHL now is quite unlike it was in their "glory-days"; I was just saying that CC feels different now as well - but it still has more atmosphere than the new WHL will have.
well yes, I see and actually for me it is very similar because I have always sat in the JH and the entrance, stairs, toilets etc are all essentially the same except there used to be a faence between us and the next seat and my dad liked that because he thought I would be protected against a fence when I was little.. but I couldn't see over the fence so I sat in the other seat and he slumped against the fence

time to get ready for tonight!!!