watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did we deserve it?

Started by AlexW132, May 17, 2017, 08:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexW132

Personally I think we got a bit cocky. All this saying we're the best team in the league, taking the piss out of Leeds, cheesy promo vids on the offal and posting threads on here assuming we get promoted. I think we got a bit too big for our boots. Mind you, Reading don't deserve to go up either for different reasons.

westcliff white

We are the best footballing team in the division, however I never like it when players say we hsould be favourites we are on a great run hard to stop us type ting. Always best to play it down and put the expectation on others, let them have the pressure and deal with it.
Every day is a Fulham day

Slaphead in Qatar

Mostly it was other people not related to Fulham calling us favourites. I never bought into this and was never comfortable with the favourites tag. Good footballing team we may be, but the physical side of the game and taking your created chances that's equally important.

Also we came sixth, reading came third - on that basis they were the favourites.

westcliff white

I agree Reading were the favorites, but Malone was saying it as we entered the playoffs etc, I hate that sort of thing, we should just geton with the football and downplay everything.

Too late now, onwards and upwards next season, hopefully

Mince n Tatties

Over the last month all the pundits and press saying we are the best,the side in ascendancy we will go up.
As soon as all this talk came about it was a certainty it would work against us.

The Old Count

On the basis of the whole season Reading deserved it. They got more points than us, they beat us twice. We may be the best footballing side but that is only part of what makes a team a successful.

Neil D

If we have another season like this one I won't be too unhappy.

One Martin Thomas

We have a couple of flaws that need to be addressed.....  we played beautiful football, but when teams do get it right against us  i.e. Reading and Wolves we don't have the ability to neither keep a clean sheet nor score when not playing well. 

It was just not be, but we need to follow Brighton & invest sensibly where required and keep the squad together.  From where we were last season, we have been a revelation this year and we should be very proud.

Andy S

Stat to I think you are wrong to say Slav was out foxed on the night.  A club only has certain players. If they play to the best of their ability and it isn't good enough, we have to accept that

Artful Dodger

I can take being beaten by the better team but all sides need luck and we didn't have it on our side and they did. Four key decisions went against us - their goal in the first game should have been brought back for handball, their penalty was contentious and then we didn't get the decision in our favour when Fredericks was flattened in the first game in the area and Piazon hauled back last night. If any of those had gone our way, we would probably still be in the tie.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

westcliff white

I didnt thnk it was handball in the first game i thought the foul on Stefan was what should have been given but it still meant their goal was not given.

Fredericks in the first game if its the one where blackett fell on him, i didnt think that was a pen as he didnt have the ball as he had lost control and ge didnt (in my opinion) fall into freds deliberatley.

Pen last night form the refs angle looks a pen, and I htough it was too at normal speed from the TV angle. With replays etc yes its a lot easier to see what happens, with the aid of those then I spotted the hand of YK under Kalas's arm, the slight nudge by YK after it hits his hand menaing that Kalas jolts his arm out. the ref could not have seen those things it is a shame but it happens.

Piazon was a stone wall pen for me, he cuts back and is held back form the ball could not se ehow the ref didnt give it.

Overall though 19 shots and no goals we only have our selves to blame. but next season ........

toshes mate

I was proud of every Fulham player over the season and last night at the Madejski.  There was ten out of ten for effort but no rub of the green that you need to win over two legged ties when it came to finishing.  Perhaps we used all the green up just getting to the playoffs.  Agree that the Piazon incident was just as demanding of a penalty whistle from the ref as the one given earlier in the game.   But then, looking back at this season, who'd have scored from the spot.....

A sad end especially for those who have been such heroes in Fulham shirts since January and at least deserved an appearance at Wembley.  Only one player didn't catch my eye for effort last night but that has not been a surprise to me for almost the entire season.  I hope we get a proper and good striker or two in the squad before next season starts.  Looking forward to next season no matter what.

filham

We are playing very, very good football that is a joy to watch and I want to see more of the same next season.
But wait a minute, last night we played 96 minutes football without scoring a goal, there is something missing, the ability to shoot perhaps.

AlexW132

What annoys me most is that Reading weren't even full strength, they had their captain suspended and Obita out.

nose

Quote from: AlexW132 on May 17, 2017, 08:02:55 AM
Personally I think we got a bit cocky. All this saying we're the best team in the league, taking the piss out of Leeds, cheesy promo vids on the offal and posting threads on here assuming we get promoted. I think we got a bit too big for our boots. Mind you, Reading don't deserve to go up either for different reasons.

i agree with you totally
in the build up to the first game V reading it was clear there was an unfortunate sense of triumphalism

toshes mate

Perhaps, and just because, nose, getting to the play offs was indeed our one and only moment of triumph.  We all need to wise up a bit and hopefully last night will do the trick.

fluffyninja

Look at Brighton failing for 3 years , play offs rarely work like they should that's why I was happier finishing 6th than 3rd.The bookies I believe made us the favourites , I fancied us against Huddersfield but not sure about Reading or Wednesday , hopefully we'll win a playoff game in my lifetime.