watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (20/05/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 20, 2017, 07:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Not Keane – Who Is This £10m English Teenager Liverpool Are Targeting: Here's Everything You Need To Know

Scout Report – Ryan Sessegnon
Liverpool's defensive issues this season are well-documented. The Reds' poor defensive record was one of the main reasons for the demise of their Premier League title challenge. So, it is not surprising that Jurgen Klopp is targeting several new defensive signings ahead of the next season.

One such defender who has been linked heavily (Liverpool Echo) with a £10million move to Anfield is Fulham's 17-year old wonder kid Ryan Sessegnon. The teenage left-back has been a huge hit in his breakthrough season with the Cottagers and has had an excellent campaign in the EFL Championship.

Sessegnon played an important role in Fulham's playoff spot finish, contributing with 7 goals and 4 assists across all competitions. But, with the London club losing to Reading in their Championship playoffs, another season in the second-tier beckons for Fulham, which has spurred Liverpool into action as they believe the promise of Premier League football may tempt the 17-year old into a move.

As the speculations continue to mount, let's take a look at Sessegnon – his roots, his talents and his much-speculated-about future.

Footballing Background
Born in Roehampton, London, on 18 May 2000, Sessegnon joined the Fulham academy at the age of 9 along with his twin brother Steven. Having impressed consistently with his performances year after year, he broke into the Fulham U-18 team in 2015 as a 15-year old and became a regular fixture in Steve Wigley's side.

Fulham's academy is one of the most renowned in England with some very good players at every age group. So, establishing himself as a regular in the U-18s at the age of 15 speaks volumes about Sessegnon's abilities.

His performances for the junior team caught the eye of Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic, who called him up to the senior side for the pre-season ahead of the 2016-17 season, where he made a mark with a goal in a 3-0 win over Brighton & Hove Albion. Having impressed the boss, he soon made his first team debut in a 3-2 win against Leyton Orient in the EFL Cup, before making his EFL Championship bow in a 1-1 draw against Leeds United.

Sessegnon scored his first goal for the club on August 20, 2016 in a 2-2 draw against Cardiff City, becoming the first player born in 2000's to score in the Championship. As the season progressed, he grew from strength to strength and has made the left-back position his own. Sessegnon, till date, has 30 appearances for Fulham with 7 goals and 4 assists in return.

Sessegnon has represented the England National Team at the U-16 levels and was part of the England U-17 team for the U17s European Championships last year which the Three Lions exited at the quarter-finals stage. In October last year, he made his debut for the England U19s and has made 7 appearances so far, scoring a goal.

Style of Play
A modern day aggressive full-back in all aspects, Sessegnon is someone who loves to bomb forward down the left side from his position at each opportunity provided. The youngster can also play higher up the pitch as well.

His pace on and off the ball is something that helps him run up and down the flank all day long, allowing him to support his teammates in the attack, while also aiding him to cover the ground quickly while defending. The left-back, who turned 17 not so long ago, has shown great confidence in getting past his opponents, with the help of the speed that he possesses which makes him a huge threat while going forward.

Sessegnon attempted 44 take-ons in the Championship this season and tasted success on 19 occasions – a good return considering his age and experience at this level. His ability to play in his teammates behind the opposition defence is something that has caught the eye of many.

While his attacking intent is the biggest feature of his game, Sessegnon is no slouch defensively and has shown excellent work-rate in performing his primary duties of that of a defender. A strong tackler, the 17-year old has had a 55% success-rate in his 49 tackle attempts this season – not bad numbers at all, considering his age. Neat and tidy in possession, he can pick out a pass with fair accuracy as well.

However, the biggest flaw in his game at the time is his inability to deliver accurate crosses into the box. For any full-back, the ability to pick out teammates in the box with aerial balls is a must-have skill. But Sessegnon hasn't been the most accurate crosser of the ball in his debut campaign. His physical frame is another thing that has been exploited by the robust Championship football. But at the age of 17, these things are acceptable as the player is still growing both physically and technically. The signs, though, are of a future star in the making for England.

What Does The Future Hold?
Manager Slavisa Jokanovic rates the player very highly and has high hopes for him. He was quoted as saying by The Standard:

"He is only 16 and a few months. We feel he has a very happy bright future in front of him. Always when I give him a chance he performs enough to prove me right.

"If you are ready to play football, it is not important how old you are. Leeds was the first time he played in the Championship and he did a very good job."

With Liverpool's interest getting stronger, Sessegnon will have a decision to make, as he has turned 17 and will soon be signing a professional contract. While a jump to the top division may appeal, a lack of game time with the senior team may force him to think twice before considering any such move. Sessegnon has the abilities and the talent to shine on the stages of the Premier League. But he might be better served by putting off the big move for another year and gain some more valuable experience before entering the big leagues.

http://soccersouls.com/2017/05/19/scout-report-liverpool-target-ryan-sessegnon/

WhiteJC

Fulham keeeper Marcus Bettinelli reveals he may have to consider leaving to get regular football

The Fulham keeper turns 25 this month and although being the number one for the club he loves is his preferred option, he may have to look elsewhere

Marcus Bettinellli has revealed he may have to consider leaving Fulham if he isn't getting regular game time next season.

The 24-year-old reclaimed the number one shirt at the Cottage from David Button for the Ipswich Town victory and continued to be first choice right until the Play-off semi final defeat at Reading, but many fans called for the keeper to be recalled earlier than that.

He didn't manage to keep a clean sheet in the eight games he played, although he pulled off a number of vital stops, including one against Aston Villa which set Fulham on their way to their second goal as well as a superb save from Yann Kermorgant on Tuesday night.

He turns 25 later this month, and while his love for the club runs deep and is clear to anyone who speaks to him or watches him play, he has admitted he may have to look elsewhere for the benefit of his career, although making the number one shirt his own is his main target.

He said: "Its been a long season for me, it hasn't been a great season for me if we're honest.

One of our own: Marcus Bettinelli (Photo: Harry Trump/Getty Images)

"I love this club and I've been at this club for a long, long time but I'm going to be turning 25 in the summer and I want to be playing regular football, and this season I haven't done that.

"I've got two more years left and I want to stay here, I love this club and want to play for this club but at the end of the day I need games and if I'm not going to get them that's it, but hopefully I can get them and get this number one shirt.

"I think it's been a tough, long old season and I think if you said around Christmas time this was the position we'd be in we'd have taken but we wanted to go all the way.

"We're a great footballing team and have a great footballing manager it's a shame we haven't been able to do it this year and we'll come back stronger next year."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-keeeper-marcus-bettinelli-reveals-13059228

WhiteJC

Liverpool and Spurs reportedly battling to sign Sessegnon

Liverpool fear they will miss out to Tottenham in a battle to sign Fulham youngster Ryan Sessegnon, according to the Daily Express.

The teenage left-back, who has yet to sign a professional contract at Craven Cottage, has been linked with several top Premier League clubs in recent months.

Spurs are believed to be pursuing a deal to sign him and the Express say Liverpool fear he will move to north London.

On the other hand, The Independent say Liverpool are confident they will agree a deal to take Sessegnon to Anfield this summer.

And the Daily Mail say Fulham are confident Sessegnon will sign a contract with them despite the speculation over his future.

There has also been speculation over the future of Whites star Tom Cairney, particularly in light of Fulham's recent defeat in the Championship play-offs.

The Daily Telegraph say Newcastle are set to make an approach and are undeterred by reports Fulham want £20m for the 26-year-old.

The Telegraph say Newcastle are likely to offer Fulham £12m and that Cairney could be keen to move on now Fulham's hopes of a return to the top flight have been quashed.

Meanwhile, the Northern Echo believe Newcastle will make an approach for Cairney and that the Scotland international is also wanted by West Ham.

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/transfer-gossip/liverpool-reportedly-fear-tottenham-will-beat-signing-whites-prospect/

WhiteJC

Fulham considering entering U21 side into next season's Checkatrade Trophy

16 Category One academies will be invited into next season's competition after League One and Two clubs agreed to keep the current format

Fulham are seriously considering entering an U21 side into next season's Checkatrade Trophy, should they be invited to do so.

League One and Two clubs recently agreed to keeping last season's format for the competition, where 16 Category One clubs were invited into the competition to play alongside senior teams from the two divisions.

Fulham are one of 24 clubs to have Category One status, a list that includes the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and United as well as last season's Premier League 2 winners Everton.

Despite having that status last season, Fulham didn't enter a side as a result of the position they finished in the Championship the season before, which was 20th, 11 clear of Charlton who took up the final relegation spot.

However, after a strong season this year which has seen the emergence of Ryan Sessegnon into the first team, the club are seriously considering entering a side into this year's competition if they are invited.

Semi-final action: Fulham U23s vs Newcastle (Photo: Lewis Arnold)

If they chose to enter the competition, six players in the starting XI would have to be under the age of 21 as of June 30 2017, and they would also play all their group games away from home.

Fulham U23s finished the season in fourth place in Division Two of the Premier League 2, losing 2-0 to Newcastle in the semi-finals of the Play-offs to Division One at St James' Park.

Last year, Swansea City U21s were the last Academy side standing in the competition, but they went down 4-2 on aggregate to eventual winners Coventry in the quarter-final stage.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-considering-entering-u21-side-13059722

WhiteJC

Davies' Wales Call-Up

Fulham defender Aron Davies has been picked to represent Wales' Under-20 national side at this summer's Toulon tournament.

Having been a mainstay of Peter Grant's PL2 side, which reached the Play-Off Semi-Final, the Welshman has been called up by interim manager Robert Page.

"For the Under-20s it is my first call up," commented Davies. "I have played for them a few times at numerous ages.

"It started off with regionals, people coming together from different clubs in Wales to have training sessions everyday, and then I made my debut for Wales at Under-16 level.

"It's always an honour to represent your country, one of the best feelings walking out with a Welsh shirt on you, there is no better feeling."

Asked if he knew the coaching set up well, he said: "This is the first time for me playing under Rob Page, It will be a good experience and I'm looking forward to having another manager giving an opinion on me."

It is the first time that Wales will compete in Toulon, and they kick off their campaign against France. "We meet up on the 24th in Wales, and then we fly out on the Sunday," Davies explained.

"Our first game is on the 29th against France. We also have the Ivory Coast and Bahrain in our group."

Meanwhile, Grant will also be at the Toulon Tournament as Assistant Manager to Scot Gemmill and the Scottish national team.

"I spoke to Peter earlier in the week," said Davies. "He mentioned that he will be going out there with Scotland so hopefully we somehow come across them, that wouldn't be too bad.

"We're not there to make numbers, obviously we go there thinking about what the senior team did at the Euros.

"I think Welsh football is on the horizon, we've just got to go there, put on the best performance we can in every game in the group and hopefully we get into the latter stages of the tournament and put on a good show."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/19/davies-u20-wales-call-up

WhiteJC

Grant's Scotland Appointment

Fulham's PL2 Head Coach Peter Grant has been appointed Assistant Coach for Scotland's Under-20 national side.

Competing at this summer's Toulon Tournament, Grant has been asked to assist Scot Gemmill's Young Scots. He will also link up with Scotland in September for their Under-21s Euro Qualifiers.

"I'm just going to help the coaches," Grant said about his appointment. "There are a lot of younger coaches and they asked if I would be interested in joining up with the group.

"I spoke to Fulham and the Club have been fantastic allowing me to do it, obviously the Club is the most important thing.

"My dream was always to play for Celtic FC as a kid, and my ultimate dream was to play well enough to represent my country, because that means you're doing your very best at your club side.

"I was very fortunate to play for Scotland at every level including being a full international. If there was one thing that I got excited by, it was going on trips. I loved going to places, like the European Championships.

"We went to St Petersburg in Russia, we did one in England actually and went to places like Monaco, and played in tournaments when we were younger. Some of these places you'd never see in your life unless it was all through Scotland.

"I don't think I ever missed a trip, its something I looked forward to and something I was very proud of, wearing the Scotland badge with pride.

"It was fantastic to represent them everywhere we went and I look back at some of the programmes and some of the players we played against at that time. They all became world famous footballers so it was fantastic, really good times and we were a very good side so it was something I really enjoyed."

He continued: "People are a wee bit remiss of the international teams because there is so much money, I can't even remember if we got paid to play for Scotland because it didn't matter, it was the fact that you're representing your country. It's a very proud achievement and something I always wanted from being a young boy.

"Scotland has a lot of young players, because we don't have the finance of the Premier League where you can hold loads of players in squads, a lot of young players up here get the opportunity to play.

"It's great experience for the young guys, going and playing against the best teams in a tournament like this. The first game we have is against Brazil, so that tells you. After that the Czech Republic and then Indonesia.

"Three different teams from three different parts of the world, and different styles of football. So for these young players it is fantastic and hopefully the experience I've gained over the years can help, and that's all I'm there to do.

"To try and help and watch some young players get into the national team and back to the clubs and they can learn from this fantastic experience and go back and learn more.

"As we say at Fulham, ultimately we want to get our guys playing in the highest level we possibly can. I'm delighted the Club have let me go and do it, and the fact that I'm doing a busman's holiday, as they say, doing a tournament through the summer time tells you how excited I am."

Fulham's PL2 defender Aron Davies has been picked to represent Wales in the same tournament, and asked about the prospect of his team facing one of his club side's mainstays, Grant responded, "I hope we get them and I hope he's playing, that's good enough for me to have some bragging rights!

"If we end up meeting each other it means we've both done really well as we will have both got to the Semi-Finals as that is the only place we can meet, so hopefully that will be the case."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/19/grant-scotland-appointment

WhiteJC

Fulham won't be playing in the Play-off final but there are silver linings everywhere you look

Columnist Jack Collins has found a remedy in the Proclaimers and is now looking to the future and next season

It's difficult to swallow that Fulham won't be in the Play-off final at Wembley next year, although my heart goes out a little to Sheffield Wednesday fans who've now had to suffer this pain twice in two years.

From the searing pain of Tuesday night, it's been mostly quiet moments of melancholy that have defined the few days afterwards.

I've found most of my solace in the rousing melodies of Hibernian's Proclaimers-written anthem, 'Sunshine on Leith' which seems to strike the right balance between unbearable sadness and uplifting promise. I'd highly recommend a listen or ten to anyone still looking for a tonic to the heartache.

It feels like it's been a very long season, one which has taken us on a rollercoaster of emotions, but has been defined by the scintillating football that Fulham have played throughout most of the year. A friend of mine watched the game at the Madejski and told me the next day – "I was devastated for you. Fulham were awesome." If that's the reaction we're getting to a game where I thought we were nowhere near our best, then it's a good start.

But it's a point worth making. It doesn't, in any way, make up for the loss, but in some ways there are real silver linings.

Slavisa Jokanović , who seems to want to stay and build a project, can strengthen this team and has a period now where he can utilise his back room network to find ways to plug the gaps and change this team into one which can challenge for the automatic spots next year.

Heartbreak: Fulham players look on at the final whistle (Photo: Adam Davy/ PA)

There will no doubt be opinions left, right and centre over what positions need filling and what needs to change before the season starts again in 12 weeks time, but that's going to take deep research and analysis into what kind of players will fit the system. The released list will also come out shortly, one would imagine, and we'll see what the state of play is then – as well as getting a deeper understanding of what Jokanović's mindset is, looking forward.

It seems so difficult to think positively right now, but on reflection this season has been such a joy, and it's something we shouldn't take for granted.

If Leeds hadn't capitulated and we'd finished 7th we probably would have all thought it was a season where we'd played brilliant football and just fallen short due to poor patches in September and March. As they say, it's the hope that kills you.

That said, it's perfectly reasonable to allow ourselves some time and space to grieve for the dream lost for a little while.

I know there's many of us who, truthfully, promotion wasn't the goal so much as a day out at Wembley, which an entire generation of Fulham fans have never got to experience in black and white. I can't shake the feeling that we've missed a golden opportunity, but if Slavisa can keep hold of his key men and add a few key additions, there's no chance that next year can't be our year – either through the playoffs or even a little cup run.

Will he stay or will he go? Tom Cairney (Photo: Harry Trump/Getty Images)

I imagine that the summer used to be a time where people could forget the football season for a little while at least, allowing themselves to refresh and recuperate from the highs and lows of the season before.

That no longer exists, and many of us will spend the next three months trawling the internet, desperate for news of Ryan Sessegnon's contract signing or praying that we hear nothing more than mild rumours about interest in Tom Cairney.

As we sang not so long ago – 'Que sera, sera: whatever will be, will be." We have no say in these decisions that shape the season ahead, but we will be back in August, no matter what happens over the course of the summer. For the time being, we must just attempt to let our hearts heal.

P.S. TC, if you're reading this, please don't go breaking those hearts any more by leaving.

Jack is the latest incarnation of GWL's Fulham fan blogger. He's also the Editor of Fulhamish and a regular on the associated weekly podcast. When not talking about Fulham, Jack provides live match commentary and social media for the UEFA Champions League and Europa League websites. You can find him on Twitter right here: @JackJCollins or his website: www.jackjcollins.co.uk.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-wont-playing-play-final-13060627

WhiteJC

Fulham Can Rebound From Play-Off Heartbreak

Tom Cairney stood disconsolately, his eyelids reddened from crying. Sometimes displays of emotion in football can appear feigned or contrived, but this wasn't one of those. Cairney's tears represented the tears of Fulham supporters at the Madejski Stadium and at home, on the night a dream was extinguished.

Defeat to Reading in the play-offs consigned the West Londoners to another season of the gruelling Championship grind. To lose at this juncture is a particularly bitter pill to swallow, as they were so close to ecstasy. That's why the format is so popular; the high stakes displaying the fine line between rich rewards or heartbreak.
Over the next few days and weeks, the pain will dissipate and Fulham will realise how far they've come in a short space of time. And boy have they progressed.

As they congregated on Craven Cottage in August last year, consensus amongst fans was split between anticipation and trepidation. Fulham had floundered in the lower half of the division for much of the 2015/16 campaign. They conceded a staggering 79 goals and a club which had scaled the heights of a European final only seven years ago, briefly flirted with relegation to League One.

In the summer they were stripped of both their top scorers Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele, who joined Aston Villa and Celtic respectively. The latter in particular was mourned, given the fact that he left on a free, while it turned out they dodged a bullet with McCormack (the Scot missed multiple training sessions with his new club – his excuse being that the electric gates guarding his mansion had failed, confining him inside – and was reprimanded by Steve Bruce for his laissez-faire attitude).

The cause for optimism was the mix of prodigious youngsters and experienced heads within their ranks, and the commitment of manager Slavisa Jokanovic. Jokanovic impressively led Watford to promotion in 2015 and held similar aspirations for the Cottagers.

"We need to be ready to build a more competitive team than we have in our hands right now," the Serbian said. "It has to be completely different because this is Fulham, a historic team, fighting for a different target than what we are fighting this year. We've finished 20th and we are talking about fighting for top six. We need many things."

Fulham started as they meant to go on, beating overwhelming promotion favourites Newcastle 1-0 in their opening league match. They won three of their first five games, but would follow that up by going six without one, culminating in a 2-1 defeat by local rivals Queens Park Rangers. Entering December, Fulham were in the bottom half of the table, but their fortunes were about to change.

In the new year, they encountered a sticky patch, but from February onwards, Fulham were arguably the Championship's form side. Jokanovic's men beat Norwich, Aston Villa, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday and even won at St. James' Park against Rafa Benitez's champions. Such is the volatility of the division, Fulham usurped Leeds United and landed a play-off spot.

Jokanovic's team were playing an attractive and vibrant brand of football, which reflected well on him as well as the club's recruitment. Sone Aluko – who only scored 14 times in four years at Hull – grabbed vital goals during the run in. Lucas Piazon and Tomas Kalas proved inspired loan signings from Chelsea, while Congolese international Neeskens Kebano came into his own as he settled in.

Homegrown representatives contributed as well, and a sprinkling of academy talent offered a glimpse of the future. In particular, Ryan Sessegnon was a revelation. The 16 year-old is the epitome of a modern wingback, offering vitality, pace and dynamism from the left touchline. Securing his services on a long-term deal must be a high priority for the club.

Fulham's play-off defeat to Reading will grate, as there was very little to separate the sides over two legs. The prospect of another 46 match slog when the glamour and allure of the Premier League was so close must be difficult to comprehend for supporters and players alike, but they can be immensely proud of what they've achieved.

Thoughts must now turn to August and another tilt at returning to the top flight. Without the presence of a powerhouse such as Newcastle, next season promises to be wide open. Of the relegated Premier League clubs, a flailing Sunderland and a Marco Silva-less Hull City will do well to summon enough resolve to bounce straight back. Middlesbrough are anticipated to be in the shakeup, but as many as twelve teams will fancy their chances.

And that's surely the solace Fulham can take from falling short. Setbacks in sport, as in life, are certain. Now that they've touched headier heights, they can use the disappointment of this week to ensure they are celebrating in twelve months time. Fulham are on an upward curve, now they have to capitalise.

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/fulham-can-rebound-from-play-off-heartbreak

WhiteJC

Mike Williamson and James Henry released by Wolves – and no deal for Richard Stearman

Mike Williamson and James Henry have been released by Wolves, the club announced today.

And there'll be no permanent deal for long-serving defender Richard Stearman, who spent last season on loan at Molineux.

One-year options will be taken up on midfielders Jack Price and George Saville – and Haiti international striker Duckens Nazon.

But the futures of defender Silvio and Derby loanee Andreas Weimann haven't yet been decided.

Talks are are ongoing regarding the pair. Portuguese international Silvio, who has made just four appearances for Wolves so far, signed a one-year contract with a one-year option last summer which the club haven't yet automatically taken up.

There is a £1.5million deal in place to sign Weimann. Boss Paul Lambert has publicly stated his desire to sign the 25-year-old Austrian and the fact Lambert's future is seriously in doubt may be behind the delay.

The club have taken the decision to release the list now despite uncertainty over who will be in charge next season. It has been overseen by sporting director Kevin Thelwell and signed off by Fosun.

As reported last week the Express & Star understands that academy graduate Price, aged 24, has been told he can leave Molineux if a club meets Wolves' valuation.

Williamson endured an injury-hit 18 months with the club after joining from Newcastle for £200,000 in January 2016. The 33-year-old had previously impressed during a five-game loan spell but suffered serious hamstring and tendon problems and spent 12 months on the sidelines.

In the 11 appearances Williamson made in Wolves colours the team kept seven clean sheets, but it seems the centre-half's injury record has counted against him.

Stearman left Wolves in August 2015 to join Fulham in a £2million deal, after seven years at the club. He returned last summer on a one-year loan deal and made 19 appearances, taking his total to 254. Stearman, 29, publicly stated his desire to return to Wolves on a permanent basis but the club have decided against signing him again.

Saville joined from Chelsea for £1m in 2014, signing a three-year deal with a one year option, which Wolves have now taken up. The 23-year-old midfielder – who filled in at left back towards the end of the season – has played 57 times for Wolves, scoring six goals.

Henry, 27, enjoyed a productive 2015/16 season, finishing third in the player of the year vote after scoring seven goals from midfield. However he fell out of favour under then-new boss Walter Zenga last summer and was shipped out on loan to League One side Bolton where he struggled to make an impact.

Nazon's year option is a surprise move. The 23-year-old joined on an 18-month deal in January after previously playing in the Indian Super League but has only scored twice for the under-23s in the past five months.

Lambert said in February of the striker: "His fitness was way low, too low for the way I play and too low for the way the team plays.

"He's got a couple of months to prove to himself and to me that he can do it."

In a statement announced the retained list Thelwell said: "As ever we would like to thank all those players who will be leaving us

"With Richard and James, they have played their parts at different times in some of the club's major successes of recent years and their contributions will always be well remembered.

"Mike was unfortunate to suffer through injury during his 18 months as a player here, but remained a consummate professional throughout, and also made some key contributions during the second half of this season.

"We wish all three players all the very best in their future careers."

Meanwhile it's emerged that French left back Sylvain Deslandes, whose previous deal was due to expire this summer, signed a new deal earlier in the season.

Wolves retained list 2016/17
Released: Mike Williamson, James Henry, Richard Stearman (loan expired)

One-year option taken up: Jack Price, George Saville, Duckens Nazon

Talks ongoing: Silvio (who has one-year option), Andreas Weimann (loan expired)

Read more at https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/05/19/mike-williamson-and-james-henry-released-by-wolves--and-no-deal-for-richard-stearman/#U7PZT01GvWhvSdP5.99

gang

Oh dear. How long is Stearmans' contract?

The Enclosurite

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 20, 2017, 07:26:06 AM

Fulham considering entering U21 side into next season's Checkatrade Trophy

16 Category One academies will be invited into next season's competition after League One and Two clubs agreed to keep the current format

Fulham are seriously considering entering an U21 side into next season's Checkatrade Trophy, should they be invited to do so.

League One and Two clubs recently agreed to keeping last season's format for the competition, where 16 Category One clubs were invited into the competition to play alongside senior teams from the two divisions.

Fulham are one of 24 clubs to have Category One status, a list that includes the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and United as well as last season's Premier League 2 winners Everton.

Despite having that status last season, Fulham didn't enter a side as a result of the position they finished in the Championship the season before, which was 20th, 11 clear of Charlton who took up the final relegation spot.

However, after a strong season this year which has seen the emergence of Ryan Sessegnon into the first team, the club are seriously considering entering a side into this year's competition if they are invited.

Semi-final action: Fulham U23s vs Newcastle (Photo: Lewis Arnold)

If they chose to enter the competition, six players in the starting XI would have to be under the age of 21 as of June 30 2017, and they would also play all their group games away from home.

Fulham U23s finished the season in fourth place in Division Two of the Premier League 2, losing 2-0 to Newcastle in the semi-finals of the Play-offs to Division One at St James' Park.

Last year, Swansea City U21s were the last Academy side standing in the competition, but they went down 4-2 on aggregate to eventual winners Coventry in the quarter-final stage.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-considering-entering-u21-side-13059722

Anything to help get that Wembley appearance!!  049:gif
¡COYW!

Barrett487

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 20, 2017, 07:19:50 AM

Not Keane – Who Is This £10m English Teenager Liverpool Are Targeting: Here's Everything You Need To Know

Scout Report – Ryan Sessegnon
Liverpool's defensive issues this season are well-documented. The Reds' poor defensive record was one of the main reasons for the demise of their Premier League title challenge. So, it is not surprising that Jurgen Klopp is targeting several new defensive signings ahead of the next season.

One such defender who has been linked heavily (Liverpool Echo) with a £10million move to Anfield is Fulham's 17-year old wonder kid Ryan Sessegnon. The teenage left-back has been a huge hit in his breakthrough season with the Cottagers and has had an excellent campaign in the EFL Championship.

Sessegnon played an important role in Fulham's playoff spot finish, contributing with 7 goals and 4 assists across all competitions. But, with the London club losing to Reading in their Championship playoffs, another season in the second-tier beckons for Fulham, which has spurred Liverpool into action as they believe the promise of Premier League football may tempt the 17-year old into a move.

As the speculations continue to mount, let's take a look at Sessegnon – his roots, his talents and his much-speculated-about future.

Footballing Background
Born in Roehampton, London, on 18 May 2000, Sessegnon joined the Fulham academy at the age of 9 along with his twin brother Steven. Having impressed consistently with his performances year after year, he broke into the Fulham U-18 team in 2015 as a 15-year old and became a regular fixture in Steve Wigley's side.

Fulham's academy is one of the most renowned in England with some very good players at every age group. So, establishing himself as a regular in the U-18s at the age of 15 speaks volumes about Sessegnon's abilities.

His performances for the junior team caught the eye of Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic, who called him up to the senior side for the pre-season ahead of the 2016-17 season, where he made a mark with a goal in a 3-0 win over Brighton & Hove Albion. Having impressed the boss, he soon made his first team debut in a 3-2 win against Leyton Orient in the EFL Cup, before making his EFL Championship bow in a 1-1 draw against Leeds United.

Sessegnon scored his first goal for the club on August 20, 2016 in a 2-2 draw against Cardiff City, becoming the first player born in 2000's to score in the Championship. As the season progressed, he grew from strength to strength and has made the left-back position his own. Sessegnon, till date, has 30 appearances for Fulham with 7 goals and 4 assists in return.

Sessegnon has represented the England National Team at the U-16 levels and was part of the England U-17 team for the U17s European Championships last year which the Three Lions exited at the quarter-finals stage. In October last year, he made his debut for the England U19s and has made 7 appearances so far, scoring a goal.

Style of Play
A modern day aggressive full-back in all aspects, Sessegnon is someone who loves to bomb forward down the left side from his position at each opportunity provided. The youngster can also play higher up the pitch as well.

His pace on and off the ball is something that helps him run up and down the flank all day long, allowing him to support his teammates in the attack, while also aiding him to cover the ground quickly while defending. The left-back, who turned 17 not so long ago, has shown great confidence in getting past his opponents, with the help of the speed that he possesses which makes him a huge threat while going forward.

Sessegnon attempted 44 take-ons in the Championship this season and tasted success on 19 occasions – a good return considering his age and experience at this level. His ability to play in his teammates behind the opposition defence is something that has caught the eye of many.

While his attacking intent is the biggest feature of his game, Sessegnon is no slouch defensively and has shown excellent work-rate in performing his primary duties of that of a defender. A strong tackler, the 17-year old has had a 55% success-rate in his 49 tackle attempts this season – not bad numbers at all, considering his age. Neat and tidy in possession, he can pick out a pass with fair accuracy as well.

However, the biggest flaw in his game at the time is his inability to deliver accurate crosses into the box. For any full-back, the ability to pick out teammates in the box with aerial balls is a must-have skill. But Sessegnon hasn't been the most accurate crosser of the ball in his debut campaign. His physical frame is another thing that has been exploited by the robust Championship football. But at the age of 17, these things are acceptable as the player is still growing both physically and technically. The signs, though, are of a future star in the making for England.

What Does The Future Hold?
Manager Slavisa Jokanovic rates the player very highly and has high hopes for him. He was quoted as saying by The Standard:

"He is only 16 and a few months. We feel he has a very happy bright future in front of him. Always when I give him a chance he performs enough to prove me right.

"If you are ready to play football, it is not important how old you are. Leeds was the first time he played in the Championship and he did a very good job."

With Liverpool's interest getting stronger, Sessegnon will have a decision to make, as he has turned 17 and will soon be signing a professional contract. While a jump to the top division may appeal, a lack of game time with the senior team may force him to think twice before considering any such move. Sessegnon has the abilities and the talent to shine on the stages of the Premier League. But he might be better served by putting off the big move for another year and gain some more valuable experience before entering the big leagues.

http://soccersouls.com/2017/05/19/scout-report-liverpool-target-ryan-sessegnon/

Does Scott Malone know that Ryan's made the left-back position his own? More sloppy journalism.

the nutflush

Sessegnon rated at 10 mill?  More sloppy journalism.  There is now way we will be letting him go for that with the feeding frenzy that is being reported between PL clubs.