watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sam Allardyce leaves Palace

Started by epsomraver, May 23, 2017, 09:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Bit of a shock! Had enough of being a top flight manager, wants time wirth his family, at last a manager with some sense!

Nero

Think its a case of he wanted to be England manager got it lost it, nothing else to motivate him to continue

Southcoastffc

Surprising (to me anyway) statement.  I'm not inclined to take it at face value, but perhaps I'm doing him a disservice.

"I have no ambitions to take another job," Allardyce said.

"I want to be able to savour life while I am still relatively young, and when I am still relatively healthy enough to do all the things I want to do, like travel, spend more time with my family and grandchildren without the huge pressure that comes with being a football manager.

"This is the right time for me. I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League."
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Andy S

I can see exactly where he is coming from. He knows he can do it. There is nothing to prove So lets have a few holidays and good time while we still can. Just sounds so perfect to me.

Woolly Mammoth

I don't blame him at all. He has decided that life is to be enjoyed if you are in a position to afford it. If the hunger, desire and appetite is no longer what it was, it has to makes sense. Sometimes enough is enough, and he appears to have come to the conclusion that he has had enough.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

Felt his last job would be England but obviously with the way it went , he had something to prove and a reputation to restore.

Fairplay to him for realising and getting out on his own terms

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Newry FFC on May 24, 2017, 12:45:01 AM
Felt his last job would be England but obviously with the way it went , he had something to prove and a reputation to restore.

Fairplay to him for realising and getting out on his own terms

To be honest; if he's that greedy to do what he did, at the pinnacle of his career and in the job every English player/manager dreams of, then he's only got himself to blame.
However; fair play to him for keeping Palace up. Proved he still has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

bobby01

Me, just glad to see the back of him and his thug football teams.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Carborundum

Based on his recent experiences and those of Harry Redknapp, why would he work a full year in order to earn more money than he can spend.  He's the first cab off the rank for a rescue mission some time in the New Year when chairmen get desperate.  Maximum upside, minimum grind and a watertight alibi if the drop isn't avoided.  Looks like au revoir , rather than goodbye.

Lighthouse

He belongs to a different time of paper bags and bungs and pay me on the side and I will do this. No doubt still goes on but the hide it better now. He has had a heart attack and frankly with all the money he has made there can be little incentive to continue. Can't say I was ever a fan. Belonged to the Harry Redknapp type of manager I never trusted.

On saying all that he has done his bit for the game. Good time to bow out.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bobbo

I find it hard to believe he was ever able to get employed at that level again after admitting what he did and resigning from the England job. Maybe I'm missing something.

However he did seem to to have the knack of survival.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

nose

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 23, 2017, 09:59:19 PM
Surprising (to me anyway) statement.  I'm not inclined to take it at face value, but perhaps I'm doing him a disservice.

"I have no ambitions to take another job," Allardyce said.

"I want to be able to savour life while I am still relatively young, and when I am still relatively healthy enough to do all the things I want to do, like travel, spend more time with my family and grandchildren without the huge pressure that comes with being a football manager.

"This is the right time for me. I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League."

I agree with you. I do not see him as the sort to pack it in whilst he is capable of being a force at work. If I recall he did have health problems and he may actually have been advised that stopping would be better for his health.
Or
He may have more stuff hanging over his head, the England incident is unlikely to be a 'one off error of judgement.'

Whatever else the announcement was a surprise.

Logicalman

Unfortunately, as others mentioned, he is in the 'Arry mold of managers that whilst being pretty good at their job, still bark at the moon in want of the good old days (to them) when managers walked on water, and were never questioned.

He'll be missed by some, and not by a lot more others I would suggest. As to whether he really is packing it in, he should (and so should 'Arry), as it won't get better for him, and the openings will diminish to those of 3rd and 4th level appointments.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I'd have preferred him over Felix and Kit tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

aaronmcguigan

You can 100% guarantee a Swansea , Brighton, Watford will be in major trouble next March and will be begging for Allardyce, then he'll be in a no lose situation. If he can't be bothered with a full season,  then so be it, just like what redknapp has just done

grandad

At least he won´t have the bother of taking all the brown envelopes to the recycling bin.
Where there's a will there's a wife

General

Quote from: Andy S on May 23, 2017, 10:57:54 PM
I can see exactly where he is coming from. He knows he can do it. There is nothing to prove So lets have a few holidays and good time while we still can. Just sounds so perfect to me.

You're right it does sound very sensible way to end career whilst you still can, but he's never really recovered from the balls up with England and I think there are probably still some lurking judgements within the game that have probably made the career and his future within the game much harder/untenable.

Logicalman

btw, how's Arry's knee doing these days?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.