News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Have we ever had a successful big money signing?

Started by valdeingruo, May 24, 2017, 02:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

Have we ever signed a player for decent money and have it be a down right success?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: andersons11 on May 24, 2017, 02:05:47 AM
Have we ever signed a player for decent money and have it be a down right success?

Some Greek fella was pretty good after we bought him. Not for us, but for the sides we loaned him to.

HatterDon

Considering where we were then and what he had achieved by that time, EDVS was a very big money signing.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Funky Fulham Dave

Here's a couple for you to be getting on with:

Allan Clarke, Fulham's record £35,000 signing in March 1966.

Paul Peschisolido, Fulham's first million pound signing, October 1997.

Chris Coleman, Fulham next big signing at 1.9 million pounds, November 1997.

049:gif

Funky Fulham Dave

Not forgetting Louis Saha, a snip at just over two million.

Holders

When Coleman was signed shortly after Micky Adams got the push he said "I wouldn't know how to spend £2m on a player - a couple of teams maybe". That was when the tide changed.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

Lighthouse

Not sure how successful EVDS was with us. Never really thought he was great for us. But Coleman and Pesch and Barry Hayles all did their bit to make the side successful and all cost a fair bit in those days.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

westcliff white

I thought EVDS was good for us and treated us right too when he left, worth the money for me
Every day is a Fulham day

nose

was Zamora a big money signing? he certainly was succesful IMO, best classic center forward I have seen for us.

filham

Quote from: nose on May 24, 2017, 11:26:59 AM
was Zamora a big money signing? he certainly was succesful IMO, best classic center forward I have seen for us.
Yes , Zamora had some dodgy moments with the fans but was a really good target man, could hit the target and was well worth the transfer fee.

Of course he was not as good as Brian McBride who cost much less and cannot be put in the big money signing class.

Burt

Quote from: filham on May 24, 2017, 11:34:15 AM
Yes , Zamora had some dodgy moments with the fans but was a really good target man, could hit the target and was well worth the transfer fee.

Of course he was not as good as Brian McBride who cost much less and cannot be put in the big money signing class.

Bobby was £4.8m... Is that "big" money?

Syd Cupp

Steed Malbranque -- A fee believed to be £4.5 million which in 2001 was a fairly big money signing.

jarv

Tom Cairney. Not huge money but money well spent. Lets hope he stays.

cmg

Quote from: Statto on May 24, 2017, 11:30:20 AM

only time since I've been supporting the club that we've signed a player who I could claim was the best in the world in his position. ok maybe he wasn't actually the best but you could at least say his name in a debate about it in the pub without sounding ridiculous.
Exactly the definition I use when taking about a 'world class' player.

The Bobby Zamora transfer fee was always a bit of a mystery (more so than usual) as John Paintsil (a success, at least in the short term) was also part of the deal.
We also got a decent wedge from QPR when he moved on.

An excellent deal for us. Although not as good as Ross McCormack - 42 goals, a decent profit and a dodged bullet.

filham

Quote from: Burt on May 24, 2017, 12:16:14 PM
Quote from: filham on May 24, 2017, 11:34:15 AM

Bobby was £4.8m... Is that "big" money?
I think Brian Mc Bride was £0.8m , Ivor was £4,000. Yes Zamora was big money.

HatterDon

I don't believe the club has verified the cost of any player -- transfer fee or salary -- in at least 10 years. So, wouldn't all this be conjecture.

Lighthouse

Quote from: HatterDon on May 24, 2017, 11:36:20 PM
I don't believe the club has verified the cost of any player -- transfer fee or salary -- in at least 10 years. So, wouldn't all this be conjecture.

But are any of us truly verified? Are we not just dust on the conjecture of space in an existence that has never really been anymore than a guess. Can anyone of us really be valued accurately? What would be the transfer value of a thought or an opinion freely given. But loaned out to a bigger or smaller idea thus making a whole new collection of ideas. We each and everyone of us continue to guess at the value with a whisper of a rumour or the release from the seller. All life is conjecture. Are we all not acting as a pontifex hoping to build a bridge between thought and opinion? So belief in our own value is enough to make us believe in the value of others.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 25, 2017, 12:36:35 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 24, 2017, 11:36:20 PM

But are any of us truly verified? Are we not just dust on the conjecture of space in an existence that has never really been anymore than a guess. Can anyone of us really be valued accurately? What would be the transfer value of a thought or an opinion freely given. But loaned out to a bigger or smaller idea thus making a whole new collection of ideas. We each and everyone of us continue to guess at the value with a whisper of a rumour or the release from the seller. All life is conjecture. Are we all not acting as a pontifex hoping to build a bridge between thought and opinion? So belief in our own value is enough to make us believe in the value of others.

or not