watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Still hurts.

Started by bog, May 24, 2017, 11:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Perhaps it is because I am getting old but it I find it still painful that we missed out on a trip to Wembley. :58:

092.gif

nose

Quote from: bog on May 24, 2017, 11:03:59 AM
Perhaps it is because I am getting old but it I find it still painful that we missed out on a trip to Wembley. :58:

092.gif

I do not think it is age, rather a measure of your love for the team.

For me the hurt was magnified because I felt in terms of football, we were the best team and so close to being unstoppable by mere mortals, like the rest of the division. we deserved, for that reason aloe, to qualify.

However, look at this way, if we get the correct investment AND Joca gets the players he wants within the budget, we should simply blow the division away next season and Wembley will only be needed for the FA Cup!

bog

All as you say Nose. I watched a bit of the Trophy Final, Macclesfield v York this morning and the thought of our style of football on that stage would have been such a day out. My Jezzard 9 shirt was already ironed perfectly...Never mind.

092.gif

Lighthouse

It hurts but then it was expected by me. I remember the last play offs, no wins, not a great performance. The FA and Europa cup finals just missing out.

It is good being constantly miserable because when there is something to be miserable about I am already in a lumpy uncomfortable chair. Expecting the chair to collapse.

Makes just sitting in the chair or reaching the play offs even better.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Syd Cupp

Yes it may hurt but if you look on the other side of the coin of positives.....

1 - We have a chance of winning the division unlike the premiership where avoiding relegation is a goal.
2 - Wont get beaten as much unlike in the prem at times and going to matches thinking a draw will be a good result.
3 - Not so many prima donna footballers falling over invisible legs and diving.
4 - Being last on Match of the day and listening to Shearer etc being bias.
5 - Another season for Joka to tweak the squad as in my opinion we aren't ready for the prem at the moment
6 - SATURDAY football not Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays or Mondays due to opponents being in Europe.
7 - NO MARTIN ATKINSON...!!!

St Eve

Quote from: Syd Cupp on May 24, 2017, 12:26:54 PM

1 - We have a chance of winning the division unlike the premiership where avoiding relegation is a goal.
2 - Wont get beaten as much unlike in the prem at times and going to matches thinking a draw will be a good result.
5 - Another season for Joka to tweak the squad as in my opinion we aren't ready for the prem at the moment
6 - SATURDAY football not Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays or Mondays due to opponents being in Europe.
Unfortunately there are no positives

nose

Quote from: Syd Cupp on May 24, 2017, 12:26:54 PM

Whilst I have to agree with nearly everything, point  4 is not much better because channel 5 hardly flatter us.
Even whilst i really wanted to go up it is true we were well away from having a squad likely to be able to compete and hopefully another season will help prepare us.

Woolly Mammoth

It's character building. Set backs make you stronger. We will come back stronger if this team club and manager are fighters. It's a case of measuring a man how he gets up off the canvas, not how he goes down.
Bounce back ability. It's times like this when you find out who the real Warriors, Leaders and Winners are. Not forgetting the Characters and the Fighters. 
Non Cessio, Never Surrender. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Mind you in the light of recent events what is a football match? What is it like to be the granddad of that innocent 8 year old kiddie?

092.gif

filham

Yes I too had an eye on Wembley, !975 seems a long way back and we could all do with something really memorable to come along again.

BedsFFC

Perhaps it is because I am getting old but it I find it still painful that we missed out on a trip to Wembley

Mind you in the light of recent events what is a football match? What is it like to be the granddad of that innocent 8 year old kiddie?

Honestly, you really could have done this all on your own in the confines of your own head

RaySmith

I try not to dwell on  Fulham's major defeats at the  last hurdle, and to move on as soon as the  final match whistle goes.

I've never watched highlights or a replay of the '75 Final, which I attended, after following us away  in the quarter and semi's, including replay - and have no wish to, nor the Europa Final, come to that, which I didn't attend, but watched live  on TV.

Similarly, I haven't watched the replay of the Reading game, especially not the disputed penalty award.

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on May 24, 2017, 04:07:21 PM
I try not to dwell on  Fulham's major defeats at the  last hurdle, and to move on as soon as the  final match whistle goes.

I've never watched highlights or a replay of the '75 Final, which I attended, after following us away  in the quarter and semi's, including replay - and have no wish to, nor the Europa Final, come to that, which I didn't attend, but watched live  on TV.

Similarly, I haven't watched the replay of the Reading game, especially not the disputed penalty award.
I am exactly the same on each of the three events you mentioned, just wanted to get each one out of my mind and move on as quickly as possible.

bog

All we wanted was a grand day out, black and white everywhere, going up and down Wembley way, feeling the atmosphere in the ground and going mad at the final whistle...just once.....

092.gif

ffc73

092.gif

I was 9 in '75, tickets were hard to come by and as my father and uncle went to Wembley, I was told by my mother "you can go next time".  Whilst it has become a family joke over the years, I share your pain.

Brace yourself for Monday.  It is going to be much worse then.  Try to avoid the news channels etc

bog

Quote from: FFC73 on May 24, 2017, 05:46:35 PM

092.gif

I was 9 in '75, tickets were hard to come by and as my father and uncle went to Wembley, I was told by my mother "you can go next time".  Whilst it has become a family joke over the years, I share your pain.

I am with you here FFC73. I was offered a ticket the night before but could not get off work, I too said ....'I will go next time'   fp.gif   It is painful aint it....

Brace yourself for Monday.  It is going to be much worse then.  Try to avoid the news channels etc

bog

FFC73, I cocked my reply up! I was offered a ticket the night before the '75 final but could not get off work  fp.gif (Why did I not have toothache? :doh:)...I to said   'don't worry I will go next time...' 
So you are not alone....

092.gif