watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Who was this player?

Started by bog, June 14, 2017, 01:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

On page 59 in edition 144 of TOOFIF there is a picture of Kamara carrying the ball after scoring against Manchester City and passing one of their players. I recall this player making his debut in about 2006 and being likened to be the next Colin Bell. He even had a similar posture, then he faded away. I did hear that he was something of waster. Can anyone recall his name?

Thank you and good night   

cmg

If this is the lad:

then it's Michael Johnson, I think. He fits your description - talent, drink issues, diagnosed mental problems, out of the game (apparently now an estate agent - I'll say no more.)

aaronmcguigan

Is this lad the last Mancunian to play for City?

bog

Thanks cmg. What a sad story.  When I first saw him he looked very special. If drink was the start of his downfall then even more sad. Would not be surprised if he was the last Mancunian to play for them. 

bog

Just read his wikipedia. Was blighted with injuries, must have been really frustrating, not all football's careers are rosy and wonderful.   

Mince n Tatties

Colin Bell......Now he was  proper footballer.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 04:03:43 PM

I am being serious for once here, but wasn't there an attempt to name one of the sides of the ground at Maine Road, after Colin Bell, in recognition of this great footballer. But the suggestion and idea of naming it the Bell End, was found to be inappropriate for obvious reasons.
Can you tell me what part of the ground was chosen to honour him by, or was an alternative location not found ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Mince and tatties, yes what a player. No fuss just got on with it. Started at Bury I think.  I will never forget in the World Cup 1970 v W Germany. Winning 2-0 then 2-3 down in extra time and he was flattened in the area and no penalty given.  Took me months to get over that loss.   :dft001:

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on June 14, 2017, 04:49:39 PM
Mince and tatties, yes what a player. No fuss just got on with it. Started at Bury I think.  I will never forget in the World Cup 1970 v W Germany. Winning 2-0 then 2-3 down in extra time and he was flattened in the area and no penalty given.  Took me months to get over that loss.   :dft001:

Same here, I thought that, my father went to that Tournemount, and he said what made him and the England supporters who shared the same coach/bus, when they departed the ground that they travelled the best part of 100 miles in a ramshackle vehicle in the dark, that sounded as though the engine was going to blow up, or the doors fall off along the bumpiest dirt track he has ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Certainly did not do his back any good which he had broken many years earlier.
092.gif

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 14, 2017, 04:49:29 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 04:03:43 PM

I am being serious for once here, but wasn't there an attempt to name one of the sides of the ground at Maine Road, after Colin Bell, in recognition of this great footballer. But the suggestion and idea of naming it the Bell End, was found to be inappropriate for obvious reasons.
Can you tell me what part of the ground was chosen to honour him by, or was an alternative location not found ?

Can't help you there Woolly,I know he was nicknamed Nijinsky after the great racehorse as he could run all day.
One of the most underrated footballers ever,quiet lad who never seeked limelight off the pitch.