more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Reasons to be cheerful

Started by Peabody, June 22, 2017, 08:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: filham on June 22, 2017, 12:13:02 PM
Oh dear , you may have started a debate here Peabody.

No doubt that we should all be thankful for the NHS and in particular for the wonderful medical staff that serve us so well, you rarely hear a bad word against them.

A question mark hangs over the admin though compared with say the sixties. In hospitals  for  there seems to be so many people at computer stations and walking around carrying pieces of paper instead of attending to the sick in the wards.

I would really like to see the staff/ patient ratio in a modern hospital compared to that of sixty years ago.
I work in a hospital sitting at a computer, walk around carrying pieces of paper, but if I didn't a lot of things would not happen,or it would make certain things much more difficult to accomplish. The biggest issue for the failures of the NHS are the people who present at a&e centres, it costs thousands every week to accommodate these people. I was in a&e recently when a young woman came in, she had pulled off a finger nail and was creating hell demanding to be seen, i guess it was hurting but a&e never.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

Quote from: alfie on June 23, 2017, 06:44:46 PM

No doubt that we should all be thankful for the NHS and in particular for the wonderful medical staff that serve us so well, you rarely hear a bad word against them.

A question mark hangs over the admin though compared with say the sixties. In hospitals  for  there seems to be so many people at computer stations and walking around carrying pieces of paper instead of attending to the sick in the wards.

I would really like to see the staff/ patient ratio in a modern hospital compared to that of sixty years ago.
I work in a hospital sitting at a computer, walk around carrying pieces of paper, but if I didn't a lot of things would not happen,or it would make certain things much more difficult to accomplish. The biggest issue for the failures of the NHS are the people who present at a&e centres, it costs thousands every week to accommodate these people. I was in a&e recently when a young woman came in, she had pulled off a finger nail and was creating hell demanding to be seen, i guess it was hurting but a&e never.

So what was the lady who had lost the finger nail, and was probably in pain and with a risk of infection, supposed to do. Surely she deserves five minutes attention from a senior nurse to bandage her finger, advise her and to a prescribe a pain killer,

The problem I suspect is that a simple case clogs up the complicated admin/computer systems as much as a major injury would.

filham

I am a little slow on the uptake these days and I now realise that I may have missed the main point in Alfies post.
I think what he was trying to say was that the main problem in medical admin are the patients and that if the number of patients were reduced to zero then the computer based admin system would be seen to work at 100% efficiency.

cottage expat

Having lived years in the U.S. I appreciate the NHS even more!

I had a three day stay in St Helier in the late 1960's and was quite impressed ( a few of my mates brought in cans of beer and the nurses turned a blind eye....not to mention that you could sneak in the odd smoke). The doctors were not bad either and sent me home in one piece. :022:

epsomraver

Quote from: filham on June 23, 2017, 09:24:28 PM

So what was the lady who had lost the finger nail, and was probably in pain and with a risk of infection, supposed to do. Surely she deserves five minutes attention from a senior nurse to bandage her finger, advise her and to a prescribe a pain killer,

The problem I suspect is that a simple case clogs up the complicated admin/computer systems as much as a major injury would.

With a  finger nail, she could have gone to her GP, she could have gone to a chemist and sought advice, she could have bought instead of getting for free a plaster and some antiseptic cream and done it herself, that is not what A and E was set up for but sadly as Alfie says, that is what it is used for.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: epsomraver on June 24, 2017, 11:06:49 AM

With a  finger nail, she could have gone to her GP, she could have gone to a chemist and sought advice, she could have bought instead of getting for free a plaster and some antiseptic cream and done it herself, that is not what A and E was set up for but sadly as Alfie says, that is what it is used for.

You are 100% correct there ER, and have hit the nail on the head, not the finger nail I hope.
But you are pointing the finger in the right direction, and have nailed the issue down.
That person should be embarrassed to go to A&E with that.
But sadly a generation of wimps has been created by a nanny state.
I remember once getting a large splinter jammed deep under my finger nail, which was really painful,  and after eventually removing it myself carefully with tweezers, and putting some antiseptic cream on it, it was still very painful and would not stop throbbing.
So I remedied it by taking a claw hammer to one of my thumb and bashing my thumb with it. The excruciating pain from my thumb quickly made me forget the pain from my finger nail, and I lived happily ever after.
So if ever that happens to you find a hammer, and any problem is resolved.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on June 23, 2017, 10:10:34 AM
The NHS tries and the people are hard working. But the medical profession is too reliant on the big pharmaceutical companies, consequently many patients die unnecessarily.

Unfortunately people don't listen to the scientists enough and money is wasted and more importantly, lives are lost. People are priced out of therapies due to incompetence when there is a cheaper cure. For example, a lot of diabetic patients are on synthetic "slow" or "fast" acting insulin which is expensive when they would be no worse off on a normal human insulin analogue which is 1/4 the price. When you go in to biomedical research you begin to see a lot wrong with both the medical and scientific systems. It's a real shame.

Reasons to be happy - We are going to win the league next season. :)

filham

Getting an appointment with a GP can be very difficult and time consuming, sometimes patients need attention quickly.
One thing that medical administrators fail to realise this that their patients also have important jobs and that time and broken appointments can as critical the them as it is to medical people.
Still don't accept that  A & E shouldn't be capable of turning round minor injuries quickly, especially as they offer a 24 hr service when GPs and chemists are not available.

gang

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 24, 2017, 12:02:33 PM

You are 100% correct there ER, and have hit the nail on the head, not the finger nail I hope.
But you are pointing the finger in the right direction, and have nailed the issue down.
I remember once getting a large splinter jammed deep under my finger nail, which was really painful,  and after eventually removing it myself carefully with tweezers, and putting some antiseptic cream on it, it was still very painful and would not stop throbbing.
So I remedied it by taking a claw hammer to one of my thumb and bashing my thumb with it. The excruciating pain from my thumb quickly made me forget the pain from my finger nail, and I lived happily ever after.

Brilliant Woolly I am in a bar in St Pauli tonight and your post has made the whole bar laugh.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: gang on June 25, 2017, 12:02:39 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 24, 2017, 12:02:33 PM

Brilliant Woolly I am in a bar in St Pauli tonight and your post has made the whole bar laugh.

Your welcome 👍⚽️🍺🐘
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.