watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

most beautiful UK football ground

Started by Barrett487, July 04, 2017, 01:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-aston-villa-manchester-united-13279305

Fulham, Aston Villa, Manchester United, Newcastle; who tops the list for the most beautiful UK football grounds

Fulham have come out on top in a list of the top 15 most beautiful UK football grounds, according to Shortlist.com.

Craven Cottage is renowned as one of the most picturesque grounds in the country, due to it's location on the banks of the River Thames, and the classic feel to the stadium itself.

Writer and Leyton Orient fan Dave Fawbert said of the ground: "Yes, they might be Orient's traditional cross-city rivals, but there's no doubt that the Cottage is a wonderful, charming old ground.

"Of course, its most famous feature is its pavilion – the present-day 'cottage' (the original was destroyed by fire in 1888) – but virtually all of it has a distinct aesthetic beauty, with both the pavilion and the Johnny Haynes Stand given Grade II listed status, while the gable on the Haynes stand is one of very few that still remain.

"Of course, not only that, but the stadium lies on the banks of the Thames; you can even watch the Boat Race go by. The club have considered leaving the Cottage a few times over the last couple of decades, but we hope they never do."

Watch the video above to see what other stadiums made the cut in the 15 most beautiful UK football grounds piece.

AlexW132

Funny, couldn't see the Shepherds Bush Ikea, aka Loftus Road anywhere! Or Scumford Bridge for that matter.

aaronmcguigan

Detest news items like this. Somewhere someone has managed to get paid for an opinion based on their opinion. Show me a vote, show more than one or two opinions. It's like a diary entry more than news.

AlexW132

Quote from: Newry FFC on July 04, 2017, 02:50:03 PM
Detest news items like this. Somewhere someone has managed to get paid for an opinion based on their opinion. Show me a vote, show more than one or two opinions. It's like a diary entry more than news.
Shortlist isn't really a news site, more Entertainment.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Burt

If you took location and surroundings in to account then Villa Park wouldn't get a look-in!!!

bill taylors apprentice

Theres some odd choices in that 15!

E.G.
Lincoln City's Sincil Bank is a dump, no character, poor facilities, in a run down area and years of neglect.

Forests City ground has had most of its character modernised out of it.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Holders on July 04, 2017, 03:48:22 PM
Arbroath

I knew the groundsman here. His biggest problem was sea gull number twos trumped only by passing Canada geese number twos.
You'll need that in a pub quiz one day.

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Carborundum

Well they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Some of these seem a bit random.

What's missing?  Well the Emirates is a pretty extraordinary structure and for my tastes they have the wrong St James' Park - the one in Exeter clings on to the side of a hill (like pretty much everything else in that city) and is quite special.  Brentford's ground is great too - I think it's really beautiful when a ground sits nestled in between a terraced housing development - it perhaps signals that someone a long time ago decided that football was really important to a community.  Quite right too.  Maybe I'm just over-romanticising it though.

Of the grounds that are no more Shrewsbury's Gay Meadow would surely have been close to the top of this list. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AlexW132 on July 04, 2017, 02:42:47 PM
Funny, couldn't see the Shepherds Bush Ikea, aka Loftus Road anywhere! Or Scumford Bridge for that matter.

If beauty is only skin deep, QPR's ground must be inside out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

Arundel, in the Sussex county league, is very nice. In the shadow of the castle, it was many years ago I played there so not sure if it exists now. Perhaps I should google it.

Holders

Quote from: jarv on July 05, 2017, 12:47:39 PM
Arundel, in the Sussex county league, is very nice. In the shadow of the castle, it was many years ago I played there so not sure if it exists now. Perhaps I should google it.

If it's the same as the cricket pitch that's where it is.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria