watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Money what money

Started by Andy S, July 08, 2017, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Ok l understand that it is none of my business how much the club spends on new players but every time a player moves in or out it is at the insistence of the club that the cost is secret. Why? I know I don't need to know but almost every other club divulges the price

aaronmcguigan

1. You don't need to know
2. It stops the player being judged a failure or a hero before he's kicked a ball
3. Stops a player from having to justify his fee
4. Stops direct comparisons with other players who cost thee same price
5. Markets and currencies fluctuate.
6. Add ins, incentives, clauses all form part of a deal, so accurate price is not known
7. Stops other teams from getting competitive advantage. If clubs know we have no money left, they will strengthen their hand when submitting bids for our players
8. Maintains confidentiality , builds trust and relationships with other team
9. Can potentially give us an advantage when other clubs don't know our spending power
10. More undisclosed bids hide the true market value and fluctuations.
11. If we can't compete financially with other teams, keep our financial position private and disclosed only when publishing accounts
12. Sell on fees and percentages, signing on fees also come into play. These will be incorporated into few so the fee paid will not always go directly to the club

I'm sure there's plenty other reasons. Main one being number 1. We are supporters of a club , not shareholders.

cmg

Quote from: Andy S on July 08, 2017, 12:05:36 PM
Ok l understand that it is none of my business how much the club spends on new players but every time a player moves in or out it is at the insistence of the club that the cost is secret. Why? I know I don't need to know but almost every other club divulges the price

Excellent reasons posted above.

BUT, in fact it is definitely not the case that "almost every other club divulges the price".

A glance here:
http://www.skysports.com/football/team-transfers-championship

shows, in fact, that of all the (generally only a couple per team so far, so no need to panic!) transfers so far completed by Championship clubs only ONE (Bristol City broke the club record) has been confirmed by the club. Even Wolves have said only that Neves has broken the club transfer record without saying what that was, although that obviously helps with making a good guess.

It maybe SEEMS that only we announce fees as 'undisclosed', because we read of our transfers in our own Official site, but read of other transfers in the papers, who often put their own (not necessarily inaccurate) guesses in.

filham

Somehow the media seem to get enough information to put an estimate on our transfers and no one ever seems to question the figures.
However it is understandable that our modern management would not want us to know that we were prepared tp pay a reported £9m for Martin  whereas in the old days we paid a reported £4k for Ivor. These figures would not be safe in our hands we may use them for comparison purpose and for checking on Stats. Boy's recommendations.

aaronmcguigan

Case in point being Malone and Jozabed. Some say we've got nearly 10m from the two sales yet neither sale price was disclosed. Both probably involve incentives and lower upfront fees , with one involving euro. Some reported Jozabed at £4.5m, others went as low as €3.2m. We won't know but crucially neither will other clubs when negotiating for Jozabed and Malone replacements

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: filham on July 08, 2017, 12:54:46 PM
Somehow the media seem to get enough information to put an estimate on our transfers and no one ever seems to question the figures.
However it is understandable that our modern management would not want us to know that we were prepared tp pay a reported £9m for Martin  whereas in the old days we paid a reported £4k for Ivor. These figures would not be safe in our hands we may use them for comparison purpose and for checking on Stats. Boy's recommendations.

Leaks will happen to force a sale, call a bluff, gauge interest from other suitors. There will also be info on valuations or previous sales in publicly available accounts

Asotosyios

Quote from: Newry FFC on July 08, 2017, 12:58:37 PM
Case in point being Malone and Jozabed. Some say we've got nearly 10m from the two sales yet neither sale price was disclosed. Both probably involve incentives and lower upfront fees , with one involving euro. Some reported Jozabed at £4.5m, others went as low as €3.2m. We won't know but crucially neither will other clubs when negotiating for Jozabed and Malone replacements

Not sure how accurate that is, but Transfermarkt shows Malone sale as £3.32m and Jozabed's £2.98m.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-fulham/transfers/verein/931/saison_id/2017

f321ffc

Quote from: Newry FFC on July 08, 2017, 12:23:39 PM
2. It stops the player being judged a failure or a hero before he's kicked a ball
6. Add ins, incentives, clauses all form part of a deal, so accurate price is not known
7. Stops other teams from getting competitive advantage. If clubs know we have no money left, they will strengthen their hand when submitting bids for our players
9. Can potentially give us an advantage when other clubs don't know our spending power
11. If we can't compete financially with other teams, keep our financial position private and disclosed only when publishing accounts
12. Sell on fees and percentages, signing on fees also come into play. These will be incorporated into few so the fee paid will not always go directly to the club

I'm sure there's plenty other reasons. Main one being number 1. We are supporters of a club , not shareholders.

13. Never submit your tax returns until your accountant has cooked I mean looked at the books. 064.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Southcoastffc

Quote from: f321ffc on July 08, 2017, 01:37:12 PM

13. Never submit your tax returns until your accountant has cooked I mean looked at the books. 064.gif
I think you mean 'present the financial position in a light appropriate to the person(s) receiving the information' 😉
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

I use to use a Chef as my accountant.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

All very interesting but I would like to know. The same way I would like to know the term of the contract, attendance, revenue, advertising deals etc etc

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: St Eve on July 08, 2017, 02:37:02 PM

All very interesting but I would like to know. The same way I would like to know the term of the contract, attendance, revenue, advertising deals etc etc

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02114486/filing-history

The club publishes this information every year, but if you're looking for specific player breakdowns, terms and conditions of sponsor deals then that naturally will be kept for those that need to know.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 08, 2017, 01:50:13 PM
With instruction to avoid too many leeks no doubt.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on July 08, 2017, 06:36:18 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 08, 2017, 01:50:13 PM
With instruction to avoid too many leeks no doubt.

He has saved my bacon many times.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.