watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-1950 Schoolboy international

Started by bog, July 12, 2017, 04:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I was looking through the programme for the 1950 Schoolboy international at Wembley, England 8 Scotland 2. A certain John N Haynes from Edmonton announced his arrival with a stunning display that day. Where as all the other lads were about 5ft 10ins and weighed about 10 stone at least our Johnny was 5ft 1in and weighed in at 7st 5lbs. And he went on to dominate the whole match. Oh how I would love to see footage of that game.

Thank you and good night 

092.gif   

Mince n Tatties

filham

The brilliance of Hayne was was there for all to see at a very young age.
The amazing thing is that Fulham managed to sign him and hold on to him until he retired twenty years later.
I am sure a number of peoplle contributed to this but a lot of the credit must be given to Tommy Trinder in making Hayne's the country's first £100 per week footballer.

cmg

The game was actually broadcast live, which made JH an overnight sensation but, alas, there was no video in those days.

It was a very productive England side. Apart from Haynes, Eddie Clamp, Ray Parry and Frank Blunstone all went on to full caps and Ron Cope had a successful career at Manchester United.

bog

Apparently that day he was breathtaking, mind you he always invariably was. I also have the programme for the return up in Glasgow a month later. The pen picture of Johnny includes the line 'This natural ball player is guid in small bulk. Smallest ball in the team today'.
We owe his coming to us solely with Tosh as he was he school mate. Without Tosh's influence what would the side have done then? Later Alan Mullery mainly came to Fulham so he play in the same line up as Johnny.

092.gif

bog

Quote from: cmg on July 12, 2017, 04:58:34 PM
The game was actually broadcast live, which made JH an overnight sensation but, alas, there was no video in those days.

It was a very productive England side. Apart from Haynes, Eddie Clamp, Ray Parry and Frank Blunstone all went on to full caps and Ron Cope had a successful career at Manchester United.

Spot on cmg.

bog

Here is a little question for you....

Name another future Fulham inside forward who, a few years later, was also a schoolboy international....

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

jarv

My only attendance at a youth match (by the time they were not called schoolboys any more) was at England 4 Scotland 5 (Paul McStay was brilliant and got 3 I think). England had a big centre forward who scored 3 also and went on to play division 1 but I can't remember his name or which club.  He was never a superstar but a thoroughly decent professional player.

cmg

Quote from: jarv on July 12, 2017, 09:04:55 PM
My only attendance at a youth match (by the time they were not called schoolboys any more) was at England 4 Scotland 5 (Paul McStay was brilliant and got 3 I think). England had a big centre forward who scored 3 also and went on to play division 1 but I can't remember his name or which club.  He was never a superstar but a thoroughly decent professional player.

That was Paul Rideout. As you say, not a big career but decent at a number of clubs including in Italy.
Paul McStay was a super player. Should, maybe, have tried his hand outside Scotland.

Can't think of the answer to Bog's question.
I thought Alf Stokes played for England schools, but it says he was born in Hackney.
Derek Lampe was born in Edmonton but, of course, he was a centre-half

filham

Quote from: bog on July 12, 2017, 05:09:15 PM
Here is a little question for you....

Name another future Fulham inside forward who, a few years later, was also a schoolboy international....

092.gif
Tony Barton?

bog

His name was Brian Sullivan. He did not play that often, sadly I think he is no longer with us. Many things were expected of Brian but he never quite made it.

I saw one game that John Scissons was exceptional, on the other wing was David Pleat. A massive crowd at Wembley for that.   

092.gif