watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Wimbledon advice needed.

Started by Riversider, July 12, 2017, 04:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

If you simply wanted to gain access to Wimbledon to sit on Henman Hill or visit an outside Court does this involve queuing overnight ?
Or can you turn up at a reasonable time and get in ?
Wouldn't even mind getting there for late afternoon/evening one day in the first week or the second Monday next year, does anybody have any Wimbledon experience ?

Mince n Tatties

According to Olive Braithwaite of Canvey Island a well known fortune teller,the world ends on 29th Feb next year when the fifth star from Uranus catapults into the earth at a trillion miles an hour,so I'm afraid Wimbledon will be cancelled next year.

Riverside

For the queue tickets in Centre Court and No 1 Court you will almost always need to queue overnight . For the out side courts it will vary . Yesterday raining and women's I walk straight in . Most days you will get in queuing at worst a few hours .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riversider

Thanks for that Riverside, I'm going to give that a go next year.

snarks

I normally go to the first day, and aim to get there at 6.00am to join the queue, it means I get in, a couple of years ago those arriving at 8.30 didn't get in until people left as it was full. The later in the tournament you go the less there is in the outside courts.

Riversider

Quote from: snarks on July 12, 2017, 05:53:09 PM
I normally go to the first day, and aim to get there at 6.00am to join the queue, it means I get in, a couple of years ago those arriving at 8.30 didn't get in until people left as it was full. The later in the tournament you go the less there is in the outside courts.

Other than the two main courts can you just about go to any outside court that you wish, or do you need a ticket ?

Lighthouse

Nowadays to get in to see the outside Courts, 3-18 are available and unreserved for cash only. One per person in the queue. The first week is the best time to go because you do get to see some top players on the outside courts. Some of the smaller courts are standing only.

I remember in them olden days, mid 70s I queued up from about 8. Still managed to get in and see Arthur Ashe and Billy Jean King on the outside courts. My friends had tickets for Centre Court that they won in the ballot a year earlier. When the main court crowd begin to leave you may be lucky enough to pick up their tickets again if you care and are willing to queue.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Twig

The outside courts that you can go on using your ground pass are courts 4 to 18 only.  Even for these you need to be in the queue sometime soon after 6 am to be sure of getting in. Otherwise you wait for returns. First week is better than second week unless you are happy just to sit on the hill and watch a giant TV screen.

Jamie88

Quote from: Twig on July 12, 2017, 07:47:33 PM
The outside courts that you can go on using your ground pass are courts 4 to 18 only.  Even for these you need to be in the queue sometime soon after 6 am to be sure of getting in. Otherwise you wait for returns. First week is better than second week unless you are happy just to sit on the hill and watch a giant TV screen.

You can get into court 3 as well, no reserved seating

The Cravenette

I have queued up twice previously and arrived about 7 am. It is v organised , you get a card as you enter the park where the queue is with number on so you know you will get in. There's plenty to see on the outside courts as others have said. Even the senior doubles has some big names in the 2nd week.
I was lucky enough to get centre court tickets on the opening day in the ballot this year. It's a great day out.

jarv

Many years ago (Nastase, McEnroe era) I used to go every year on the first day. In those days, first day was men only playing. I always got there reasonably early ( about 2 hours) and never failed to get into court 2. I considered  that the best because there were several seeded players on and no mismatches like centr or number one. ( who wants to see a no hoper get wiped out in 3 straight sets). The one match I recall was Nastase v Roscoe Tanner ( a big server in those days).

The best bit was, once you have your seat it is yours for the day and you can leave at any time to wander the outer courts to watch other matches if you wish.

Then there was the price....6 or 7 quid. What a bargain for a full days sporting entertainment. Happy days. Of course that was the 70s so my guess is it is now, like any other sport, an opportunity for them to rip us off at every turn.

Finally, the girls and the beer. Loads of lovely girls wandering around and the beer was the same price at the tent as in the pub up the road.. 082.gif

jarv

I see several of you had the same experiences as me, back in the 70s.. :group hug:

Twig

Quote from: Jamie88 on July 12, 2017, 07:55:29 PM

Quote from: Jamie88 on July 12, 2017, 07:55:29 PM

Are you absolutely sure Jamie? My daughter went last week and specifically told me that she could only get on courts 4 downwards.

Jonaldiniho 88

Haha! I have so say, I did think you were having a conversation with yourself at first.

Oh did you Jon?

Yes I did.

Riversider

Is the queue for the outside courts separate from the queue for the show courts ?