watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MLS Cup Runup thread

Started by pettyfog, September 10, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettyfog

The MLS race is probably now getting interesting enough to get attention here.
Pre-WC, it looked like LAG was gonna take the League in a walk as they started 10-0-2, and the Crew had a problem start.  
Crew caught up last week and on Thursday, RSL came up even at 44 pts with a draw against Seattle.

Fourth in the race is pre-2010 dark-horse Dallas who are proving that college coaches can still make a difference when given time to put quality teams together.

Here's the season week by week points chart after last WE courtesy Crewbeat, sorry for fullsize:
http://a.imageshack.us/img835/1121/20100907fullchart.png

The Saturday Crew at LAG match is now more important than ever, so much so that Beckham pushed to get declared off the injury list to make the game roster.

However NOT so important that it would be carried on national TV.

Interesting facts:
Alltime series: Crew lead 15-10-8; series is even 7-7-4 in LA.

Since the start of the 2009 season, Columbus and Los Angeles have amassed the most points in the league. The Crew have 93 points while the Galaxy have 92. Real Salt Lake (83) are the closest competitor and the only other team with more than 80 points in that span.

Also: Since this is a battle of recent MLS 'Powers' you might expect a lot of hard-edge banter on the MB's.  Not happening because:  
LAG doesnt see the rivalry aspects for a non-Big City team.
Lots of Sigi fans still in LA, they dumped him, Crew got him. Not the other way 'round.
LAG supporter club ACB was unofficial hosts for Crew Nordecke fans in 08 and many wore Yellow for the MLS Cup game against NY. Even for this game, ACB invited the Crew fans around for the pre-game tailgate.

My pre-game prognosis:
Not full of confidence for a Crew win.  LA wants to prove the early season wasn't a fluke, Crew seem to rely more on 'steady as it goes and look for something to happen to win out at the end.

I suspect it all hinges on GBS' attitude.  He would LOVE it if Beckham was watching from the bench.  Might even inspire Lenhart and Renteria.

HatterDon

thanks, Jim. These kinds of posts are why I'm missing FulhamUSA.com so much.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

Too bad Crew - LAG wont be televised.  Would've looked forward to watching that one.  MLS really needs more games televised.  It seems every time that I find the time and remember on the right day (Thurs. and Sat?) to watch some MLS, it's two teams that I dont have much interest in.  Although I did enjoy the Sounders - RSL match last night.  Good to see Kasey play again, he is still lookin' pretty sharp.  To win over Americans to soccer and MLS, people need to be able to follow and consistently watch their team or a team and that's just not possible, at least where I am.  Do local Columbus channels carry all of the Crew games?  When Cleveland had the City Stars, Sports Time Ohio carried every game, but I dont get that channel now with Direct TV.

HatterDon

I hope the Crew look better than they looked against DCU. I have to say that was the least skillful match I've seen in several years.

pettyfog

Quote from: duffbeer on September 10, 2010, 04:15:54 PM
Too bad Crew - LAG wont be televised.  Would've looked forward to watching that one.  MLS really needs more games televised.  ...When Cleveland had the City Stars, Sports Time Ohio carried every game, but I dont get that channel now with Direct TV.

-Almost everyone with cable in OH might watch ONN for nearly all Crew Games.  Downside: ONN distributes signal via streaming. Roughly same def as std Youtube.

- Even LA area cant watch live.  FSN local has it on 2 hour delay.

BUT -get this- ESPN UK is carrying Galaxy v Crew LIVE. Both std def and HD.  So you brits will want to set your DVR/alarms for 3:30 AM.  
You  can watch Chris Birchall { Stafford} take  on Adam Moffat {Glasgow} and Andy Iro {Liverpool} while Beckham watches from the bench.

I'm sure.
----------------------------------------------------
Don, Crew has a bad habit of playing at the competition's level.  If you watched the CCL game you saw some pretty midfield play.  What happens when space is given.

pettyfog

Unfortunately my worst fears were played out last night.  Crew got their asses handed to them.

I hope you Brits appreciated the "Beckham Returns!" broadcast because that was the theme of the camera coverage. We got to see every single stretch and warm-up move David made, starting with him sitting on the bench and becoming MORE and more Becks-centric as he stretched his tendons before coming in the game.
Note I ain't bitter here, because I AM a Beckham fan of sorts, I think I understand the common points he shares with my favorite 'star', GBS.
So...
My blood pressure remained remarkably steady as I realized that there was no hope for the Crew.. this was Galaxy's party and it was almost as if the rosters and game was scripted ala WWE.  Starting with Dilly Duka being in the start. He's a SoCal 'Golden Child' rookie signing.  Sorta as if Warzycha was told to play him because he was costing the Crew 200K a year {!!!} and we should get moneysworth.

I said at the first of the season, as LAG was running up the points they were the best team in MLS.  I think they are still the best and, 'showbiz' aside, last night proved it.
But that doesn't alter the fact that there's a certain smell extent.  The Crew did not play their best players in their best roles.
It was good to see Beckham on the pitch and looking fit.  But I wonder why the Crew didn't APPEAR to have gotten up for this game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of note, in case you were wondering.  Folks here can testify I was paying attention to every bit of the Wolves match.  As a sort of newby on FoF I hesitated to declare I wasnt worried when Wolves scored first.  Just from finger in the wind, I reckoned FFC would find a way to pull it out. Kudos to Hughes for putting EJ in to go for the win.  It's his most effective role:  Just worrying the opponent's D.

Otherwise, you guessed it, EJ belongs back in MLS or in Cokes. 

RidgeRider

Nice to see you posting on the Crew again Petty. Just like old times. I have seen Zero MLS matches this year, so I can't add anything other than I hope SJ makes it into the playoffs and then next year I become a Timbers fan again since they were the first pro team I ever followed as a yoof.

pettyfog

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 14, 2010, 01:57:45 AM
Nice to see you posting on the Crew again Petty. Just like old times. I have seen Zero MLS matches this year, so I can't add anything other than I hope SJ makes it into the playoffs....

Response:

ACTUALLY.. I tried to post on MLS from a Crew fan.. sometimes Fulham fan.. perspective. Like I said, how many Crew fans you think actually WROTE on a disinterested site that LAG was the best team in MLS.

1.  Yep, most fans need some sort of a connection to follow any sport team. Exceptions generally prove the rule.  But just look on here why so many yanks follow Fulham: McBride. Where did McBride play for 8 years? So much for Franek's jibes.  And how many of us would be Fulham fans if McBride had stayed in Germany.
- Do a search on Crew fans STILL of the opinion that McBride did the right thing by insisting on the Fire getting his rights.

2. Unlike many I see the Timbers and Whitecaps coming up as a real positive thing, building on Seattle's success at establishing fan base.  Hopefully it's at least half as effective.  Better than NY's method.

3. As opposed to ChivasUSA which was a totally manufactured entity. And only served to prove what DOESNT work.  Note: When did Chivas actually THREATEN? When Bob Bradley managed them.  Think about that. In context of Toronto recently firing Preki  AND Mo Johnston.
- ChivasWhoosa is currently trying to capture magic in a bottle by finding a new ground. Stadium sharing doesnt just fail with NFL co-tenants {Sounders exception only proves the rule}.. Or it takes more than a nice soccer stadium.. your choice.

Finally, as I've tried to point out, there's lots of back-story in the current race:
FC Dallas. Performance quality on the cheap.
RSL. Pure quality. Again, superior management will win out in time. {Toronto TAKE NOTE!}

DCU's fall from the sublime to the ridiculous.  Takes more than rabid fans {right, Toronto?}. Local government apathy ALSO plays a role.  Move to Baltimore, quick, and dont look back.  DC is a cesspool in many more ways than you can count.

Lesson: JUST like teams in other leagues and sports: Ownership, Fanbase, Front Office, Field and game Coaching, Locker room, local media. All play a part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, for now:

Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Deion Sanders, Chad Ochocinco

Connections. Other than the obvious.

duffbeer

I've decided to be a Crew fan.  Reasons:  1) location is the best for me, 2) the champions league game cheating by Azul (I think that was the team) and the officials got me riled up, 3) I percieve a general lack of respect for the Crew by the powers that be which is common for small market teams and which I enjoy combating 4) McBride, and I like several of their current players.

I must admit though this is still more of a mental decision as I'm having trouble pulling my heart away from the Dynamo - even though I was never a 100% fan.  Mr. Ching is a powerful force, but Holden and DeRo are gone.

Steve_orino

I can't afford tickets & sitting on the west side of Pizza Hut Park is miserable in 100 degree weather but I keep up with the local team best I can...

FCDallas has had a great year!  Once again Ahn-Ree makes a nuisance of himself...kicking a ball unncecessarily and injuring the FCD Keeper, Hartmann, an MVP candidate.  If the injury isn't too severe and he returns, I think Dallas can make a big push in the playoffs.  His communication to the back 4 is huge! (When my boy & I went to their practice, I remember pointing that out to him)  Sala can play a couple of games but I don't trust him for the playoffs. 

Thierry Henry and Kevin Hartman Incident
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

finnster01

I do not think this thread has enough of 3-letter acronyms yet (e.g. MLS, LAG, FCD, GBS, ONN, ACB etc.)

I have no clue what you are all talking about (not that I think you care what I think anyways) but at least make an attempt to hide the funny handshakes and make life a little simpler for the average limey trying to make a living in the "new world". Thank You.

Cheers,
:beer:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

duffbeer

Finn, most of us dont understand a lot of what Pettyfog writes and I'm pretty sure he could care less.  Despite that I always read his posts.  As for the acronymns MLS = major league soccer (pretty sure you know that), FCD = football club dallas (dont they know its soccer down there in football manialand), LAG = LA Galaxy, GBS = Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Argentinian star of Columbus Crew), ONN = some media source in Ohio so you need not be bothered,  ACB = have no freaking clue perhaps some California flakes got their ABC's mixed up.  

Steve_orino

Quote from: finnster01 on September 18, 2010, 01:40:39 AM
I do not think this thread has enough of 3-letter acronyms yet (e.g. MLS, LAG, FCD, GBS, ONN, ACB etc.)

I have no clue what you are all talking about (not that I think you care what I think anyways) but at least make an attempt to hide the funny handshakes and make life a little simpler for the average limey trying to make a living in the "new world". Thank You.

Cheers,
:beer:

:011: Euro Snob! :doh:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on September 18, 2010, 03:31:09 AM
Finn, most of us dont understand a lot of what Pettyfog writes and I'm pretty sure he could care less.  Despite that I always read his posts.  As for the acronymns MLS = major league soccer (pretty sure you know that), FCD = football club dallas (dont they know its soccer down there in football manialand), LAG = LA Galaxy, GBS = Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Argentinian star of Columbus Crew), ONN = some media source in Ohio so you need not be bothered,  ACB = have no freaking clue perhaps some California flakes got their ABC's mixed up.  

Thx Miss Duff/Cleveland,

My dear lady, that was actually quite helpful!!  :045: I was actually contemplating to go and watch a NY Red Bull game depending on ticket supply from my fav Irish bar owner. He should be able to fish some tickets. I wouldn't pay at the gate though...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Are you calling me a flake?  :dft012:

RidgeRider

I am actually really looking forward to next season when my childhood team comes back to the top league, that is the Portland Timbers. Until then I will continue to support the Quakes, but have to admit, this year I have not been following them very closely. I see they are on 36 points with 23 games played and playing much better soccer than last year's poor season.

Finn will be a raving Red Bull's fan before long, just watch.  :dft012:

duffbeer

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 19, 2010, 04:08:15 PM
Finn, most of us dont understand a lot of what Pettyfog writes and I'm pretty sure he could care less.  Despite that I always read his posts.  As for the acronymns MLS = major league soccer (pretty sure you know that), FCD = football club dallas (dont they know its soccer down there in football manialand), LAG = LA Galaxy, GBS = Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Argentinian star of Columbus Crew), ONN = some media source in Ohio so you need not be bothered,  ACB = have no freaking clue perhaps some California flakes got their ABC's mixed up. 

Based on the little I know about you, I dont think so.  Regardless, though, there is nothing wrong with being a flake.  I have some friends who are flakes.  Do you know what ACB means?

duffbeer

Quote from: finnster01 on September 18, 2010, 06:38:12 PM

Thx Miss Duff/Cleveland,

My dear lady, that was actually quite helpful!!  :045: I was actually contemplating to go and watch a NY Red Bull game depending on ticket supply from my fav Irish bar owner. He should be able to fish some tickets. I wouldn't pay at the gate though...

Mr. Finn, for the sake of that Irish bar owner (and me, Maureen ONeill is the name and they dont get more Irish) give Henry hell.  Bring a big Irish flag or something.  But even worse is that Rafa Marques from Mehico, evil personified.  Sorry, Finn, I know you support the Yankees and probably want to support the red bulls but NYC = Gotham City.  There is certainly good there but there is evil too so beware.  THe evil forces try to make inroads through the sports teams.  Luckily for you the Knicks and Nets were unable to sell their souls to Lebron

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on September 20, 2010, 12:30:55 AM
Quote from: RidgeRider on September 19, 2010, 04:08:15 PM
Finn, most of us dont understand a lot of what Pettyfog writes and I'm pretty sure he could care less.  Despite that I always read his posts.  As for the acronymns MLS = major league soccer (pretty sure you know that), FCD = football club dallas (dont they know its soccer down there in football manialand), LAG = LA Galaxy, GBS = Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Argentinian star of Columbus Crew), ONN = some media source in Ohio so you need not be bothered,  ACB = have no freaking clue perhaps some California flakes got their ABC's mixed up. 

Based on the little I know about you, I dont think so.  Regardless, though, there is nothing wrong with being a flake.  I have some friends who are flakes.  Do you know what ACB means?

ACB is the Angel City Brigade which is a fan club of the Galaxy. Fog is in deep with the Crew and goings on in the MLS...I guess he assumes we are there with him.  Right Fog?  :dft009:

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on September 18, 2010, 06:38:12 PM

Thx Miss Duff/Cleveland,

My dear lady, that was actually quite helpful!!  :045: I was actually contemplating to go and watch a NY Red Bull game depending on ticket supply from my fav Irish bar owner. He should be able to fish some tickets. I wouldn't pay at the gate though...

And I'm sure, in response, you'll go onto the other side and get your fellow Brits -- not to mention the Aussies -- to footnote their at times incomprehensible jargon.

Just kidding, Mr. Finn.