watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MLS Cup Runup thread

Started by pettyfog, September 10, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

David Beckham walks into a sperm donor bank.

"I'd like to donate some sperm," he says to the receptionist.

"Certainly, Sir," she replies. "Have you donated before?"

"Yes," replies Beckham, "you should have my details on your computer."

"Oh, Yes, I've found your details," says the receptionist, "but I see you're going to need help. Shall I call Posh Spice for you?"

"Why do I need help to donate sperm?" asks Beckham.

"Well," the receptionist replies, "it says on your record that you're a useless winker."
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

pettyfog

Quote from: finnster01 on September 21, 2010, 12:45:48 AM
"Well," the receptionist replies, "it says on your record that you're a useless winker."

Now THAT's funny. Even though I'm a big believer in the Beckham effect.

Sorry for all the initials especially 'ACB' but I tend to write 'Stream of Consciousness' as Don and Maureen can verify.  And as Don said, I'm not alone in trying others patience with those 'familiar' acronyms and such.

All well and good for wanting comp tickets to try out the RB but folks shouldnt say they're a sport fan if they arent willing to pony up some cash now and then to support the local club.

Even Maureen finally decided to do that..
----------------------------------------------------
Speaking of:
Quote from: duffbeer on September 17, 2010, 02:15:32 PM
I've decided to be a Crew fan.  Reasons:  1) location is the best for me, 2) the champions league game cheating by Azul (I think that was the team) and the officials got me riled up, 3) I percieve a general lack of respect for the Crew by the powers that be which is common for small market teams and which I enjoy combating 4) McBride, and I like several of their current players.

Heh... how topical!
Looky, Mo. The Cleveland franchise idea just wont die.

BigSoccer: Cleveland MLS still plugging away

finnster01

Quote from: pettyfog on September 21, 2010, 01:18:10 PM

Sorry for all the initials especially 'ACB' but I tend to write 'Stream of Consciousness' as Don and Maureen can verify.  And as Don said, I'm not alone in trying others patience with those 'familiar' acronyms and such.

All well and good for wanting comp tickets to try out the RB but folks shouldnt say they're a sport fan if they arent willing to pony up some cash now and then to support the local club.

Speaking of:
I've decided to be a Crew fan.  Reasons:  1) location is the best for me, 2) the champions league game cheating by Azul (I think that was the team) and the officials got me riled up, 3) I percieve a general lack of respect for the Crew by the powers that be which is common for small market teams and which I enjoy combating 4) McBride, and I like several of their current players.

Heh... how topical!

Fair point Mr Fog,
but just like buying a car, I like to take it for a test drive first and I don't pay for that. And watching a commercial on TV is not sufficient either.

Besides, I am in agreement with Ms Duff, why donate money to a club that buys cheats such as Thierry Henry?

I am actually more curious about checking out the stadium, the experience, and the crowd more than anything else.

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on September 23, 2010, 12:46:00 PM
Quote from: pettyfog on September 21, 2010, 01:18:10 PM

Speaking of:

Heh... how topical!

Fair point Mr Fog,
but just like buying a car, I like to take it for a test drive first and I don't pay for that. And watching a commercial on TV is not sufficient either.

Besides, I am in agreement with Ms Duff, why donate money to a club that buys cheats such as Thierry Henry?

I am actually more curious about checking out the stadium, the experience, and the crowd more than anything else.

as for the experience and the crowd, from what I've been able to see, you'll get more of a "European feel" at Columbus or Toronto than in NY. The Nordeke nutsos are as colorful as any English group.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Mr Hatter,

You know what, I am pretty sure I actually will take in a Red Bull game before the season ends. Just need to coordinate with the Fulham schedule etc.

An when I do, I will post an unabridged version of 'Tales of a MLS virgin' here on the site describing my experiences. And I will honestly be going in with an open mind and describe the whole experience as objective as I possibly can. I have no idea of what to expect really.

I am actually looking forward to it, I just have to find the right weekend schedule wise. I have a lot on my plate in October

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on September 23, 2010, 04:07:17 PM
Mr Hatter,

You know what, I am pretty sure I actually will take in a Red Bull game before the season ends. Just need to coordinate with the Fulham schedule etc.

An when I do, I will post an unabridged version of 'Tales of a MLS virgin' here on the site describing my experiences. And I will honestly be going in with an open mind and describe the whole experience as objective as I possibly can. I have no idea of what to expect really.

I am actually looking forward to it, I just have to find the right weekend schedule wise. I have a lot on my plate in October

Good deal, brave sir. And bear in mind what I've said to many folks:

1. The pace is slower than the Prem. This is not due to lack of technical skill, however. I think if any side in the Prem had to play July matches in Kansas City or Dallas, they'd slow down a bit also.

2. Because there's no relegation, matches are more end-to-end. Think cup tie more than league match.

We do have quite a few very skillful players playing in MLS, but I think you'll be find with what you've seen because, unlike a lot of the Americans who denigrate the league, you've seen football that ISN'T The Premier League or serieA, and most Americans only have that to compare it to.

ENJOY!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

Checkout the sticky MLS PettySpeak thread for all acronyms ... just for our newest country cousins  ... add as you wish, I'll do cleanup every now and again.

Perhaps we can edumacate those Brits than wander too far off the General discussion into our world.

BarryP

Quote from: finnster01 on September 23, 2010, 04:07:17 PM
Mr Hatter,

I'll look forward to reading about your experience.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Steve_orino

Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

duffbeer

Dallas CRUSHED the Galaxy.  Wow and Congrats Steveo!!!

Typical headline for the result - "Beckham Plays Through Pain As Galaxy Lose".  So disgusting that the team going to the finals isnt even mentioned.  But on the brightside at least there is even a headline about soccer.  Here in Cleveland the result will be reported as a tiny box score on the back page of the sports section

Steve_orino

I saw that CNN headline too.  It stings duff, it stings.  I pray/hope that 'They' let the game sale itself one day...

There is a Washington Post article that is hilarious...an open letter from Don Garber, "thanking" FCD & Colorado for making it to the Final.  Two franchises in similar circumstances...maybe this Final will help both fanbases.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

duffbeer

Steve, I just read the article, very nice and on point.  However, as much as Garber and MLS may have wanted DP players and the big name teams in the finals, I do believe I'm correct in saying that they also support maintaining parity in MLS so that finals like Dallas v. Colorado are possible.  To me the disappointing party is the media and not MLS.  I believe MLS is trying to do the best that it can to make the league survive and grow - not an easy task from my perspective here in Cleveland (another story).  What is great is that MLB is the only league not to make parity part of it's business plan (even though Branch Rickey of the LA Dodgers was the original genius behind the idea) and yet the Rangers made it to the World Series.  What are they putting it the water there in Dallas County.