watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steve Earle

Started by cmg, July 14, 2017, 12:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Little or nothing about aircraft schedules, I'm afraid, but I would recommend a read of this  article from the Club website:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/-/media/Downloads/PDF/FUL-028-033-5_Games.pdf

Some stirring memories of great days and a very fine player.

Steve does not mention his subsequent career as player and coach in the USA.
I believe he still lives in Oklahoma and is not to be confused with the country and western star of the same name. Between the two of them they appear to have been married an exhausting eight times, although our Steve has contributed a modest one to that total.

Be handy if we could secure somebody of his talents within the next few days. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: cmg on July 14, 2017, 12:28:51 PM
Little or nothing about aircraft schedules, I'm afraid, but I would recommend a read of this  article from the Club website:

I believe he still lives in Oklahoma and is not to be confused with the country and western star of the same name. Between the two of them they appear to have been married an exhausting eight times, although our Steve has contributed a modest one to that total.

Yes indeed, The Earle of Fulham.
I remember those 5 goals he scored up at Halifax Town in an 8 2 victory. Those were the days.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

gerrys

Only reason my girlfriend ever came to watch Fulham with me......she really fancied him (& Steve McQueen too)

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 14, 2017, 12:38:13 PM

I remember those 5 goals he scored up at Halifax Town in an 8 2 victory. Those were the days.

8-0.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on July 14, 2017, 12:46:02 PM

8-0.

Just testing to see if you were alert.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: gerrys on July 14, 2017, 12:45:03 PM
Only reason my girlfriend ever came to watch Fulham with me......she really fancied him (& Steve McQueen too)

Don't you mean Gordon McQueen. Manchester United.
Steve McQueen was an actor that was in some horror film called The Blob back in the 50s.

Never forget your Roots.

bill taylors apprentice

I always felt a bit frustrated he didn't get involved more in some games but now I look back I see a class player who's goals return was impressive.

He would suit modern football very well!

bog

I was there to see his hattrick away to Northampton in 4-2 win that kept us up in 1966. And another at Stockport just after his 5 at Halifax. I feel he does not receive the acclaim he should.

092.gif

sunburywhite

Quote from: bog on July 14, 2017, 02:45:21 PM
I was there to see his hattrick away to Northampton in 4-2 win that kept us up in 1966. And another at Stockport just after his 5 at Halifax. I feel he does not receive the acclaim he should.

092.gif

Wasn't that the one where we broke from the half way line for I think the third goal?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

b+w geezer

How cool to mention in passing that you scored the winner for us at Stamford Bridge, but not make it one of your top five!

At the time there was a touch of Marmite about Earle. Everyone recognised he had quality, but he didn't operate at the Leggat level of fearlessness, and some supporters made more of that than others. Barrett and Conway were more liked and of course lingered longer, but Steve ended up with many more top division appearances.

Hadn't realised Chelsea were also in for him. An interesting decision if so to opt for Leicester. He was at home there in that they had several other exiles from London who played football that was classy but just a tad anaemic. Jon Sammels, Keith Weller, Allan Birchenall were all part of that Jimmy Bloomfield side, I think. Kind of the obverse of Pulis era Stoke.

b+w geezer

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 14, 2017, 02:06:21 PM
He would suit modern football very well!
Correct. Better pitches. More protection. More technical.

e4b

Thanks for posting that. Steve was obviously one of my heroes as a young supporter. He was definitely a player you either loved or hated. Interesting that he mentions Paul Went, our new CB reminds me of him in build.Hope he plays as well.

filham

092.gif
Yes I too was at Northampton for that match , it formed part of our 1966 Great escape and if I remember correctly we had just switched to a 4-3-3 formation.

Steve Earl was a classy striker and with Conway and Barret formed a very nice looking strike force.

LittleErn

092.gif
I was there too - right behind the goal where he scored. First and last time I ever ran on the pitch! A sensational end to the match.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: LittleErn on July 14, 2017, 06:07:04 PM

092.gif
I was there too - right behind the goal where he scored. First and last time I ever ran on the pitch! A sensational end to the match.

The local constabulary have been looking for you for 52 years for Tresspassing on private land. They are anxious to close this case. Expect an early morning call some time shortly. 

Never forget your Roots.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 14, 2017, 01:07:51 PM

8-0.

Missed that game but went next season and we lost 3-2. The Shay, now that was a ground, not a prawn sandwich in sight!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on July 14, 2017, 07:49:57 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 14, 2017, 01:07:51 PM

8-0.

Missed that game but went next season and we lost 3-2. The Shay, now that was a ground, not a prawn sandwich in sight!

Didn't they have a running track round the pitch ?

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 14, 2017, 02:55:57 PM

092.gif

Wasn't that the one where we broke from the half way line for I think the third goal?
Yes that was the one, I think it was the 4th. What a day that was....what a journey home!

bog

Also memorable was the chant of 'Cobblers!' as a show of support for the home side.  Not long after had a front 4 of Jimmy Conway, Allan Clarke, Steve Earle and Les Barrett. What a front 4 that was.   :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif 

Sir Alec of good Stock

I'll always remember Barrett corner, flicked on by Earle for Michell to power in to the net.

Fantastic player. As I remember only 1600 turned up for his Testimonial (remember them) when we lost 4-0 to Leicester.