watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sorry but were we a bad team last year?

Started by Marinelloguthrie, July 23, 2017, 10:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marinelloguthrie

First time posting for a long time and I thought I would add my thoughts on things at the moment..

For me and maybe even stats wise we were the best team from November onwards playing by far the best football.

Since we have lost martin who turned out to be a disappointment.
Parker who never played much but would have been a good influence.
Malone who was outstanding and will be missed plus kalas who I am hoping and think will be with us anyway.

We have added 2 newies who we dont know yet how they will perform and got sess a year older with the other youngsters who seem to be full of confidence. Also have kept Cairney and sess which is very positive.

We gave gone heavy trying to get folan but looks like we failed can't see we could have done much more to be honest on him.

We have time left to get some in and more importantly as far as I am aware slav has not made any negative comments. I don't see the 'not having too many options' comment as a major dig ad the 23's are playing as well.

Last season was excellent even withstanding ultimate disappointment. However when I read this board and see comments like 'we going to be bottom halve' etc it surprises me how the momentum and feel good factor has gone without us even playing.

Spurs aren't spending anything partly because the stadium but mainly due to them having a very good team and wanting to keep and trust the squad they have. They have sold a player knowing they had someone ready to take over just like malone / sess and probably will add a couple just like we will

Anyway let's keep it a bit more positive can we please..

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on July 23, 2017, 10:46:38 PM
First time posting for a long time and I thought I would add my thoughts on things at the moment..

For me and maybe even stats wise we were the best team from November onwards playing by far the best football.

Malone who was outstanding and will be missed plus kalas who I am hoping and think will be with us anyway.

We have added 2 newies who we dont know yet how they will perform and got sess a year older with the other youngsters who seem to be full of confidence. Also have kept Cairney and sess which is very positive.

We gave gone heavy trying to get folan but looks like we failed can't see we could have done much more to be honest on him.

We have time left to get some in and more importantly as far as I am aware slav has not made any negative comments. I don't see the 'not having too many options' comment as a major dig ad the 23's are playing as well.

Last season was excellent even withstanding ultimate disappointment. However when I read this board and see comments like 'we going to be bottom halve' etc it surprises me how the momentum and feel good factor has gone without us even playing.

Spurs aren't spending anything partly because the stadium but mainly due to them having a very good team and wanting to keep and trust the squad they have. They have sold a player knowing they had someone ready to take over just like malone / sess and probably will add a couple just like we will

Here, here.

We need max of 5 players to beef squad up and only CB is a vital one for next 2 weeks IMO

Mince n Tatties

First time posting in a long time...It is your first post isn't it?...Is everyone mad on here,I know I am... :wine:

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 23, 2017, 10:55:06 PM
First time posting in a long time...It is your first post isn't it?...Is everyone mad on here,I know I am... :wine:

Changed phones forgot my password so eventually reinvented myself .....

nose

i always notice that it saeems to me the majority of postersm that have only posted a few times, mabe in tens or very low hundreds tend to support the party line  and things aren't so bad. even when they are clearly very wrong. i do not know why that should be. we had a great chance to go up last season but failed for all the reasons we all know....  now with the makings of carrying on and improving for some reason the management don't want that to happen, despite their fine words to the contrary. and yet so many people that post so few times support the club. my instinct is people tend to speak up when things are wrong and they want to voice concern... strange phenomena we see here.

Lighthouse

I am not sure I understand the argument that states that because we were so good last season we couldn't have been even better with the right January signings. Yes we were very good. But could we have been better.

If we are to be positive without a decent central defensive pairing or a recognised forward. Then I guess it is all down to the individual viewpoint.

The 2 newbies we have added are squad players. They will not be in the first team other than through injury or we sell somebody else. I will be positive when the manager isn't worried about the thinness of the squad and makes it public that he hopes we will bring in players. It is all just opinion. But there really is nothing to be positive about other than contract extensions. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

The answer to the original question is no and we aren't now Any team without good leadership will struggle in this league and the spine is important. FFP means that good house keeping is essential it is not always possible to buy unless you are sure certain players are leaving. No club wants or needs to be lumbered with players they won't use or need. So you cannot really judge success or failure in this window until it closes for business. Like it or not

St Eve

Right now we are worse than last season. Sign Kalas and we are nearly there. However we need to be better. At a minimum we need a goal scorer and then we need depth.

Woolly Mammoth

It is crucial to sign Kalas as we know what he can do. What worries me is that if we do not, who are the alternatives.
As well as which players if any who are available, have the quality and are good enough to strengthen the team, and are Fulham going to open their War Chest and spend some of the money burning a hole in their sky rocket.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SuffolkWhite

I'm generally positive about the club and although I don't tow the club line remain positive something will happen with new players coming in.

But I have seen the comments about how thin the squad is etc and agree with others that if we are to push on from a good last season we need strength in depth!

We need 5 players in who will challenge first team places.

I reserve judgment until the Norwich game as to whether the club has backed the manager with what he needs!

My two pennies anyway.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Woolly Mammoth

There is a full moon 🌕 this week so I am certain that there will be incoming transfer activity that will settle down any preseason nerves.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ScalleysDad

Were we a bad team? No. Were we hugely inconsistent? Yes. At times up to four players were getting 4/10 in the same game and let's not forget the currently maligned Button was MoM or in 2nd or 3rd several times. We did score lots of goals in batches of threes and fives but equally we saw some turgid position in front of goal or Aluko hitting the roof beams. January was the time to set the stall out for this season, going up was still only 50/50 back then, and post season really serious holes in the squad needed to be filled and filled by now so we hit the ground running with a team bedded in and a squad capable of adapting to playing to plan A, B or C. Getting contracts extended is great PR but those marque players are currently surrounded by average players and those contracts can be brought out four or five games in. As much as we fans would like to see quality coming in I am sure some players are looking around the training pitch as well. The Wolfsburg game is suddenly becoming more than another 'irrelevant friendly that is only good for fitness' as the others were labelled. It could in fact set the tone for the season.

RaySmith

The team we have  now, minus one or two notable exceptions, has now played together for a season.

One of the reasons we didn't go up was because of our poor September, when the team was still new to each other.

The clubs is trying to bring in a new striker and other new players, and has  got some new players in - why do we presume these won't come good? Also, the club has managed to keep Cairney and Sess.

So reasons to be feel  cautiously optimistic for the new season?

Carborundum

The table indicates how good a team we were last season, but look deeper and it shows a team set up to score plenty but with a porous defence.  It worked OK, but two of the key reasons for keeping the score line down - Malone and Kalas - aren't around.  Suddenly Ream is our defensive rock and our preseason is averaging three goals conceded per game.  Our tactic of splitting the centre halves is not for the faint hearted and takes a certain type of player.  Ream is that type of player, but in so many other respects he is very limited.  So if Plan A doesn't work and we revert to a more orthodox defensive set up we will likely be in a lot of trouble.  Teams will know how we defend this time around and what Wolves did to us last Spring could become all-too-familiar.

For all that has been written about our attempts to buy a striker, it's the defence that needs attending to. 

Sorry, I'm in a rare glass half empty mood today.  Still looking forward to the new season kicking off though.

Max Headroom

I penned what I thought the starting team would be v Norwich and from last season it was 9 of the same team with the only two gaping holes are at centre back and striker, and Woodrow at striker (or Kebano, or even Sessegnon) would do for now up front.

We definitely need a centre back ,and failing that hope Madl is fit again

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on July 23, 2017, 10:46:38 PM

Ok now that im hearing about cairney we are in the cows dung lol

VancouverWhite

Quote from: nose on July 23, 2017, 11:45:57 PM

i always notice that it saeems to me the majority of postersm that have only posted a few times, mabe in tens or very low hundreds tend to support the party line  and things aren't so bad. even when they are clearly very wrong.

People that don't complain will naturally have very few posts. 

As for myself, I lurk from the shadows.

OP is right though, we do have a very solid foundation but is underestimating the loss of Kalas and Martin.

Marinelloguthrie

i always notice that it saeems to me the majority of postersm that have only posted a few times, mabe in tens or very low hundreds tend to support the party line  and things aren't so bad. even when they are clearly very wrong. i do not know why that should be. we had a great chance to go up last season but failed for all the reasons we all know....  now with the makings of carrying on and improving for some reason the management don't want that to happen, despite their fine words to the contrary. and yet so many people that post so few times support the club. my instinct is people tend to speak up when things are wrong and they want to voice concern... strange phenomena we see here.

After 51 years of life I find generally speaking people like to moan more than look on the positive side of things, whether it be football, the weather or the fact the more money they earn the more they pay in tax and so on.
Some will just read this board, some will contribute alot and others will post when they feel something warrants their opinion.
Ultimately opinions is what it is all about and all opinions should be respected even the most obscure but to me it is not about forcing opinions on people.
My original post came about because having been reading the forum without posting for a fair while and due to the fact I now  have time to post I felt that I wanted to add my opinion, very simple really.
My frustrations were that having watched many a Fulham team last season's team were along with Supermacs team and tiganas team the most pleasing on the eye and played football how I like to see football being played and was proud to hear so many people say so even opposition fans on their forums. This again is just my opinion and because of this I felt that the club as a whole from owners to slav to the players and to us supporters who created some of the best atmosphere we have had for a long time could be looking forward to the season with a bit more positivity.
It is no secret since the owner came in we have been on a downward slide and it has been hard to be positive but it changed last season and I would like that momentum to continue. We as supporters are part of that and I do not think it is blind positivity.

RaySmith

Agree Marinelloguthrie- that name resonates with me, those two  stars who briefly shone with Fulham. Well Marinello was big name anyway, who'd once been touted as the new George Best.

But obviously we want to, and should be positive after what we achieved last season, after what seemed  so many seasons in the doldrums, when  at one point relegation looked more of a likelihood than promotion.

But we nearly did achieve our return to the Promised Land, and  Slavisa was the key, moulding a successful, very attractive team, from maybe not that promising materials. Can he work his magic again? Hopefully the squad and team will be strengthened further before the season begins.

I feel fairly positive after last season, but I always start a new season feeling positive. Well, that's what it's all about isn't it, supporting a team? Who goes to a game feeling  you won't win?
COYW 049:gif

nose

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on July 24, 2017, 11:38:45 PM

After 51 years of life I find generally speaking people like to moan more than look on the positive side of things, whether it be football, the weather or the fact the more money they earn the more they pay in tax and so on.
Some will just read this board, some will contribute alot and others will post when they feel something warrants their opinion.
Ultimately opinions is what it is all about and all opinions should be respected even the most obscure but to me it is not about forcing opinions on people.
My original post came about because having been reading the forum without posting for a fair while and due to the fact I now  have time to post I felt that I wanted to add my opinion, very simple really.
My frustrations were that having watched many a Fulham team last season's team were along with Supermacs team and tiganas team the most pleasing on the eye and played football how I like to see football being played and was proud to hear so many people say so even opposition fans on their forums. This again is just my opinion and because of this I felt that the club as a whole from owners to slav to the players and to us supporters who created some of the best atmosphere we have had for a long time could be looking forward to the season with a bit more positivity.
It is no secret since the owner came in we have been on a downward slide and it has been hard to be positive but it changed last season and I would like that momentum to continue. We as supporters are part of that and I do not think it is blind positivity.

last season we were sublime, at times it was some of the best football since mac... the frustration is we did not complete the jigsaw in january! and we are now doing the same type of errors.
i have seen the promised land, but somehow the route is obstructed.  i worry our manager will walk.

the issue isn't what we did last season, it is what we shouldhave already done, or be doing now.

i am an optimist by nature, the sky is the limit. we are in a ridiculous situation, all unecessary.