watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Dunkirk

Started by mrmicawbers, July 24, 2017, 08:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmicawbers

Morning Gentleman. Went to see Dunkirk at the weekend. If you get the chance, would recommend you see it on the big screen. Fantastic cinematography, should win plenty of awards.

mrmicawbers

Sorry how rude and Ladies of course my apologies.

Neil D

Going to see this tomorrow.  A little disappointed that it glosses over the role of 30,000 French troops in maintaining the perimeter around Dunkirk which enabled so many to get off the beaches (including 110,000 French troops - also somewhat ignored by the film).  Still, a film about the Second World War without Americans winning it has to be a plus.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Taking my lad to watch 'Captain Underpants' this afternoon.  Latest critics review states ....

'For a very slim segment of the populace—say, grade schoolers who consider a wet palm under a flapping arm to be high art—this pic will likely be a winner. For the rest of us, who might get dragged to this flick by our kids against our better judgement, well, there's always a sleep mask and a good travel pillow.

Should be a classic

mrmicawbers

Good Luck Steve. It reminds me taking my kids to see something of a similar ilk twenty odd years ago and fortunately it was sold out.We had to get tickets for another film and decided to watch the Mask with Jim Carrey and the gorgeous Cameron Diaz.Hadn't laughed at a Film so much in a long time.Good luck.

ffc73

Saw this yesterday. Really good film without the Hollywood makeover

I do echo sentiments above that more of a nod could have been made to the role of the French & British that sacrificed themselves to death or capture to buy the time to get the troops off the beach

bog

I am going to see this film and looking forward to doing so. I live near Ramsgate and it is well documented how its harbour played a big part in the magnificent 'little ships' involvement. So when a boat that took part in the actual rescue and also in this film one would think our local council would look favourably on it mooring in that very harbour. This to give those who wish to have a look around and pay respects to those who manned the deck at that very traumatic time. No. The owners were told that they would have to pay the full mooring fees of £1300 per month. So the boat is now down at Dover. Bloody idiots all.

092.gif

Southcoastffc

The film  has generated some interesting debate. According to an article in The Times on Saturday it barely reflects the considerable French contribution to the episode. Also, contrary to popular understanding, the overwhelming majority of troops evacuated were taken by large naval ships, not by the famous little boats.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Neil D

Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 24, 2017, 12:03:34 PM
The film  has generated some interesting debate. According to an article in The Times on Saturday it barely reflects the considerable French contribution to the episode. Also, contrary to popular understanding, the overwhelming majority of troops evacuated were taken by large naval ships, not by the famous little boats.
Indeed.  All countries tend mythologise their own past.  It is the job of historians to separate myth from reality.  The role of 'the little ships'  is not a myth, as such, but their importance was necessarily exaggerated then to create the 'Dunkirk spirit' and that is understandable in wartime.
I haven't seen the film yet but my understanding is that the role of  the 'little ships' is not over-played - especially when compared to the 1958 film, for example.

Fulhamfan666

Saw it last night in Leicester Square. Gave me a HUGE headache so I don't think I'll want to remember this film...

Nicely filmed though.

cmg

Not sure that 'winning' is exactly the right word to use for what was a successful retreat. Some amazing heroism, slick generalship (e.g Montgomery's handling of the 3rd Division, military not football!, on the Dyle and subsequent withdrawal to cover the Belgian surrender), dedication and a bit of luck enabled the bulk of the BEF to be rescued albeit with almost total loss of equipment. Some 100,000 French troops were evacuated most of whom bravely, but as it turned out ill-advisedly, returned within a few days and were promptly either killed or taken prisoner in the futile battle for France.
As a kid I was always impressed by the plaques borne by many IoW and cross-channel ferries outlining the part they played in the operation. I guess most of these ships have been scrapped by now.

glenhodgso

Quote from: Statto on July 24, 2017, 09:49:13 AM
Quote from: Neil D on July 24, 2017, 08:44:29 AM
Going to see this tomorrow.  A little disappointed that it glosses over the role of 30,000 French troops in maintaining the perimeter around Dunkirk which enabled so many to get off the beaches (including 110,000 French troops - also somewhat ignored by the film).  Still, a film about the Second World War without Americans winning it has to be a plus.

Good film. It doesn't gloss over the French role IMO

Agreed.  The film starts with the French, regularly name checks them and finishes very noticeably with Kenneth Branagh remarking that he's 'staying behind to help get them out'.

The film very much was about three separate perspectives and three timelines. 

Well worth seeing - it's gritty, relentless and leaves much of the actual violence and death to the imagination, which makes it even more powerful in my view.

mrmicawbers

With regard to the French and British defence not getting much of a mention an why the Germans didn't finish it by bringing the Panzers in,no back stories for the main characters. Probably deliberate to fully concentrate on the evacuation.

cottage expat

Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 24, 2017, 12:03:34 PM

True the largest number of troops  were evacuated by large naval ships but while there were 220 large ships, there were 700 small boats (including ferries etc,.)

BestOfBrede

:023:
Quote from: glenhodgso on July 24, 2017, 01:37:13 PM

Agreed.  The film starts with the French, regularly name checks them and finishes very noticeably with Kenneth Branagh remarking that he's 'staying behind to help get them out'.

Well worth seeing - it's gritty, relentless and leaves much of the actual violence and death to the imagination, which makes it even more powerful in my view.

Great, you have ruined the end now, no point in going!

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: BestOfBrede on July 24, 2017, 06:53:21 PM
:023:
Quote from: glenhodgso on July 24, 2017, 01:37:13 PM

Great, you have ruined the end now, no point in going!

Fear not, i wont be so insensitive to blab the Captain Underpants ending. But i do have to say, there was an epic performance from one of the main characters, professor poopypants.

YankeeJim

Russia won WW2. The US was the impact sub. Britain was the back line and Churchill was half American.  065.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YankeeJim

While the bulk of the soldiers were rescued by military vessels the simple fact that 700 or so Brits took the war into their own hands to help to save an army showed the resolve of the British people. Hitler should have recognized that resolve and not assumed the Luftwaffe would break British will.
Good on you lot!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Wolf

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 24, 2017, 08:16:11 PM

Russia won WW2. The US was the impact sub. Britain was the back line and Churchill was half American.  065.gif

Soviet Union not Russia.

And utilising a lot of US made equipment.

This film though, is a film and not a documentary. Have too expect some leeway and embellishment. And an extra wearing a digital watch.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

ffc73

Nit picking alert.  A&SH on the shoulder of some of the soldiers uniforms.  Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders.  Not a Scot accent heard and very few if any of them on the beach in 1940.

In fact it was the 51st Highland Division, of which the Argyle & Sutherland battalions were part of, that formed the perimeter with the French.  The day after the evacuation 10,000 Scots launched an attack on the Germans.  It did not go well for the Scots.