watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was our pre-season good enough?

Started by Andy S, July 31, 2017, 09:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

There were no real tours abroad to a training camp and our two visits were short. We picked up more serious injuries than I remember recently and got whipped a couple of times by big clubs. This leaves us with a less tha optimistic feeling coming in to the new season

Twig

Quote from: Andy S on July 31, 2017, 09:51:29 AM
There were no real tours abroad to a training camp and our two visits were short. We picked up more serious injuries than I remember recently and got whipped a couple of times by big clubs. This leaves us with a less tha optimistic feeling coming in to the new season

To be honest I thought it was pants.  No chance to bed in new players (because there aren't many yet), injuries and niggles as you said and results that will have done nothing for the squad's confidence.  In addition I doubt our manager learnt anything much.  Whoever came up with this itinerary was on another planet.

westcliff white

As pre seasons go it was fine, two camps,  a min of 2 matcches at each one and then a home game. The only issue was not many new faces there. I am trying to remember how many of our new faces joined after we returned from last years pre season.
Every day is a Fulham day

stevehawkinslidingtackle

rweller86

In terms of set up etc, I think we have had a good pre-season. Wins and losses mean nothing pre-season. As mentioned by someone before, Brighton had a poor pre-season (in terms of results) last year and look at them now.

Will judge our preparations in a few games time as we'll see then how we match up with the other teams in the division.
@rweller

aaronmcguigan

Couple of points, just from my point of view;

-Behind closed doors friendlies does nothing for anyone. Scoreline of 8-2 is pointless but you could tell there was no intensity, and a lack of effort at those games. One of the friendlies was our senior team against QPR u23s which made no sense. A low intensity behind closed doors game with no fans won't prepare you for the season the way a trip to maybe a lower league team
-The lack of subs was bizarre as it meant some had to play 90 mins or some went off and came back on. Yet we still had u23 teams and u18 teams on tour elsewhere when we make seniors , not yet fit, play 90mins
-To come back with so many niggling injuries can't be a coincidence surely?
-Good for the players to get away , can't comment on facilities etc but change of scenery good
-Kit delays, season ticket delays, late announced friendlies, maybe Fulham could have been more interactive with fans over the pre season , as a way of maintaining the buzz built from the playoffs, but from my point of view comparing to what other clubs are doing it's a bit of a lost opportunity.

jarv

It was ok. Lost 3 games. 2 against premier opposition and one a top quality german team. The Chelsea game was obviously a bit pointless so can't count that one. Probably as OK as any other team's pre season.

nose

you never know about pre season. the results are relatively meaningless
key is to get players to the required fitness level and to take on board the manager, sorry, head coach's ideas.
seeing as it is essentially the same team then that continuity will be good
what ios bad is the players will be well aware that we have not brought in the players we should and it is likely panic will start to creep in

sess and cairney will be, in the words of fagin, 'reviewing the situation.'
IMO, if we fail to make a meaningful signing or two by the end of august we could see a mega exit in january, cairney has not stayed to be mid table.

Milo

Side note but picking up on the Cairney point - I think Aluko will become our best player this season based on pre-season form.

J.Perkins

This pre season has been the first for sometime without an emphasis on "gelling the new players". Since our main core of the squad hasn't changed, and I think we all agree that our system from last season works, our main focus was focusing on fitness and finding more about the fringe players.

Most of the games had Djalo at CB, often partnered by Sigurdsson. They deserved a chance, and they got it. The outcome is that neither are anywhere near the level we need.

Our midfield of Cairney, Johansen and McDonald is the key part of our system. Once again, most were given an extended rest, whilst the new players and the youngsters were given a proper chance. We know that Cisse is decent, but no McDonald. O'Riley could be the next youngster to break through, amongst Edun and others 

Goalkeepers, Button was given the most opportunities to play. He had a rough time last season, but unfortunately for him, it has continued into this season. I believe his time at Fulham, for his own sake, should end quickly. The need for stronger keeper should be high up on the list, because you can't rely on an injury prone keeper in Bettinelli.

We are in a good position this season, we now have depth in most positions. Some major business is still needed at GK, LB and ST, but I believe that everyone's questions have been answered from this pre season. Yes, the results were poor, but if we go and beat Norwich, all will be forgotten.

filham

I felt more confident with our team at the end of last season than I do at the beginning of this one.
However those feelings could be changed with a good result on Saturday.

Woolly Mammoth

Only time will tell what benefits have come from the preseason.
But on the face of it, it was a real dog End.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

SJ:PreSeason was strange,I didn't find my team fresh for today's game,I can be satisfied with many positives @BBCLondonSport #FFC #FulhamFC

Anyone know what this means? He's the head coach , how did he find it strange and not keep players fresh?
Is this down to his statement squads of having 3 GKs in a 16 man squad when players like Humphrys and Williams are sitting at home?

WayneKerrins

They certainly weren't as fit as Norwich today which speaks to mistakes in pre-season.

davew

Quote from: Andy S on July 31, 2017, 09:51:29 AM
I think by what you have written you know the answer, NO!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

aaronmcguigan

I think the general consensus is that the preparation wasn't good enough but Slav has noted it and said it was Strange?

I'm just confused as it was him and his management team surely organised the training and picked the team. How can he complain of a lack of fitness and complain about the pre season? Transfers might not be his bag but he surely is ALL over pre season

ScalleysDad

I seem to recall people questioning the friendlies being told they were not important and were only a tool to develop fitness.
Seems to me all the disjointedness of last season prevails but at least the team are fitter................. damn it they are not even that.