Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (11.09.10)

Started by White Noise, September 11, 2010, 07:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham hand Zamora £10m deal to kill off Kop interest

Published 23:00 10/09/10

By Mike Walters

Bobby Zamora has landed a bumper £10million contract at Fulham to thwart former boss Roy Hodgson.

England striker Zamora signed a new four-year deal at Craven Cottage worth £50,000 a week after Fulham batted away a deadline day inquiry from Liverpool.

Birmingham were also in the hunt for Zamora, who has scored 26 goals in 94 appearances for Fulham and led their charge into last season's Europa League final.

Amid the swirl of interest, manager Mark Hughes made Zamora's deal a top priority and he said last night: "Bobby is a focal point of what we are trying to do at the club and this new contract is just reward for his efforts.

"There was some interest in him during the transfer window because he's a good player, but fortunately that's as far as it went and we wouldn't encourage any further interest.

"He's playing exceptionally well at the moment and I've been very impressed with his ability in the short time I've worked with him. I quickly came to recognise his quality, although his contract had two years to run, it's important to get your best players tied down on longer-term deals.

"When a new manager comes in, players are understandably worried about their future and whether they will fit in. But he is obviously happy here and I think he was under-estimated in terms of his ability.

"Last month he made a breakthrough at international level - I felt he did very well in his cameo against Hungary - and there seems to be a wind of change in the England set-up, so if he keeps his form I'm sure he will get another opportunity.

"I like his personality, and at 29 I think there's more to come from Bobby. The next few years should be where he's near to his best."

While Zamora's long-term future at the Cottage is now secure, unsettled Aussie goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer faces his first test of public opinion among Fulham fans at today's home game with Wolves.

Schwarzer, who slapped in a transfer request last month in an unsuccessful bid to force through a £4 million move to Arsenal, makes his first appearance of the season after understudy David Stockdale was ruled out for a month with an ankle injury.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bobby-Zamora-has-signed-a-new-10million-deal-at-Fulham-to-kill-off-the-interest-of-Liverpool-and-Birmingham-article576513.html#ixzz0zCR6QjMS

White Noise

Wolves captain Karl Henry loves putting his foot in... are you reading Joey Barton?

By Neil Moxley

Last updated at 11:57 PM on 10th September 2010

'On Football First, the commentator said: "Oh, Wolves' players are falling into each other". We weren't. Barton pushed him. He's been a bit sly. I didn't enjoy that.'

What Henry does enjoy is a fullblooded contest. Newcastle gave as good as they got at Molineux. It was a throwback. Expect more of the same - at least from the Wolves captain - when his side travel to Craven Cottage to meet Fulham today.

'People like Michael Essien have my respect,' added Henry, now warming to his theme. 'I don't think I have come up against a player who was as physically strong as him.

'He certainly made me realise that I need to go into the gym and get on the weights. He was strong, good on the ball and capable of putting his foot in.

'Javier Mascherano's tenacity impressed me. He's a really good player. He went in to win tackles. He's better on the ball than people give him credit for. I spoke to a few of our Irish lads who had played in a friendly against Argentina and they were saying exactly the same.

'Personally, I like Steve Sidwell, too. When I've played against him I've always had tough games. He's my type of player. Closes people down well, gets about, passes well. Scott Parker i s another and he likes to get forward as well. Now we are on the subject, Johnny Heitinga at Everton. He will mix it up, too.

'Steven Gerrard is a great player but he works in a different way. He was putting his foot in against us because it was getting a bit tetchy but he works differently. He is a good, clean tackler.'

If Arsene Wenger is reading this, then it should be pointed out that the midfielder, 27, is not advocating kicking lumps out of everyone.
'Our aim at Wolves is never, ever to go out and kick anyone. It's to get close and win the ball. I know there are bad fouls and people have to be punished but I was sent off at the Emirates last season and I thought it was so unjust. It's still a contact sport. As long as I've been playing there's been contact.

'And tackling should be allowed. It's an art of the game. You don't mean to tell me that any crowd in the Premier League doesn't enjoy one of their players winning the ball with a hard but fair challenge? And these days cameras are there to protect people. I like that.
'You know, we aren't going to let people come to Molineux and play fancy football. We have to stop them doing it.

'It's like people moaning about Stoke and their long throw-ins. Anything you can do within the laws of the game to win that game is allowed. So be it. No-one can moan. No-one can moan about Stoke throwing the ball in 40 yards and scoring from it. It's allowed.' It was a brave move by Henry to choose his hometown club four years ago. QPR had offered him a similar deal.

'I'm from this part of the world,' he said. 'I never want people to say I've not given my all. For me, it's the bare minimum.
'They can say I've been crap. I can take that. But I don't want anyone to say I haven't tried.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1310949/Wolves-captain-Karl-Henry-loves-putting-foot--reading-Joey-Barton.html#ixzz0zCSOmInQ

White Noise

FULHAM v Wolves: Bobby Zamora fully fit with Mark Schwarzer ready for return

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 3:10 PM on 10th September 2010

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is available for Barclays Premier League clash with Wolves after recovering from a thigh injury.

New signing Carlos Salcido will not be considered due to visa delays and Damien Duff is a doubt because of a calf problem.

Keeper Mark Schwarzer will start after overcoming his back problem but back-up stopper David Stockdale will be out for up to a month with an ankle injury.

Philippe Senderos (Achilles), Andrew Johnson (knee) and Diomansy Kamara (foot) are long-term injury absentees.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Pantsil, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Halliche, Gera, Murphy, Duff, Riise, Etuhu, Dempsey, Greening, Davies, Dikgacoi, Zamora, Elm, Dembele, Briggs

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1310880/FULHAM-v-Wolves-Bobby-Zamora-fully-fit-Mark-Schwarzer-ready-return.html#ixzz0zCT4YwCL

White Noise

Fulham v WOLVES: Deadline day arrival Marcus Bent set to be named in squad

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 10:51 AM on 10th September 2010

Wolves will include Marcus Bent in their squad for the first time for the Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage.

The striker was signed on loan from Birmingham before the transfer window closed.

Jelle Van Damme has recovered from the ankle injury suffered in a challenge by Newcastle's Joey Barton a fortnight ago.

But fellow defender Ronald Zubar is ruled out of the clash with the Cottagers with a hamstring injury.

Wolves (provisional squad): Hahnemann, Hennessey, Van Damme, Craddock, Berra, Ward, Jarvis, Jones, Henry, Foley, Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Edwards, Stearman, Elokobi, Fletcher, Bent, Mancienne, Guedioura.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1310775/Fulham-v-WOLVES-Deadline-day-arrival-Marcus-Bent-set-named-squad.html#ixzz0zCTaVkA7

White Noise

John Hartson reveals: I'd bring back Ryan Giggs, Robbie Savage and Simon Davies if I was Wales manager

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 10:46 AM on 10th September 2010

John Hartson would urge Ryan Giggs, Simon Davies and Robbie Savage to come out of international retirement if he was to become the next Wales manager.

The former West Ham and Celtic striker has reiterated his desire to replace John Toshack, who stood down yesterday, and dismissed concerns over his lack of coaching experience.

'They (Wales) gave Mark Hughes his first job and look how well Mark Hughes has done since,' said Hartson.

'I've done my (coaching) badges in recent years. I have worked under great managers, I've picked up a lot during my career and I just feel that it's a job I would love to do.

'I feel I excelled for Wales in terms of playing and it's a job that would really appeal to me.

'I know the system that I would like to play and I'd open the door for Savage, Giggs, Davies...because the Wales team would be a stronger side with them in it
'There would be no egos, we'd all be pulling in the same direction and obviously thinking about the side.'

Savage retired from international football in 2005 after a row with Toshack, Giggs last played for his country in 2007 and Davies called time on his Wales career last month.

Hartson won 51 caps for Wales and scored 14 goals during a 10-year international career.

Current Wales Under-21 boss Brian Flynn and the former Wales defender Chris Coleman, who is out of work after spells managing Fulham, Real Sociedad and Coventry, have both been linked with the job.
But Stoke manager Tony Pulis and Millwall boss Kenny Jackett have ruled themselves out of contention.

Toshack stood down after Wales opened their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign with a 1-0 defeat to Montenegro. They play Bulgaria and Switzerland next month before facing England in March.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1310757/John-Hartson-reveals-Id-bring-Ryan-Giggs-Robbie-Savage-Simon-Davies-I-Wales-manager.html#ixzz0zCU05GOA

White Noise

The Firing Line: Are the bubbles set to burst early for West Ham boss Avram Grant?

By Dan Ripley

Last updated at 2:40 PM on 10th September 2010

He has only just arrived at West Ham but already Avram Grant is starting to feel the pressure as his side sit bottom of the table after a miserable start to the season.

Old habits die hard for Grant, who occupied the same spot with Portsmouth for much of last season and he tops our Firing Line.

But with contract negotiations, takeover talk and managers equally struggling for results, will he still be first to go?

Each week we bring you our latest chart of the managers under pressure, and those on Easy Street. Here's Sportsmail's sack-race rankings - otherwise known as the Firing Line...

1 West Ham - Avram Grant
Whether he has been unlucky with injuries to key players or his team are not playing up to scratch, West Ham remain pointless after three games, and it's champions Chelsea up next. UP ONE

2 Birmingham City - Alex McLeish
After a faux pas from the board regarding the Scot's new deal, the two parties seemed to have patched things up on a personal level, but professionally McLeish is still yet to sign a new deal. DOWN ONE

3 Blackburn - Sam Allardyce
Negative reports regarding finances have circled the Indian businessman who is set to buy the club. Can he be trusted and will Allardyce hang around long enough to find out? NON-MOVER

4 Wigan - Roberto Martinez
Full backing of the board and a season now under way following progress in the Carling Cup and a vital win at Spurs, Martinez's side looks to have settled. Sunderland next. NON-MOVER

5 Stoke City - Tony Pulis
Has faith all-round from players, board and fans but the losing streak will have to end soon if that is to remain. Signings look good on paper and Aston Villa will provide an ideal test. NON-MOVER
6 Sunderland - Steve BruceWith star striker Darren Bent now among the England goals, Bruce can expect his top scorer to continue his fine Premier League form and start a partnership with Asamoah Gyan NON-MOVER

7 West Bromwich - Roberto Di Matteo
One win so far is a steady start at best, but defeats at Chelsea and Liverpool are no disgrace. Points at The Hawthorns will be key to survival as the Baggies host Spurs next. NON-MOVER

8 Man City - Roberto Mancini
With many of his English players buzzing off the back of international duty, defeat at Sunderland should be forgotten. But Mancini will start to feel pressure if they fail to beat Blackburn. NON-MOVER

9 Blackpool - Ian Holloway
Most of Blackpool's players will have enjoyed a rest during the international fixtures, but that is about as easy as it will get with an away trip to St James' Park to face in-form Newcastle next. NON-MOVER

10 Liverpool - Roy Hodgson
A laboured win over West Brom show much work still needs to be done by Roy Hodgson. Fernando Torres hitting form again will be a welcome boost with a trip to Birmingham on Sunday. NON-MOVER

11 Wolves - Mick McCarthySolid start to the season from Wolves who have rode their luck at times but crucially have not let teams come away with victories against them. Will winless Fulham be as guilty? NON-MOVER

12 Fulham - Mark Hughes
The fight back against Manchester United shows the team are playing for their new manager but failure to beat Blackpool showed weakness, steady if not spectacular so far from Hughes. NON-MOVER

13 Newcastle - Chris Hughton
Will be hoping the international break has not disrupted the momentum of his team who were starting to play good football. Good start can be made great with win over Blackpool. NON-MOVER

14 Bolton - Owen Coyle
An England international now in the ranks shows the big improvements Coyle has made to the club. Nobody is expecting miracles from the Scot this week with a visit to Arsenal next up. NON-MOVER

15 Everton - David Moyes
A big weekend for the club sees the return of Wayne Rooney but more crucially a chance to get a positive result. Moyes' side are unlucky to only have a point and are due some fortune. NON-MOVER

16 Aston Villa - Gerard Houllier
How much has he learned or forgotten in six years? Kevin MacDonald got the team off to a good start leaving Houllier in a sink or swim situation. Visit to Stoke will be a tough start. NEW ENTRY

17Tottenham - Harry RedknappLost out this week with injuries to Jermain Defoe and Michael Dawson. Defeat against Wigan was a shock and it's West Brom away next where Spurs do not boast a great recent record. DOWN ONE

18Chelsea - Carlo AncelottiLooked forward to the international matches least due to his side's electric form. West Ham are a wounded animal but will the break have caused Chelsea to take their eye off the ball? DOWN ONE

19 Arsenal - Arsene Wenger
Injuries to Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott are big losses to Wenger, but the Gunners have a superb home record and should still be able to negotiate Bolton comfortably. DOWN ONE

20 Man United - Sir Alex FergusonWill have been delighted to see Rooney respond positively on the pitch following recent scandals, but another failure to secure a win at Everton could hand Chelsea the initiative in title race. DOWN ONE

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1310190/The-Firing-Line-Are-bubbles-set-burst-early-West-Ham-boss-Avram-Grant.html#ixzz0zCUa3unw

White Noise

No pain, no gain - McCarthy tells his Wolves

Published 23:00 10/09/10

By James Nursey

Uncompromising Yorkshireman Mick McCarthy has told his Wolves stars they must continue to put their bodies on the line.

Wanderers are unbeaten after taking five points from their opening three Premier League games.

Their last outing against Newcastle was a bruising encounter with defender Jody Craddock up against physical striker Andy Carroll.

And Wolves boss McCarthy has told his squad he has no time for softies ahead of today's trip to Fulham.

McCarthy said: "We are trying to compete on a football and a physical level.

"Jody Craddock's eye has four or five stitches in it but I am not bothered about that.

"That is the way it is because you know what, we have dentists who can put their teeth back in, doctors who will straighten their noses and put stitches in.

"They all know that is my view on it.

"'Are you fit'? 'No, well get off and we'll put someone else back on."

Wolves' promising opening has given the Molineux club another great chance of staying up but McCarthy is urging caution.

He added: "We've had a good start but there are tougher times ahead and there are a lot of them coming.

"Every point is a prisoner but we've done alright so far."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Mick-McCarthy-has-told-his-Wolves-stars-they-must-continue-to-put-their-bodies-on-the-line-if-they-want-to-survive-relegation-article576341.html#ixzz0zCWFluvE

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/up-next-wolverhampton-wanderers-h-2/

Up next: Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)

by Dan on September 10, 2010

After what seems like an age, Fulham will return to Premier League action tomorrow with a tricky home tie against Wolves. Mick McCarthy's side took four points off the Whites last season, with a determined away draw just as impressive as their 2-1 early-season success at Molinuex, and their strong start to this campaign will give a sell-out away crowd plenty of confidence ahead of their trip down to London.

Mark Hughes is still searching for his first league win in charge of Fulham and he'll certainly be hoping for a little less frenzied defending that we witnessed at Bloomfield Road in that action-packed 2-2 draw last time out. It will be intriguing to see whether John Pantsil, whose mad five minutes sparked a Tangerine revival down by the seaside, is retained at right-back and if new signing Carlos Salcido makes his debut on the opposite side of the back four, especially now that regular left-back Paul Konchesky has been reunited with Roy Hodgson at Liverpool. There is definitely a greater sense of adventure about Fulham under Hughes, but the obvious drawback is that the side doesn't look quite as secure at the back.

Mark Schwarzer's return from a back injury might add some experience to the defence even if the Australian was apparently keen to swap west London for Arsenal before the transfer window slammed shut. Schwarzer will need to perform well if he's to reclaim the number one shirt from David Stockdale on a permanent basis. At the start of the campaign that sentence might have seemed absurd but the 24-year-old's assured performances made that the ankle injury which ruled him out of England duty last week was horribly unfortunate.

Hughes might have a bit of a selection headache at the other end of the field too. Bobby Zamora may have put pen to paper on a new four-year contract today but depending on which paper you read, he could either be doubtful or definitely out of tomorrow's fixture. Zamora's absence might offer Moussa Dembele, who has enjoyed something of a whirlwind start to life in English football, an opportunity to impress in a more conventional centre forward's role – because the cupboard's pretty bare otherwise for Hughes, who didn't sign an out-and-out striker during the transfer window. Alternatively, Clint Dempsey could reprise his role as a makeshift striker or play just behind Dembele. Zoltan Gera – an effective second striker during last season when he was the perfect foil for a revitalised Zamora – will also be  hoping to earn a start.

Fulham's home record against Wolves isn't exactly anything to get excited about. The Whites have won just two of their last twelve league meetings at the Cottage and they've got plenty of reasons to worry about the extension of that sequence this weekend. Tipped as cannon fodder on their return to the top flight a year ago, Wolves surpised plenty of the pundits by staying well clear of the relegation dogfight and the underappreciated McCarthy has built a side with subtlety as well as good old fashioned grit. The former Republic of Ireland manager has made some astute signings in the transfer market and their tenacity in the middle of the park should mean that Danny Murphy, distinctly under-par so far this season, and Dickson Etuhu are primed for battle.

Home fans should also be aware the potency of Wolves' attacking partnership. Switching from a 4-5-1 formation to a more conventional 4-4-2 is a demonstration of just how comfortable they now feel in the Premier League and the combination of Kevin Doyle's aerial power and Sylvain Ebanks-Blake's finishing will worry plenty of top flight defenders between now and May. Doyle is more than just a beanpole striker in truth – his tireless running and clever footballing brian make him an automatic pick for the Republic at the moment – while Ebanks-Blake has scored goals at every level, including three this season – the last of which secured a deserved point at Goodison Park last time out.

It will be far from straightforward for Fulham tomorrow.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Salcido, Hughes, Hangeland; Etuhu, Murphy, Duff, Davies; Gera; Dembele. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Baird, Riise, Greening, Dempsey, Elm.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/10/squad-sheets-fulham-wolverhampton-wanderers

Squad sheets: Fulham v Wolverhampton Wanderers   

Tweet this (13)

guardian.co.uk, Friday 10 September 2010 16.58 BST

Few games taking place tomorrow can match the feel-good factor of this one. Both sides are undefeated and will believe goals are there to be had despite their two previous Premier League meetings at Craven Cottage ending 0-0. Fulham will look to Bobby Zamora, buoyed by signing a new four-year contract, to strike for them while Wolves will hope Sylvan Ebanks-Blake is primed to record his third goal of the campaign. They are also likely to hand Marcus Bent a debut at some point following his loan move from Birmingham.

Sachin Nakrani

Venue Craven Cottage, Saturday 3pm

Tickets £30-42 (0870 442 1234)

Last season Fulham 0 Wolves 0

Referee P Dowd

This season's matches 3 Y10, R0, 3.33 cards per game

Odds Fulham 5-6 Wolves 4-1 Draw 13-5

Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic Fulham
Subs from Zuberbühler, Etheridge, Elm, Briggs, Baird, Stoor, Halliche, Riise, Gera, Greening, Dikgacoi, E Johnson, Dempsey

Doubtful Duff (calf), Schwarzer (back), Zamora (thigh)

Injured Kamara (foot, 2 Oct), A Johnson (knee, 16 Oct), Stockdale (ankle, Nov), Senderos (achilles, May)

Suspended None

Ineligible Salcido (visa problems)

Form guide DDD

Disciplinary record Y5 R0

Leading scorers Davies, Etuhu, Hangeland, Zamora 1

Wolves
Subs from Hennessey, Fletcher, Elokobi, Mancienne, Stearman, Halford, Milijas, Guédioura, Mouyokolo, Edwards, Bent

Doubtful Fletcher (ankle), Henry (groin), Mouyokolo (hamstring), Van Damme (ankle)

Injured Zubar (hamstring, 18 Sep), Hunt (foot, 2 Oct), Kightly (match fitness, Jan)

Suspended None

Form guide DDW

Disciplinary record Y9 R0

Leading scorer Ebanks-Blake 2

Match pointers

• Fulham have won two of their last 12 home meetings with Wolves in all competitions

• Wolves have managed seven shots on target in 2010-11, the joint fewest in the Premier League

• Bobby Zamora has won more free-kicks (nine) and committed more fouls (nine) than any other Fulham player

• Wolves have won 61% of their tackles, the lowest ratio in the top flight – they have also committed more fouls (55) than any other side

• David Stockdale has made more saves (16) than any other goalkeeper in the division

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7989500/Fulham-v-Wolverhampton-Wanderers-match-preview.html

Fulham v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between between Fulham and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Craven Cottage on Saturday Sept 11 2010, kick-off 15:00 BST.

PREVIEW

FULHAM V WOLVES Saturday, September 11 15:00
Premier League
Craven Cottage

By John Ley

(Possible, 4-4-2): Stockdale; Pantsil, Hughes. Hangeland, Calcido; Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Duff; Dempsey, Dembele.
Wolves (Possible, 4-4-2): Hahnemann; Foley, Craddock, Berra, Ward; Jarvis, Henry, Jones, Van Damme; Ebanks-Blake, Doyle.
Referee: Phil Dowd. Matches: 3. R0 Y10.

Tale of the game

Fulham could have problems, both in attack and in goal. Bobby Zamora suffered a thigh muscle against Blackpool and is out, while Andrew Johnson continues his recovery from a knee problem. And with another striker, Diomansy Kamara, also missing, Clint Dempsey could return to play with new signing Moussa Dembele.

And with Paul Konchesky now at Liverpool, Mark Hughes could give a debut at left-back to Mexican international defender Carlos Salcido.

Goalkeepers David Stockdale and Mark Schwarzer are also carrying injuries but one should be available. In addition, Philippe Senderos is out and Damien Duff undergoes a test on a calf strain.

This is Wolves' 80th Premier League game and they last won at Craven Cottage in October 1999. But if they avoid defeat for a fifth consecutive game, it will be their best ever sequence in the Premier League. They miss Stephen Hunt and test Steven Mouyokolo, Steven Fletcher and Jelle van Damme.

Last season: Wolves 2 Fulham 1, Fulham 0 Wolves 0.

Stat of the game: These teams have met twice at Craven Cottage in the Premier League and both games have finished goalless. And Mark Hughes has drawn 11 of his last 14 games as a Premier League manager.

Betting tip: Fulham are due a win; try 1-0 at 11-2.

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/09/10/fulham-v-wolves-preview-bobby-zamora-keen-to-celebrate-new-cont/

Fulham v Wolves Preview: Bobby Zamora Keen to Celebrate New Contract

10/9/2010 10:20 AM GMT

By Ben Hunt

PREMIER LEAGUE: CRAVEN COTTAGE, SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 11, 2010. KICK-OFF: 1500 BST

Wolverhampton go into this match probably wishing the international break had not come along just when Mick McCarthy's side had made an excellent start to this campaign with a return of five points from their opening three matches.

Fulham have also made a solid start to the season and are unbeaten under the leadership of new manager Mark Hughes, but - after three successive draws in the Premier League - must believe they deserve an overdue win.

They have been boosted by the news that striker Bobby Zamora has agreed to sign an improved contract that keeps him at the club for the next four years.

Key Match-up: Bobby Zamora v Christophe Berra: Scottish international Berra will face a difficult task if Zamora comes through test on a thigh strain that ruled him out of the international fixtures. But the Wolves defender has a no-nonsense approach that has made him an important figure in McCarthy's squad. His task will not much easier if Zamaro is ruled out. Fulham striker Moussa Dembele opened his scoring account against Port Vale in the Carling Cup and will want to add to that tally here if given an opportunity.

Form Guide: Fulham recorded a goalless draw last season when Wolves travelled to Craven Cottage, yet that was right in the middle of Fulham's remarkable run to the Europa League final. The last time the Fulham beat Wolves at home in the league was in April 2001 when Louis Saha scored both goals in their 2-0 victory. Wolves however, win the battle between the two side's head-to-head record with 35 victories to Fulham's 22.

Odds: Fulham 5-6 Wolves 7-2, Draw 5-2

Follow Us on Twitter Friend Us on Facebook iPhone App - Get It Now
FULHAM:
Defender Aaron Hughes is pleased with the way Fulham have started the season, with awkward games at Bolton and Blackpool coming either side of a home fixture against Manchester United.

And the 30-year-old insists they have retained the same team spirit under Hughes as they had working with Roy Hodgson.

He told the club's website: "It's been a reasonably tough start having two away games plus having your home game against United, which is not easy.

"But I think we've done okay. We've showed in the games that we're trying to do the right things and we've also shown a bit of character, having to come back in two of those three games.

"We'll always have that, the type of players we have at the club mean that we'll always have that side to our game. It's nice to show that we have retained that characteristic having changed manager.

"There are obviously little things we can improve upon but it's early in the season and that's going to happen. Overall I think we can take a lot of positives from it."

Manager Mark Hughes, meanwhile, is "delighted" striker Zamora has ended speculation surrounding his future by signing the four-year extension to his current contract.

He said: "Bobby is very important to what we are doing here and I am delighted he has signed. The fact he has signed such a long deal is proof of how much we value his contribution."

Strategy: Fulham will use a 4-4-2 system although Zoltan Gera will occasionally drift out to the left wing instead of playing down the middle. Clint Dempsey is likely to start on the substitutes' bench but will probably feature at some point.

Injury Update: Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is fit again, and Zamora could played after sitting out the international break because of his thigh strain. Damien Duff will have a late fitness test on a calf problem.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS:
Marcus Bent has signed on at the 14th club of his career after joining Wolves on loan until January and will go straight into the squad.

Bent agreed a switch from Midlands rivals Birmingham to boost the firepower at Molineux. The former Everton, Blackburn, Leicester and Charlton forward has been on the transfer list at St. Andrew's since the end of last season.

And Bent, 32, has admitted he faces a battle to win a place at Wolves, with £13 million duo Kevin Doyle and Steven Fletcher and in-form Sylvan Ebanks-Blake ahead of him.

He said: "I know I'm not coming here to go straight into the side and I know the boys have been playing very well up front and throughout the team.

"They've had a good few results already this season. I'm like everyone else, I just want to win a place in the team and improve both for myself and to help the team.

"This is a great opportunity for me with an enthusiastic and experienced manager and a lot of talented players. It's good to be able to join another Premier League club and Wolves did well last season just like Birmingham. There are a lot of good players here and it will be nice to be a part of it."

Strategy: McCarthy's tactics against Newcastle came under heavy scrutiny, with many critics accusing them of basically being a team of bullies. Trying to tell McCarthy what is right and wrong is like a red rag to a bull with the straight talking Yorkshireman, however, and Fulham can expect a similarly rough ordeal at Craven Cottage.

McCarthy said: "People like to hang tags on things but don't go labelling us a dirty side. We play our football and we compete. We tackle properly and we're going to continue doing the same. If you don't stand up to it, you get beat. Against Newcastle, we stood up to a really experienced team who I don't think should even have been in the Championship. I was proud of the lads for the way we competed in both games. The Newcastle game was a tough old match – but there were no shrinking violets."

Injury Update: Ronald Zubar will miss out with a hamstring injury but Fletcher (foot) and Jelle Van Damme (ankle) both returned to training towards the end of the week. Steven Mouyokolo, the £3 million summer signing from Hull, could feature after recovering from an ankle problem.

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8977069.stm

Fulham    v    Wolverhampton

Saturday, 11 September 2010

Premier League

Home Team Score Away Team Time

Fulham v  Wolves 15:00

FULHAMWOLVESPossessionFulham 50%Wolves 50%Attempts on targetFulham 0Wolves 0Attempts off targetFulham 0Wolves 0CornersFulham 0Wolves 0FoulsFulham 0Wolves 0

Barclays Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday 11 September Kick-off: 1500 BST
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, local radio, Final Score & highlights on Match of the Day

TEAM NEWS
Striker Bobby Zamora signed a new four-year contract with Fulham on Friday but a thigh injury may see him miss Saturday's game with Wolves.

Fulham's list of long-term injuries includes fellow striker Andy Johnson and defender Philippe Senderos.

Striker Marcus Bent is in the Wolves squad for the first time since joining from Birmingham on loan.

Jelle Van Damme has recovered from an ankle injury but fellow defender Ronald Zubar is out with a hamstring injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham

Doubtful: Zamora (thigh)

Injured: A Johnson (knee), Kamara (foot), Senderos (Achilles), Schwarzer (back)

Wolves

Doubtful: Henry (groin), Kightly (match fitness), Mouyokolo (hamstring)

Injured: Hunt (foot), Zubar (hamstring)

MATCH PREVIEW
No team scored fewer goals in last season's Premier League than Wolves but things are already looking brighter on the attacking front for Mick McCarthy's side in 20010/11.

People like to hang tags on things, but don't go labelling us a dirty side. We play our football and we compete

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's two goals in the first three games means he has already equalled his tally for the whole of last season, and Wolves arrive at Fulham unbeaten and in the top half of the table - a place they were unacquainted with in the 2009/10 campaign.

Fulham are also unbeaten thanks to three draws - not a bad return from two away matches and a home game against Manchester United.

But new manager Mark Hughes will want to get a league win under his belt, especially given that too many draws were what cost him his job at Manchester City last season.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• The only two Premier League meetings between these two teams at Craven Cottage have ended in goalless draws.

• Wolves have won two of the last three meetings with Fulham.

606: DEBATE
Have your say on Saturday's match 
Fulham

• Fulham have begun the season with three draws.

• Mark Hughes has drawn 11 of his last 14 Premier League games as a manager.

Wolves

• Wolves are unbeaten so far this season, winning one and drawing two in the Premier League, and winning one in the Carling Cup.

• Wolves have lost just one of their last eight league games.

• Wolves had seven players booked in their last Premier League match, a 1-1 draw at home to Newcastle.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Fulham

Zamora: 3 goals (1 league); Etuhu: 1 goal (1 league)

Wolves

Ebanks-Blake: 2 goals (2 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Phil Dowd

Assistant referees: Simon Beck & Stephen Child

Fourth official: Dean Whitestone

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Fulham (D2-2 v Blackpool, a): Stockdale, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly, Davies, Etuhu, Murphy (Gera 80), Duff (Greening 85), Zamora (Dempsey 59), Dembele. Subs not used: Zuberbuhler, Baird, Riise, Briggs.

Wolves (D1-1 v Newcastle, h): Hahnemann; Foley, Craddock, Berra, Ward, Jarvis, Henry, D Jones (Guedioura 72), Van Damme (Zubar 56), Ebanks-Blake, Doyle (Fletcher 72). Subs not used: Hennessey, Edwards, Stearman, Mancienne

White Noise

Programme Talk

Friday 10th September 2010

Fulham FC News

Following the international break, Barclays Premier League football returns to Craven Cottage on Saturday, with the Whites looking to extend their unbeaten start to the new season.

Visiting Wolverhampton Wanderers, who are also unbeaten, represent a stern test with Mick McCarthy's side taking four points from a possible six at our expense last season.

Fulham will be looking to make amends this term and continue their solid start to the campaign, with Saturday's fixture an excellent chance for Mark Hughes to register his first league win of the season.

And as always, fans heading to the match will be able to get their hands on the Club's award-winning new-look official Matchday Programme on what will hopefully prove another afternoon of exciting action.

With its sleek re-design, the must read 84-page publication comes packed full of Fulham facts and info, in-depth discussion, exclusive player interaction, innovative features and detailed coverage of your favourite club.

The essential Matchday companion also includes:

• A message from Fulham Manager Mark Hughes.
• Danny Murphy's views as Club Captain.
• An exclusive one-on-one with Simon Davies.
• Matthew Briggs on his development and recent taste of First Team action.
• The low down Fulham's latest signings Rafik Hallice and Carlos Salcido.
• The Academy's U9-14 Operations Manager Geoff Noonan on the Academy's latest success.
• Guest column from Fulham fanatic and Daily Star Chief Football Writer Danny Fullbrook.
• The popular Black & White Eye, covering all things Fulham.
• Match action from our 6-0 defeat of Port Vale and 2-2 draw at Blackpool.
• Unprecedented fan interaction and tonnes of fun for younger fans too.
• Plus, so much more besides!

The brilliant publication will be on sale in and around the ground from two hours before kick-off and at half-time.

If you miss your copy outside then look out for sellers on the Putney and Hammersmith Terrace, or at half-time from the programme room situated inside the Johnny Haynes Stand by Block E (opposite Turnstile 24).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/WolvesProgrammePreview.aspx#ixzz0zCa16ku0

White Noise

Fulham v Wolves

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 11 September

Kick-Off 15:00

Join us before Fulham versus Wolves for an afternoon of family fun. With fairground stalls, face painters, circus workshops, fantastic inflatables and much much more, Bishops Park is the only place to be before the big match!

Tickets for the match are available from just £35 Adults and £15 Juniors.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders  on sale  (unlimited tickets)
Fulham Club Members on sale (unlimited tickets)
General Sale on sale
Loyalty points: 3 (more info)|

Buy tickets now|

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/WolvesHome.aspx#ixzz0zCaHKgVN

White Noise

Pre-Match Action!

Friday 10th September 2010

Fulham FC News

Following the great success of this summer's holiday courses, the Fulham Football Club Foundation are giving young supporters another opportunity to enjoy some fantastic coaching in Bishops Park prior to Fulham v Wolves on Saturday 11th September.

It doesn't matter whether your child is the next Bobby Zamora or even if they have never kicked a football before, our exclusive pre-match skills clinic will cater for everyone from 6 to 14 years of age.

The clinic will be run by the Fulham FC Foundation's qualified, enthusiastic and experienced coaches, so they'll be in excellent hands.

Following the session in Bishops Park, take your seats for the big game and watch the Whites put those skills to the test!

Places are available for just £45 and include one Adult and one Junior ticket as well as the pre-match skills clinic.

Bookings are only available by calling the Fulham FC Foundation on 0870 442 5432.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/FoundationClinic.aspx#ixzz0zCaVdUsW

White Noise

Inside Fulham FC Podcast

The most comprehensive coverage of Fulham FC. Presented by BBC London 94.9, Inside Fulham FC gives you the latest team news, player and manager interviews as well as features involving the club's community initiatives. Stay in contact with everything at Craven Cottage each Wednesday during the season.

Dickson Etuhu on his new contract 08 Sept 2010

Wed, 8 Sep 10

Duration: 9 mins

Dickson Etuhu talks about signing a new deal to stay at Fulham until 2014, and Phillipe Senderos shares his thoughts on his international team mates chances ahead of England's trip to Switzerland in the Euro 2012 qualifiers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://paddytheflea.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/probable-lineups-fulham-v-wolves/

Probable Lineups: Fulham v Wolves

At last! The Premier League is rolling again and Wolves have an interesting game against Fulham away.

On paper it looks like something we could get something from, but you'll never know. Last season we got four points from the matches against this team, which mean we haven't experienced a loss against them, so it's thumbs up.

And we got to be pleased with the situation concerning injuries aswell. Long term for Kights and Hunt, but that's accounted for. Otherwise Zubar is still out aswell as Mouyokolo – whose problem seem to be more long-term than anticipated. But they have yet to figure in Wolves so they don't really count.

McCarthy has told the press that Steven Fletcher and Jelle Van Damme are available and ready to play. Good! But it would be a major surprise if he starts with anyone else but Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Doyle up front. They are both up and running and in form. Watch out, Fulham!

In fact I believe that Mick has an easy job to pick out the starting eleven against Fulham. He will surely go for a 4-4-2 and all players are in place as I see it. With Van available Jarvis will start on the right with an option to shift, but i believe he will do better there now than against Newcastle, as Kelly is a much easier task to go past than Enrique.

What about Fulham then? Reports earlier in the week said that Bobby Zamora was out. Now reports says that he is O-K. But I've seen no info whatsoever from the club itself. I guess that means he's a doubt. And Duff is a doubt aswell. Two of their absolute best in my book. And Schwartzer in goal is probably out aswell – and it seem that he is in conflict with the club. No ideal situation to have.

But don't let that fool you. Fulham is a very good team. Especially at home. They played a draw and then some against the mighty Manchester United. But on the other hand they seem to play well against United as a rule at home. Strange thing.

With Duff and Zamora out we should get at least a draw. With them playing it's much harder. They are the icing of their cake. The most probable result is a draw and I believe Wolves would take that, but Fulham would not. And don't forget that Dembele-guy. He could present himself against us.

I believe both teams will try to use the corridor to the right (see below) to get forward. That's where the battle will be won.

They will try to go forward and grab three points and that will be a chance for Wolves to take three if we play our cards right. We have the players to do it with Sylvan and Doyle playing for fun and Jarvis on a high after signing a new contract. Hell – we will win it!

After sticking out  like that let's look at the probable starting elevens. Easier to pick Wolves than Fulham, for sure.

White Noise

http://www.sportingpreview.com/matches/10110201.php

FULHAM v WOLVES

BIG MATCH STATS AND FACTS

SportingPreview.com: 10 September 2010

Wolves have only won four of their 39 Premier League away games.

• The two Premier League meetings between Fulham and Wolves in London have both ended 0-0.
• Mark Hughes has drawn 11 of his last 14 games as a Premier League coach.
• Fulham have only won one of their last nine Premier League matches.
• Wolves have won just two of their last 10 Premier League matches.
• Wolves have fired in just seven shots on target this season, the joint-fewest in the Premier League.
• The only two Premier League meetings between these two teams at Craven Cottage have ended in goalless draws.
• Wolves have won two of the last three meetings with Fulham.
• Fulham have begun the season with three draws.
• Mark Hughes has drawn 11 of his last 14 Premier League games as a manager.
• Wolves are unbeaten so far this season, winning one and drawing two in the Premier League, and winning one in the Carling Cup.
• Wolves have lost just one of their last eight league games.
• Wolves had seven players booked in their last Premier League match, a 1-1 draw at home to Newcastle.

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/wolves-preview.html

Wolves Preview

By: timmyg | September 10th, 2010

Woohoo life returns to normal tomorrow.

Carlos Salcido will not be available because of a visa issue (uhm, what? The Fulham Chronicle says he's stuck in Mexico because of flight delays) and Duff is out with a calf injury. David Stockdale is also injured, along with long term casualties Senderos, Kamara and AJ. So expect to see Schwarzer in goal and Dempsey starting on the wing.

Zamora should lead the line and Etuhu boss the midfield fresh off their new four-year contracts. I wish I could get more excited about these dealings, but the way players are transacted and contracts treated in football (compared to other American sports where a four year deal [usually] means you're staying with the team for four years) I just can't gloat. I'm pleased, but not expecting either to see out their contracts for any number of reasons.

Right, so Wolves tomorrow. Fulham went winless against them last year, losing rather early in the season at Molineaux 2-1 in a match I missed but upon watching the highlights it was obvious I didn't miss anything. We had a scoreless draw with them at home last April in a match that preceded our long, long trip to Hamburg in the Europa semifinals.

Wolves have yet to keep a cleansheet this season, including the Carling Cup, and already have 9 yellow cards. We've kept two cleansheets and accumulated 5 yellow cards. I like us to win 2-0.