News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Playoff squad vs Current squad (how can anyone think we are worse off?)

Started by dannyboi-ffc, August 17, 2017, 11:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on August 18, 2017, 09:15:47 AM

Whether we are better or worse than last year is a matter of performance and not paper exercises just for the joy of being able to have a go at doubters.

I agree, it's only since the very recent signings of Kamara, Oja and Fonte that the squad is starting to look healthier, and that is only on paper.
But the signs are beginning to look much more encouraging.
Time will tell how it will show on the pitch with performance and results.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2017, 09:36:57 AM
Off subject but here are the longest contracted players at the club. Hard core long term foundations.

That's useful but did you intentionally omit Aluko?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

DevonFFC

Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2017, 08:41:57 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 18, 2017, 08:38:34 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2017, 08:25:43 AM
A slightly different way to show depth with a 4 team setup if all fit

Putting that way shows we are still weak at the back IMO

Regarding the OP, don't agree with all those specific comparisons but I agree with the essence of it, feeling better about this year in particular our attacking and midfield options
One starter class CB will make a whole lot of difference to the way this looks. Especially when Odoi has now turned into Chris Baird.

Said any got shot down for it. Fonte from West ham.

They want rid and when with Southampton solid and Ariel threat

MJG

Quote from: Holders on August 18, 2017, 09:52:28 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2017, 09:36:57 AM
Off subject but here are the longest contracted players at the club. Hard core long term foundations.

That's useful but did you intentionally omit Aluko?
No, his contract runs till 2018 and then has an option, these are all players whos contracts run till 2019 without having to take an option.
Just the views of a long term fan

Twig

I think this breakdown is just slightly misleading, if you show Odoi as a left back in place of Malone then it is slightly disingenuous to also show him as a CB (not to mention a RB). That is the one area where in my opinion we are weakened over last year, we just need to decide on Odoi's preferred starting position and make one defensive signing accordingly.

Riverside

For me if the Soares rumours are true
And if Madl stays we are sorted .
However if Madl goes we need a replacement - ideally an upgrade .

Aluko is expendable based on the cover we have and the cash would be useful for the CB ?
However ideally I would like him to stay as his creativity is useful and exciting .

toshes mate

Quote from: Riverside on August 18, 2017, 10:49:03 AM
For me if the Soares rumours are true
And if Madl stays we are sorted .
However if Madl goes we need a replacement - ideally an upgrade .

Aluko is expendable based on the cover we have and the cash would be useful for the CB ?
However ideally I would like him to stay as his creativity is useful and exciting .

I concur with that and would be delighted if Sone is retained.

dannyboi-ffc

We may appear weaker defensively but a large slice of that is because we haven't been putting the ball in the net at the other end.  Once that starts to happen our opponents will be less intent on attacking us and more intent on stopping us.   We are still vulnerable left side defence / right side attacks and that bothers me unless we start scoring at the other end.   Whether we are better or worse than last year is a matter of performance and not paper exercises just for the joy of being able to have a go at doubters.

With regards to the last sentence please let the grudge go now. It was over a month ago, forget it and we move on as men.

The title of the op is a genuine question. With 2 weeks to go and plenty of time to add a couple where we need strengthening, I genuinely don't understand how we look weaker on paper.

When you consider players like LVC, Tunnicliffe, Parker, Petsos, Matt Smith, Woodrow, Sigurdsson, Martin and Cyriac all either never played or never wanted to play. Most have been replaced with better. Our squad might not seem better in terms of quantity but the quality is there and we have options.

2 more defenders and I find it hard to believe anyone can justify a complaint at this transfer window but that as always is my opinion.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

nose

I now think we are probably a bit better than last season as of now BUT there is an issue with the defence.
IMO
I had expected us to be vastly stronger at this particular time.

The thing is, we have not seen enough or anything of the new players to be sure quite how much better we are.

A CB and LB will settle the nerves.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes the more I think about it, a centre back and a left back, need to be brought in, even though there is improvement in the Back Division, we need those positions beefed up.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 18, 2017, 11:31:11 AM
We may appear weaker defensively but a large slice of that is because we haven't been putting the ball in the net at the other end.  Once that starts to happen our opponents will be less intent on attacking us and more intent on stopping us.   We are still vulnerable left side defence / right side attacks and that bothers me unless we start scoring at the other end.   Whether we are better or worse than last year is a matter of performance and not paper exercises just for the joy of being able to have a go at doubters.

With regards to the last sentence please let the grudge go now. It was over a month ago, forget it and we move on as men.

Please relax, dannyboi, since you have had a few 'pops' at me since my return and whilst I take no offence I am at least entitled to defend myself and express opinion.  On my side there have never been any grudges, and it saddens me to hear you think there are.   Perhaps we can declare publicly that our differences are down to both of us having got intentions and understandings wrong.   I apologise if I have upset you but that was not my intention and never has been.  I have high regard for your input to these pages and nothing you can say or do will change that.

If we signed Lionel Messi but he didn't get a goal in any appearances then would you agree the stats and paperwork were waste paper material.  Not a serious question but an observation of what I meant.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: toshes mate on August 18, 2017, 01:08:55 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 18, 2017, 11:31:11 AM

Please relax, dannyboi, since you have had a few 'pops' at me since my return and whilst I take no offence I am at least entitled to defend myself and express opinion.  On my side there have never been any grudges, and it saddens me to hear you think there are.   Perhaps we can declare publicly that our differences are down to both of us having got intentions and understandings wrong.   I apologise if I have upset you but that was not my intention and never has been.  I have high regard for your input to these pages and nothing you can say or do will change that.

If we signed Lionel Messi but he didn't get a goal in any appearances then would you agree the stats and paperwork were waste paper material.  Not a serious question but an observation of what I meant.

I think with hindsight it was a misunderstanding. Not sure if you saw my post before the pm earlier but I also apoligise.

NO hard feelings and we go forth together with or without Messi. If he doesn't want to play for Fulham then I don't want him.......

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

toshes mate

Cheers, dannyboi.  We are playing on the same side and we are so much better for that, and I do hope that the current squad performs as well on the turf as it does appear to promise on paper.  But we do need a left back and central defender - are you any good?

snarks

Quote from: toshes mate on August 18, 2017, 03:49:12 PM
Cheers, dannyboi.  We are playing on the same side and we are so much better for that, and I do hope that the current squad performs as well on the turf as it does appear to promise on paper.  But we do need a left back and central defender - are you any good?

No doubt he can park the bus

dannyboi-ffc

Ha! Asking me if I know how to defend is like asking the Pope if he's a...........no I can't defend sadly. I'm a striker!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: snarks on August 18, 2017, 03:58:35 PM

Lol  :wine:. I still laugh at the post about me being the bus driver on Putney Bridge. I'll park the bus wherever you like mate even on double reds if you promise me a win on Saturday!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

toshes mate

Quote from: snarks on August 18, 2017, 03:58:35 PM
That would provide interesting half time entertainment, not to mention the fifty odd goals he'll score while the other team work out where he has put the keys........

fcfulham55

I hope I'm wrong. But feel we are around the same.  Whilst other teams have significantly improved.

Though we can minus Newcastle. And Brighton.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on August 30, 2017, 10:58:59 AM
Revisiting this as we enter the final straight...

Prepared a little overview this morning of the key changes, excluding players who were totally unwanted/unavailable at the end of last season (Tunnicliffe, Stearman, Jozabed et al.)

Right hand column is my personal opinion as to whether we're better or worse...

I think a fair assessment but if we do sign another centre half and Jota all of a sudden that's every box green. Then we'd have Ojo as an extra and this is all without the possibility of Gayle coming in.

It's been a good window so far, imo it could potentially be the best the club has ever had if they can bring in Gayle, Jota and a centre half

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.