News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Playoff squad vs Current squad (how can anyone think we are worse off?)

Started by dannyboi-ffc, August 17, 2017, 11:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

I've restricted it to players who are first team players. The likes of Humphreys and De la Torre might add to this but I can't see anyone doing a Sess this season. Maybe a handful of games but not 30 odd. The ones in bold are the team that us stronger in their position.

GK
May- Nervous Button, Bettinelli
Now- Button looking confident, Bettinelli, Rodak with a game under his belt vs Wycombe.

Left Back
May- Malone, Sess
Now- ?  Sess, Odoi

Centre backs
May- Kalas, Ream, Madl, Sigurdsson
Now- Kalas, Ream, Odoi, ? ...........Djalo

Right backs
May- Fred, Odoi
Now- Fred, Odoi, Ciise

Centre mid-
May- McDonald, Cairney, Johansen.................Parker, Piazon
Now- McDonald, Cairney, Johansen, Norwood, Ciise, Piazon

Wings
May- Aluko, Ayite, Kebano, Piazon.............Sess
Now- Aluko, Ayite, Kebano, Piazon, Ojo, Sess, Fonte

Strikers
May- Ayite, Martin, Kebano, Cyriac
Now- Fonte, Kamara, Ayite, Kebano

Imo just need a left back and a centre half as cover. Someone who is a better backup than Madl and Sig who is left footed. So that's 2 signings needed for me.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Chutney on August 18, 2017, 12:26:59 AM
We need a CB desperately

I'd definitely like one but odoi looks a better cb than stearman and sigg combined. We have our Real Madrid prospect and madl is very good championship backup. Also kmac is a quality cb. I'd argue if he wasn't so good in midfield he would walk into any team at cb.

love4ffc

Great break down Danny.  Agree we still need a LB option although I wonder if we could do Kalas and Odoi as our CB's with Ream out on the left side.  Problem there for me is that Ream is not as fast as our current options for LB and does seem to do better as CB. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RaySmith

Herbie

I agree. We still need a bit of depth in cover at the back, but our midfield and attacking options are in good shape to carry on the momentum from last season.  Obviously it would be nice to have the luxury to strengthen further, but the reality is that the transfer market is going crazy, making it difficult to bring quality signings in. 

I'm coming round to the way the club is approaching transfers and the coaching set up. By removing some of the control from the head coach, it provides some stability for the direction of the club given that managers these days generally only last a handful of seasons.  The transfer approach might be slower, but at least it's investing sensibly rather than taking expensive punts.

hovewhite

Quote from: Herbie on August 18, 2017, 06:31:49 AM
I agree. We still need a bit of depth in cover at the back, but our midfield and attacking options are in good shape to carry on the momentum from last season.  Obviously it would be nice to have the luxury to strengthen further, but the reality is that the transfer market is going crazy, making it difficult to bring quality signings in. 

I'm coming round to the way the club is approaching transfers and the coaching set up. By removing some of the control from the head coach, it provides some stability for the direction of the club given that managers these days generally only last a handful of seasons.  The transfer approach might be slower, but at least it's investing sensibly rather than taking expensive punts.
Im coming round to that train of thought also.I really cant see in the future after SJ us taking a british coach to run the team as british coaches in general cant work in a scouting transfer structure that is khans preffered system.

westcliff white

Fonte wont play wide he is a number 9 or 10. Kamara's second position (ig he has t play there) will be wide.

Agree we need a centre back, and a left back.
Every day is a Fulham day

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: westcliff white on August 18, 2017, 07:52:18 AM
Fonte wont play wide he is a number 9 or 10. Kamara's second position (ig he has t play there) will be wide.

I keep hearing Fonte can and did both for Braga?
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

westcliff white

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 18, 2017, 08:01:26 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on August 18, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

I keep hearing Fonte can and did both for Braga?
i heard striker or second striker but yo know me mate i dont care where they play as long as they contribute
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

A slightly different way to show depth with a 4 team setup if all fit

Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

Quote from: Statto on August 18, 2017, 08:38:34 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2017, 08:25:43 AM

Putting that way shows we are still weak at the back IMO

Regarding the OP, don't agree with all those specific comparisons but I agree with the essence of it, feeling better about this year in particular our attacking and midfield options
One starter class CB will make a whole lot of difference to the way this looks. Especially when Odoi has now turned into Chris Baird.

Andy S

The result will be known at the end of the season during which there are so many variables which are not just down to the playing staff. It is as much about coaches, Suspensions at vital times injuries to certain players and even players having an off day. It is down to things that cannot be quantified

Ordar

Odoi and Button starting the season so insanely well is like 2 new signings. Unless Madl leaves I actually think we're ok at CB (unless we get a ridiculous amount of injuries!) Left back is my worry, but it looks like that will be addressed soon.

I have zero problem with our transfer approach. You see numerous examples of problems caused by managers having too big a say in transfers when they are replaced and basically the whole squad then needs totally rebuilding. (extreme example being the turnover in players at Man Utd since Mourinho took over). The best scenario is to have a club ethos, where the manager who shares the same values is recuited but the style and structure remains the same. Southampton is a very good example of this. Doesnt matter who the manager is everything else stays the same. They've lost so many managers and big players over the past few years, but they're still incredibly stable.

Woolly Mammoth

A slightly different way, but a very good way, and the best way to show where we are now with regard to cover.
Nobody knows how and when injuries or any suspension will come into play.
Nevertheless, your illustration shows at a glance our strengths and what may need paying attention to.
As you say the form of Odoi has made it a lot easier regarding the concerns of strengthening the defence which is not looking anywhere near as vulnerable as it was.
However, your 4 team set up for me, shows that we need a quality centre back, and I suppose if I was being really fussy, another left back could be a final piece in the jigsaw.
As we all know, it can be a very long season, with so many challenges.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Marcel_Gecov

Shows how far away George Williams is as well. He'll be the nice one gone.

toshes mate

We may appear weaker defensively but a large slice of that is because we haven't been putting the ball in the net at the other end.  Once that starts to happen our opponents will be less intent on attacking us and more intent on stopping us.   We are still vulnerable left side defence / right side attacks and that bothers me unless we start scoring at the other end.   Whether we are better or worse than last year is a matter of performance and not paper exercises just for the joy of being able to have a go at doubters.

Milo

Clear we now need a new LB and a new CB for completeness.

Quite exciting to think we may actually get what we want! Rarity as a Fulham fan!

MJG

Off subject but here are the longest contracted players at the club. Hard core long term foundations.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MJG on August 18, 2017, 09:36:57 AM
Off subject but here are the longest contracted players at the club. Hard core long term foundations.

That is reassuring, and shows hindsight and vision.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.