Quote from: Chutney on August 22, 2017, 02:37:00 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 22, 2017, 02:31:53 PM
Quote from: Chutney on August 22, 2017, 02:28:16 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 22, 2017, 02:20:29 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 22, 2017, 02:14:36 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 22, 2017, 02:06:28 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2017, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: Chutney on August 22, 2017, 01:41:21 PM
If Khan was to sell, and we were to get an owner who considers us as more than a side project and actually gets involved themselves rather than handing us down to his son, surely that's a good thing?

Khan selling isn't the risk here, its who he sells to.
MAF's plan as he told us was to pass it on to his remaining son, but of course that didn't happen. Would you have been happy with that?

LOL +1

Some people on this board do say silly things.

There's a difference between putting your son on the board with very high level oversight, as MAF did, versus putting your son in charge of player recruitment, something traditionally within the manager's, scouts' and/or DoF's mandate (in any case an experienced football professional, probably an ex-player).

Let's be clear, what Khan has done is only one step away from insisting we play his sister up front against Ipswich.

I'm happy with his ownership overall but I don't think what Chutney has said is "silly"

Suggesting his son who runs a sports data company being put in charge of recruitment is any where near his sister playing up front against Ipswich is also silly. In fact it's beyond silly.

My point is, be it silly or not, that there is no need to panic about Khan selling, as long as the person he sells to the right person, it could well end up being a good thing, we just don't know.

Regarding the original question about MAF and his Son, no, I would not be happy had MAF put his son in charge of our recruitment.

Would you rather somebody like TK running recruitment or that we go down the road that Palace have just gone down and appoint an ex-player like Dougie Freedman who literally is the definition of a failed manager?

If it's the second one, then I despair.

I'd prefer we give our manager and his staff the final say on the players we bring in, as it is them who decides if they play or not and them that know best what the team needs. So not the second one. Craig Kline is currently able to overrule Jokanovic, who do you trust more to judge a players ability?

I just think its a silly policy to sign players the manager has no intention of using and doesn't want. Final say on a player joining should be with Jokanovic, this clearly isn't the case while TK is in charge of recruitment.

I feel like we've gone back in time. We dont have a manager, Joka is a head coach. Its a different job description. Fulham have guarded themselves against having to tear up our plans should SJ leave. It's the correct decision. Most managers come in and want to buy their own players which causes wastage. This way the manager comes in and knows that he wont have final say and it's transparent. Which player have we signed that Joka wont play on current evidence? Djalo? Who's started 1 out of 5 games (and probably will tonight) and been on the bench for the other 4. I actually would trust Kline to judge what the club can afford and play with a budget accordingly which he has done well. It can almost be guaranteed that Kline will be here after SJ and as such is building a team with more of an eye to long-termism.

"Which player have we signed that Joka wont play on current evidence?" - Pestos, Jozabed, Cyriac and Siggurdsson. Djalo won't get near the side in a proper game as Joka doesn't seem to rate him, hence he will only be trusted against the likes of Wycombe.

You trust Kline to judge a player over Jokanovic? That is madness.

But we're missing the point by debating our transfer policy, I used it merely as an example, the point is if Khan was looking to sell, its not the end of the world, we could end up much better off as a result with an owner who takes direct responsibility for the running of the club, I understand Khan's priority is the Jags, which is fine, but having an owner who's only priority is Fulham wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't think that's a silly point to make at all.
C O Y W

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Chutney on August 22, 2017, 02:56:48 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 22, 2017, 02:47:59 PM
If Khan was to sell, and we were to get an owner who considers us as more than a side project and actually gets involved themselves rather than handing us down to his son, surely that's a good thing?

MAF's plan as he told us was to pass it on to his remaining son, but of course that didn't happen. Would you have been happy with that?

LOL +1

There's a difference between putting your son on the board with very high level oversight, as MAF did, versus putting your son in charge of player recruitment, something traditionally within the manager's, scouts' and/or DoF's mandate (in any case an experienced football professional, probably an ex-player).

Let's be clear, what Khan has done is only one step away from insisting we play his sister up front against Ipswich.

I'm happy with his ownership overall but I don't think what Chutney has said is "silly"

Suggesting his son who runs a sports data company being put in charge of recruitment is any where near his sister playing up front against Ipswich is also silly. In fact it's beyond silly.

My point is, be it silly or not, that there is no need to panic about Khan selling, as long as the person he sells to the right person, it could well end up being a good thing, we just don't know.

Regarding the original question about MAF and his Son, no, I would not be happy had MAF put his son in charge of our recruitment.

Would you rather somebody like TK running recruitment or that we go down the road that Palace have just gone down and appoint an ex-player like Dougie Freedman who literally is the definition of a failed manager?

I'd prefer we give our manager and his staff the final say on the players we bring in, as it is them who decides if they play or not and them that know best what the team needs. So not the second one. Craig Kline is currently able to overrule Jokanovic, who do you trust more to judge a players ability?

I just think its a silly policy to sign players the manager has no intention of using and doesn't want. Final say on a player joining should be with Jokanovic, this clearly isn't the case while TK is in charge of recruitment.

I feel like we've gone back in time. We dont have a manager, Joka is a head coach. Its a different job description. Fulham have guarded themselves against having to tear up our plans should SJ leave. It's the correct decision. Most managers come in and want to buy their own players which causes wastage. This way the manager comes in and knows that he wont have final say and it's transparent. Which player have we signed that Joka wont play on current evidence? Djalo? Who's started 1 out of 5 games (and probably will tonight) and been on the bench for the other 4. I actually would trust Kline to judge what the club can afford and play with a budget accordingly which he has done well. It can almost be guaranteed that Kline will be here after SJ and as such is building a team with more of an eye to long-termism.

"Which player have we signed that Joka wont play on current evidence?" - Pestos, Jozabed, Cyriac and Siggurdsson. Djalo won't get near the side in a proper game as Joka doesn't seem to rate him, hence he will only be trusted against the likes of Wycombe.

But we're missing the point by debating our transfer policy, I used it merely as an example, the point is if Khan was looking to sell, its not the end of the world, we could end up much better off as a result with an owner who takes direct responsibility for the running of the club, I understand Khan's priority is the Jags, which is fine, but having an owner who's only priority is Fulham wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't think that's a silly point to make at all.

I think unless there is a billionaire Fulham fan then it'll never happen. The other option to a Khan realistically is a chinese investor or an oligarch. Id prefer a son who wants to prove himself to his father over that any day.

MJG

Quote from: Chutney on August 22, 2017, 02:56:48 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 22, 2017, 02:47:59 PM

LOL +1

Jozabed 100% a SJ pick

Waits for Statto to jump in. ;-)
Just the views of a long term fan

The Rock

Not to drift off topic - One thing that I think gets lost in translation is that the head coach vs. manager description is very American. American football only has head coaches, and they almost never have a hand in signings - they are only responsible for getting the best out of the players for the most part.

This is Khan's approach and Fulham is being run like an American team either by choice or he simply doesn't know better to draw from the strengths available from a different league/system.

Right or wrong, it's the Khan show and he is at least trying to get us promoted, and UK football is not an area of expertise for him (or American football for that matter).

MJG

Quote from: The Rock on August 22, 2017, 03:30:15 PM
Not to drift off topic - One thing that I think gets lost in translation is that the head coach vs. manager description is very American. American football only has head coaches, and they almost never have a hand in signings - they are only responsible for getting the best out of the players for the most part.

This is Khan's approach and Fulham is being run like an American team either by choice or he simply doesn't know better to draw from the strengths available from a different league/system.

Right or wrong, it's the Khan show and he is at least trying to get us promoted, and UK football is not an area of expertise for him (or American football for that matter).
Im fine with this setup.
Having seen in the last decade Sanchez, Jol and Magath have free reign pretty much to sign who they want then to have a system in place that  looks to reduce errors count me in.
Just the views of a long term fan

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2017, 03:33:16 PM

Im fine with this setup.
Having seen in the last decade Sanchez, Jol and Magath have free reign pretty much to sign who they want then to have a system in place that  looks to reduce errors count me in.

Absolutely, my point exactly. Should mean that we dont have an exodus when SJ leaves but equally the club may sell favourites in view of their larger strategy.

RaySmith

I must admit to being largely won over to the Kline approach by the success of recent signings, especially when you think of all the money wasted on some past 'big name' signings, though I think  Slavisa, and scouts, should still have a say, as is stated club policy.

FulhamStu

Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2017, 03:33:16 PM

Im fine with this setup.

You just beat me too it Mike.  Magath was given full control by Khan and he had his fingers and wallet burned big time.  I suspect what we now see is partly due to Khans experience of Magath.
Let's be honest, last season was great, we just ran our of steam and did not get the luck in the playoffs.  This close season signings have been good again and now the head coach has to get the best out of them.  Injuries did not hurt us last,season but we are seeing already how they can hurt you, Slavs coaching skills are now critical.

hovewhite

Im coming round to thinking that khan has the right idea, setting up wht Jr and kline hope that joka gets a good imput and dont think he would have signed a new contract if it wasnt the case.

SG

Personally despite what he says I don't believe that SJ has no say in who comes in and out. Also I think his coaching leaves something to be desired.we continue to concede goals, and get nullified by the opposition because we play the same way every time . So I am happy that we have recruitment at least partly independent of him