watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Europa or FA Cup?

Started by The Equalizer, February 05, 2010, 09:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

An interesting question was posted on the new TFI group on Facebook the other day. What would you prefer to win?

I'm really undecided about this one. I think it would be amazing to bask in the glory of winning one of the most recognised and historic domestic trophies, but to join the ranks of the few that have held aloft a European cup would be incredible.

But whilst thinking of this another question popped into my head, has any club won a European trophy before winning a major domestic one?

For argument's sake, I'm not including the InterToto in this.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

White Noise

Its the The FA Cup for me.

It has more prestige and would have a greater positive impact on the future of the club.

It would also be at Wembley and more Fulham fans would be able to attend and the historical significance for Fulham fans would be immense. Though it undoubtedly wouldn't match 1975 for turning Fulham black and white it would also be nice to see those sorts of celebrations which I don't think The Europa would generate.

I think it is more high profile around the world weith more people watching it and therefore any benefit we might get for winning either in terms of attractiveness to new players would be greater with the FA Cup.

I think it would positively change perceptions of the club in The UK and put several thousand on the season ticket list and therefore maybe prompt the re-start of the ground development and expansion.

I think it would see Roy more widely feted for his achievements than a Europa win and maybe encourage the board to spend more money.

I think an FA Cup final would also see many of our overseas supporters in attendance which maybe they would not be in as large numbers for a Europa final. It would be great to meet those guys and to see the reaction from hundreds of Yanks when Dempsey steers one in from the byline. 

It would also be a perfect English summer's day, there would the biggest turnout of Fulham fans since the old King was on the throne and it would live in the memory as a perfect day - despite the week of non-stop celebrating that would ensue.

finnster01

I have to echo the sentiments so eloquently put forward by Mr WN

I wouldn't turn my nose up for a win in Europe, but Fulham at Wembley winning the FA Cup will make many a grown man cry
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LordFloyd

If we are talking this year?  The Europa for me, how often are we gonna get the chance to play in Europe?

cebu

Quote from: LordFloyd on February 05, 2010, 11:51:37 AM
If we are talking this year?  The Europa for me, how often are we gonna get the chance to play in Europe?

I take your point LF, but 2 trips to Wembley would really stick in the memory. Probably more so than a trip to Hamburg. 

finnster01

Quote from: LordFloyd on February 05, 2010, 11:51:37 AM
Well if we win the FA Cup, we'll be playing in Europe again next year
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Burt

Agree with WN... FA Cup for me. Can't wait...

CorkCity

I hate that silly Europa cup , from a personal point of view the sooner we go out of it the better, it really messes up my travel with games on Sunday.
I have a good feeling about the FA Cup though.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

OldBrownShoe

Without a doubt and probably in keeping with the wishes of older supporters, the FA Cup.  WE HAVE UNFINISHED BUSINESS!  (And there would still be street parties all over the spiritual land that is Fulham if we won. Indeed even if we lost.)

F.A CUP; Gosh is it still called that and not something like the Colgate Total Care TOOTHPASTE With Added Teeth Whitener F.A.Challenge CUP?  ;D

The F.A. Cup is seen all around the world and I don't believe there will be a great deal of kudos winning the Europa Cup or at least not as much as we think.  I would be very happy if we won it but my preference is the F.A. Cup. :)
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again