watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Northern ireland

Started by aussierod, August 25, 2017, 10:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussierod

With Oliver Norwood called up to the Northern Ireland international side i browsed through their squad and was shocked to see Roy Carroll still playing in goals, with Aaron Hughes also getting called up. I would have thought both players international careers finished a few years ago.

Does anyone know if Aaron Hughes is getting many games playing in Scotland

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

Marcel_Gecov

AH is backup really, played 9 times for Hearts after playing 6 times in melbourne and has only played 40 games since he left us in 2014. Hes 37, career is winding down but seems to enjoy being part of a squad which is why I imagine he keeps going.

Tomo

It really does show you how poor the quality of the pool of players.

Only Roy Carroll actually plays in the Northern Irish Premier League.. no others not even a youngster!

It's sad to see in all honesty..
"We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it." - Che Guevara

King_Crud

They made a decent showing at the Euros. I was at their game against Ukraine, their fans took over Lyon for three days and you could not find a better bunch. Good times.

hovewhite

Good luck to them and hope the carry on and do well.

Marcel_Gecov

I couldn't get over the fact that in 20 years Carroll has only played for NI 45 times.

The Rock

NI Has a population of like 1.8 million people. London area alone is like 8-9 million. There simply aren't that many people, let alone world quality footballers.

Holders

Goodness, Pat Jennings been dropped then?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 25, 2017, 01:36:11 PM
I couldn't get over the fact that in 20 years Carroll has only played for NI 45 times.

Why? He was largely second choice behind Maik Taylor and now Michael McGovern, and when the international calendar doesn't include tournaments, there are less games. But he was part of the title winning Linfield team, and played champions league games this summer and played a blinder to stop Celtic getting double figures.

As for the talent pool, for having only 1.8m people in the country which is similar to Latvia or something like that, being on an island where players are free enough to choose for which side of the island they play for, and also a country without a professional league,, I think we're doing just fine considering there's 13 points on the board (1 less than England) in a group containing Czech, Germany and Norway.

I think one main point is that outside of the "BIG" countries, not many players announce retirement and will always be on hand to help out or lend experience, especially when we need as much help and support as possible. Maybe he could pick an 18 year old with no caps but he could also pick Aaron Hughes who may not play but whose experience is invaluable.

Then again, we could just use Theresa's £1bn to buy Neymar and Mbappe?

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Holders on August 25, 2017, 02:09:24 PM

Pat Jennings of course, being Newrys finest ever export..!

Holders

Quote from: Newry FFC on August 25, 2017, 02:11:16 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on August 25, 2017, 01:36:11 PM

Why? He was largely second choice behind Maik Taylor and now Michael McGovern, and when the international calendar doesn't include tournaments, there are less games.

As for the talent pool, for having only 1.8m people in the country which is similar to Latvia or something like that, being on an island where players are free enough to choose for which side of the island they play for, and also a country without a professional league,, I think we're doing just fine considering there's 13 points on the board (1 less than England) in a group containing Czech, Germany and Norway.

I think one main point is that outside of the "BIG" countries, not many players announce retirement and will always be on hand to help out or lend experience, especially when we need as much help and support as possible. Maybe he could pick an 18 year old with no caps but he could also pick Aaron Hughes who may not play but whose experience is invaluable.

Then again, we could just use Theresa's £1bn to buy Neymar and Mbappe?

Mr. Newry, just to be clear and to satisfy my curiosity, am I right in thinking that out of that 1.8m people, footballers would elect to play for the Republic or NI on the usual 60:40 split? Or are there people who would play for the North because born there, other considerations aside? Just curious, having visited NI and the Republic numerous times and still can't get my head around it all!

o

aaronmcguigan

Surely depends on individual mindset, upbringing, views as well as chance of playing and success. Anyone brought up in a nationalist/republican/Irish background , I don't think would want to play for a country representing Britishness or having to see the union flags and singing along to God Save the Queen.
Then again some players may not have had that strong an upbringing and base the decision on chance of qualification for tournaments or actual chances of getting international football.

No Southern players choose to play for the North but plenty Northerns play for the south like Gibson, McClean, OKane, Duffy, and Seamy Coleman.

It's the players prerogative but it's nothing new, some people see the country as a separate country and aligned to the UK, whereas some view it as the country of Ireland, national pride will dictate what you represent.

For example, I'm from Newry, on the border, geographically in the North, but 99% nationalist area and generally the majority would declare Irish as a nationality.

Very vague definition but the best I can come up with without the usual politics and religion entering discussion.

MikeCdawg

Quote from: Newry FFC on August 25, 2017, 02:13:58 PM

What's happening with the team newry city? Are they back up and running? I heard they were liquidated a few years back. Cliftonville fan here haha

Holders

Quote from: Newry FFC on August 25, 2017, 02:28:55 PM
Surely depends on individual mindset, upbringing, views as well as chance of playing and success. Anyone brought up in a nationalist/republican/Irish background , I don't think would want to play for a country representing Britishness or having to see the union flags and singing along to God Save the Queen.
Then again some players may not have had that strong an upbringing and base the decision on chance of qualification for tournaments or actual chances of getting international football.

No Southern players choose to play for the North but plenty Northerns play for the south like Gibson, McClean, OKane, Duffy, and Seamy Coleman.

It's the players prerogative but it's nothing new, some people see the country as a separate country and aligned to the UK, whereas some view it as the country of Ireland, national pride will dictate what you represent.

For example, I'm from Newry, on the border, geographically in the North, but 99% nationalist area and generally the majority would declare Irish as a nationality.

Very vague definition but the best I can come up with without the usual politics and religion entering discussion.

Yes, I appreciate your caution about raising contentious subjects and that's about the situation that I'd imagined. I've seen GAA flags flying in Newry as they would in the South, without knowing of its makeup. I like both the Republic and the North but they certainly have a different "feel" that I can't quite put my finger on. The North reminds me a bit of Scotland but, to be honest, the Republic feels more relaxed. 

I've had people raise "the subject" with me in the Republic when they hear that I'm English and some of the things that concern them deeply on a day-to-day basis (like what particular sect someone is) would be totally irrelevant to me raised in secular England. Here, one might just about know if someone might be a christian or not - but not what particular orientation. It just doesn't matter. Other people in the Republic have spoken of the troubles in the North, waving their arm as if it's thousands of miles away.

It's a bit of an enigma to me which is why I asked and I can fully understand why people in the North have the choice of which to represent.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: mikecdawg-ffc on August 25, 2017, 04:13:17 PM
Quote from: Newry FFC on August 25, 2017, 02:13:58 PM

What's happening with the team newry city? Are they back up and running? I heard they were liquidated a few years back. Cliftonville fan here haha

3 promotions in 4 years, back in the Championship. They made a documentary about the rise from the ashes, premiere screening was last week and think they're trying to get it released now