watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Positive underwhelming signings....

Started by Marinelloguthrie, August 31, 2017, 11:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marinelloguthrie

Just watched the you tube clip on the new guy, not something I normally do but it made think about past signings.

We all like a 'marquee' signing but of the top of my head I have made a list of players who at the time of signing were not particularly at the top of their game in previous season or seasons. Probably perceived at the time as underwhelming signings also they were not expensive signings as far as I can remember.

Whether your an expensive signing or for free it is often about being comfortable at a club, including feeling some kind of warmth from supporters, being part of a motivated squad and being managed by a very good manager. They are also players that in my opinion hold a significant place in our history.

Will also add that up to the al fayed era I can't remember ever really having high expectations of transfers in before then (George best apart). Probably because 2 signings a year was seen as being frivolous especially as we never had money. (You youngsters are spoilt)

I'm thinking of the following;

Boa morte
McBride (very hard act to follow)
Murphy
In fact all of Roy's team apart from schwartzer who I was expecting to be good although on a free I think, Zamora cost a bit I think and gera who i was expecting high things of and that also includes baird.
Malone (even though only one season)

Anymore suggestions?

AlexW132

Pretty much all the signings last year everyone was underwhelmed by, or at least weren't thrilled by except for Jozabed and Martin, and look how they ended up.

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: AlexW132 on August 31, 2017, 11:27:28 PM
Pretty much all the signings last year everyone was underwhelmed by, or at least weren't thrilled by except for Jozabed and Martin, and look how they ended up.

Yeah but we had or rather I had hopes for Cairney, MacDonald and kalas to name a few because we knew their talent and they had decent seasons the season before..

Tabby

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on September 01, 2017, 07:20:33 PM

Yeah but we had or rather I had hopes for Cairney, MacDonald and kalas to name a few because we knew their talent and they had decent seasons the season before..

Cairney wasn't signed last year.

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Tabby on September 01, 2017, 07:33:12 PM
Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on September 01, 2017, 07:20:33 PM

Cairney wasn't signed last year.

I know